• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos The Benzodiazepine MEGA THREAD - Direct Benzo Questions Here

Xanax vs Valium

0.5mg of Alprazolam is supposed to be the same as 10mg of diazepam. To me, 1.5mgof Xanax get me where 10mg of diazepam gets me. I guess I am not the panicky type. I prefer the Valium feel over Xanax any day but the problem is that it stays in one's body too long....and Xanax too short. Something that feels like Valium with a shorter half-life would be ideal IMHO. Any suggestions or comments here? Also funny thing...when I take temazepam I can't feel relaxed or anything for 40 minutes and suddenly I'm gone (asleep). It's really weird compared to Xanax and Valium. Purely for sleeping purposes. Haven't tried any other benzos and something is telling me I should avoid and decrease use of this drug class asap as it seems to be creeping up on me....especially after taking Xanax for 5 out of the last 7 days.....slippery slope.

^If you notice that you're flirting with benzo addiction, I recommend to tread carefully these next few weeks...

I also recommend to not use benzos with long durations because this makes avoiding addiction even harder. With drugs like diazepam, even taking every other or third day could still easily cause addiction due to the long half-life. Alprazolam is certainly more suited to the non-daily dosing you are describing.

Flunitrazepam.....or as we call them green monsters are, if you can even rank benzos on their euphoric properties, the absolute craziest benzo I have had the luck of trying.

agreed. rohypnol is schedule 1 where I live but I was lucky enough to come across 20 1mg from mexico (the green ones). these definitely are my favorite benzo.. they are much more recreational then any other benzos. almost kinda like a mild opiate and benzo mixed into one? good stuff..

^If you notice that you're flirting with benzo addiction, I recommend to tread carefully these next few weeks...

I also recommend to not use benzos with long durations because this makes avoiding addiction even harder. With drugs like diazepam, even taking every other or third day could still easily cause addiction due to the long half-life. Alprazolam is certainly more suited to the non-daily dosing you are describing.

thanks. I can't really speak to anybody about this as none of my friends are into this...they just look at me as if Im a junkie. Good to have BLers for support.

First benzo i tried was 1 mg lorazepams. I found 4 mg gave me an effect much like ambien; i thought there was a few people in the house that i'd invited over & rudely ignored. 2 mg before a plane trip, though i have no fear of flying i just wanted some rest onboard, with some beer had me 'nodding' barely able to keep my eyes open. I got jolted awake on takeoff!

Then came diazepam, the best all rounder. This benzo works for alcohol hangovers like nothing else. Ever wake up from pounding shots & downing beers only to feel horrid restless agitation? 10/20 mg diazepam is the panacea. 5/15 mg gives a very pleasant sleep. However they work well for mild anxiety but with moderate/severe anxiety despite a 20 mg dose anxiety can still be felt somewhat. Anything above 25 mg is no good in my opinion; side effects from doses above 25/30mg in my experience have included hiccups that last many hours (sounds funny but gets really serious) & paradoxical feelings of stimulation.

Nitrazepam is okay. 5mg is very weak, nothing recreational, you wont even notice you're on anything unless you lie down, then you find sleep comes easy. 10mg on the other hand is pretty full-on; once i took 10 mg at a friends house anticipating sleeping over that evening, we were drinking wine & smoking joints, then my friend & his flatmate had a pathetic argument so i left. With much difficulty. Never have i felt so physically affected by a benzo; i could barely even walk. I staggered home at a snails pace like a 90 year old man who'd shot up heroin. There was no way to control it either. My limbs just refused to respond normally.

In summary i find, like many, many others Diazepam to be the best all rounder. It can help you sleep, it can help you get over a comedown from cocaine & alcohol, it's what they'd give a person freaking out in hospital from a psychedelic nightmare. It works well enough for anxiety 90% of the time too. The best thing about diazepam though is that I can take it or leave it. Other benzo tend to be very 'moreish' & addictive whereas diazepam tends to last me months.

