View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Medication/Supplement Interaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok thanks for that!. Does anyone know what would happen if i skipped a day of antiphycotics and had more mda than usual if i would get the same effects as before i went on the meds?

depends on how long you've been taking the prescriptions. if you've been taking them for long enough to get their full effect, skipping a day generally won't significantly lower your tolerance to psychedelic chemicals and you'll require a higher dose to get to the same level of effects.

remember, don't od on the mda - it may be a psychedelic, which you have a tolerance to, but it's also an amphetamine, which you may not have a tolerance to.

And yes, both the anti-psychotic and the ssri you're taking will increase your tolerance to mda.

Best advice? Get your current challenges sorted out before adding additional drugs on top of things.

If you are on Zyprexa, which is quite a heavy hitter, the odds are you were experiencing some real distress prior to taking it. Persons who have an underlying psychiatric disorder should probably avoid pretty much all drugs and alcohol. This fact may suck, but it is probably better than the very real alternative possibility (involuntary hospitalization, worsening symptoms, etc.).

Skipping meds for any period of time is probably a bad idea as it will not greatly improve the effects of serotonin agonist drugs (i.e. MDA / MDMA / Psychedelics) but will increase vulnerability to relapse / decompensation with regard to whatever problems you were taking the medications for in the first place.

As for the effects. Both agents you are taking will notably reduce (if not completely eliminate) the effects of agents such as compounds in the MDxx class or psychedelics. In order to get regular effects off of the MDA you would probably have to push the dosing into levels that are neither safe not advisable. The nitrous oxide is a different story. As far as I can tell there is no reason to suspect a large change in effects… but its full method of action is still poorly understood. From what I can tell it does not really have dopamine or serotonin effects, but largely operates on the structure of neurons themselves so it should probably be largely or completely exempt from the effects of either an antidepressant or antipsychotic medication.

Anyone who has or might have a psychiatric disorder should very carefully consider any starting or stopping of a drug.

I B

LSD and SSRIs

Man was I pissed when I discovered, several days after my first experience with acid, that SSRIs basically cancel out the hallucinogenic properties of LSD. I was on Paxil at the time and was warned that it might reduce the effects, but I figured it would still have some sort of impact. I was wrong...aside from sum stimulation, the trip was a dud. I took note of the street lights, which were vibrant...but I've noticed that with DXM, oxycodone and even high doses of lorazepam (Ativan). If I get another chance to drop acid, and I'm hoping I will though I have no means of getting any at the moment, how many days would you recommend I hold off on the Paxil?

Why SSRIs dampen acid trips

redgreenvnes said:
why do they cancel,
i thought it would be concertive
I read up on the mechanism of action of LSD, and according to an article I came across on Erowid it's possible that the hallucinogenic response is due to the stimulation of serotonin 5HT2 receptors. Following the adminstration of serotonin-selective antidepressants (for example Paxil), down-regulation (the process of suppressing a response to a stimulus) of these receptors may have occured eliminating the psychedelic effects of the acid.

Never knew that! Various RCs worked better than ever for me while on prozac.

Wait at least 2 weeks, 3 would be better till you take any more lsd. Should be out of your system by then or at least pretty much gone.

lucid.tripper said:
indeed I had to waste 3 perfectly good hits on my girlfriend to find this out.
Bummer...yeah, I'm pissed as hell I wasted that hit of acid. I have no connections at this point. The same thing happened to me with Ecstacy...

I think you should then do your research about which drugs are effected by SSRI's before you buy them. then you won't risk wasting money on hits or anything like that

Will methylone be active while on welbutrin?

I know that while on SSRI's drugs that increase seretonin will usually not be active. Since welbutrin does not affect seretonin receptors will methylone work?

this should be in the psychedelics forum, but i'll answer you anyway :)

in my experiences with methylone (and the fact that its a cathinone), i would guess that it works more on the DA and NE systems than 5HT; since wellbutrin is a DA reuptake inhibitor, it would likely inhibit the effects.

however, i've been surprised before when taking combinations, expecting them to work great and being dissapointed, and vice versa. all i can say is give it a shot and let everybody know the results.

THAdream said:
how many days would you recommend I hold off on the Paxil?
that depends on what is more important for you: getting your live straight or tripping.

i love psychedelics as well, but i would never get the idea to stop my medication, just to drop some acid!

I've tripped on while taking SSRIs, about as hard as my girlfriend, who took the same dose of the LSD, and was not on any SSRIs. Actually, come to think of it, it was effexor, which is not an SSRI but is a powerful SRI. It's just not selective. I was on a pretty high dose too.

I have another qustion about this combo, when reading up on wellbutrin it says it will cause seizures if too much is taken. Since methylone and wellbutrin are very similar in structure could taking methylone while on wellbutrin be dangerous? Has anyone done the two?

i would be careful mixing wellbutrin and just about anything. ive seen and heard of so many negative side effects from the wellbutrin all by itself..

Status
Not open for further replies.