• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

The Big & Dandy Bad Trip Thread

Imagine getting stuck in a thought loop that is filled with fear. You may always be happy to let the mushroom "poison" you, but try to picture a scenario where you try in vain to fight the effects of the mushrooms. The visuals are unbelievable. Your entire world is unrecognizable, it's difficult to do something as simple as sit on the side of your bed because one second the bed is on the floor and the next it is too far above your head for you to climb up to it. You can only see yourself in a negative manner. Everything that you have ever been embarrassed about, everything you have ever feared being is what defines you.

In this state, time ceases to exist. There is no concept of things like "before" or "after". You are totally unaware that anything exists outside of yourself and your experience. The trip doesn't have a beginning or an end, at least not while it's going. Being able to grasp the idea that you are on a drug, and will eventually comes down is impossible.

And then there is the fear... Irrational, unexplainable fear. The source of the fear doesn't matter. There may not even be a source, but the intensity of it is unlike anything else.

During the experience, it is impossible to communicate. Words cease to have meaning. Trying to understand things like time, reality, people and even who you are is almost impossible. For what seems to be an eternity, you are absolutely alone with the darkest thoughts in your head.

Everything bad you have ever thought about yourself comes back, and comes back with force.

It's very difficult to describe the experience of a bad mushroom trip, but it is one of the most frightening experiences I have ever had. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone, but at the same time, it was an incredible learning experience. The mushrooms forced me to confront issues I had been repressing for a long time, and in that moment of difficulty I discovered things about myself that have now helped me change into a better person.

Going forward from this experience, I can definitely say that I am now mentally stronger and much more aware of and in control of my thoughts and emotions. I became more attuned to how my mind works. Like any difficult experience, you come out of it as a stronger and wiser person.

This. This is the most real thing ive ever heard. Nothing is quite like a bad shroom trip.

I think the species/strain of mushrooms plays a part. I've tripped 50 or so time on P. semilanceata. likewise I've never had a bad trip and couldn't for ages see how one would be possible on them. Upon trying P. tampensis and P. mexicana I understood though, there was a lot less clarity and a lot more darkness to both trips. For me P. sems are so much more positively directed, they feel a lot close to an LSD trip than the other species I've tried.

Very interesting thread. My wife and I have never done shrooms but may have a source one day if we are lucky.

I'm wondering, should I let my wife read this thread so she knows what a bad trip is and to be prepared or do you think it might put thoughts in her head and make her more likely to have one? Neither of us have any experience with psychedelics (and if we ever do get shrooms we will start slow for sure).

A bad mushroom trip is where everywhere you look, it's an impossible reality and the fear that it will encomber you completly. The fear of pending death, which results in complete ego loss.

Everyone experiences the same as you, but your day will come...

avcpl, i would suggest you don't let her read this thread. stick to reading positive reports.

low doses of mushrooms in the right environment are almost 100% positive and euphoric for me. bad trips really only happen at incredibly high doses most of the time.

as myself and others have said, bad trips are a product of your subconscious mind releasing all kinds of negative emotions that you had previously forced below the surface. if you can honestly examine yourself and you know that you are in a good state of mind and good place in life, then you won't have a bad trip. and you ALWAYS want to have trusted people around just in case you feel insecure about yourself.

^^Agreed. If you go into it expecting a bad trip the chances are alot better of having one. But generally it's not a problem on low/medium doses so long as you don't do something foolish. Only really bad trips (bad moments on a trip are a different story) I've had one was caused by taking over 1/2 0z of shrooms. The other involved riding a roller coaster (I'm scared of heights) on LSD. If you use a little common sense they are rare.

Being confused, and panicing with visual and auditory hallucinations. Once I took over 4.5 at once, not knowing how strong the shrooms were. Ohhhhh what hell. Everything around me changed, I ended up freaking up around my buddies and bolting outside of the house we were in without shoes in the winter. I was running through a forest in the direction of my house for who knows how long, and nothing exitsed. I tried to call people on my phone but when I opened it, it kept restarting and going crazy. Time wasn't there, I fell outside of my body and seen myself fall on the floor in slow motion and I picked myself up off the floor shortly after in fast motion. I've never had such a frightening trip but maybe I'll write a report on what I learned from it.

Okay here is one that I had.

I was having a fun time and I just kept getting higher and higher, and it felt far to toxic. I kept asking myself "did I take too much?" and it was really starting to scare me. I start talking to a friend asking him for advice and he said "Relax, this is what we always do"........ this is when I got a BAD feeling that overwhelmed me like a vehicle spinning out of control. The way he phrased it made us sound like we had drug problems again.

I started to think all kinds of negative thoughts like I should break up with my girlfriend I don't deserve her, that I had let down my mom because I didn't go straight to college after high school, that I should have never left the military, that my life was over, and that I was a big fuck up that will never mount to anything but drugs.

Then I started pacing around in circles telling my friends to fuck off because they wouldn't understand, I actually felt a bit suicidal at that point. For some reason the mushrooms convinced me that everyone I know would be better off without me. Eventually I told my friends to lock me in a room and not let me near any dangerous / sharp objects till I calmed down, this kind of scared them because this is not normal for me.

I eventually talked myself out of the bad trip because the positives outweighed the negatives and because they were leaving to set off some fire-works in the pit and I didn't want to be in a dark house all alone on 7 grams of shrooms.

