• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Dangerous Combinations Thread

can anyone help me out with some questions?

is AH-7921 anywhere dangerously interacting with ketamine or MXE?
is Etaqualone safe to take with ketamine, MXE or AH-7921?
is Etaqualone safe with any kind of amphetamine or cathinone stimulants?

i just stumbled upon this combinations out of boredom, but hesitated to try before informing of potential dangers.

You can treat the combinations as generic substance classes:

1. No specific interactions, normal dissociative + opioid warnings.
2. Do not mix depressants (AH-7921 + ETQ). GABAergic depressants and dissociatives usually give undesirable effects cf. alcohol and ketamine.
3. No specific interactions, normal stimulant + depressant warnings.

@entheo

Valproate is funny stuff. I am not confident but a glance at the wiki page does not suggest specific problems.

The reduced heart rate from B-blockers combined with any drug with a vasoconstrictive effect can lead to rocketing blood pressure, increased myocardial infarction risk and poor oxygen supply to the brain.
Whether your choice of psychedelic is vasoconstrctive enough and your propanolol dose is high enough to make this a concern - nobody can say. You may well be fine.

A s a rule of thumb, a drug is clear from the body after six half lives.

is Etaqualone safe to take with AH-7921?

Heck no! Potent GABAergics + opiates is a recipe for respiratory arrest.

is AH-7921 anywhere dangerously interacting with ketamine or MXE?

Dose sensibly and it should be fine, but do be cautious. MXE has been noted to play well with opiates, I'd be reluctant to try it with K though, since it's not so stimulative.

is Etaqualone safe with any kind of amphetamine or cathinone stimulants?

Haven't the quinazolinones (methaqualone, MMQ) demonstrated pro-convulsant effects? I wouldn't touch this combo with a ten foot pole.

Aren't the warnings with regard to AMT a little over the top? I always thought that AMT was a weak MAOI, no stronger than amphetamine. Saying that you should avoid tyramine containing drinks and food seems unnecessary.

It does not appear to be as strong as was first thought, but it is still wise to exercise caution. There have been some great discussions fairly recently but I can't find any of them. There is an archived discussion here about the MAOI properties of aMT

It does not appear to be as strong as was first thought, but it is still wise to exercise caution. There have been some great discussions fairly recently but I can't find any of them. There is an archived discussion here about the MAOI properties of aMT

Whoa, blast from the past when Murple was still frequenting these forums...! Which probably means nothing to you youngsters ;)

I remember FnB saying that its MAO inhibition was equivalent to d-amp, not sure where his reference was from. But I and I'm sure many, many others have drunk beer and wine while under the influence of AMT without noticing any crippling hypertension...

Anyone know the risks of mixing Kepra (anticonvulsant) with Mushrooms, Cannabinoids or the NBOMe drugs? According to the thread LSD/LSA and tryptamines are a no go.

I'm starting kepra pretty soon and want to keep on my voyage, my neurologist wouldn't utter one word of advice on the subject, which pissed me off.

Anyone know the risks of mixing Kepra (anticonvulsant) with Mushrooms, Cannabinoids or the NBOMe drugs? According to the thread LSD/LSA and tryptamines are a no go.

I'm starting kepra pretty soon and want to keep on my voyage, my neurologist wouldn't utter one word of advice on the subject, which pissed me off.

Well.. frankly I'm not sure. If it's a presynaptic Ca channel inhibitor, that should make its overall effect inhibitory. So it might reduce the effects. But it would depend what cells it was preferentially inhibiting... anyone else want to chime in?

I agree combining GHB with alcohol or ketamine is not necessarily dangerous, but it is very tricky as all three will mess up your ability to assess the risk involved. Combine this with the (usually) unknown potency of GHB solutions and you have a recipe for trouble.
That being said, I have tried the GHB-alcohol combo myself a few times with no ill effects, but even when using low doses of alcohol and low to moderate doses of GHB the synergistic effect is very noticeable and not very nice. I'd much rather take more of either drug than combine the two.

Yeah, while in theory possible, the combination of G with other depressants is really not practical except in the most controlled settings. At a party I would advise against it strongly. I've seen many people, even veterans, robbed of a good evening because they drank with G and would up asleep.

