• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Dangerous Combinations Thread

Is there any evidence of Lithium interacting negatively or positively with Salvia divinorum?

Anybody know why tryptamine are dangerous with depakote ? Wich type of adverse effect can one expect from this combo ?

RhythmSpring said:
Is there any evidence of Lithium interacting negatively or positively with Salvia divinorum?

I could find nothing to support that there would be any contraindication, or impact in enjoyability. Anecdotal evidence was from accounts like this one. Not exactly airtight, but in the absence of other data, this sorta thing presents authoritative guidelines, I suppose.

no_id said:
Anybody know why tryptamine are dangerous with depakote ? Wich type of adverse effect can one expect from this combo ?

This popped up, though I'm not sure how much we know about psychs + anticonvulsants that aren't lithium, maybe we have proof that they're dangerous that I'm forgetting about (someone please post it!), but I feel like there has been an unjustified extrapolation of risk.

I would tentatively treat them as contraindicated until someone more knowledgeable can weigh in, if I were you.

^ Booze and benzo's work on the same receptor and both have a sedating effect on the CNS. It is possible to drink while on Valproic acid but the effects of 1 glass will be doubled in combination. You can still medicate with benzo's (small doses) but recreational use should be avoided.
Opiates are also sedating but might be less harmfull in combination with Valproic acid since they both work on different receptors.

I'm on Valproic Acid, 1000 mg/day, I'm prescribed Alprazolam (0.25mg) which I take when needed. I was told I am bi-polar (hypomanic) but the Valproate did his job.

I too don't understand why psychedelics would be a no no. Especially when you're not epileptic.

I've been using psychedelics for 15 years, untill I was precribed Valproate 1.5 year ago. I'm very eager to trip again and would proceed with a low dose of 4-aco-dmt or Lsd , I haven't decided yet.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Perhaps, but the way I see it there is only one way in which antipsychotics interact with psychedelics and empathogens, and that is that they simply prevent them from working. I don't believe any of the compounds we are discussing here are acutely dangerous with antipsychotics, just that there is little point using any of them if you are on an antipsychotic.

You may get something out of dissociatives, but the experience will still be slightly altered because of their effects on dopamine.

The sticky list which the mods drew up is more comprehensive in this regard than the one at the start of this thread. Perhaps it could be done even more comprehensively, but it would need to be listed in a way which looks readable. Much better would be some kind of interactive thing whereby you plug in the name of the compound you are asking about and it pops up telling you a list of interactions. But I don't know how one would go about executing such a thing on a vbulletin forum.

Ever heard of Clozapine? That is some dangerous shit. Have witnessed a patient who had consumed meth go into mild AF. Have seen another patient collapse from an MI on clozapine. I'm sure some people will take drugs like LSD while on antipsychotics and if they are on Clozapine.... well it may be worth looking into rather than dismissing out of hand.

Levothyroxine and Ketamine reported unsafe

Researching side effects of Levothyroxine aka Synthroid (commonly prescribed for hypothyroidism) and found this:

"EMS providers should be aware that there have been anecdotal reports of ketamine inducing serious hypertension and tachycardia in patients taking levothyroxine.
The manufacturer advises using ketamine with caution. These reports are not substantiated in peer reviewed drug literature."

heads up

^ Booze and benzo's work on the same receptor and both have a sedating effect on the CNS. It is possible to drink while on Valproic acid but the effects of 1 glass will be doubled in combination. You can still medicate with benzo's (small doses) but recreational use should be avoided.
Opiates are also sedating but might be less harmfull in combination with Valproic acid since they both work on different receptors.

I'm on Valproic Acid, 1000 mg/day, I'm prescribed Alprazolam (0.25mg) which I take when needed. I was told I am bi-polar (hypomanic) but the Valproate did his job.

I too don't understand why psychedelics would be a no no. Especially when you're not epileptic.

I've been using psychedelics for 15 years, untill I was precribed Valproate 1.5 year ago. I'm very eager to trip again and would proceed with a low dose of 4-aco-dmt or Lsd , I haven't decided yet.

