• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Suboxone Ruins Opiate Receptors?

For me personally I feel that the suboxone hasn't changed/damaged my opiate receptors at all in the aspects of enjoying another opiate. I've been on suboxone for almost 6 yrs now & can still catch a great rush & nod from from a few bags of good H in less than 24 hrs from my last sub dose. I will agree that it has raised my tolerance but I always knew that would happen cause of the potency of bupe compared to other opiates of abuse & the fact that I would be on a maintenence dose. I think a lot of people get on subs severely misinformed about them & don't realize how potent bupe really is. Personally I had a decent idea of what I was getting into with them & started at 8mg, quickly tapered down, & have been on 2 to 3mg a day for most of my treatment with it. I guess it could be possible to do some type of damage to the receptors taking the ultra high doses (anything above 8mg IMHO) some sub docs prescribe, especially if taken for a long period. But IME suboxone has pretty much been like taking any other opiate. Keeps the WDs at bay, I used to get high as hell off it in the beginning (yes I know it is a PA & understand the difference between PA & FA opiates), & now that I've been at a stabilized daily dosage for a long time does nothing euphoria wise. Pretty common sense to me as I would expect any other opiate to perform similarly under the same curcumstances.

how long can people keep getting high off bupe from ? Do you find if you try to keep your doses as low as poss, say less then 2 mg then you can keep delivering a nice mood and energy lift for quite some time ?

The first few times I took bupe I got high. The very first time I got REALLY high. After that, I've tried everything to "maximize" my dose. Nothing worked other that getting off subs for a few days. Even when I tried to take less than 2mg for several days, still nothing. I think that's the whole point though.:\

In regards to the OP, suboxone has def ruined my opiate receptors. I needed to go on pain meds after being clean from bupe for awhile and I have to take 50mcg/hr fent just to get even a little bit of analgesia. In between the bupe and the fent, when I was clean for awhile, I did a few bags of H and I was unpleasantly surprised that my tolerance was still pretty damn high.

I have been on 10 mg daily of suboxone in strips sublingual for two and 1 half years so far. I still get that opiate shiver of pleasure/euphoria running through my body every dose (of suboxone).

Remember, to feel opiates they must fill your receptors.

If 'tolerance' develops this is your brain building MORE receptors. More receptors require more opiates to fill them up. Suboxone is incredibly potent opiate and probably causes extreme growth/multiplication of receptors. Thus suboxone does not damage your recptors or brain but sends you tolerance INCREDIBLY HIGH.

I reckon that after you come off suboxone (if thats what you plan to do) you should take a several months course of naloxone to reduce your number of receptors.

Tha make sense to me, and it explain the PAWNS many people refers to. Like, as they have a lot of new receptors, their natural endorfins cant fully occupy them, so there comes the depression , the lack of energy, the PAWNS

Im trying not to take subuxone anymore unless a fast tapper of it, when wanting to leave any oppie without cold turkey WD

Taking naltrexone, some weeks after high sub doses, makes sense to me, to achieve the goal of "having less receptors", but imo naltrexone is hard too, as you cant experience even your own endorphines. So, after some sub months, if your theory is correct ( which i think so), then the 2 paths avaible are( imo):

path 1: Live your life with so many receptors than you had in the past. Natural endorphines wont do so much, and if you want to dope it will be crazily expensive

path 2: taking naltrexone, feeling like a shxt for weeks, and after this, the xtra receptors dissapearing, you will be where you were before the sub. How many time to take the naltrexone? i dont know

edit: typo

Last edited:
absolutely uneducated answer
please read receptor saturation and amount of medication to saturate the opiate receptors
people need help not uneducated , non medical advice that is wrong!

been on subs for about 4 months now. my first week i took 16mg a day. from then on i would take my 8mg once every three-four days. once in a while, after my third day not dosing, i took 35mg of hydrocodone once and 50mg of hydro once on separate occasions. the first time 35mg surpisingly got me high. feeling like a medium dose of kratom. no nod but talkative and excited and happy :)

i then upped to 50mg of hydro after waiting 3 days after a sub dose. I didnt quite catch a nod but it was the same as 35mg but a lot stronger.

