• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

The 70s rock, punk and new wave thread...

"You cunt, I'm not a queer" has got to be one of the best lyrics ever...

When he wears hats and he cannot - I never realised they'd changed the lyrics the first time I heard "you cunt i'm not a queer" I chuckled.

Was looking at tracks that needed collecting together and heard a track I haven't heard for years (and considering the world geopolitik at the time it was released, it still sent a shiver down my spine)

TV Smith's Explorers : 'Tomahawk Cruise'
(TV Smith was the singer with the Adverts, beforehand and IMO, was responsible for some of the most insightful and intelligent lyrics of punk, along with John Lydon)

PS. Sorry, I don't know how to post a copy of the song, but check out yotube - the song is brilliant

Space Ritual Tour. First concert I ever saw. Ground floor seats. Massey Hall, Toronto, Spring, 1974. Orange barrel acid and weed. Blew me away!
My mate, who's a few years older than me, takes pleasure at recalling seeing Hawkwind on the Space Ritual tour, just to watch me wish I had seen them (some of my friends can be utter twats, at times! 😅). I didb't see them until 1978 (Hawklords tour)

When he wears hats and he cannot - I never realised they'd changed the lyrics the first time I heard "you cunt i'm not a queer" I chuckled.
For me, I always loved Paul Weller's lyrics, especially a couple of lines from 'Start!' -"knowing that someone in this life, loves with a passion called hate"
Fucking brilliant

My mate, who's a few years older than me, takes pleasure at recalling seeing Hawkwind on the Space Ritual tour, just to watch me wish I had seen them (some of my friends can be utter twats, at times! 😅). I didb't see them until 1978 (Hawklords tour)
It was about September 1974 that I again saw Hawkwind; this time they were promoting their 'Hall Of The Mountain Grill" album. Saw them at Convocation Hall, University of Toronto. I had front row, center seats. 2 Yellow Soulfood blotters, 2 caps mescaline, lots of smoke and drink. I had a close-up of Lemmy smoking joints and drinking Labatt's 50. It was like the show was just for me! What a show! (I guess I can be a bit of a twat, too. Lol!)
Dave Brock would start the show by saying, "Welcome to the spaceship Hawkwind!"
I would've liked to have seen "The Hawklords!" :cool:

It was about September 1974 that I again saw Hawkwind; this time they were promoting their 'Hall Of The Mountain Grill" album. Saw them at Convocation Hall, University of Toronto. I had front row, center seats. 2 Yellow Soulfood blotters, 2 caps mescaline, lots of smoke and drink. I had a close-up of Lemmy smoking joints and drinking Labatt's 50. It was like the show was just for me! What a show! (I guess I can be a bit of a twat, too. Lol!)
Dave Brock would start the show by saying, "Welcome to the spaceship Hawkwind!"
I would've liked to have seen "The Hawklords!" :cool:
Go on, keep digging - you can really go off somebody!! 🤣
Just glad I got to see them with Bob Calvert as frontman (even if he totally fucked up trying to get a sword to stick in the wooden stage of Newcastle city hall!).
For what is usually seen as a typical acid head/hippie band, Hawkwind had a quite significant effect as a proto-punk band (again, Calvert's lyrics seem to have had a significant role to play: Jello Biafra - Dead Kennedys - really looked up to Calvert's lyrics and John Lydon's favourite band, pre Pistols, was Hawkwind; there's even a photo of him with long hair, looking quite like me, in his autobiography!)

Yes it was. It also wasn't about heroin. No way, not ever... ;)
Is it inappropriate to quote old posts you've only just seen?

Anyway, I'm amazed how some songs got past the censors. This and Blur's very very naughty and subversive Beetlebum being 2 prime examples. Both fantastic songs and the lyrics are blatantly obvious, if you already know.

I guess if you know you know and if you dont, you don't.

I believe The Stranglers denied the drugs / heroin association for years afterwards in interviews by the music press. Possibly for fear of getting the song pulled off radio playlists etc.

However, Damon Albarn has openly admitted that he and Justine Frishman of Elastica fame were experimenting with heroin at one point, and I think he wrote Beetlebum about her IIRC, or maybe it was about them or him at that time.

Is it inappropriate to quote old posts you've only just seen?

