The Big & Bearded Post Rock thread v. Relate & Recommend bands

I've only heard Black Math Horsemen's 'Wylt', you should check it out if you haven't
Also, I don't know if you know of a band called 'Eryn Non Dae' but you might like them

I've only heard Black Math Horsemen's 'Wylt', you should check it out if you haven't
Also, I don't know if you know of a band called 'Eryn Non Dae' but you might like them

it's the album i meant, they (unfortunately) only released one so far. i am very fond of that album.
also: a battle of mice - a day of nights

Aw man so glad I found this thread, had a sort of break from post rock for a while and this is just what I needed to whet my appetite again, anyway onto some awesome songs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZTM8sYbDGw Toe - Kodoku No Hatsumei. Toe are get labelled math rock because of their time signatures and rhythms but I think they've got that classic post-rock sound. Also their drummer is fucking intense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lm-AC8GkSPA Mogwai - Cody. One of the few Mogwai songs with vocals, but they use the vox in typical post-rock kinda fashion, just adding a layer to the music. The lyrics are absolutely beautiful, some of my favourite ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGmq8BrzoKA Years - The Major Lift. Years is a dude from broken social scene but I can't remember who. This song is fookin awesome, although probably not strictly post-rock. You guys should enjoy it though!

Got love for a lot of shoegaze bands but this song by Ride has never been topped imo. Perfect mix of the alternative scene going on in the UK at the time combined with the shoegaze movement. The solo towards the end blows me away every fucking time.

a place to bury strangers, don caballero, battles (my favorite), tortoise, and i think Tool have a lot of post rock type elements in their sound, but many people may disagree.

and btw shoegaze and post rock arent the same genre...

i love a place to bury strangers. how is their new album by the way? their first two albums are on constant rotation when i'm stoned.
i know they heavily borrowed their sound from jesus & the mary chain but i could never really get into them, in fact i only like one of their songs.

another band i dearly love, giant squid:
cenotes
sevengill
dead man's slough

and subrosa:
beneath the crown
stonecarver (takes a while to get going, so feel free to skip the first 3-4 minutes. it gets seriously amazing then)

jesu's silver ep (i absolutely love godflesh so jesu has been a huge let down for me, but this is their only release i feel i didn't waste money on buying it):
silver
star
wolves
dead eyes

Last edited:
So shall I change it to the Post-Rock, Shoegaze, Math Rock, Post-whathaveyou thread?

Yes, I'd call them a Math rock band. They have fundamental commonalities with post-rock, as well as having a core 'math' element. I mean you could call them an instrumental postmath-rock band if you wanted to sound like a tool.
I'm just saying you can't include math bands with post-rock, I mean if people started posting psyopus to DEP to ETID to Meshuggah
I mean there are the likes of Maserati and Lite and shit, but they have the commonalities a lot of Math music lacks.

Word. Getting' technical on me, lol.

I normally call Don Cab good music. Old don cab that is.

the one post-rock song I always go back to. can't be arsed to check if I've posted it before ITT; fuck it.

Even if you have, it never gets old.
That album and Winter Hymn are my two favorites of theirs.

Since the majority of worthy postrock is already here, Imma add just a few more :)

Labradford- Very minimal, but a postrock classic nontheless

Her Name Is Calla- English pr, they have some of the best peaks imo

Detwije- Also from England, they have that constant epic feel

Braveyoung- kinda slowish but very solid

Low in the Sky- Borderline postrock, they mix it with hiphop beats and such

They're down to a trio now. I hear the extra efforts to make up for the missing man-power. And I fucking love it, a lot more than their previous album.

Even if you have, it never gets old.
That album and Winter Hymn are my two favorites of theirs.

For me it's

&yet&yet

Goodbye Enemy Airship

Besides

Although EITS is my first love (and many other post-rock bands hold a special place in my heart), DMST is my favorite.

Whaaaaa? Really.. not even an honorable mention to Winter Hymn? Have you ever actually heard the album?

And EiTS for me is just the leader of all those second-wave post rock bands that were taking Mogwai's style to extreme levels of repetition.