• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy 'How have Psychedelics changed You' Thread

You're the imagination of yourself, so imagineer your way out of the shitty job if its not satisfying. :) (I'm serious, I'm not trying to be a smart-ass. There are multitudes of different ways to live a life, if the way you're living doesn't fulfill you then think up a way that will and bust your ass trying to make it happen. Life is too short to bullshit around on stuff like that, people gotta live a life that makes them happy. :))

Yeah, I was talking in a more general sense. Right now I'm not working, but I'm finding fulfillment in other ways.

It's just depressing to see so many folks doing things that negatively affect people just so they can have a small sense of personal satisfaction with their bank account, house, car, whatever. Things like that.

The world just doesn't make sense to me. I see whats going on in politics with the banks and bailouts. I see whats going on in regards to the warped system of "morals" we have in America and the laws that enforce them. I see how people get so caught up in tv, sports, etc. instead of finding time to better themselves, learn more, be better people.

I never considered myself an "outsider", but since starting my psychedelic career it's hard for me to relate to most people and dig what they're doing. I understand their motivations, I just don't agree with them at all. So, I've seen most friends turn back into acquaintances and seen my real friends whittle down to a close-knit, core group of folks that think like I do.

I try keeping a positive attitude though. I'm always willing to open up someone I think is a good person to psychedelics and try adding a little flavor to their life and maybe give them a new outlook on things. Lots of failures in that regard, but the successes are usually very worthwhile.

Just wondering how psychedelics make you think about the world and life as a whole...

A recent mushroom trip caused me to confront the idea that life could be just a game...

Like drug smuggling...Is the only reason you're afraid because you fear the consequences of being caught? Or do you really feel that deep down "DRUGS are BAD kids!!"

Sry for all the questions, but I'd love any feedback on how you all feel psychedelics have impacted the formation of your morals and life philosophies...

well, quite a lot yes, but dosing psychedelics only helped to facilitate/catalyze my already forming philosophies and theories about human existence.

when i was younger and eating the psilocybin fruit from the first few times i was constantly in this state of analytical mind game with the world around me. soon i found out the world around me is only what i have built up through my travels and perceptions. this led me to understand that i can make my existence whatever i please, which opened doors.

a majority of the time, the psilocybin shows you things for a reason. write about what you learned if you dig writing, art is also a good expression of these things. but if its truly important you will forever remember the knowledge gained, carry it around with you close, and you may take it with you next time. :)

existing on earth can be fun if you make it fun. peace and love.

There is an excellent revision (if liberal and perhaps 'sacreligious' to those who might still hold 'budhism' as a religion) of the tibetan book of the dead (or of death and life) by Timothry Leary and perhaps Dr. Richard Alpert which discusses these vary concepts

perhaps life is a game. perhaps it is real. perhaps everyone is a autonomous unique human being... perhaps we are all one... perhaps this is merely a dream, and you are meant to read this and wake... but of course you must awaken yourself...

and realize that none of these things are true... and all of these things are true.... and the absolute beauty of psychedelics is that first wave... when none of the petty words, or language you have learned can possibly describe... when the 'body' connected to your former ego experiances the true Void... and all worldly cares are dismissed as merely your ego's futile attempts to impose an insignificant, confused, and selfish agenda onto and exterior reality...

the beauty is that psychedlics make crystal clear the role that your 'mind' or brain takes in interpreting and defining reality... thus if one holds trippy shit on a pedastal, or enters the state correctly, one will be amazed by the beauty around them, and in a state of bliss... otherwise... one should learn from negative emotion, seek to alter these states of mind... find the true source of discontent, and if it is within one's control, to change it, to do so, and if not, to learn how be content despite it.

to answer your question: no. I do not believe in morals or ethics as the are socially and traditionally defined... however an existentialist binge led me to see the true void... that self improvement... or self-gratification with regards to the 'self' is equally meaningless, and that our bodies have adapted to show us this... dopamine and seratonin cannot keep flowing forever... eventually one will become adjusted to the psychedelic state... or their hard drug of choice... or whatever distraction from reality they might find... and then the jaded cynicism and depression will set in... and the only real cure I've found for that kind of lonely existential depression is love... that or suicide (slow or abrupt)... and life leaves the option up to you.

My two cents worth.

Last edited:
Are morals real or merely thousands of years of subjective experience confined to a small area inside of our heads?

These the only options?

neti neti folks

Think Mario! He eats mushies then becomes stronger! hahaha!

