• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Psychedelic Thought Loops Thread

There is a rhythm beyond the thought or the action that is looping. Stop listening/obeying the thought or the action and pay attention to the experience of the rhythm that it belongs to.

when i do nitrous (on top of another psych) i have this loop-related revelation: We're all stuck on repeat, moving forward slightly at the end of each repeat. We do the same things day in day out only improving or progressing so slightly compared to the amount of hum-drum activities we engage in every day. Gave me the aim of breaking out of this cycle, doing something radical and new, which i just havent gotten around to yet... :(

This repetition also draws big parralels with buddhism (which i've recently made part of my life), death-rebirth cycles with the aim of acheiving enlightenment thus breaking free of the cycle.

There is always a moment of deja vu (at least for me) when you notice your thought processes begining to become repetetive. If you notice it before you are all the way into the loop, a good balloon of nitrous can almost always free you of its grasp. Doesnt work for everyone, but its definitely worth a try if you have the materials at hand. A good baloon can also help lighten a bad trip, but dont do it more than 3x in a night.

^^3 in a night? i wish i had the self control to stop at three haha
once i start nitrous it just keeps on going till theres no more left =D

On first time lsd I was looping around emptying my pockets and re arranging them because i wanted to go out, then it was like, oh im emptying my pockets again and im facing this direction again and im doing this pattern again. oh, now im emptying my pockets again and so forth... Then all of a sudden my ego saved me... (who woulda thought?) "Go with the flow man!" Then i jump on my bed and start smiling and look at patterns on my ceiling lol

There is a rhythm beyond the thought or the action that is looping. Stop listening/obeying the thought or the action and pay attention to the experience of the rhythm that it belongs to.

brilliant man, it was like i was OBEYING my unconcious minds command to do this over and over till i realized what the fuck am i suffering for. Suffering isn't quite the right word, but fuck language.

I have had this several times on pot, a few times on psychedelics and salvia always does this to me, hence why I dont like it much but plan on venturing back.

I recall one time at a party I just drank one beer and took one hit of some... i think he called it cheese weed? I dunno, it was sativa though that is for sure and wam! They were battle rapping (some guys from a hardcore band) and everyone was laughing and they kept saying the same stuff over and over! My friend even fucked with me more when he said "they keep saying that!"

hahahah I freaked out and left the party and it was barely 11. Ran to my car and turned it on than looked and prayed that the time would change. It did, i sighed in relief and turned on some deadmau5! :]

Loops are freaky, but funny afterwards.

I also recall one time me and my GF were on 15mg of 2c-e and smoked about .4 Gs of pot. MAD Loops but luckily i would pull out of them, she on the other hand kept getting stuck and would look at me and grin and than cry. it was so scary, i thought she lost it. lol.

We also felt frames of life, like we were moving on a film belt and stuff. I dont know how to explain it, it was really cool but creepy.

when i do nitrous (on top of another psych) i have this loop-related revelation: We're all stuck on repeat, moving forward slightly at the end of each repeat. We do the same things day in day out only improving or progressing so slightly compared to the amount of hum-drum activities we engage in every day. Gave me the aim of breaking out of this cycle, doing something radical and new, which i just havent gotten around to yet... :(

This repetition also draws big parralels with buddhism (which i've recently made part of my life), death-rebirth cycles with the aim of acheiving enlightenment thus breaking free of the cycle.

YES! This is exactly what i've been experiencing and trying to put my finger on. It was completely escaping me until last week. I tried Methylone and Butylone on 2 different nights, both with some nitrous. I had also given up nicotine the day before, which apparently can have time dilation as a side effect.

I experienced this repeat with moving forward slightly for hours after the effects of nitrous and Butylone should have worn off until I finally fell asleep. The whole next day at work, I felt off and kept having the same feeling. Now I'm completely sober, with the exception of lack of sleep and nicotine withdrawal, so I'm able to pick out some parts of the loop and notice simlarities with what I can remember from recent nitrous experiences. It's like deja vu but the exact moment doesn't repeat, just very similar movements and feelings.