My point of the story is that before taking sub 50mg hydro would have me catch a SLIGHT nod. now after the sub its ALMOST the same. my tolerance just went up. no receptors damaged. nothing out of the ordinary. exactly the tolerance boost i would expect from a 4 month addiction. actually its not even as bad as i expected. i thought id need like 50mg hydro just to feel ANYTHING.

then again ive been on subs for only 4 months now so it hasnt been that long at all really.

I only had a chance to try suboxone for 9 days. Started at 8mg but tapered within the first week to 6mg.
There was never a noticeable high except the beauty of being free and the lack of all the body pain that would usually start each afternoon.
Also, the best sleeps in recent memory...in fact, climbing into bed was close to euphoric.

As for the naloxone's effect...on the 9th and final day, I took only 2mg of suboxone.
Within 12 hours I was back on my regular amount of heroin and it was like I we had not been apart.
Exact same high. Granted, 9 days may not be long enough for things to take full effect.

I should also mention that on my first dosage of suboxone (8mg), I did not wait anywhere near the recommended time period after my last dose of heroin.
At most it was 14-15 hours and there was absolutely no induced withdrawl.
I am sure of this because of the horror story warnings about taking the subs too early.
I was sitting and waiting for the nightmare to start, thinking I had done myself in too early.
Perhaps I got lucky, perhaps different effects on different people.

I should add that this was my experience and I suspect that I got lucky.
From what I have read from reliable sources, the induced withdrawl is worse than going through the normal thing.
Apparently, it hits all at once and is truly horrible.

Also, if you do take heroin while on or soon after stopping suboxone be careful.
The same sources warn that although you may not feel the effects of the heroin it does not mean your body is not under the influence.
It would be a bad idea to go anywhere near your previous dosage as your body will still be processing the heroin and the likelyhood of an OD would increase.

I should add that this was my experience and I suspect that I got lucky.
From what I have read from reliable sources, the induced withdrawl is worse than going through the normal thing.
Apparently, it hits all at once and is truly horrible.

Yes precipitated withdrawals are much worse than normal withdrawals. You want to avoid that shit at all costs. Brutal.

I had to sign up specifically to post my experience on this. I was taking subs for 19 months at 4mg a day for about half that and 2mg for the other half, so not too high of a dose. After I got off the subs I really didn't notice a quickly built tolerance. but what lead me to this thread is that I would feel no euphoria or high any longer! I been off subs for 5 months so I know that is not too long of a time, but any time I do any type of opiates I do not get euphoric. It kind of makes me sad and this sucks. But I guess in the long run it is a good thing because if it doesn't get me high I do not have as much cravings. Even when I am in withdrawal I am not "craving" I just want the pain to go away but not technically craving for the drug like before.

Hello. I have been a active user of suboxine for 2 years. It has changed my life in so many great ways! Anywho I got pregnant and stayed on the medication. Everything is fine.!however I went into labor early and basically felt every single pain there was associated with child birth due to sub being in my system. Anyways I stopped taking my sub the day I had the baby and the dr put me on 5mg Percocet they didn't work for days and days then finally I started to feel a little realif however I was still waking up in nigh sweats, feeling withdrawal..... When is a safe time to take my sub again? My dr says 12 hours after last dosage... I was on 5 mg percs every 5 hours for about 6 days...any help would be appreciated ... I have a new baby at home and the last thing i need is to go into precipitated withdrawal... Keep in mind I haven't used a opiate in years only used them the past 6 days to help with recovery from my c section..( which did not help or realive any pain btw, even agree being off subs for over 50 hours seems like no pain meds would works) I'm new here and not even sure where to post this question so any help I would very much appreciate..
I'm so scared to take it and then get sick
Thanks so much!

So pretty much I've been using over a bun a day for the past... Shit.. 8 months. I don't shoot, just sniff. But I dexoted all day yesterday and took my sub when the time was right. I took a sub today around 11, probably noteven 2mg. I'm a 110 lb female... How long should I wait to use heroin?