In the future i'd like to try Triazolam as it's the only sleeping pill Dr. Hunter s. Thompson considered worth using. Also i'm curious about Flurazepam, flunitrazepam & perhaps even oxazepam as i hear it's the least addictive & recreational while still possessing all the sedative/anxiolytic qualitys.

agreed. rohypnol is schedule 1 where I live but I was lucky enough to come across 20 1mg from mexico (the green ones). these definitely are my favorite benzo.. they are much more recreational then any other benzos. almost kinda like a mild opiate and benzo mixed into one? good stuff..

Flunitrazepam is not a Schedule I drug anywhere in the US. ALL benzos are Schedule IV, but flunitrazepam is illegal (banned) and temazepam requires specially coded prescription pads in certain states.

Here's a link and if you don't trust wikipedia then here is the U.S. Department of Justice link.

I've done flunitrazepam several times, and think it is a great hypnotic and a nice benzo but I don't think it's the most euphoric. It's severely overrated, if you ask me. It's great don't get me wrong, but it's not all that it's cracked up to be. Temazepam i've found to have stronger effects, same with nitrazepam and triazolam. I'm sure brotizolam would probably be stronger.

Last edited:
This is from erowid..

Yes, just like I said and like what my links say.

All benzos in the U.S. are Schedule 4, even if they aren't available commercially like nitrazepam or lormetazepam for example, etc.

Flunitrazepam is just illegal and is not available. Temazepam requires specially coded scripts in some states (this is due to it's status as a Schedule III Internationally under UN law, unlike all other benzos which are Schedule IV internationally).

^ true..
i was just trying to back up what you were saying with erowid's info if your two links weren't enough to convince who you were talking to. I wasn't trying to say you are wrong.

Flunitrazepam is not a Schedule I drug anywhere in the US.

As of November 1997, Florida, Idaho, Minnesota, New
Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, and Pennsylvania
have placed Rohypnol under Schedule I control

http://www.cesar.umd.edu/cesar/drugs/rohypnol.pdf

I never said it was scheduled federally I said it was schedule 1 where I live (it is)

I can pull up the relevant state legislation if you like..

Also check this out:

In 1997, penalties for possession, trafficking, and distribution of Rohypnol were further increased by the U.S. Sentencing Commission’s Federal Sentencing Guidelines to those of a Schedule I substance because of growing abuse of the drug.

from http://www.dhra.mil/perserec/adr/drugs/rohypnol.htm

Last edited:
I REALLLY feel that Diazepam is the hands down Best benzodiazapine for myself. Then I will say Alprazolam. So far I am getting longer, and better effects from lower doeses of Diazepam, then I was of higher doses of Alprazolam(meaning Diazepam I will feel for a lot longer and Xanax You always redose). Since I switched from Klonopin to this things have been dandy and great. Now if I had a choice I would go for Xanax, but I still like the fact Diazepam doesn't leave me anxious as fuck and fiendy the next day early, and I can take Diazepam get nice results, and not have to dose again the next day for quite a bit.

while tapering down, im taking kava kava and valerian to help ease the w/d's
it seems to be helping but im wondering would that do more harm than good

the valerian and kava seem to have helped me a bunch, i dont feel so sketchy between doses, im sleeping better, im more upbeat,

im just a little apprehensive that the kava and valarian could just be prolonging the inevitable ,

in the past when i have tapered and went out and had a few drinks , the next day i felt sketchy and felt like i needed to up my dose,

I remember reading that kava kava has an effect on the GABAa receptor when someone was asking about combining it with booze ages ago. I don't have time to look into it now and I'm not that great with benzos but I would suspect that it is somewhat prolonging the inevitable, but also likely helping reduce how bad the inevitable actually is.

^ wtf? Dude if kava kava & valerian is helping then that's fantastic. You're not just extending the wd. If you go cold turkey & use the herbs to help you that's fine, they're not setting you up for a worse withdrawal in the future.