Is there a good pharmacological explanation for why mixing ketamine with true CNS depressants (such as alcohol and GHB) is dangerous? As far as I know (but I could be wrong), ketamine is not a real CNS depressant in that it suppresses breathing only marginally and doesn't lower heart rate and blood pressure.

Does the danger consist primarily of nausea (and the possibility of choking on one's own vomit) or are there other interactions I'm not taking into account?

I think the most important consideration is the empirical 1+1=3 effect that is also seen with alcohol. The action on subtly different receptors means they don't really compete with each other but synergise instead, making walking and being awake very challeging. The physical risks are the problems here, with injuries resulting from falls and aspiration of vomit being the big ones.

Agreed. Thanks for the clarification! I know of someone who died after having consumed a bottle of wine and a bit of ketamine before going to bed... while his cause of death has not been directly attributed to this combination, that's what the toxicology report said. So while I would dissuade anyone from combining downers and ketamine, the warning I'd give isn't the same as I would give for combining 'real' downers such as alcohol with ghb, opiates with alcohol, ghb and benzodiazepines et cetera. Cheers!

By the way, one more question regarding the depressant effects of ketamine: afaik ketamine only works as a cns depressant in higher dosages (and even then - not in the same rate as other downers) and not in lower, more recreational doses. Does the synergistic effect of combining ketamine with e.g. alcohol mean that ketamine's cns depressing effects can also be amplified and thus leading to (dangerously) low heart rate and severely depressed breathing?

[edit] The list in the OP specifically states that certain opioids cannot be taken in conjunction with ibogaine, whereas heroin isn't mentioned. Afaik ibogaine enormously potentiates opiates, which can (and has!) easily lead to overdosing. Especially because ibogaine is regularly used for the treatment of opiate addiction (and since worldwide most opiate dependent people use heroin more than any other opiate), I would suggest heroin be explicitly added to that list.

Last edited:
Agreed. Thanks for the clarification! I know of someone who died after having consumed a bottle of wine and a bit of ketamine before going to bed... while his cause of death has not been directly attributed to this combination, that's what the toxicology report said. So while I would dissuade anyone from combining downers and ketamine, the warning I'd give isn't the same as I would give for combining 'real' downers such as alcohol with ghb, opiates with alcohol, ghb and benzodiazepines et cetera. Cheers!

By the way, one more question regarding the depressant effects of ketamine: afaik ketamine only works as a cns depressant in higher dosages (and even then - not in the same rate as other downers) and not in lower, more recreational doses. Does the synergistic effect of combining ketamine with e.g. alcohol mean that ketamine's cns depressing effects can also be amplified and thus leading to (dangerously) low heart rate and severely depressed breathing?

Well, you might think that - but on the other hand, ketamine is widely used with propofol, under the name ketofol - for exactly the opposite effect, making the combination less of a respiratory depressant.

"Combining Ketamine and Propofol (“Ketofol”) for Emergency Department Procedural Sedation and Analgesia: A Review" - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2672224/

I'm having trouble finding out if modafinil (provigil) + tramadol is a dangerous combo?

Taken with propranolol and diazepam also.

Last edited:
Would syrian rue or b caapi cause any problems while taking levo-tetrahydropalmatine nightly? Wiki says that MAOIs interact with dopamine releasers, it also says the L_THP works by blocking dopamine from the brain.

Just wondering about 2ct7 and ketamine combination; your thoughts?

As 2ct7 is noted as having maoi properties and it is stated at the beginning of this thread that ketamine shouldnt be mixed with maois.

However I have read reports here and on erowid of the combination (though everyone obviously reacts differently) where the user came to no ill effects...

Your thoughts please

Hi guys,

I'm new here, registered my account a while ago but never used it. I returned here because I was wondering:
Is there a possible interaction between ergotamines (ergotamine & dihydroergotamine) prescribed for migraine, and MDMA and psychedelics?

Since ergotamine has various serotonergic targets and MDMA causes the release of extra serotonin; Do you think combinational use of these agents may increase the risk of ergotism or other side-effects? Have you ever heard of people complaining of numbness, tingling extremeties or severe muscle pains after using this combination? Also this class of migraine medication may interact with LSD since they are structurally similar.

Although migraine treatment with ergotamines is largely replaced by triptans nowadays, they are still prescribed and may be worth taking up in your list. I would be interested in your thoughts