• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy DXM Thread - Part 2 - Robojesus, forgive us our sins

Why don't you just buy capsules and take your pure dose split up across an hour or two?

Thanks for the advice, but I've already decided against that for the time being. Dosing via gelcaps would require me to evaporate the water from my solution, since wet gelcaps don't last very long :\ Then, to approximate the slow accumulation of effects I get with sipping juice all day, I'd have to take a small heap of pills. Lastly, I think the the juice is helping with absorption.

yeah, DXM tastes vile, even 60mg dissolved in a big glass of orange juice has to be so bitter

I cannot detect any bitterness at all when it's mixed into orange-pineapple juice. A larger dose would probably be another story, but even then it's only going to be bitter. Most of the bad flavors present in store-bought cough syrups are caused by other ingredients. DXM HBr itself is only bitter, like almost any other compound out there.

So I repeated the experiment yesterday: a little over 60 mg DXM mixed into 1 cup of juice, sipped all day. Same antidepressant effects. At one point I loved everyone and everything; it was just a happy, happy time. But the effects went a little too far, and some slight edginess set in. Woke up today feeling high, as usual, but I can see it being a good day already.

For maximum therapeutic benefit, I think I will have to lower the dosage back down to 40 mg.

Most of the bad flavors present in store-bought cough syrups are caused by other ingredients. DXM HBr itself is only bitter, like almost any other compound out there.

i definitely know what pure DXM HBr tastes like, and its definitely one of the most vile tasting substances to ever touch my tongue

perhaps 40mg/60mg in a tall glass is dilute enough however personally though i would just split that dosage up into 4-6 gel capsules

glad that its working out for you though! i remember that warm glowing feeling well. it goes away with extended abuse of large doses, but if you stick to 40mg you should be able to carry on that way for a long time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I completely agree. The only thing that I could say was worse is neat GBL, and that's because it is a membrane irritant. DXM.HBr is truly vile. Yeuch.

Hi guys, I doses DXM last night out of stupidity and I'm planning a strong 2C-E trip tuesday evening or wednesday. should I expect a milder trip due to DXM's SRI action? and if so how much should I dose accordingly if I want the same intensity of a 25-30mg 2C-E trip?

thanks.

Hi guys, I doses DXM last night out of stupidity and I'm planning a strong 2C-E trip tuesday evening or wednesday. should I expect a milder trip due to DXM's SRI action? and if so how much should I dose accordingly if I want the same intensity of a 25-30mg 2C-E trip?

thanks.

It shouldn't interfere with the trip at all, dose as you normally would. At least, such is my experience with DXM & 2C-E. (And thanks for asking in the B&D thread)

I need some help, guys.

I just received 10 grams of dextromethorphan from the same vendor I bought from previously, and tried mixing it into plain water as I did with the last batch. But the stuff will not dissolve! I literally spent hours stirring the stuff yesterday -- even adding more warm water -- but no luck.

It tastes just like the other stuff I had: bitter with a slight numbing quality. The crystals (as viewed through a loupe) are slender and squared-off, like short matchsticks. Does that sound like DXM to you? Or was I sent some other chemical?

Is it possible my vendor sent me freebase? If so, how could I get it to dissolve into water? Introduce an acid? The only ones I have at hand are vinegar and cream of tartar.

Any help would be greatly appreciated~

If it is freebase, just adding vinegar should do the trick.
I would contact the vendor though and ask if they did send the freebase, or which salt as a precautionary

Thanks for the reply, MrPorter, I'll give it a shot.

Any tips on how I might word my message so that I don't like a drug user or somebody not trained as a lab tech?

Just ask them if they sent you the freebase instead of the salt (did they say it was the HBr or???). Simple as that, don't say because it won't dissolve or anything, because that's kind of leading and they'll try to say what they think you want to hear.

Just ask them if they sent you the freebase instead of the salt (did they say it was the HBr or???). Simple as that, don't say because it won't dissolve or anything, because that's kind of leading and they'll try to say what they think you want to hear.