I experience the same exact thing last night and today with a Methylone/Butylone combo taken last night without any nitrous. As I'm coming down from the M1/B1, the loop starts and was very similar to last week. I have the distinct feeling that I'm getting close to the revelation about the nature of time and the universe from nitrous and psychs that has eluded me for a while.

^ Wow, when I first read that orginial post by Mr.White i wasn't in the mood for reading and ignored it, but now that I read it. I've thought of the exact same thing you 2 have.

Theres something I really am curious about. How come so many humans get the same thoughts, revelations, conspiracies if you will about life and the world and time and space??
There has got to be some sort of TECHNIQUE to how to come to terms with thie unkown, the hidden.. I really hope people understand what I am saying, i;m not always the best at wording stuff but I think i may be getting better.

And this is a real coincidence. Somebody today was just telling me about all these things, about how our thoughts and feelings and wishes and wants with patience, will come true, and other ramblings about auras and "the secret".. All ties together, to me all I can think is that there is some sort of hidden force that people know about and I don't. And are trying to hint me to it but I am too naive to get it, or maybe the ego gets in the way of true understanding.

Who knows, huh?

Last edited:
Winner: You're last paragraph reminded me of something else about this idea that I forgot to mention. I have this distinct feeling that books that I have read, conversations that I've had with people, and insights from trips are all pushing me in some direction, toward a real relevation.

I do find it incredibly compelling that the OP and you both had the exact same experience as me, not just a time loop.

I recently experienced an interesting variation of the thought loop on DPT: degraded re-experience of everything with a two second delay, for about an hour. It may not be important, but sometimes looking into an analogical phenomena reveals insights into the target phenomena. I wrote a trip report about it last week.

This quote from the report explains why the experience was similar but different:
In over a decade of psychedelic experiences and reading others' reports I've not encountered or heard of anything like what's happening to me now. It’s not an eternal tailspin into the recesses of the psyche or LSD's thought loopty-loop psychosis. It’s not something I can’t stop thinking about because it’s just so damned intriguing or a perseverative behavior spurred on by compulsion. ...

To understand the nature of what I'll be describing more clearly imagine walking into a quiet empty room at 1 pm. A cuckoo clock whirs to life, startling you, and you twist your head to see it. It gives one quick “cuckoo.” Giggling at yourself, you watch as the tiny bird snaps back behind the doors of the clock. At 1 pm. and two seconds the clock's doors have just shut, yet suddenly you're struck with the same sense of surprise you had when you heard the mechanism first start 2 seconds ago. Less than half a second later the sensation of twisting your head to see the clock recurs. You experience vertigo because in truth you haven't physically moved a bit. Still standing there looking at the cuckoo clock’s closed doors you can almost see the bird pop out and almost hear it's chime. It's more than a vivid memory. What you're experiencing is so transporting that you feel at a far distance from the image of the clock that is actually present an arm's length before you now, like you're a step behind yourself and trailing in time. Expressionless, you feel a mild sense of relief followed by a short spike of elation and a blush spread across your face. This is what that laugh you had at yourself a moment ago would have felt like if you hadn't smiled. You're getting the first hints that something's seriously wrong. Now the muffled echo of that 2 second old laughter is mixed with brand new confusion, which will soon mount to dread. You turn to leave at 1 pm. and 4 seconds, yet as you take your first step you feel a part of you is still standing still, looking at the just closed doors of the clock... This is what's just happened to me.

DUDE, the worst one for me
was when i was pissing, while being FUCKINg faded (some maryjane).

it took me 5 minutes ti get it out, it was js the feeling like as if the piss was trying to come out but comeing bak in.

than when it came out
i was js zoned out, and i was pissing, but didnt feel the piss come out, and i thought i didnt have my "junk". than started tripping, and i was js in a loop, and i was taking forever pissing.
than i snapped bak to reality, and it felt like i js woke up for a 20 hr dream.

Considering that psychedelics often cause temporal dilation and temporary alteration of working and short-term memory, this is common. Don't worry, you won't ever get 'stuck forever.'

