• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Dissociatives The Big & Dandy DXM Thread - Part 2 - Robojesus, forgive us our sins

Yes, and I've been shaky all day. My eyes are still pretty dilated. I wish the fogginess in my head would go away. xp No more combining alcohol and dxm for me....

Some nausea during the come up with lower plateaux doses with syrup is pretty normal IME, and it'll pass soon enough.

Wait are you saying if you take MORE you'll feel better?

Last time I took 300mg~ I ended up puking and just feeling like shit, shaky and just like hell, didnt get to any sort of third plateau by any means and the whole experience frankly sucked lol. been considering giving a 600mg+ a go but the nausea was brutal last time

Also Im not sure how no one has noticed this, but the thread title is blatantly missing the word 'for'

"Robojesus, please forgive us for our sins"

Does Zicam still make their DXM-only 500mg shots? I tried 354mg of DXM last night and loved it. The entire experience allowed me to connect with my younger cousins who unexpectedly came over to hang out. Euphoria, increased sociability, double vision, slight "spinning," difficulty reading, and extremely visionary later in the night. Meditation with crystals outside was transcending to say the least. I must have reached mid to high 2nd plateau. Unfortunately I couldn't meditate for the entire trip and dissociate like I planned, but tonight I'd really like to consume a higher dose. I felt as if I didn't need to push this compound further, but after thinking more about the effects and my previous experiences with MXE, dissociatives seems worthy of my time, and I haven't much else going on right now.

Is 500mg a reasonable increase in dose from 354mg? I might end up having to purchase syrup again unfortunately. Although I had minimal to non-existent nausea, I'm worried that an extra hundred-fifty mgs will send me spinning into the the trash can. I avoid puking at all costs. I do, however, wish to reach low to mid third plateau, listen to tunes, meditate, and explore my mind. I'm heavily experienced with psychedelics, but DXM is helluva different, even than MXE.

Also, weed extremely intensified my trip. I decided to take one hit (no tolerance) to ease myself to sleep. It increased my trip and I actually started hallucinating and having anxiety/panic issues which normally happen under the influence of cannabinoids.

Zicam doesn't make either of their DXM shots anymore.

i had what were perhaps the last Zicam Nites in existence. found two unopened boxes on eBay that were far past the expiration date. i puked hardcore, but also tripped hardcore.

I thoroughly enjoy DXM. In my opinion, it's one of those drugs you keep as a special treat (every 2-3 months or so), this keeps the potential damage down and allows the magic to stay alive. The most fascinating and euphoric parts of this drug are optimized with these conditions:

-Alone, at night, in a calm environment
-Quality headphones and electronic music (DnB for me, whatever floats your boat though :))
-Dark room
-comfy bed
-Sitting in a meditative stance, with my eyes closed. There is something about this position that increases the CEVs on a good third plat and the sensations of falling in a deep, black space/flying/spinning/ disconnection of mind and body. Awesome!

If you never done these listed above, give it a try on a good dose! =D

Does anyone know whether or not long term use of NDRIs such as Bupropion XL (300mg per day) has any significant effect on recreational dxm use? I know SSRIs and DXM is not safe, but what about this other variety of anti depressant?

Buproprion is cyp2d6 inhibitor, and has been known to make DXM really uncomfortable (ymmv). Evidence suggests you may well respond to the DXM like a poor metabolizer.

Why don't I hear more about people using a pure dxm powder? Surely it would be more comfortable than ingesting a quarter liter of syrup or upwards of 80 or more cough gels?

I've just come across a source and to be quite honest its pretty much on par with buying bottles of syrup, plus a nominal shipping fee. Is this just because people don't want to put the effort into getting it when they can just hit up the local pharmacy or what? A friend of mine in the US actually orders bulk packs of tussin cough gels to avoid skepticism at the store, so hes paying shipping fees anyway.

Maybe its just a Canada thing? Either way, in the future should I choose to use dxm it will be with a pure powder form.

using pure powder is so much better, so much of the nasty side effects are gone. it's the best way

Guys, I have an important question. I want to hear honest thoughts on it.

I have struggled with depression for a while, and none of the standard SSRIs work for me. Neither do mood stabilizers. Although I do not use DXM to "treat" my depression, I usually take a premeditated dxm trip about once a month; sometimes more often, sometimes less often. I do this because it is very spiritually uplifting to me. My DXM trips give me a lot of perspective about my life, my inner self, and makes me feel connected to "the life force." You might say DXM is to me is what church and spiritual exercises are to the religious.