The world is a beautiful place, but the poeple in control of it are pretty fucked up..

I like psychedelics to take me as far as away from people and all the bullshit religions like buddhism as possible.

Euphoria, laughter, appreciation of nature, and lots of soft cuddles of my boxer dogs jowls.

Reminds me of the Bill Hicks quotes about those few who come back to tell us, "Don't be afraid! Life is just a game!" We then kill those people.

pseudononamouse nailed the thread for me. Psychedelics can help us think about something in a new way, but it's dangerous to romanticise them or treat them as ethical beings with a sense of agency. I'm a firm believer that any meaningful "content" we encounter comes from the unconscious, not elves in another dimension teaching us how to live or something.

I'm personally halfway between Nietszche and Lacan in terms of ethics - or perhaps a combination of the two, I have a close friend who insists they are one and the same revelation. Nietzsche teaches us to think ethics beyond the confines of good and evil. Of course, his whole 'deal' is will to power. To Nietzsche, desire is the ultimate truth of ethics. Moral codes are ways to hide from the full force of our desire, to avoid owning up to it. Nietzsche ultimately teaches us to be active and not reactive; rather than waiting for the outside world to give us an ethical situation to respond to, ethics is about how _we_ choose to go out an AFFECT the world rather than how we think/worry about its likely means of EFFECTING us. A lot of modern philosophers run with that idea of affect/effect and active/reactive. A lot of people seem to think Nietzsche was a Nazi, which is totally untrue. His little sister, however, became one after his death and edited many of his works. He was pretty apolitical himself, but Nazism is all about submission to a leader and Nietzsche would hate that aspect of it at the very least. Plus, feeling the need to harm others to feel good about yourself is reactive, and what Nietzsche calls ressentiment (basically resentment) - not a good way to live life at all. A Nietzschean 'hero' would come to terms with his own existence and relation to the world and learn to love it as it is rather than becoming obsessed with 'purifying' or 'perfecting' external reality by purging its undesirable aspects. It's obvious how that critique applies to Hitler, but in general this is a criticism Nietzsche has of anyone who lives stuck in resentment or concerns about others.

Lacan is the neo-Freudian I always wax poetic (read: ramble) about. His ethical insight is a bit simpler to explaim, IMO. Psychoanalysis teaches us that codified morality (some code of behavior that tells us whether any possible action should be seen as right or wrong) is also just an attempt to avoid confronting our own agency, to make all our decisions in advance when we decide on a code to follow so we never have to own up to a difficult moral choice again - "I just followed the rules," after all. Ultimately, Lacan concludes that, despite our best intentions, the real basis for any such system is our own hidden desire, usually to be a part of a system that tells us who we are and gives us a stable identity. Anyway, long story short, to Lacan, ethics means making a decision which is grounded neither in self-interested pursuit of pleasure nor in some pre-established code of good behavior, but is a decision we reach in the moment, as a totally subjective individual act not grounded in any appeal to some authority beyond your own agency.

In other words, while I don't think it's *un*ethical for someone to say "I don't hit people because violence is always wrong," I find it much *more* impressive on an ethical level when someone without any such "rule" is confronted with a situation where violence is obviously the easy way out but still refuses to do it because it just feels wrong. It is only at these moments that our subjective agency truly breaks free of the narrow-minded pursuit of desire in its various forms and we are forced to confront that infinitely deep void at the heart of our being. While that void is normally confronted as a terrifying lack of reality or presence, in these moments of ethical decision we can think the void positively, as the depth of our own infinite freedom. There is nothing that is at once as wonderful and as horrifying a gift as our own subjective freedom, after all.

At any rate, psychedelics have certainly been a part of my life and have helped me reach the philosophic conclusions I ultimately have, but no amount of acid could replace the books I've read or the conversations I've had about them. Psychedelics can grant a new perspective on something, but in my opinion they don't typically raise questions that weren't already there at least in your unconscious at some level, if that makes sense (sidenote: I'm increasingly a fan of ending complex thoughts about drugs or psychoanalysis (usually the combination of the two) with 'if that makes sense'. I shall avoid the urge to ramble on for another page psychoanalysing myself about that ; ).

I never considered myself an "outsider", but since starting my psychedelic career it's hard for me to relate to most people and dig what they're doing. I understand their motivations, I just don't agree with them at all.