Anyway, I'm amazed how some songs got past the censors. This and Blur's very very naughty and subversive Beetlebum being 2 prime examples. Both fantastic songs and the lyrics are blatantly obvious, if you already know.

I guess if you know you know and if you dont, you don't.

I believe The Stranglers denied the drugs / heroin association for years afterwards in interviews by the music press. Possibly for fear of getting the song pulled off radio playlists etc.

However, Damon Albarn has openly admitted that he and Justine Frishman of Elastica fame were experimenting with heroin at one point, and I think he wrote Beetlebum about her IIRC, or maybe it was about them or him at that time.

Wow! I honestly never made the connection between 'Beetle bum' and partaking of the naughty stuff - until now.

It suddenly makes sense...

gonna have to just jump in with the hawkwind nostalgia..

first saw them at the stonehenge festival 1984, fucking terrifying as a teenager on acid tbh,

went on to see them (and various offshoots/partial lineups etc) somewhere around 40-50 times after that, primarily between 1984 and 1994 playing on makeshift stages on the uk free festival scene, but also in a few concert halls and massive tents etc and also afew big-production allnighters in London.

also had the remarkable (and suitably genuinely weird) experience of having Bob Calvert stay over at ours after his band played a warm-up gig for a uk tour in our town circa 1986, and have partied on 3 or 4 occasions with Nik Turner, twice in his home RIP. Have friends attending his funeral on Saturday and I could go...but I didn't 'know' the guy a such and am not a funeral ghoul so I'll not be going. I've got a mad memory of Nik attending a mutual friend of ours funeral around 20 years ago h owever - it was in a a church and Nik showed up dressed head to toe in a fucked up rubber lizard costume, with his sax of course which he took literally everywhere :cool:

so yeah a little history with them lot...was never one to follow bands around but just happened to mix on the fringes of the same scene as they did , great memories though

EDIT wild little clip on Nik and Bob playing with ICU, feel almost apologetic to have to tell you I was at this too lmao, two legends

Last edited:

first saw them at the stonehenge festival 1984, fucking terrifying as a teenager on acid tbh,

went on to see them (and various offshoots/partial lineups etc) somewhere around 40-50 times after that, primarily between 1984 and 1994 playing on makeshift stages on the uk free festival scene, but also in a few concert halls and massive tents etc and also afew big-production allnighters in London.

also had the remarkable (and suitably genuinely weird) experience of having Bob Calvert stay over at ours after his band played a warm-up gig for a uk tour in our town circa 1986, and have partied on 3 or 4 occasions with Nik Turner, twice in his home RIP. Have friends attending his funeral on Saturday and I could go...but I didn't 'know' the guy a such and am not a funeral ghoul so I'll not be going. I've got a mad memory of Nik attending a mutual friend of ours funeral around 20 years ago h owever - it was in a a church and Nik showed up dressed head to toe in a fucked up rubber lizard costume, with his sax of course which he took literally everywhere :cool:

so yeah a little history with them lot...was never one to follow bands around but just happened to mix on the fringes of the same scene as they did , great memories though

EDIT wild little clip on Nik and Bob playing with ICU, feel almost apologetic to have to tell you I was at this too lmao, two legends

Sad to hear of Nik's passing. I remember seeing him prance around the stage wearing the lizard man costume. I never forgot that or Nik. I suppose I'm not alone when I say that I'm too young to be old. Our time really has passed. :(

Wow! I honestly never made the connection between 'Beetle bum' and partaking of the naughty stuff - until now.

It suddenly makes sense...
Thinking about it, and I'm not sure if Ironic is the right word, but I never hear Golden Brown played on the radio any more anyway, not even on Radio 2, while I have heard Beetlebum played at least once or twice on XS Manchester.

I only listen to a mixture of XS Manchester (a local XFM) and Radio 2. Golden Brown definitely would fit into Radio 2s current thing of playing hits from the 70s and 80s as today's golden oldies for today's middle aged listeners.

Seeing as it's such a great track maybe this can only be down to the controllers having wised up to the drug references.

Where was that mate? There's a good chance I was there as well...

1984 Stonehenge on acid? Amemory of mine as well (as well as having todive out of the way of angel's bikes, hurtling arid in the dark!