• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Bufo Alvarius Thread

Hmmmm to toad licking, I would rather imagine you could trip by licking pussy, now that would be a winner.

Got 5 B.Al's in 75gal tank with cypress mulch. Just got them a few days ago. They are really cool looking toads.

I got 5 so I can try to breed them. The person I got them from had 2 more for sale I thought about getting but I figured 5 is enough.

I got them because they have a divinity about them being such ancient toads. I feel them same about my cat but for different reasons.

" Older than the dinosaurs, she is a Divinity, the great primeval Earth Mother, the source and the end of all life."

I love my toads ;)

i would love x 1000 to try the toad. i feel powerfully allured to the toad, moreso then to the synthetic

sorry for being anal but the toad is not venomous... its poisonous... and a single toad, unless you ate the whole thing, could not kill you.. and although the toad has bufotenin and other tryptamines in its venom, these are not the only substances in its venom... you can and will feel incredibly sick ingesting its poison, even if you dry and smoke it.. unless you are interested in bufotenin and not other dmt analogues, I would suggest buying a plant. and if you decide to milk it and save up the venom and smoke a bunch at once, you could do serious damage to yourself.. I work at a reptile zoo and we work with two species of bufo toads (alvaris and marinus), and it is very hard to milk them without hurting them, so please don't. (fun fact bufo toads are no longer in the bufo genus, so calling them anything bufos instead of Colorado river toads or cane toad is incorrect) and we have one that is bigger than both my hands, and we are selling it for $350 (including my staff discount!!!!)

edit: a large toad ingested can kill depending on the species (not that I think you guys are gonna eat one, just that it does have enough venom in its two glands at any given time to kill you)

I will look into the other poisonous substances in the venom and let you know what they are (and hopefully dissuade you from hurting yourselves and poor innocent toads)

iv never tried using an animal to scare the ones we've had, but we've had two species, wild caught and captive bred, and they did not secrete poison (except once when it just leaked out it was not even scared, strange..)

and one last thing: they are an invasive species so if you get bored of them DO NOT RELEASE THEM INTO THE WILD!!!

I have seen them for sale on websites before...

But i am also pretty sure they are endangered or whatever its called when they are almost endangered.... protected? watched? i forget... but anyways... I dont think you could easily purchase one, might have to go to the desert at night lol

not endangered, invasive.. they are making other species endangered
they are protected however as they do live naturally in a small area... but if introduced to other more livable areas they can overtake native wildlife

it doesnt hurt the animal at all actually

did you ask it? have you milked one? I tried two species, and I would have had to squeeze quite hard to release its poison

Does the venom from the glands also contain 5-ho-dmt?

that's where the poison comes from, the two glands to either side of its head

anybody tried pluging these frogs? I bet that is will have 2x stronger effect

I really hope that's a joke, unless you want to kill people... plugging fresh poison could kill you

i have personally witnessed a B. Alvarius toad being milked and it had a totally serene look upon its face. i swear it did not even blink, it seemed totally at peace and resigned to being milked, perhaps it is not symbiosis but it is commensalism. sure you can all pat yourselves on the back for being toad rights activists but what evidence do you have that this hurts toads, seriously?

reptile and amphibians show pain and discomfort rarely and in different ways... we have amputated infected toes from lizards without them flinching, and the nerves were still attached and receiving

I know someone that lives in Colorado. He said he's willing to search for some toads for me. I've heard that almost all toads in colorado are "active".
any tips on how to find'm so i can relay the message?

active in the sense that you will ingest poison and hurt non-psychoactive animals for no reason

Last edited by a moderator:
Damn there that expensive? Here in AZ there not very hard to find in the desert. Friend posted a pic and didn't know what it was the other day haha.

I guess it's a good thing phuckingnutz lost his toad. I had a feeling the venom couldn't be harmless when smoked. There must be quite a witch's brew of compounds in it. I think a person would be much better off just to buy some pure 5-meo-DMT from the darknet, though it's apparently not even pleasant. Probably better just to get normal DMT. At least phuckingnutz's toad got his freedom, so something good came out of it, unless he gets eaten by some predator and then the predator dies. That would be a double tragedy.

People have different reactions to 5-MeO-DMT, many people I know say it is their favorite or one of their favorite psychedelics and rate it much higher than regular DMT. I haven't tried it myself. It's a different experience entirely by all accounts.

Hello, new here. I was able to get my hands on some Bufo alvarius toad venom.

I have a couple of questions concerning two methods of administration that I couldn't seem to find info about online. I apologize in advance if it already has been discussed before.

1. Would mixing the venom with water and administering it rectally with a syringe work? I know it can be done with the HCl version of 5-MeO-DMT, but I'm concerned about the safety and effectiveness of the venom using this method.

2. Would vaporizing and filtering it through water (such as a rig) work? I don't mind if any other psychoactive ingredients get caught, just as long as the 5-MeO-DMT does not.

