• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Syrian Rue & Harmala MAOI Alkaloids Thread

Most people seem to find huge differences between the subjective effects of MAOIs within the "harmaloid" class alone. Of harmaline, harmine, and tetrahydroharmine, harmaline is generally reported to be the least recreational, and the most sedating and "stoning" of the harmala alkaloids, but the most potent MAO inhibitor. THH is, on the other hand, reportedly stimulating, euphoric, and mildly psychedelic -- and the least effective MAOI. Harmine lies somewhere in the middle.

There's a wealth of information on MAOIs / RIMAs over at the DMT-Nexus.

Most people seem to find huge differences between the subjective effects of MAOIs within the "harmaloid" class alone. Of harmaline, harmine, and tetrahydroharmine, harmaline is generally reported to be the least recreational, and the most sedating and "stoning" of the harmala alkaloids, but the most potent MAO inhibitor.

Thanks! I think my first Ayahuasca experience might have been 100% the result of syrian rue. It was my first time taking an maoi and my first time taking mimosa. I assumed the insanely high body load was due to dmt, or mimosa. I assumed dmt was the main course, and Rue was just a little thing to make the dmt active. Then I learned both substances are active on their own, and syrian rue can be a monster all by itself. I don't think I metaolized any dmt bc I barfed up the mimosa within about 15 minutes, and only got a few sips. I took about 5g of Syrian Rue. I didn't see any characteristic dmt lines, but did become quite dreamy, and severely dizzy, which I suspect was the result of Rue. I shall experiment with mimosa and lower of syrian rue. I'd bet even 1.5g of Syrian Rue would be enough to activate dmt.

I know this post is 8 years old but I remember several of my freinds would get contact highs from the rest of us being on LSD. They would usually smoke a lot of hashish or high grade pot as well. In one case we wrote down what we believed was occurring without talking about it between 5 of us. After the experience a comparison of notes showed our experiences were not just similar but identical. A truely shared experience where we were not even sure whose mind was originating a thought.

I'd love to hear more experiences of the harmalas alone - I've search for many and it sounds potentially promising if more nausea inducing than somethings. Thinking of trying it as well as trying smoking either harmine or a harmaline/harmine mix.

As for moclobemide mention earlier in the thread by many it is totally different as a predose to mushrooms = in truth not a fan of shrooms but harmalas are far and away superior - they add there own spirit, they are the basis of ayahuasca (and sometimes used singularly which is why they deserve more attention).

Lotsof did some research into antiaddiction with these (somewhat closer to iboga than NN tryptamines) and of course Naranjo did therapuetic work - I feel they are like bufoteine a bit of an under researched molecule.

Finally are there any guesses to useful modifications or substitutions theorised for this substance/s? I'd be interested - in a minority I guess since everyone is so petrified of the MAOIs but it's actually reversable (RIMA); most of that is a bit over the top, not fully informed.

That is true but without testing there aren't many clues - I was wondering since some are well versed in chem/SAR if they had any intuitions or may if the chem has come any further - I guess not. I think at the DMT nexus or eslewhere one of the minor haramalas THH (?) had been isolated and got good results; must read it all again but it doesn't seem basic questions like moving the 5Me0 to the does or sticking on a 4OH would do; that might be over simplisic and a breif look again shows the number conventions don't look the same.

Post 153 tried harmaline/harmine before a small left over dose of LSD; no potentiation - some effects from the harmalas which did particularly help raise the small acid dose into anthing more useful. Were it a fairly useless amount of shrooms I am thinking a hefty harmala dose might have given some joy; the shrooms for their faults seems better meshed with it as well as potentially stronger.

Any clues on alternative routes of ingestion for harmalas?

Sprinkling some onto smokable herbs seems to work fairly well, and is pleasant.
Vaporizing it from a glass pipe is incredibly harsh on the lungs and you end up loosing a huge amount coughing.
Nasally it burns like hell.

I want to use harmine HCl as an maoi, but I'm not sure about the dosage. I've read that 200mg is a good dose, but people don't specify whether they use a salt or freebase. Would 200mg of the hydrochloride be enough?

Short and easy Question: How much Harmala Alkaloids can you extract from 100g of Syrian Rue ? In THIKAL it says ~ 4% Alkaloids, but as they don't say Harmine/Harmaline I thought it must be every Alkaloids and this is of course not the answer to my question then. Thx !

From experience harmaline didn't potentiate LSD - since it's active it can have additive effects though.