Hope this doesn't happen to you, happy tripping <3

yes 7 grams of mushrooms once gave me one hell of a living nightmare.

I was having a fun time and I just kept getting higher and higher, and it felt far to toxic. I kept asking myself "did I take too much?" and it was really starting to scare me. I start talking to a friend asking him for advice and he said "Relax, this is what we always do"........ this is when I got a BAD feeling that overwhelmed me like a vehicle spinning out of control. The way he phrased it made us sound like we had drug problems again.

Oh how i know that feeling. That's what i find very different about mushrooms opposed LSD.

You can interpret a simple sentence or reply in the worst possible way, and as soon as you interpret it in a negative manner your mind spirals out of control focusing on all the negative attributes of your life.

This happened with me as-well, i was the passenger in a car with my friend driving, and he was asking me which way to get back to my place.. as im directing him i said 'Just keep following this road straight ahead'.. this road goes down on a slant and you cant see the end of it except for a few house's which 'seem' to be right in-front of it.

Anyway, he replied to me jokingly 'If i keep going straight ahead, it looks like im going to go straight into that house' and i replied laughingly 'Yeah it seems a bit like that doesn't it'. Immediately after i said that i was overwhelmed with the worst sensation of fear that.. if i continued my life the way i was i was going to be dead very soon.

That my life was like a fast car driving head first into a brick wall, it's only a matter of time.. which sent me into a negative spiral concerning my family, myself, my lifestyle.. it was very therapeutic, but it blew me away at how it twisted my words back onto me in such a negative manner.

this is the truth. on a bad trip, your life flashed before your eyes. every good moment, every bad moment. every time you hurt someone close to you. every bad choice, every wrong turn, every decision that made YOU who YOU are now. you wish you could take it back and be a better person but you know it is too late and you are being judged by the only impartial God in the universe-- your own conscience. You get to see everything that makes you completely unworthy of life, yet at the end of it all you are still alive and you thank the almighty stars for giving you the ability to feel such powerful emotions of fear and love.

bad trips are amazing in their ability to change your life, but they require weeks or months of reintegration.

nicely put

I once forgot I took mushrooms. I knew I had done -something- involving a mushrooms, WHATEVER A MUSHROOMS WAS, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. It was a very high dose, and I was utterly disconnected from reality. I held a lighter in my hand, turning it over and over trying to figure out what it was. Nothing made sense, and I forgot I was on a drug (I forgot what drugs were) and so decided to walk home, alone at 1am.

It's terrifying to walk home while the universe moves in concentric circles, little loops of time that make no sense.

Last night, I was convinced that I was about to die. That was as close to a bad trip I've ever gotten. However, I accepted my fate, and I of course did not die. But my ego did.

I had a bad experience in the form of really disturbing and nasty halluzinations. It was a grid that were on everything almost and it was flashing like a stroboscop. With open and closed eyes the same - on one hand an really amazing visual, kind of endless in width, but the flashing made me sick. Fortunately got better soon.
I were outside, alone at night nearby a forest.

I have to agree to the other posts about the wrong trip location / trip partners, this kind of stuff can also result in unpleasant trips. Anyway if things get to unpleasant change your situation, go away, change music, drink a beer etc...
Mushrooms can hit hard, but in most cases they are controllable - though not in all cases :)

A 3 hour panic attack...

Was with my girlfriend, and we didnt have a set location. Wont be doing that again!

I always assumed a "bad trip" was one wrought with anxiety, frightening visuals and feelings of going insane, but for me it was more physically painful than anything.

My first time with shrooms started off great, so I kept eating more and more. And more. Suddenly, I felt overcome with fatigue and flu-like aches all over my body and had to lie down right there. My urinary tract hurt sooo bad and I had a headache from hell for about 4 hours. I had the feeling I was going to die or that that's what it'd feel like to die, but there was no anxiety attached to it whatsoever. Later experiences with psychedelics like mescaline have triggered similar experiences, but none as bad as the first shroom adventure.

I once forgot I took mushrooms. I knew I had done -something- involving a mushrooms, WHATEVER A MUSHROOMS WAS, and I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. It was a very high dose, and I was utterly disconnected from reality. I held a lighter in my hand, turning it over and over trying to figure out what it was. Nothing made sense, and I forgot I was on a drug (I forgot what drugs were) and so decided to walk home, alone at 1am.

It's terrifying to walk home while the universe moves in concentric circles, little loops of time that make no sense.

Ohhh, I had this recently. I took 40mg of 2c-e, i was laying in a park by myself at like 2pm (thankfully it was daytime) when I started to peak, I smelt dogpoo while rolling on the ground in the grass when I got scared that maybe i'd rolled in dogpoo, so i got up and checked myself but my jacket was just a bunch of swirly patterns and everything smelt like poo so i got up and walked away then started laughing to myself, 'haha what even is dog poo, why do dogs poo. do i poo? what even is poo? oh shit where the fuck am i, is that a tree? what do tree's look like?>?! i need to make a left to get home. wait, what is a left?! wtf?!'
Even though I had no idea where I was or how to get home, some how i manage to get home in a direct route, as if my mind couldn't comprahend how to get home but my instinct knew and that took over while i went into panic mode and got paranoid about not being able to get home while the world around me was breaking into pieces.