Alright, thank you.

Here's all the info my supplier gives:

Dextromethorphan, 98-101%, Certified
CAS: 125-71-3
FORMULA: C18H25NO​

I just tried adding a little vinegar, and the DXM is now dissolving into water as hoped.

Last edited:
I have never heard of any form but HBr, and DXM.HBr is very poorly soluble in cold water. If vinegar helps, so be it but it probably just needs heating.

No, heating the water did not work. The mixture was heated to the point of being uncomfortable to the touch (over 100 degrees fahrenheit) and more water was added, all to no avail.

From a DXM fact sheet:

Solubility in water 1.5 g/100 mL at 25 C (77° Fahrenheit).​

I raised the water volume to 1500 mL for 10 grams DXM, for a solution of 10000 / 1500 = 6.67 mg per 1 mL water, or 667 mg per 100 mL water, well below the saturation point. The DXM should have dissolved.

Anyway, my supplier kindly replied to my request, giving me specifications regarding my purchase. My DXM is definitely in freebase form. (In retrospect, I should have simply asked for the specifications, not whether I was given freebase or a salt, which makes me look inept [which isn't far off ;) ]).

The stuff is definitely active... I took some with a cannabis edible yesterday and had a most amazing time =D

If it is advantageous to do so, I'll probably use lemon extract instead of vinegar for the final solution, for obvious reasons.

ugh... while the lemon juice does work for dissolving DXM freebase into water (not that I had any doubts), it makes the solution taste somewhat like orange peels or grapefruit juice. It's too late to use vinegar now... but at least it's still a helluva lot more pleasant than drinking Robitussin or Delsym :)

Last edited:
Is it just my imagination, or is recently-acidified DXM stronger than your run-of-the-mill HBr?

looks like you edited this bit out now

but i had a thought -- did you weigh how much DXM was in the bag you received? maybe the reason it didn't all dissolve and the reason it seems stronger is because your guy sent you a fat bag.

Considering the fact that I'm well into the 2nd plateau when I should be kissing the first, I think you're right. Man, I was going to edit out my entire post, but oh well :D

And no, I haven't been weighing my shit like I should. I figured I'd just make the lot standardized and dose slowly. Ridiculous that I should have expected that sort of behavior to keep working out.... next time I'm definitely purchasing an mg scale, no more messing around with unknown doses!

BTW, has anyone else tried slow-dosing yet? It's been making DXM much more enjoyable lately.

Would you be aware of any cognitive deficits from DXM use if they do arise?

I speak for myself but I have noticed Cognitive deficits after two years of weekly abuse in doses than ranged from 800-1080.
Granted that was a long time to use Dextromethorphan. Other that Cognitive however, I haven't noticed and type of organ damage yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
"if you don't use it, you lose it"

DXM tends to make me cognitively lazy. during periods of heavy use i tend to avoid tasks that require heavy thinking. i think this may have more to do with cognitive deficits than any actual direct lingering pharmacological side effects. though, i think both factors do contribute to an extent.

exists, if you have DXM freebase, it's essentially non-water-soluble no matter what you do. (heating, dilution) You'd have to dissolve it into concentrated citric acid or something of the like, to form a water soluble salt.

Or dissolve it in chloroform/dichloromethane and gas it with HCl.

Thanks sekio, but I've got it handled already. Lemon juice was slowly added to the DXM/water mixture until all the DXM could dissolve. The result is somewhat cloudy, but it's just me consuming it and I don't care about its appearance :)

So you hear a lot about people smoking cannabis while tripping on DXM, how it's awesome and all that. But have any of you guys tried combining cannabis edibles with DXM? I've done this a few times now, most recently being last night. Took an estimated 140 mg DXM (consumed slowly, all day), followed by some fairly potent cannabis/chocolate frosting on an empty stomach. Total daily gabapentin: 1800 mg. Very pleasant high, everything became very interesting and I even got some nice acidesque visuals in the dark. No trouble going to sleep, either :)