Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Medication/Supplement Interaction Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
2c-e and lexapro

Im planning on taking some 2c-e soon and Im currently taking an SSRI (lexapro). Iv read on the internet that when taking 2c-e and an SSRI together it can be "palliative". Whatever that means, I dont seem to understand what that means exactly, maybe dulling the effects? Any advise wheather or not I should get off of this for a couple weeks or so before?

Adjective
1. Tending or serving to palliate. 2. Relieving or soothing the symptoms of a disease or disorder without effecting a cure.

Noun
1. One that palliates, especially a palliative drug or medicine.

I can't give you advise beyond that as I don't know the combination.

SSRI'S like lexapro have a reputation of greatly diminishing psychedelic effects from tryptamines, i have seen and paid for this first hand...

I dont know about phens, but i wouldnt risk wasting any 2c-e, just get off the meds if you can, obviously talk to a doctor first.

The SSRI's (such as Lexapro) have been shown to slightly alter the nature of depression, but certainly not alleviate it enough in most cases to outweigh their side effects such as flat affect or orgasmic interference.

Wellbutrin (N-tert-butyl-3-chloro-cathinone HCl) is NOT an SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor).

My good friend takes zoloft, a SSRI, in a 200 mg dose, and I've been trying my hardest to help him trip. He's tried 2c-i, 2c-e and boomers, all to very little response. Depending on how powerful your medication is, you will need more 2c-e. My friend took exactly 25 mg of 2c-e his first time while i took about 22 (my first time as well). My trip was mindblowing, scary and life-changing, his...was indifferent with mild euphoria. Throughout the trip he seemed to be fucked up in a normal sort of way, but he was confused when i started chatting about the ridiculous visuals i was experiencing, because he couldn't really see any. He took a whole 8th of shrooms, tripped a little, but again no visuals.

My brother was on 20mg of lexapro daily during the time we were experimenting with 2c-e and he had no major issues( other than some nausea with the combo up to 30 mg of 2c-e); and paradoxically, unlike most ssri's, he found the lexapro to increase his sensativity dramatically to seratogenic drugs such as 2c-e, 4-ho-dipt; and nmda drugs like dxm. Start with a low dose and remember, everyone reacts differently to this type of drug and anti-depressant.

egor said:
My brother was on 20mg of lexapro daily during the time we were experimenting with 2c-e and he had no major issues( other than some nausea with the combo up to 30 mg of 2c-e); and paradoxically, unlike most ssri's, he found the lexapro to increase his sensativity dramatically to seratogenic drugs such as 2c-e, 4-ho-dipt; and nmda drugs like dxm. Start with a low dose and remember, everyone reacts differently to this type of drug and anti-depressant.

He didnt think that his antidepressent dulled the trip at all?

No, he actually found he was far more sensative to 2c-e than we were. He would get similar effects to what we would get from 10 mg when we took 25mg.

As a note though, My roommate at the time found there to be no effect on intensity of 2c-e with lexapro. He took it both before and after he was prescribed lexapro and found no real difference in qualative effects.

Using MAOIs (yohimbe) with psychedelics - Safe ?

Tonight i'm planning on taking some Yohimbe (an MAOI/aphrodisiac) along with small amounts of MDMA, LSD, 2CB, mushrooms & K.

Has anyone taken MAOIs in combination with any of the above?
Is it safe to do so?

I know there are certain foods (cheese,beer etc.) & medications (decongestants etc.) that must be avoided but are there any psychoactives that are dangerous when combined with an MAOI ?

Also, how long after taking the MAOI can i return to eating the avoided foods?

Any info would be much appreciated. :)

I'm gonna move this to PD - especially given that you want a definitive answer sooner rather than later.

There are quite a few threads on the use of MAOI's and psychs, but I struggled to find one that directly answered your question... not unsurprising given the combination you're looking at.

MAOI / Yohimbe / Psychs:
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=279818&highlight=Yohimbe
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=60688
http://www.bluelight.ru/vb/showthread.php?t=130379&highlight=Yohimbe

Hopefully, someone more familiar with PD history should be able to point you in the right direction for each combo.

Best of luck.