I don't necessarily agree, to me it can feel like when you are in an infinite loop that even though there is a way out it doesn't change the sensation that the loop-'dimension' is really infinite. This is threatening to escalate into a deeply philosophical discussion but it all depends on the timescale you are measuring. Sure under normal circumstances we experience it as a flowing continuum, but apparently there can be loops in it. The most intense loop I ever had made it seem like what I was experiencing recurred indefinately. It is impossible for me to say it happened 2 times or even 10 billion times, there is no answer possible. But sure enough here I am, I escaped. Is that not how it works with closed circuitry? There can be an impossible number of revolutions but it is a completely relative question at what point the circuit is left.

The LSD/Psychedelic Thought Loop

Many people speak of the LSD thought loop, especially when talking about psychosis or hallucinogen persisting perception disorder (HPPD). My subjective understanding of the LSD thought loop, which I have experienced, is when a finite mind is exposed to the infinite. This leads to seemingly contradicting and paradoxical thoughts which tend to cycle or loop. Some people get caught within this loop which can have negative effects.

Some realize our entire reality is a paradox intuitively. I have come to understand that our perceivable reality is based on polarities that are both independent because they are opposite yet dependent on one another for each other's existence. Our brains are hardwired to perceive in binary terms. If all we experienced was black, it would be a void and not even the concept of black could exist. Once black is contrasted with white, both polarities become perceivable to the human mind, and therefore they are both independently dependent.

Another common paradoxical loop I have experienced is the concept that time perpetuates linearly in circles. Years go forward while the months go round. The cycling of the seasons through the Earth's cycle around the sun stabilizes time which allows it progress forwards. These paradoxical understandings can have positive effects if one is ready to integrate them. These paradoxical understandings can also lead to psychosis and confusion.

This is simply my subjective interpretation of the LSD though loop that I have personally experienced, and it is extremely difficult to convey this phenomena in words. I was interested in everyones thoughts, reflections and understandings of the LSD thought loop to gain a more holistic understanding of this common theme of "looping" that many people experience on psychedelics. This could be in the context of all psychedelics, not just LSD, but LSD is the only psychedelic I have used rather extensively and have had profound realizations of this common theme of "looping" or "cycling" with. I'm interested if other people have contrasting or comparable understandings of this phenomena.

As you may notice, all of the threads I have started on bluelight end with one of my quotes which reflects my understanding of this phenomena:

<The yin-yang sums up the perpetuation of existence. A paradoxically positive/negative feedback loop which allows time to perpetuate linearly in circles.>

Maybe you can be more than the sum of your external reality?

So remove everything you've mentioned & you are left with "I am" - or do you disagree?

Personally psychedelics have taught me that nothing is dual in nature, everything is a gradient

The first persisting thought loop I experienced occurred when I tried to record my thoughts (first with a voice recorder, then with blog entries) while tripping. I began to model it as a way of speaking to my future self, and in the process of trying as hard as I could to make sure that I was perfectly accurate in reporting my thoughts to my sober future self, I found myself completely confounded by the question of how I could edit the recording and what that would accomplish.

See, if I had a thought that I decided wasn't worth writing down, I still felt as if I should write it down, if only to record the fact that I made the decision that it wasn't worth writing down (because I didn't want to give an incomplete account) ... this led to a lot of extremely circular thoughts and very little actual writing happening.

I've noticed a lot more than that in the theme of cycles, fractals, and feedback loops since then. Needless to say, I consider it one of the most prominent and (in a way) predictable features of tripping, and when I feel as if an anomalous experience is a manifestation of a cycle or loop, I can feel comfortable with it because it makes sense to me.

In response to B9... I believe consciousness is eternal, and that we are all part of what Hindus call Brahma or "Ultimate Reality" and therefore there truly is only "I am". As the late great comedian/philosopher Bill Hicks stated in his famous routine 'Positive Drug Story'... a newscast states "Today a young man on acid realized today that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration. We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream and we are the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."

There truly is only consciousness and all subjective consciousness is connected yet distinct from our external world, another apparent paradox. I do agree that we are much more than the sum of our external reality. I'm just trying to understand everyone's thoughts on experiencing this external reality while on psychedelics, and the implications of the recurring themes of mental "loops" which have led to psychosis in some and a form of awareness or "enlightenment" in others.

Last edited: