• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos The Benzodiazepine MEGA THREAD - Direct Benzo Questions Here

WEIRD: I was addicted to CLONAZ and LORAZ for about 3-4 years (since I was 16) and have been off of them for a year. I tried taking just 1mg CLONAZ and I felt so depressed and sick, it was horrible! Has anyone had the same experience or can explain?

I have experienced just this, at an even lower dose.

Clonazepam tends to cause paradoxical reactions (other benzos can too) within certain people, namely myself. No other benzos have ever done this to me.

I don't know why it randomly started happening to you - weird indeed.

Either way I wouldn't take clonazepam anymore, and stick to low dose, and responsible frequency (1 to 2 times per month) of lorazepam so as to be able to attain desired effects when you need it to work.

Hello so I have used 1-3mg xanax for four days, took two off, and have now be on 1-1.5mg clonazepam for four days as well.

Am I running risk of benzo dependence ?? Is this type of use borderline? I am on Suboxone, just want to make sure this doesn't run away as well.

Psychological dependence maybe, especially if you are prone to benzo abuse.

However if you stop now - as lou lou reed said - there's no physical dependency.

One time I took varying dosages of instant release alprazolam - 0.5mg, 0.75mg, and 1mg at most, once per day (at night time) for a week, and when I stopped I was fine. The night I had 0.75mg was probably the most ideal, and 1mg was still too much for me.

I find that the tolerance builds fast though to alprazolam compared to any other benzo I have tried, though I haven't dosed most benzos more than once per day as is.

Last edited:
I have a question that I'm not sure that a thread is necessary, but will create one if the mods give me the go ahead. Until then, I will post my questions in this mega thread.

I've been going to a methadone clinic for about three months now and hiding the fact that I have several benzo scripts for legitimate anxiety/sleep issues. A few days ago I tested positive for benzos for the second time and I told my counselor that I had scripts for them. Long story short, I have to quit taking them or let my doctor/family know that I am still using despite they believe I am two years clean from opiates after multiple overdoses and a $40k rehab visit several years ago. I hate having to hide this from my parents, but they do not understand the concept of opiate maintenance therapy. I know this sounds like I am afraid for my parents to know that I am going to the clinic, but I would honestly be kicked out of my house.

I said all of that to ask these questions so yall would have some background information. I take 1mg of Klonopin 3x a day and 30mg of temazepam at night as well. I have taken benzos daily, nonstop for 4 years, sometimes 180mg+ of temazepam or 20mg of Xanax at once.

I have to quit taking benzos and test negative for benzos within 2 weeks. I know no drug testing questions are allowed, but that's not what I am remotely trying to ask. I have tried going cold turkey several times and I just feel like I am not even alive, it's a weird feeling, but I just feel like I am on autopilot and it stops when I take benzos.

If you didn't read all of that. Should I go cold turkey from 4 years of daily, and at times heavy benzo use or do a quick taper? My other question is this, just say I am benzo free for two weeks and I have a panic attack and need to take a small dose of benzos to stop it, would I be put back at day one like as far as opiate wd are concerned?

I get monthly UA each month and my other option is to slowly taper and stop within enough time to test negative for benzos. Would that be safer or just prolonging the misery?

Mods, if this is appropriate for its own thread, would you please let me know because this is a very urgent and important matter for me. Thanks to everyone that responds.

dont go cold turkey. maybe you could switch to a benzo that doesnt show on tests? not sure if there is one, phenazepam maybe?

Last edited:
I think that phenazpam will still show up..

Def. don't stop taking the benzos. Can you find a different methadone clinic?

If worse came to worse it would be better to do an administrative detox off the methadone then kick the benzos that quick.

Hope you figure something out

6-APB (or Benzo Fury, but quit calling it that) has nothing to do with benzodiazepines.

I think that phenazpam will still show up..

Def. don't stop taking the benzos. Can you find a different methadone clinic?

If worse came to worse it would be better to do an administrative detox off the methadone then kick the benzos that quick.

Hope you figure something out

I live in the middle of no where and that's the only clinic that's within daily driving distance. I'm seriously considering just going to a bupe doctor instead of the methadone clinic every single day.

Summer of 2010 I was admitted to the E.R with sepsis and infections in my lungs.
I had been doing just 2-4mg Clonazepam per day for maybe a year, though I did a lot of GHB every day to.

Anyway while in the hospital I was hit with the most awfull benso and GHB withdrawal, I was in 100% fullblown benso delirium.

I litteray saw people climb into my room from the windows, strange people come in from the door that was there to harm me.
Many times I just ripped all the tubes and IV's out of my chest and arm and run into the bathroom and locked the door to try to escape those wanting to harm me.

I also saw cameras in the corners of my room where they monitored me. I believed my family was at danger, I was just nuts.. The staff were confused.

I were in this state for about a week, finally a doc from the drug dependency unit came and saw me and prescribed 150mg of Oxazepam (That being the only benso not going through the liver because i had liver failure) and when I took my first dose 1h later it was just such a relief.. man that feeling can't be described.

Just my story of benso addiction. I had quit cold turkey many times before, I still don't know why I got deleriuos that time.
Today im on a very low dose of Oxazepam.

^ my post #15 on the 1st page.. i added some info about phenazepam, im not sure how good info it is because i think i was on it when i did it and barely remember lol

Do I risk being a victim of physical dependence if I've been taking 10mgs of Ambien for sleep (just quit opiates) for about a month?

technically yes there is a risk. but it depends on different peoples make up.. one might get physically hooked in a month but it might take you 2.. but generally with drugs like that, 1 month is around the time you want to start thinking about getting off of it and living without it. or else you will have an addiction.

^Man, quitting opiates has made my insomnia so much worse lol. Thanks for the advice though. Technically I've only been taking them for about 24 days; either way, I'll be quitting here within a day or two.

There is always some risk with benzos and Z-drugs (ambien) as they go to work on your receptors at the first dose. Benzos either downregulate or uncouple them and in some people like me, most unfortunately, this can be a slow process to reverse!

Xanax I found was pretty good with PV strangely. Allowed me to keep all the euphoria/high from PV but less anxiety.

I find the same thing with Klonopin. It takes the edge off MDPV, as well as the anxiety. Don't find this to be true of other stimulants though - or benzos.

What if any are the relationships of gabapentin on benzodiazepines like alprazolam and clonazepam in terms of tolerance / potentiation?

If I take gabapentin frequently at lower doses (~.6-1.2g), will my tolerance for benzos go up or something?

^I would assume yes. Your brain will regulate to cope with the level of activity that is present, for sure.

PS- Gabapentin/ pregabalin are notorious for building tolerance very quickly themselves...

Actually I don't believe that GABA analogues such as pregabalin and gabapentin will raise tolerance for benzodizepines.

Pregabalin and gabapentin primarily work by halting new synapses as well as through binding to the α2δ subunit of the voltage-dependent calcium channel. Pregabalin has been shown to decrease release of neurotransmitters such as glutamate, noradrenaline and substance P and neither produce GABAa agonist effects like benzodiazepines do.

i got a question bout benzos.... if i were to take say 50 mg of valium in the middle of the week and around 90 mg of flurazepam at the weekend over a long period of time would i get a physical dependance? just wondering cos since they are different drugs,and one night per week of takin 1 specific drug seems safe enough and wouldnt cause any wd once i quit

would i be right in saying that or am i well off the mark? thoughts?

Overall, the gabapentin and lyrica will likely have some effect on tolerance, although indirectly as cane pointed out. It seems that both benzos and the analogues will induce upregulation of the stimulating neuro systems so you will be developing heightened stimulation response through tolerance to either, but the pregab/gabpntn is much milder in this regard IMO. I stopped using lyrica for my benzo wd's because I do think it will hinder my CNS readjustment and the weight gain sucked too.

And thepool, a benzo is a benzo really, alternating types won't prevent wd's and might actually heighten them by hitting a broader range of benzo type receptors/sites. Not using every day might help prevent wd's but IMO 2x a week is too often and you eventually develop wd's and once wd's hit you'll start the "kindling phenomenon" i.e. multiple wd's, by not taking every day. If you do go into wd's you'll need to keep a constant although gradually tapered dose in your system to get off of them with the least chance of total cold turkey brain shock like I experienced. Don't want to preach, but really don't fuck around with benzos.

Some people should not take benzos: my friend is in jail for robbing a liquor store after taking 5 clonazepams (1mg each), he was a pretty normal guy and I would have never suspected something like that to happen to him!