I'm not sure about how the MAOI will affect the 2CB/K, however mixing MDMA+MAOI is a /very/ bad idea and can lead to a hypertensive crisis.

I would not recomend this combo at all if you value your health.

reversable MAOI's will potentiate most/all psychedelics which contain the indole structure. I think these are maoi a and b, I could be wrong. all I know is that syran rue has been used quite well on numberous tryptamines and lysergicamides with great, sometimes overpoweringly intence effects. Never realy any problem physicaly, maybe alil stomach discomfort or slight body temprature raising but over all nothing to cause any alarm, even when you are fucking spun beyond beliefe.

I personaly would never combine them though with anything else, heard/read to much about unbelievabley painful stomach cramps and extream nausia from mixing with phenethylamines. Though I will admit Iv combined them befor with DOI blotters but it wasnt the same as LSD/LSA. It had a curve to it but it was more on the head fuck side.

and realy, after doing it you'll prob wont want to again, its a ruff trip and mentaly taxing. VERY hard to enjoy your self.

Some points:

1 - Yohimbe is a very bad source of MAO inhibition because it has loads of perpheral effects and stimulation. If you want MAO inhibition, you should use a better one such as syrian rue, caapi vine or a pharmaceutical. Mixing yohimbe with other drugs that cause stimulation and powerful psychoactive effects is asking for trouble. If you want an aphrodesiac, yohimbe can be good (although I hate it personally... talk about jitters), but as an MAOI it's a bad choice. Its MAOI activity is not even very strong.

2 - Mixing MAOIs with MDMA is a terrible, very dangerous idea that can lead to hypertensive crisis and perhaps serotonin syndrome. MAOIs are just fine to mix with tryptamines, and some phenethylamines (although this can be dangerous), but for MDMA... you should really reconsider. You could end up in a lot of trouble or worse.

Yeah, yohimbine is a weak MAOI (aprox 1/100th of harmala alkaloids); the main reason it's troublesome with other stimulant/adrenergic drugs as it's an alpha-2 antagonist and the alpha-2 receptor is an autoreceptor which provides negative feedback (when stimulated by hugh levels of sympathiomimetic compounds, the alpha-2 receptor causes a reduction in sympathetic activity - acting as a brake & preventing unwanted responses. Now being an alpha-2 antagonist, it's like cutting the brake cables as it prevents the negative feedback receptor from working.

That's why it's associated with anxiety, high blood pressure etc when combined with stimulants etc. Best not combining it with any drug that has a significant effect on the catecholamine systems (dopaminergic & noradrenergic). Effectively I'd say forget about using it with any phenethylamine/amphetamine compound and with caution in combination with LSD (which has some dopaminergic & (nor)adrenergic activity, especscially at higher doses). Should be OK with tryptamine if that what you want.

I have a friend who had an extremely unpleasant experience with yohimbe + mdma. I highly recommend that you 1. don't use yohimbe to potentiate any other compound, and 2. if you must potentiate another compound, do not use yohimbe to do so. Yes, I said the same thing twice - don't do it!

Wellbutrin and DXM?

I take wellbutrin 150mg twice a day. Ive done DXM twice while prescribed to
Wellbutrin and both times i have had very unpleasant experiences. The first time i only took a dose of 180mg and i had spins and naseua all that night and a horrible hangover over the next 2 days. The second time i actually took 700mg of DXM in the form of 2 capsules that i was told were MDMA. Needless to say, that was really stupid and i quickly found out that i was not taking ecstasy when i started vomiting heavily and got a terrible headache and an intense body buzz that was very unpleasant. The trip ended up lasting at least 12 hours which seemed abnormal to me. I ended up having THE WORST hangover imaginable which lasted almost 3 days. I almost checked myself into the hospital because of it. Ive heard that many people enjoy DXM and get little or no hangover from it. I was wondering if it is possible that it is my Wellbutrin that could be causing such a bad reaction to the DXM.
Thanks for taking the time to read this and any responses would be appreciated.

I'm surprised you didn't actually have a siezure as on it's own bupropion is kbown to predispose people to siezures

Status
Not open for further replies.