The reason I'm asking is because the idea of putting toad venom in my body kind of concerns me due to not really knowing if there are any virulent factors that the venom may impose (being that it's excreted from poison sacs and collected off of a live animal) as opposed to compounds that are synthesized in a clean and controlled environment (at least I hope they are).

Before anyone says people have safely vaped the venom through the traditional pipe forever so just man up and do it (which I probably will), I just would like to know for knowledge's sake and for anyone else who might be curious also. Thank you!

Let me at least break down the chemistry of the toads a little for you guys.

B.alvarius, the sonoran desert toad or colorado river toad, both produce and can secrete venom, it comes primarily from the two large parotid glands located approximately where its shoulders would be if it were a human lying face down.

In the case of Bufo marinus, the australian (or at least it is now, unfortunately. It was introduced in a failed attempt to control some pest species of beetle that were devastating crops, but they fucked up BIGTIME, both in that they neglected to factor in that these beetles lived at the top of the stems of the crops, whilst the toads are ground-living creatures, and also that they are extremely invasive, because they both breed prolifically and also they don't have indigenous predators to keep the numbers down. In OZ they organize toad round-ups and killings to keep down the numbers, and the REASON that nothing eats them (at least, if they do, they only do it once) is that they are chock-full of poisons. Wouldbe predators such as venomous snakes might well kill an individual toad, but once they try to eat it, it'll get its own back and kill the predator.

Not sure if there is ANY 5-MeO-DMT but of the tryptamine fraction of the venom, the vast part is bufotenine, 5-hydroxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine, or 5-OH-DMT.

B.alvarius, the desert toad, contains both, mostly being 5-MeO-DMT with less being bufotenine.

In addition, the only means the venom can be safe to take is via the vaporized route, with the resulting fumes being inhaled.
The reason for this is that both B.alvarius and B.marinus contain a series of steroidal cardiotoxins which have an action not dissimilar to that of digitalis, oleandrin, and similar cardiotonic, cardiotoxic steroids. ORALLY or via injection, insufflation, or plugging etc. these would be highly poisonous. They either do not make it through, or are decomposed, it must be, via the vaporization process, or maybe the boiling point is too high for the venom vapor to carry the steroidal poisons through to the user.

These steroidal bufagins, bufagenins, bufotoxins etc. are heart poisons, that in small quantities, as with digitalis (foxglove, used in purified form, carefully at known doses these days as an important heart medication for certain types of cardiac ill health), slows, and strengthens the force of the heartbeat, in larger, toxic doses they cause arrhythmias and then stop the heart. Needless to say, this is not healthy and not to be recommended for anybody who isn't a filthy fucking police pigfficer=D

The effects of bufotenine itself are psychoactive, but it is a rough ride on the body, physically speaking. I've had purified, extracted bufotenine, sourced from species of Anadenanthera, vaporized and insufflated (this is a plant, which produces large pods with seeds inside which have a thick brown testa or seed-coat around them), and a common preparation from the crude beans is called 'yopo' or 'cohoba', some varieties depending on the indigenous culture and the species used contain DMT also, possibly only in the pod-cases themselves rather than the seeds, these are psychedelic snuffs used in countries located around the amazon basin region.

And I found it quite definitely hallucinogenic, when the bufotenine had been chemically extracted, isolated and purified, then vaporized, it did feel quite heavy on the body, with somatic symptoms present, a rapid heart rate, etc. occurring. It certainly wasn't 'a lethal poison', but it was rough. I remember seeing in front of my eyes a sort of visual phosphene network-like pattern, colored, like a threedimensional grid, with swellings present at the interface of any corner where the 'bars' met.

And otherwise, a darkening of the visual background with eyes closed. It did feel pretty body-heavy.

In any case, do NOT subscribe to the myth of toad-licking. The psychoactive portions, the tryptamines in the venom are not in any case orally active, at least, they do not affect the brain, being quickly attacked and destroyed by monoamine oxidase A.
The steroidal cardiotoxins on the other hand are perfectly capable of causing toxic effects if the venom were to be ingested, be it swallowed, stuck up your chocolate starfish, injected (injection would also, given the large content of foreign, animal proteins present in an animal secretion, would be asking for the development of an allergy and potential anaphylaxis when they are recognized as foreign invaders by our human immune systems), or powdered and snorted, that would make it easy to absorb the cardiotoxic steroids.

Since people report smoking the venom without succumbing to a digitalis or oleander-like poisoning, then it does definitely seem as though the vaped route cuts out enough of the steroidal nasty business.

That was a beautiful response Limpet, thank you for that! Alright, now I know the safe way is vaping. I am still curious about vaping it through a "scientific glass" with water. Am I wasting anything or losing potency doing it this way? What does the water do to the vapors?

I don't see why it wouldn't work.. Why using water though? In a hammiltons pharmacopeia episode, they used the eclipse vape and it looked like it worked. I am considering buying one to vape dmt. It's a bit expensive, though...

So I just came back from a 50mg trip with an oil burner/Bic. I held each toke in as long as I could and reality started melting before my eyes and I began to melt and morph into my surroundings. It was pretty dandy, however, I don't think I had a breakthrough experience, which is fine. Now that I've had a taste of what it's like, I would like to try to break through on my next go.

