The Big & Bearded Post Rock thread v. Relate & Recommend bands

Whaaaaa? Really.. not even an honorable mention to Winter Hymn? Have you ever actually heard the album?

And EiTS for me is just the leader of all those second-wave post rock bands that were taking Mogwai's style to extreme levels of repetition.

Winter Hymn has Frederica and that's all that does it for me. That being said, Frederica is one of my favorite DMST songs.

EiTS put on a good show, you can't deny their passion in that respect. Are they the most technical? No. But Those Who Tell the Truth is in my top ten albums --- in any genre. Really heartfelt stuff. I can't really speak to their newer material, but man . . .

Last edited:
Frederica is awesome but I think you must have gotten stuck on it since it was the first track. When I first had the cd I thought that was the only good song on the album. Then I went on a road trip and my friend fell asleep. I smoked a bowl and put it on and I fell in love with it for the first time. And it's been pure love since.

Feast your ears on Cheval de Frise, probably my favourite duo in any genre
It's a stellar album and should be listened to in it's entirety, but there's no full album stream
Here's the first song:

and the seventh

finally got around listening to Russian Circles latest release Memorial today. i dunno, im going to like it, it just didnt hit me the way any of the other albums have after the first sample. maybe more weed and opiates next time, just wasnt the fix i was expecting at the time ;)

any others got an opinion on these guys or the album?

Frederica is awesome but I think you must have gotten stuck on it since it was the first track. When I first had the cd I thought that was the only good song on the album. Then I went on a road trip and my friend fell asleep. I smoked a bowl and put it on and I fell in love with it for the first time. And it's been pure love since.

I'll check out the rest of the album 4u. If you can find it, check out the DMST release:

In Session Studio 211 Toronto 25.04.2007

If you can't find it, lemme know. Shit is SO on point.

[video=youtube_share;wrhHlNiNWOc]http://youtu.be/wrhHlNiNWOc[/video]

One of my favorite songs by them, so great, so climactic.

Funny story, the first time i heard this song, which was also the first time i had heard this band, I was on mushrooms (a lot of them) and when i heard that intro, for some reason i assumed it was meshuggah. It was only after about 2 minutes in that I realized how bizarre of an assumption that was.

Last edited:
If we're doing best of dmst, I'd like to suggest this:

I think the best do make say think moment happens at 4:43

I'll check out the rest of the album 4u. If you can find it, check out the DMST release:

In Session Studio 211 Toronto 25.04.2007

If you can't find it, lemme know. Shit is SO on point.

I cannot find it honey bunny.

Post Rock Thread vers "Just wait, it gets better in a couple minutes."

New Silver Mt. Zion has leaked.

On January 21, Constellation release the next LP from Godspeed You! Black Emperor offshoot Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra (aka A Silver Mt. Zion, Thee Silver Mt. Zion, Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial Orchestra & Tra-La-La Band,…)
It’s titled Fuck Off Get Free We Pour Light On Everything and follows 2010′s Kollaps Tradixionales. A press release notes that the album was written by the group’s current five-piece lineup, and is thus “heavier” and more “direct.”
The six-track effort sees SMZ exploring music that is more “laser-guided and bone-rattling than ever, melding hardcore, blues, garage and dark metal influences that have nothing to do with anything so quaint as ‘post-rock.’”

Seems enticing. Downloading now.

still listening to Russian Circles like all the time. . .

ebola

Is this Neurosis and Isis friendly, or more your jangly twinkly shit?
I've sort of outgrown post-rock but I still enjoy certain characteristics of it.
Odd timing, tempo shifts, long crescendos/build ups, intense peaks, etc but I just don't feel a lot of the music labelled "post-rock"

The last post-rockish band I discovered are a band called damascus

This is one of my absolute favourite bands. They usually play math-rock but this here is a post-rock song. The album as a whole is quite subpar (as all of their post 2007 work has been) but I love this song.

I have rediscovered this little gem, though.