Any thoughts?

I found some more info about Valproic Acid (Depakote):

Valproic acid appears to inhibit the activity of Uridine Diphosphate Glucuronosyltransferases (UGTs) and CYP2C9. While Sodium Valproate inhibits metabolism via CYP3A4. These various pathways are important for the metabolism of many of the classic psychoactive compounds. Indeed, inhibiting UGTs has been associated with opiate toxicity (due to poor clearance). I'm sure many are familiar with the CYP3A4 enzyme, and even tried to use it to your advantage - think the estimate is something like 50% of drugs are excreted via this pathway.

Other common UGT inhibitors

Amitryptiline, Chlorpromazine, Diazepam, Lorazepam, Nitrazepam

Other common CYP3A4 inhibitors

Chloramphenicol, ketoconazole, Fluvoxamine, Grapefruit, Nefazodone

Other common CYP2C9 inhibitors

Fluconazole, Gingko Biloba, St John's Wort, Antihistamines

There are more pathways that could be mentioned (e.g., p-glyco), but this is just one commonly prescribed compound, and a few known metabolic pathways which underpin contraindications between this and other compounds (and there's more). Note how one compound can impact on a number of metabolic/pharmacokinetic mechanisms simultaneously.

Of tangential but relevant interest...genetic variations in the expressions of the enzymes and proteins are likely to have a major influence on individual variation to drug response.

---> So this could mean that there could be a potentiation taken place, depending on the drug you use in conjunction with VPA. Correct?

Does anybody know if smoking DMT while on SSRIs is harmful?
I don't think there are any contradictions between DMT and SSRIs. I would think that the SSRI would reduce the effects of the DMT quite a bit though.
Personally I would discontinue SSRI use in order to get effects from the DMT.

I would advise against discontinuing prescribed drugs to take recreational ones, especially ones contraindicated with the kind of conditions that SSRIs are prescribed for.

What's the problem mixing opioids with LSD? Took tilidine with LSD once and havn't had any negative side effects.

There isn't one per se, no adverse reactions, it's just that opiates tend to dull the "crisp" effects of psychedelics, and for most, also the visuals. They're better than benzos to mix, and for many years I almost always mixed them since I was an opiate addict. But my trips are much better and deeper now, in general, without opiates.

Yes but kratom seems to leave more psychedelic effects intact, perhaps because it carries the indole ring, or so I like to speculate. Still, it can help to bring you back down to earth, I used to use it every time for that. Or to ease a difficult come-up (though since I stopped I've virtually eliminated difficult come-ups since I didn't mask them).

I agree with Xork, the only opi I enjoyed more in combo was 0-demesthyl.

Is there any interaction between MDMA and triptans (like sumatriptan)

Cant find too much except it's better to avoid stimulants and psychedelics when using triptans.

I would expect there to be some interaction but whether it would be dangerous I couldn't say.

Hey guys, this this is not only genius, but essential. Im microdosing Iboga right now and id like to know what the facts on these combos are:

Iboga & LSD
Iboga & 2C-B, 2C-E, 2C-I
Iboga & DOC
Iboga & MXE

any info would be greatly appreciated

I wouldn't combine iboga with anything personally. I only took a flood dose, not micro-doses, but I smoked 7mg of DMT (yes just 7mg) on the 5th day afterwards (well after the direct trip, into the post-ibogaine metabolite stage) and it was a terrifying, weird, hour-long experience where I experienced the greatest level of panic and terror I have possibly ever known. Ibogaine has such a complex and broad range of effects on the brain that I think combinations are dangerous and unpredictable.

Also ibogaine has NMDA antagonism and kappa-opioid agonism so it itself is quite a powerful dissociative, though maybe not at micro-dose levels. But I'd be afraid to combine any dissociative with it. Or something stimulating. Though using the full range of alkaloids (as opposed to pure HCl) seemed to, for me, completely nullify the heart rate increase effect commonly reported, I think safety is the highest priority with ibogaine so I wouldn't combine phenethylamines.