• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

THC-O Megathread

Does anyone have any experience with this cannabinoid? Why is it not around.

im aware of THC-o-acetate beginning to make its way into certain markets, but why does no one talk about the water soluble ester THC-o-phosphate ?
I have neither seen or heard about O-phosphate. Interesting.

O-acetate is great but I've kinda sidelined it until I find a higher quality source. I'd assume the same of O-phosphate. I'd imagine both are coming from the same entity/people.

my local stocks d6, d8, d10, THC-O-a and HHC but not yet THC-O-p

Last edited:
I wonder if O-phosphate is trying to skirt the acetylation process, which itself makes me wondering how they are making acetylated THC - acetic anhydride is a schedule 1 precursor (heroin)

I have neither seen or heard about O-phosphate. Interesting.

O-acetate is great but I've kinda sidelined it until I find a higher quality source. I'd assume the same of O-phosphate. I'd imagine both are coming from the same entity/people.
I haven’t seen phosphate available or talked about anywhere.

move been hearing about acetate.

I tried some d8 acetate but it was trash, would like to find d9acetate and if someone made it I’d love to try phosphate.
I wonder if O-phosphate is trying to skirt the acetylation process, which itself makes me wondering how they are making acetylated THC - acetic anhydride is a schedule 1 precursor (heroin)
I’ve heard that acetic anhydride is actually not that hard to get.
And as long as you have a safe enough lab and procedure, you can synth it yourself.

i have not Sean o-phosphate available I was just learning about it.

I’ve heard that acetic anhydride is actually not that hard to get.
I watched a show about how it's much harder to find now since Mexico cracked down on their production a couple years ago but I really have no idea.
ied some d8 acetate but it was trash,
Yeah there are a lot of scam products out there right now with little to no thc-o in them.

I LOVE thc-o but the quality of the market is trash for sure.

This molecule should be very different from the O-acetate ester, despite having "similar" names.
THC-O-phosphate was described in a publication dating back to 1978.
It is thought to be a hydrosoluble prodrug of THC since the phosphoester bond can be hydrolyzed/cleaved by phosphatase enzymes (commonly found in the liver).
Interestingly, the alkaline phosphatases from mice have a hard time metabolizing THC-O-phosphate (cleaving the phosphoester bond), thus the compound ends up acting kinda like an extended-release version of THC (with a delayed onset and longer duration). So it's less potent and longer lasting than THC, at least in mice, AFAIK there is not human data yet.
Think of it kinda like psilocybin vs psilocin.

I don't think you could smoke or vape the O-phosphate ester, it likely has a pretty high boiling point so it might not be able to handle the heat... But who knows, it may be doable.
Are they actually selling THC-O-phosphate carts/vape juice? Or is it supposed to be some kind of tincture for oral use?

I don't think you could smoke or vape the O-phosphate ester
I question how safe it is to vape O-acetate (which is also an ester?)

it's incredibly smooth when vaping but it has this really odd delayed harshness/cough that comes on 10-20+ min later after vaping it. It makes me speculate that first stage metabolization actually occurs in the lungs? Why else would it take something 10 minutes to make you cough?

It's made me skeptical of THC-O's safety, at least when vaping it.. I don't want my lungs doing any heavy lifting when it comes to smoking drugs if you know what I mean

Some of the brands going around like Binoid actually cause even additional lung pain/wheezing/etc. It really feels unhealthy. It might be the MCT oil in that specific brand, I'm not sure.

I question how safe it is to vape O-acetate (which is also an ester?)

it's incredibly smooth when vaping but it has this really odd delayed harshness/cough that comes on 10-20+ min later after vaping it. It makes me speculate that first stage metabolization actually occurs in the lungs? Why else would it take something 10 minutes to make you cough?

Some of the brands going around like Binoid actually cause even additional lung pain/wheezing/etc. It really feels unhealthy. It might be the MCT oil in that specific brand, I'm not sure.
Yeah unfortunately it's difficult to assess the level of risk due to the lack of info.
Could be nothing more than some minor irritation, or something more serious...

So it seems like some brands cause much more discomfort than others. As you said, it could be (partly) caused by the MCT oil or some other compound/impurity.

Could you tell a bit more about those "delayed" side-effects? Is it like the typical cough you get cannabis products? Or do you experience breathing difficulties or something like that as well? (This doesn't really happen with cannabis as THC acts as a bronchodilator).

If I had to speculate, I'd say it could be cause by one of these things:
1) An intrinsic property of THC-O-acetate, such as the very high lipophilicity. It could very well take 10-30min or more for the irritation/damage to become really noticeable.
In this case the mechanism may be similar to the one from vitamin E acetate, but less severe. If I'm not mistaken, e-liquids also contained much more vit E acetate than the desired cannabinoid (THC, THC-O-Ac, etc...), right?
Or it could be a completely different mechanism, the O-acetate derivative could be having an unknown effect on lung cells (interacting with certain proteins/receptors, etc.).