With that said, however, I am still depressed on the average day and resort to self injury and other bad habits. As a result, my psychiatrist would like me to consider another couple of antidepressants. One he has mentioned is Abilify. Another is Celexor. Anyway, as much as I think antidepressants are a load of crap based on past experiences, I am leaning toward taking his advice.

If I were to start taking Abilify, which is a dopamine antagonist, or Celexor, which I think is another SSRI, would I still be able to engage in my spiritual DXM trips? The though of giving them up is like being asked to give up my religion. But at the same time, I have heard that doing DXM while on an antidepressant can cause Serotonin Syndrome or other complication. I want to hear your thoughts on it. Will I really have to give up my DXM?

Yes, you would have to abstain as DXM and SSRIs can definitely cause serotonin syndrome. If you are resorting to harming yourself then I would suggest giving the Celexor a try, I have several family members on it and it seems to work well for them(they also didn't respond to other SSRIs). I personally would be weary of Abilify as it gave my sister some pretty bad side effects. Why not at least try the Celexor? DXM will still be here if it does not work out.

Last edited:
Hey. First off, I can definitely relate to what you're going through. I've also had pretty minimal results with the handful of medications I've tried, and have found DXM to be a very powerful anti-depressant. I haven't taken DXM in some time, because I started taking it fairly regularly in low doses as an anti-depressant, and inevitably developed a huge tolerance. But before then, I definitely found DXM to be a very useful tool for exploring the depths of my psyche, as well as a profound connectedness with the world. (not to mention some fantastic creative endeavours.)

In terms of the two medications your doctor suggested: Abilify.. if it's giving you more dopamine then it should have no interaction with DXM. I believe DXM is an SRI and will increase serotonin directly but not dopamine. (I also take Wellbutrin, an NDRI, (norepinephrine-dopamine reuptake inhibitor) and haven't found that it interacts with DXM expect for perhaps at high doses (my medication may indirectly increase serotonin) - but nothing like serotonin syndrome. The worst I've got was an increased heart rate but nothing dangerous.

If you were to go with the Celexor though, it being an SSRI, you may not be able to take DXM anymore, or at least make sure you exercise caution. I was on an SSRI a while back and was taking 5-HTP before bed to help with insomnia. As 5-HTP is a precursor to serotonin and makes more serotonin available in the brain... I definitely experienced an interaction between the two and was unable to sleep a few nights due to a racing heart. I assume DXM would interact similarly if not more intensely.

So if it's between the two I would choose Abilify. I agree with you that mainstream antidepressants such as SSRIs are often useless. They've done some recent meta-studies on the effectiveness of SSRIs as antidepressants, and something like only 1/3 people find relief from them. The Wellbutrin I'm taking has definitely helped me somewhat though, while SSRIs did nothing for me. You could also ask your doc about that.

One last thing and I will quit rambling. Because I have found DXM and ketamine (both NMDA-antagonists) so effective for me (and apparently others) as anti-depressants, I've done a lot of research in this area. A lot of studies are currently being done on ketamine as a very effective anti-depressant to those with "treatment-resistant depression", as well as a couple of other drugs that fall into the same category. Anyway just thought I'd share that.. posted a couple of links below. If you just google "ketamine/ dxm/ nmda antagonist + depression" a lot of links come up. I hope that within the next couple of years some of these drugs can be put on the market. Seems like it could be a massive turnaround in the field. Anyway, best of luck to you.

http://healthland.time.com/2012/10/...-most-important-advance-in-field-in-50-years/
http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/805416
http://www.nimh.nih.gov/news/scienc...y-lifts-depression-without-side-effects.shtml

Last edited:
abilify inhibits the liver enzymes CYP2D6 and CYP3A4. this means that while on abilify you might respond to DXM as if you are one of those 3% poor-DXM-metabolizers. if you do try the combo, lower your dosage accordingly.

off topic slightly, but got a simple DXM-nausea question:

Does anyone know of any herbal/natural remedies that are effective at countering nausea while on DXM? I've always used gravol (dimenhydrinate) and found it to be very effective. Tried 500-1000mg of ginger capsules recently but it wasn't nearly as strong as gravol and I ended up hurling. Would be cool though if there was something more natural out there that packed the same anti-nausea punch as gravol.