I know exactly what you mean. Psychedelics have given me the confidence and insight to relate to myself and the world in which I live. I know I could never really become an "outsider" (rather I could only see myself as such), because we are all connected no matter what. But, psychedelics have definitely made me realize that above all we all are individuals. Obviously, society has a tendency to marginalize people and provide useless classifications that know no bounds. I think that's really when you start to see yourself. When you realize that you aren't just a function of some greater power, entity, or social system. You are yourself, free to make decisions as you please. I guess this is why the government sees psychs as such a dangerous thing. When people become empowered, they no longer need the systems that they once believed were protecting them. Lol yes its that simple. I think that's when we as people will see social/environmental change. When the world no longer revolves to chase a dollar...When it seeks a farther reaching substance...One that operates not out of fear, but rather out of LOVE. To me this is the simplest way to put it. I know I wasn't the first one to think of this novel idea, but really...Love is the way. People should act out of intrinsic motivation and chase the things they want. Life is simple when you reduce it to these terms. I guess there's just too many other things out there telling people who they are and what they should want. It's a rather unfortunate predicament that more of us haven't freed ourselves of society's shackles, but I guess that's why we live in the world in which we do...

this entire life is just a story. it could have all happened ANY other way, but it happened like this. the truth is it shouldn't have happened at all, this is just lucky. every single one of us is a character in a fucking epic. you are a part of an epic tale. you are an IMPORTANT part of an epic tale, all of you. and here's the best part, you get to decide where the epic goes! every character changes the outcome of the next chapters depending on their actions. so, what do you want to happen next? it all depends on YOU, so make the best of it, and make a good story.

that's how i view life. we're all gonna die, but everything is immortalized as if it were written in stone, whether we know it or not. we all have the potential to make the next chapter an awesome chapter. and why not? what do you have against this life?

basically, do your best to do something great. and fuck the publicly accepted idea of doing something great. do what YOU think is great. that's what matters. you are the best character in the tale. YOU.

man if i wasn't so drunk i probably could have explained that a bit better, but im basically trying to say, do what you want, but that's too simple, right? but it's true, all that matters really is if you're doing what you want to do. and just because we all die eventually doesn't mean you're getting anything after this, so fucking have fun with it.

those mushrooms had me rethink everything i ever thought about the world around me, it was incredible. and it was necessary too. it's not about any sort of solid truth, it's about thinking outside the box, and we seriously need people to do so. if mushrooms were a more animate being, i'd nominate psilocybin for president of the united states =D

We are all just a bunch of chemicals

therefore chemicals have the potential to make one happy thus the philosophy ''get hill till i die''

Nietzsche teaches us to think ethics beyond the confines of good and evil.

Nice post. Coincidentally, I just started reading Beyond Good and Evil a few days ago. In just a few pages, Nietzsche has essentially dismantled the entire foundation of philosophy. I find his tone needlessly arrogant, but he presents a convincing argument nonetheless.

... One aspect that distinguishes philosophers from mystics is that philosophers lack the honesty to admit that what is at the core of their argument (their prided kernel of truth) is nothing more than a prejudice, a notion, an inspiration. "They pose as having discovered and attained their real opinions through the self-evolution of a cold, pure, divinely unperturbed dialectic."

In response to the thread topic, I have tended to consider ethics through a soft utilitarian lens, and this has been at least partly influenced by psychedelic experiences; however, I think psychedelics have done more to make me consider my actions on a daily basis, to increase mindfulness, than they have influenced the development of a personal code of ethics.

More recently, Huxley's novel, After Many A Summer Dies the Swan, and now Nietzsche (although at odds with each other) are allowing me to consider ethics from completely novel perspectives...although the integration process has barely begun.

dopamine and seratonin cannot keep flowing forever... eventually one will become adjusted to the psychedelic state... or their hard drug of choice... or whatever distraction from reality they might find... and then the jaded cynicism and depression will set in... and the only real cure I've found for that kind of lonely existential depression is love... that or suicide (slow or abrupt)... and life leaves the option up to you.

My two cents worth.

I will borrow your two cents if you don't mind 8)

I also read solistus' post (yours are always a nice read, and you are a very welcome contributor to this forum) and it struck me that your explanation of Nietzsche's moral views is pretty much spot on to mine (with some minor differences or rather insecurities on my part). This has probably been influenced by the psychedelic perspective. I feel that I can avoid many moral pitfalls that other people struggle with. But on the other hand, I have other stuff to think about.

Last edited:
basically, do your best to do something great. and fuck the publicly accepted idea of doing something great. do what YOU think is great. that's what matters. you are the best character in the tale. YOU.

