• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Suboxone Ruins Opiate Receptors?

hmm. maybe we all just chasing that old high. the one that probably will NEVER come back. i was on methadone almost 3 years, switched to suboxone w/ H over a five day period. i was on 70 mg, i felt the dope somewhat in those few days, but never got "high". the 'done was still in my system though when i switched on day five b/c i went through about 3 days of PW. so, they say you can switch at 40 mg, why did i still PW after 5 days? it definitely does build up w/ half lives and all.

as far a suboxone though. i have stayed on a very very low dose other than the first week or two. since being under 2 mg i feel like i have been able to feel a shot of dope. only a .10 too. i wanted to put a day in between me and suboxone a few days ago when i was at .5 mg and i could feel it. but perhaps some of you came off of suboxone WITH OTHER OPIATES and maintained a bit of a tolerance in that way? i think when i do decide to get high (it will be a long time i am moving to the middle of nowhere to jump off) my receptors will be just fine ;) PS down to .125!!!! =D

i used to take up to 48mg of suboxon a day on a basis...needless to say it was a big mistake and i deffinitly dont feel my opiates like i used to. i try not to touch the stuff anymore

Can you further this? Was it scripted as I believe32-36mg is just money down the drain. When you say "NOT LIKE I USED TO" how long ago since bupe? a month or

The more and longer you take sub the worse you will feel. You will feel unmotivated. depressed, bored and feel un-interested in just about anything. Thats what happens when you feel over-medicated or take long half life acting meds such as suboxone or subutex. Then there is the mission of comong of it. Staying on it is just as bad as withdrawing from it. Many have lostr their homes, their cars, their girlfriends or boyfriends, their family even because of suboxone/subutex. Its worse then dope, more and more people are realizing this everyday once they have been on the sub for 6 months and over.

Proof ?

Next time add IMO...

i used to take up to 48mg of suboxon a day on a basis...needless to say it was a big mistake and i deffinitly dont feel my opiates like i used to. i try not to touch the stuff anymore

Christ man, thats an insane ammount. ESPECIALLY to take it on an ongoing basis at that dose thats crazy!

Speaking for myself, I've been on doses between 2 - 28mg across the last 11 months and it hasn't changed how I experience opiates at all, except for a small increase in tolerance. As long as I taper down to make sure I don't have any bupe left in my system when I dose, I get just as high as I ever have.

...and dont you think the tolerance would have happened either way ?
Sure it would...

I have been on 10 mg daily of suboxone in strips sublingual for two and 1 half years so far. I still get that opiate shiver of pleasure/euphoria running through my body every dose (of suboxone).

Remember, to feel opiates they must fill your receptors.

If 'tolerance' develops this is your brain building MORE receptors. More receptors require more opiates to fill them up. Suboxone is incredibly potent opiate and probably causes extreme growth/multiplication of receptors. Thus suboxone does not damage your recptors or brain but sends you tolerance INCREDIBLY HIGH.

I reckon that after you come off suboxone (if thats what you plan to do) you should take a several months course of naloxone to reduce your number of receptors.

This would only be true, I feel, if the opioid you switched from was hydrocodone or a tiny dose of oxy or heroin. Bupe is a potent opioid, so yes, if your tolerance per dose is less than the maximum agonizing effects of bupe (remember ceiling effect) than you will initially feel euphoria from the suboxone, and with continual dosing, raise your tolerance (and in doing so, lose that euphoria quickly, because everyone knows that taking more bupe past 2-8 mg will not get you higher.)

So yes, in the begining if your tolerance is low enough you will raise it when on buprenorphine. But after a few days youre not going to continue to grow more receptors. PAWS is not the fault of buprenorphine, you had created most of those additional receptors while abusing opiates (if not, than you probably should not be on suboxone for maintenance). In a lot of cases, bupe will just agonize these receptors enough to ward off withdrawals.

Ive been on sub 16mg a day (IV) since october 2011 and i have DEFINANTLY noticed a change in the quality of my high when i use heroin. I normally wait only a few days in between my last sub dose and my first H dose (about 48hrs or so) and i still dont feel too much out of it. i know that im not waiting enough to get all the sub outta my system but there has been one time when i had waited 5 days and did a shot of dope and didnt really get that high. My high definantly is lacking nowadays. Shortened duration and hardly any rush, no matter how long i wait or how sick i am. I was just thinking thre other day that maybe i have damaged my receptors with the sub. Im wondering if there is a way to repair the receptors or speed up their recovery after getting off sub? I should be getting off soon, im making stupid deals with my doc to let him keep me on it, just delaying the inevitable..

Ive been on sub 16mg a day (IV) since october 2011 and i have DEFINANTLY noticed a change in the quality of my high when i use heroin. I normally wait only a few days in between my last sub dose and my first H dose (about 48hrs or so) and i still dont feel too much out of it. i know that im not waiting enough to get all the sub outta my system but there has been one time when i had waited 5 days and did a shot of dope and didnt really get that high. My high definantly is lacking nowadays. Shortened duration and hardly any rush, no matter how long i wait or how sick i am. I was just thinking thre other day that maybe i have damaged my receptors with the sub. Im wondering if there is a way to repair the receptors or speed up their recovery after getting off sub? I should be getting off soon, im making stupid deals with my doc to let him keep me on it, just delaying the inevitable..