At the end of the session, what's left of the venom was a black crisp. I'm reading around and it seems that it's quite easy to burn freebase DMT even with an oil burner, and that you shouldn't be making it turn black/burning it. Is this the case with bufo venom? Did I do it correctly?

Many suggest using a glass VaporGenie to get the most out of the freebase DMT experience, but will a GVG work with the venom?

What do you guys suggest is the best way to increase my chances of a BT experience? Equipment to use, type of lighter, set/setting, method, etc.

Thinking of going 100mg next.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Once in Florida (it was late at night in south Miami) I saw an interesting scene of a white mouse (yes, it looked like a domestic pet mice) grabbing onto a huge sized wet-looking toad from behind and rhythmically licking it quickly right where the toad's shoulders are. I was mesmerized by the scene and watched them for awhile until the mice noticed me and tried to run away but could not coordinate it's movements and moved really weirdly, stumbling, the mice was clearly inebriated.

That was quite a scene and I remembered it for life. I am pretty sure the mice somehow knew how to and was getting high of Bufotenine and / or other psychoactives in the toad's venom. Makes me wonder that the desire to be high is built-in in all life creatures?..8)

Have not tried Yopo yet but it is on my list! :)

Also, darkening of the visual field seems to be a signature for all? 5 substituted tryptamines, is that right?

gcon22, please update with your further findings!

Tried it again, 100mg, same type of administration. This time with a friend to encourage me to take more hits when I've lost motor controls. I've definitely broken through to the other side. I decide not to do the glass Vaporgenie because from the limited information I can find, I felt that the Bufo Alvarius venom had a higher melting point than the synthetic freebase, so I didn't want to spend big money on something that may not work.

So the friend method definitely helps, because when you're alone it is extremely easy for you to feel like you've had enough then stop toking until you come down and realize you needed more, and at this point you've lost most of its effects and when you take another hit, you end up in the same place. With a friend to help you, you take hits, then you lose motor function, but your friend is there to help encourage you to take another hit to stack on top of your initial hits, this way the effects become substantially stronger. It will almost feel annoying that the friend is trying to push to to do something your mind is telling you you've had enough of, but try to remember why he/she is there in the first place, and when successfully executed, you will know once you've had a breakthrough. Tears of profundity, nuff said.

Looking at what I had left, I probably used about 50% of the 100mg. So in my experience, you can break through with 50mg, but then again everyone is different. Next time I would weigh out 75mg just to have some headroom just in case. But then again, I've felt that I no longer need to do a next time because all of my questions have been answered, I've transcended, and I no longer need to experience it again. There is no longer any need for worry. I feel that my mind had shifted to another level of awareness where I know everything will be alright as opposed to needing to be high in order to know everything will be alright. Very very hard to put the experience to words, it's just something that has to be experienced fully grasp the profundity.

I would say meditation (learning to control thoughts, because thoughts create your reality), and past experiences in psychedelics (shrooms and LSD) have mentally prepared me for this and allowed me to accept any outcome, may it be labeled "good" or "bad". I felt a purge of the buildup of dopamine that controls our lives where afterwards I felt complete peace of mind. Whereas in the past, normally a dopamine depletion would feel depressive. Not sure if all this is "scientifically accurate" but I'm just using terms that I think can best describe my experience, and like I said, very hard to put into words. It was like suffering is caused by desire/holding on to impermanent things and letting go of that freed me. I'm just going to call this "dopamine purge" hopefully I've coined a new term term :).

Cheers, and good luck.

Thats really odd, with the mice. Definitely there, in the material, rather than psychic sense?

If so that would tend to suggest that mice lack MAO-a thats capable of metabolizing simple tryptamines.

The weird thing though, is that an animal could survive it, even if active orally, the toads pack a potent mixture of cardiotoxic, bufadienolide glycosidic poisons, that are similar in action to digitalis (foxglove) and Strophanthus (a genus containing a mixture of african arrow poisons, ouabain etc., as well as the lethal cardiotoxins from oleanders and from Upas (the cardiac glycoside antiarin), these are orally toxic as a rule, and the bufadienolides (plants mostly produce cardenolides when considering species producing cardiac glycosidal toxins, an intriguing exception being Scilla, the maritime squill, which although a plant, produces a bufadienolide type toxin profile rather than cardenolides), and these are orally active poisons, although at least in the case of antiarin, they seem thermolabile, given the natives that use Upas as a dart poison carefully taste it during dehydration of the tree sap, for sweetness, which indicates that the glycosidic bond has broken down to release the aglycone and sugar contents as separate compounds. I'd have thought a mouse trying 'toad licking' would either die, or at the very best, not experience psychotropic effects. Difficult to say, without knowing what a mouse's MAO enzymatic profile looks like, and I've never needed to know a suitable MAO-a inhibitor for a mouse, never having been one and not working with animals in my own lab (I absolutely refuse to, its just something that I couldn't bring myself to do)