2) Impurities/contaminants in the e-liquid, or by-products formed during the heating process.

Regarding the metabolism hypothesis. The quickest and most likely transformation would be the hydrolysis of the ester, producing acetic acid and THC. Hydrolase enzymes could (potentially) catalyse this reaction (some of them are present in the lungs).
However, I doubt this is the main cause of the problem, the amount of acetic acid produced would likely be too small to cause significant problems. Otherwise heroin smokers would experience a much more severe version of this, not only is acetic acid produced along with 6-MAM, there's often some acetic acid within the product as well (it's an impurity from the manufacturing process).

Could you tell a bit more about those "delayed" side-effects? Is it like the typical cough you get cannabis products? Or do you experience breathing difficulties or something like that as well? (This doesn't really happen with cannabis as THC acts as a bronchodilator).
It's similar but different to the effects of smoking cannabis products. Vaping thc-o feels like vaping nothing, air, all you get is the taste there are no immediate effects on the lungs.

Then, gradually but also timed, you get this tightness/proximity to cough feeling in your lungs. It's quite similar to taking a huge bong rip but much less intense and more drawn out, extended, gradual. It's not exactly alarming in any way - the only reason I think it's so weird is the delay. I've never smoked/vaped something and then a full 20 min later it brings a cough. That's very odd to me. You don't feel any lung sensations for at least 10 min after vaping...

If you've ever smoked a bunch of weed and then tried to smoke/vape a nicotine product and it feels like you're gonna cough/choke - THC-O produces a similar feeling.

Man it's hard to put into words... I tried. It's a similar lung tightness to THC but different, much more gradual and drawn out.

I just wonder why it would take 15+ minutes to feel this in my lungs post vaping it - it stays in the lungs for 15 minutes before the bloodstream? (it also takes about twice as long to peak on this stuff than regular THC) It's a very unique feeling on this lungs, that's for sure. Something new to me, but also familiar. Cannabis like but also unique in a concerning way.

If I had to speculate, I'd say it could be cause by one of these things:
1) An intrinsic property of THC-O-acetate, such as the very high lipophilicity. It could very well take 10-30min or more for the irritation/damage to become really noticeable.
In this case the mechanism may be similar to the one from vitamin E acetate, but less severe. If I'm not mistaken, e-liquids also contained much more vit E acetate than the desired cannabinoid (THC, THC-O-Ac, etc...), right?
Or it could be a completely different mechanism, the O-acetate derivative could be having an unknown effect on lung cells (interacting with certain proteins/receptors, etc.).

2) Impurities/contaminants in the e-liquid, or by-products formed during the heating process.
I believe the former but it may be both. These carts I'm buying say "lab tested contains 780mg of THC-O" which is complete fucking bullshit. It maybe contains 30mg... if that.

These carts are HEAVILY cut. The d8 carts I buy are legit 95% d8 pure, but thc-o these carts are dirty. If they sold 95% pure THC-O carts it would absolutely be sending people to the hospital. They say 2-3x more potent than d9-THC, I would probably agree with that from what I've experienced, but it's hard to tell with these shit products.

I think the lung pain people talk about is 2 different things, I think that the natural thc-o lung absorbtion may be OK but possibly not OK - the contaminants are obviously never OK and the Binoid brand is fucked and should not be vaped due to whatever they cut it with

Last edited:
Are any brands of THC-O available online safe to smoke and how does THC-O compare with HHC? I have yet to try either one & only have experience with delta 9, delta 8 and cbd.

I got my d8 from 3chi.

Last edited:
Are any brands of THC-O available online safe to smoke
depends on what you mean by safe

there are reports of impurities which are potentially not safe... I have bought some THC-O that made my lungs irritated and hurt (more than just a cannabinoid lung burn)

however, I'm fairly sure it's safe to eat. I started eating most of my THC-O, and it gets you quite high. But there are a lot of brands with bunk or sketchy stuff out there especially THC-O that you want to avoid.

3chi is a great brand I'm vaping one of their carts right now :), I haven't tried their THC-O yet, but I would bet it's just fine.

All of the THC-O out there is heavily, heavily diluted. It's a very potent compound. I've bought carts that said 780mg of THC-O or some shit... in reality, it had more like 20-30mg. They lie.

Hey guys, does the whole "you shouldnt smoke it" apply to regular delta 8 too? when my dad hits delta 8, he coughs ALOT, but he is taking big hits, I've been smoking delta 8 for months now, am I doing damage to my lungs?
Delta 8 is pretty tame. Get unflavored distillate for cheap, buy blue dream terps (real cannibinoids). Buy a smok rpm 40 and a set of 1.2ohm quartz rpm coils. Mix terps with distillate in a 30ml beaker and submerge coil in it, throw this in the oven at 215 F for 15minutes. Take coil out, insert into pod, wipe down, fill pod with the terp and distillate solution and bam, better than any fuckin sativa cart out there. Delta 8 doesn't do any more damage than thc 9 . Both are thc molecules. If you smoke over 6 times a day with any substance you risk lung issues. Vape instead!

depends on what you mean by safe

there are reports of impurities which are potentially not safe... I have bought some THC-O that made my lungs irritated and hurt (more than just a cannabinoid lung burn)

however, I'm fairly sure it's safe to eat. I started eating most of my THC-O, and it gets you quite high. But there are a lot of brands with bunk or sketchy stuff out there especially THC-O that you want to avoid.

3chi is a great brand I'm vaping one of their carts right now :), I haven't tried their THC-O yet, but I would bet it's just fine.

All of the THC-O out there is heavily, heavily diluted. It's a very potent compound. I've bought carts that said 780mg of THC-O or some shit... in reality, it had more like 20-30mg. They lie.
Is this super thc plant derived, like can I get distillate?

yes it comes as distillate

it's semi synthetic, it's not found in cannabis but is derived from it
@polarthedog so this would be cool, but there's one fundamental issue here. Acetic anhydride causes necrosis to tissues like your lungs, and adding that is the final step in making thc-o from Delta 8. Maybe the bonding process saves this from happening but it's hard to trust. Read more here:https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/acetic-anhydride

@polarthedog so this would be cool, but there's one fundamental issue here. Acetic anhydride causes necrosis to tissues like your lungs, and adding that is the final step in making thc-o from Delta 8. Maybe the bonding process saves this from happening but it's hard to trust. Read more here:https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/medicine-and-dentistry/acetic-anhydride
It's a bit of a mystery as to how it's made. I doubt they are using schedule 1 acetic anhydride. Yet, whatever they do use likely is just as dangerous.

Personally I stopped vaping THC P because the current products give odd lung irritation and pain which I found concerning. I do not know if it's impurities, cutting agent or the drug itself. Oral dosing seemed fine.

I prefer THCO.

It's a bit of a mystery as to how it's made. I doubt they are using schedule 1 acetic anhydride. Yet, whatever they do use likely is just as dangerous.

Personally I stopped vaping THC P because the current products give odd lung irritation and pain which I found concerning. I do not know if it's impurities, cutting agent or the drug itself. Oral dosing seemed fine.

I prefer THCO.
You can certainly speculate, lots on research gate about substituting acetic anhydride. Like in order for cyclization of 4 nitro phthalic acid you start with phthalic anhydride treating it with sulfuric acid & nitric acid, all legal(https://www.researchgate.net/post/W...ride_for_cyclization_of_4_nitro_phthalic_acid). Cyclization is part of the synthesis because thc-o is structurally isomerized by an added ring to Delta 8, which itself is formed by hemp extraction(also structural isomers). I'd like to compare structures (thc-o vs delta8), there is probably another ring, and if so these substitutes could have been used. Delta 8 definitely has formed a ring on the basis of CBD: (CBD structure shown https://www.pinclipart.com/pindetai...structure-of-the-cannabinoid-cannabidiol-cbd/) (delta-8, structure shown https://sespe.org/what-is-delta-8/ ). So thc-o could undergo recyclization, but again please send thc-o's (and thc-p) structure this way for us to analyze! The below article demonstrates the role [re]cyclization has in derivation of substances. (https://www.researchgate.net/public...tion_Reaction_of_2-Carboxyaryldifurylmethanes)

Ps. is it safe to use my institutions journal access for these types of articles. I wonder. I've done it for less sketchy stuff but I want to know deeply about this shit

Just got one of these thc-o vapes yesterday that contains 2g of the juice. I am reading the spec sheet (top one - blueberry kush) and if I read it rightly looks to be ~68% delta-8 & delta-9. Am I reading this correctly? That it is roughly 1,390mg thc-o in the 2g reservoir?
A little confused about this stuff but like the effects. Gotta say that it is some strong shit and I kinda like it.

Just got one of these thc-o vapes yesterday that contains 2g of the juice. I am reading the spec sheet (top one - blueberry kush) and if I read it rightly looks to be ~68% delta-8 & delta-9. Am I reading this correctly? That it is roughly 1,390mg thc-o in the 2g reservoir?
A little confused about this stuff but like the effects. Gotta say that it is some strong shit and I kinda like it.
From my experience the labels lie

I had one that said 78% THCO, it was more like 5%

It's very potent stuff, more so than THC, people would freak out if they were that pure

I am sure they lie as it is common business practice, ime (for everything lol ).
Reading the possible heath risks is a little concerning... lot's to read up on and am torn deciding if it is worth sifting through all the confusion, saying whatever (and use anyway) or just toss it.
I suppose eating it may be a safer way to ingest (if it is harmful to vape) but then again there is no evidence of this either.