Mixing them with booze is not good though, i cannot tell you exactly why i've just heard that many times.

valerian has gaba activity just like booze and benzos.. Not sure about kava

^ kava has more effect than valerian on GABA.. you can buy the 80 something % kavalactone or full spectrum (which i prefer) extract and it fucks you up like benzos. it's sold at a lot of places and it relatively easy to find.

This is the second time you have "corrected" me with wrong information in one week. Please start sourcing any comments you make.

Kava Pyrones and Resin: Studies on GABAA, GABAB and Benzodiazepine Binding Sites in Rodent Brain

Abstract: Kava, an intoxicating beverage prepared from the pepper plant Piper methysticum, is widely consumed by the indigenous peoples in the islands of the South Pacific. As the first of a series of studies on the neuropharmacological interactions of kava with CNS receptors we tested purified pyrones and kava resin for activity on GABA and benzodiazepine binding sites in rat and mouse brain membranes. Only weak activity was observed on GABAA binding sites in washed synaptosomal membranes prepared from rat brain and this was abolished by extraction of the membranes with Triton X-100, suggesting that lipid soluble components were involved. No effects were observed on GABAa binding sites in rat brain membranes in vitro. Kava resin and pyrones exerted some weak effects on benzodiazepine binding in vitro but this did not correlate with pharmacological activity. In addition, in ex vivo studies, no effects were observed on [3H]diazepam binding to brain membranes prepared from mice in which selected kava constituents were injected intraperitoneally, whereas similarly administered diazepam (5 mg/kg) inhibited [3H]diazepam binding by >95%. Similar lack of activity was observed in in vivo binding studies; injection of kava resin failed to influence the CNS binding of the benzodiazepine-receptor ligand [3H]Ro15-1788 injected into mice prior to sacrifice. The pharmacological activities of kava resin and pyrones do not appear to be explained by any significant interaction with GABA or benzodiazepine binding sites.

This is the second time you have "corrected" me with wrong information in one week. Please start sourcing any comments you make.

Kava Pyrones and Resin: Studies on GABAA, GABAB and Benzodiazepine Binding Sites in Rodent Brain

Abstract: Kava, an intoxicating beverage prepared from the pepper plant Piper methysticum, is widely consumed by the indigenous peoples in the islands of the South Pacific. As the first of a series of studies on the neuropharmacological interactions of kava with CNS receptors we tested purified pyrones and kava resin for activity on GABA and benzodiazepine binding sites in rat and mouse brain membranes. Only weak activity was observed on GABAA binding sites in washed synaptosomal membranes prepared from rat brain and this was abolished by extraction of the membranes with Triton X-100, suggesting that lipid soluble components were involved. No effects were observed on GABAa binding sites in rat brain membranes in vitro. Kava resin and pyrones exerted some weak effects on benzodiazepine binding in vitro but this did not correlate with pharmacological activity. In addition, in ex vivo studies, no effects were observed on [3H]diazepam binding to brain membranes prepared from mice in which selected kava constituents were injected intraperitoneally, whereas similarly administered diazepam (5 mg/kg) inhibited [3H]diazepam binding by >95%. Similar lack of activity was observed in in vivo binding studies; injection of kava resin failed to influence the CNS binding of the benzodiazepine-receptor ligand [3H]Ro15-1788 injected into mice prior to sacrifice. The pharmacological activities of kava resin and pyrones do not appear to be explained by any significant interaction with GABA or benzodiazepine binding sites.

lol who corrected you.you. you said nothing wrong to begin with.. you said you dont know about kava and when else did i "correct you".. i will get a source describing all of kavas effects and i think 99% of BLers would say kava is stronger.

I have taken kava myself and KNOW FOR SURE it has benzo like activities.

Last edited:
here's your source:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kavalactone

EDIT: and i don't need to source shit for no one.. if you're too lazy to find the right info yourself that's your prob.

you are looking at kava pyrones.. i specifically said kavaLACTONES make sure you get the post right before you dis credit it.

Last edited: