• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Substitute herbs to mix with Cannabis? (merged)

Yea dude, people have. Check out Erowid's trip reports section I know there are at least a few.

Thought you guys might want this over at CD. :) Feel free to move back if you want.

Is there any point to it? Cannabis isn't really a seratonergic drug in any direct way... I'd guess that you'd feel the MAOI but it wouldn't really mix with the cannabis high. Sounds kind of silly.

IndoleDreamStudies said:
Cannabis isn't really a seratonergic drug in any direct way...

yes it is, there's plenty of web literature addressing the effects of cannabis on 5-ht2 receptors

i've never heard of this syrian rue though, now i'm intrigued... explain?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrian_rue

It's a plant which contains a variety of active compounds, mainly harmaline. Harmaline inhibits monoamine oxidase, an enzyme responsible for the breakdown of certain neurotransmitters (and other primary amines) in the synapse (and other places), principally dopamine, noradrenaline, adrenaline, melatonin and seratonin. Monoamine oxidase cause in a buildup of these compounds in the synapse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MAOI

MAOIs can be very dangerous in combination with drugs that release neurotransmitters and extreme caution (or preferably abstinence) must be used when mixing them with any drug with these effects. Example, using an MDMA while on an MAOI can result in the potentially fatal seratonin syndrome.

A traditional use of MAOIs is in the ayahuasca brew. Syrian rue is cround and mixed with DMT containing plants. The DMT is normally inactive orally since it is quickly metabolised by MAOI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ayahuasca

Last edited:
I've heard theres a herb that can actually be soothing to your lungs when smoked but I've since forgotten the name, anyone care to remind me?

^^Mullein?

Soothes the lungs and is a bit lemony smoked

you could use salvia, make the trip more interesting. Just try and remember that your smoking a joint so you dont burn yourself.

Whalephat said:
1,200 people die a day from smoking ciggs. How many from weed? 0

What?? That statement sets off my bullshit alarm!

Sure, nobody dies of THC overdose, but I'm sure that nobody really dies of nicotine overdose either.

I'm 99% sure that the 1200-per-day statistic includes diseases such as lung cancer caused by damaged lungs from prolonged exposure to cigarette smoke, over many years. And I'm sure that many people die of lung cancer because of excessive exposure to the tars in cannabis smoke...

Am I wrong on this?

Yea dude, people have. Check out Erowid's trip reports section I know there are at least a few.
Do you mean Erowid on here, or the site? Either way I am having no luck. Link please?

The Erowid site classifies Cannabis as a depressent . . . wtf? I've hardly stopped smiling since I first tried it . . .

Do you mean Erowid on here, or the site? Either way I am having no luck. Link please?

The Erowid site classifies Cannabis as a depressent . . . wtf? I've hardly stopped smiling since I first tried it . . .

You're addressing a post that's 12 years old :)

Also, just for your information, a depressant drugs slows (depresses) the central nervous system - it doesn't mean it makes you depressed!

Cured opium poppy leaves mixed with fresh indica bud is an awesome high ...( California poppies do not work)

That's interesting. I didn't know the poppy leaves had alkaloids. You said cured. Cured like tobacco?

as far as the OP (I realize this thread is many years old) ive never understood why cutting your cannabis with tobacco is desired in parts of the world? granted in the US, its not a a popular thing. I much prefer the taste of cannabis by itself. Tobacco just ruins it to me lol. Even when i smoked tobacco, I would still smoke them separately.

So does the addition of tobacco create a different high? Due to the nicotine, is this perhaps why people are seen to be "addicted" to smoking cannabis?

So does the addition of tobacco create a different high? Due to the nicotine, is this perhaps why people are seen to be "addicted" to smoking cannabis?

In a brand new smoker? For sure. Cigaretttes'll get you light-headed and dizzy, provide a quick energy burst and suppress your appetite. Smoke a cigarette after a joint and you're for sure boosting your high.

For a decades-old smoker? Not a chance. At best, the post-session cigarette makes us feel normal. We're satisfying an addiction and feeling relieved that we're back at baseline. Also, after some time it just becomes a reflex to pull out a cigarette the second the J goes out.

As far as this thread goes, I've started to really enjoy mixing lightly-vaped AVB with fresh flower for my joints. Been rollin' fuckin' cannons ever since I started saving my AVB. If you get the ratio right then the taste is downright pleasant, the J's burn evenly, hit smoother, last longer, and they look like miniature baseball bats, so that's pretty cool.

Don't ever smoke a pure AVB joint, though. You'll get a buzz, but fuuuuccccckkkk it'll just make you wanna gag.