^truth. it takes very little intellect to predict the future, but a great amount of willpower to change it. think about what you have been told by others, and why you think they told these things to you. think about what you have to say to others, and why you think you have to say it to them. think about how they will interpret what you say and how they interpret what you MEAN. think about how every little action or thought you have now will have vast consequences for thousands of people around you in the future. think about how you can touch a life that will touch another dozen lives that will touch another hundred lives...

life is but a journey, and you are ALWAYS in control. never let an impossible circumstance stop you from making the positive change you want to see in the world. morals are relative and can always change. those who believe otherwise are deluding themselves.

also, do as i say and not as i do, cuz i'm a weak-willed hypocrite like the rest of us anyway :)

Dondante: I have a love/hate relationship with Nietzsche. He had a lot of brilliant ideas, but he was also very arrogant, had an obnoxious writing style and slowly descended into syphilitic madness later in life... His Nazi sister editing much of his work posthumously doesn't help, either. For the most part, I prefer more modern authors who were/are influenced by Nietzsche to Nietzsche himself - pretty much the same way I feel about Freud and Marx, the other two great German thinkers who have shaped much of my world view. All three almost seemed to stumble upon ideas too big even for their formidable intellects - it would take generations of careful study and further thought built on their groundwork to fully realise the significance of some of their ideas. Before reading both the primary sources and some of the brilliant modern thinkers carrying on in their tradition, I had a very dismissive attitude toward Marx (after all, he was just wrong historically, right? And surely his explanation of communism is the simplistic utopianism we were taught it was by Cold War ideology?) and Freud (lol everyone wants to fuck their mother and has hangups about their butt, crazy old perv right?) before actually reading them. It's amazing how many people think they know enough about both to dismiss them outright without knowing anything about Marx's reading of Hegel and the notion of dialectical materialism or commodity fetishism, or Freud without understanding that his most important work was not about the Oedipus complex at all but rather identity formation and language... But I digress.

If you want to melt your brain in a good way, two intimidatingly brilliant Slovenian philosophers I would recommend - Slavoj Zizek, who draws mostly on Freudian (via Lacan, a French psychoanalyst I ramble about nonstop here on BL ; ) and Marxist thought, and Alenka Zupancic, who draws mostly from Lacan and Nietzsche. Heady stuff, but fascinating... If you think you have a handle on making sense of the world or even your own psyche, they'll be happy to show you that you don't. Lacanian theory is like written psychedelia, I swear...

psychedelics have made me say "fuck it."
why work and all that shit. material possesions really ain't worth slaving for. i'll just sit around and collect my ssi checks work 20 hours a week, read books, draw pictures, play guitar and be lazy. get my dick wet here and there. shit, who cares.
and live in the moment, mindfulness has really reduced the amount of pain i feel.

A sense of perspective is a beautiful thing. Some people go through their whole lives so dreadfully serious about everything. What's the point in that? No matter what path you take to get there, we all end up worm food in the end - in my mind, that's all the more reason to enjoy what time we have rather than spending most of it hung up om the past or stressed out about the future. There's only one time you can really influence and it's RIGHT NOW! How can we hope to live better in the future if we don't even know how to live? :)

Psychedellic experience has led me to see a very...entirely chaotic worldview, where every experience is of itself and the attempts to solidify and "type" and categorize experience are all fleeting.

if one does not know the word to describe his experience accurately it doesn't drain the validity of his experience. it just causes some introversion.

When i'm deep enough into a trip I dislike using words... not only is it difficult to speak (words slurring together, poetic accidents, forgetfulness). But there comes a point where you use to many of the same words in loops just trying to catch the "Is-ness" of something, and really describing pure experience in one word per second intervals isn't fast enough to download the importance and entirety of those moments.

As soon as you try to grab hold of it, solidify it it starts to slow down and you lose focus.

talking is loopy as HELL if you can keep track of whats being said.

If you want to melt your brain in a good way, two intimidatingly brilliant Slovenian philosophers I would recommend - Slavoj Zizek, who draws mostly on Freudian (via Lacan, a French psychoanalyst I ramble about nonstop here on BL ; ) and Marxist thought, and Alenka Zupancic, who draws mostly from Lacan and Nietzsche. Heady stuff, but fascinating... If you think you have a handle on making sense of the world or even your own psyche, they'll be happy to show you that you don't. Lacanian theory is like written psychedelia, I swear...

Care to recommend specific works?