Not to be nosey but what kind of deals id like to hear more

Well, the first thing that I noticed is that you said you've been taking 16mg of buprenorphine/day IV. no wonder you're not feeling the heroin. 16mg sublingual alone is a pretty high dose, but injecting that much suboxne/subutex is ludicrous, I can't even see any advantage to shooting so much. Are you aware that sublingual absorption is only 30%? That means that when you shoot your sublingual dose, you're recieving 70% more buprenorphine than normal. Doing this daily is going to lead to an insane build up of bupe in your blood due to its long half life, so regardless of whether bupe has fried out your opiate receptors, you wouldn't be able to get a buzz off of dope anyway unless you stopped taking bupe altogether and didn't even attempt to get high for a really long time. Otherwise, you can (and should, regardless of what your motives are), begin to taper your dose down. If your using buprenorphine intravenously, you're going to get the best effects off of lower dosages (which also conveniently do not block strong full agonists), so I would recomend that you taper down. When you get to the point where you shooting one milligram or less a day (and you've stabalized at this dose for at least two weeks), then you have a shot at using heroin with success, but at this point your just wasting needles, heroin, buprenorphine and money.

My doc has been tryin to taper me down but i know im gonna fuck up if i get off the sub cuz ive still been tryin to use dope every now and then and im still on the needle, ect.. so im really scared about getting off the sub. im afraid my lifes gonna go right back to where it used to be (shitty). so ive made a couple deals with him to keep me on it, i had to cut back on smoking (a pack a day down to half a pack or less), i have to stop smoking all together on October 21st, i cant drink energy drinks, and i had to switch my kolonopin to buspirone (sp?). And i had a question for ZNegative, there has been times when ive only done 8mg or less in a day and it hasnt felt much different, if i worked my way to 4-8mg could i possibly get high you think?

i had a question for ZNegative, there has been times when ive only done 8mg or less in a day and it hasnt felt much different, if i worked my way to 4-8mg could i possibly get high you think?

Hey man, the reasons that you didn't feel different the few times that you only injected 8mg or less over the course of a day is because your body is used to recieving 16mg/day, so until you taper and stabalize at a given dose (which takes approximately 11 days, though you adjust almost 100% by day 4) you will feel either no difference, or you will feel slightly worse as you're taking a lower dose than you are accustomed to.

Luckily, suboxone/subutex is a fairly easy opioid to taper due to the fact that it is a partial agonist with a ceiling effect. Since Bupe's agonist effects plateau at a certain dosage (probably somewhere between 4 and 8mg when taken sublingually, but more like 2-4mg IV), maintaining at a dose above that celing is only keeping your body from going into withdrawals. So essentially, if the ceiling dose is 6mg, you should be able to jump from 16mg down to 8mg with little to no discomfort as neither dosage is stimulating your opiate receptors more or less.

Now, assuming that the ceiling is at 6mg, you could then still jump from 8 to 6 with little effort as well. However, for a few days you will probably feel some minor withdrawal symptoms right before you administer your bupe, as you are right on the cusp of the plateau. It's at this dose (remember, this is speaking hypothetically as 6mg isn't necessairily the cieling, especially if you IV, I'm talking about the ceiling dose in general), that you will start to experience a slight mood lift from the suboxone, as the amount of buprenorphine in your system is actually at times dropping below the ceiling, so when you dose, there is more of a "spike".

Once you've stabalized well below the ceiling dosage, your suboxone will begin to feel a lot more like a full agonist. I don't want to lead you on to believing that it's going to feel like shooting heroin, but you will definately experience a pronounced mood lift and increase in energy and motivation. There is also a theory that at these low dosages where buprenorphine is no longer occupying all of the receptors, that it's full agonist metabolite, norbuprenorphine can attach to the empty receptors, explaining possibly why low dosages feel more euphoric than others (though another explanation could be that your brain is just not saturated with bupe any more, so each time you dose, the effects are more dramatic... Kind of like how the first shot of heroin in the morning is always the best as you've let a significant ammount of time pass since your last shot during sleep...)

Now, unfortunately, it's been my experience that you really will not begin to feel these positive effects until you are shooting a milligram or less a day. If your shooting two mg, you might feel something, but that's still way too much. If you're going to continue using bupe intravenously, I recomend you start cutting the strength of your shots in half. If you're shooting 4mg 4x/day, lower it to shooting 2mg 2x/day, and keep going until youve tapered each shot down to .5mg. At this point, you can start messing around with how you cut back. When I shot subs, I liked my morning Fix to be large, so perhaps your first sot should be .5mg, and then cut the other two shots for the afternoon and evening down to .25mg, and then another .5mg before bed. You'll be amazed at this point by how little bupe it actually takes to ward off withdrawals, and when you stabalize at a point where your dosing .25mg or less you will really get a lot more out of it in terms of energy, and euphoria. In the end though, bupe is a partial agonist, and the only way you will ever be able to get a high out of it comparable to heroin or oxycodone is if you straight up take a break for about three days and then dose.

I would, in conclusion, also recomend that you try rectal administration instead. IME, plugging buprenorphine and shooting buprenorphine feel exactly the same in terms of onset and "rush". The advantage with plugging though, is that the duration is much longer, which makes dosing only once or twice a day possible which is nice. I grew tired with IV bupe mainly because it started to feel no different than heroin in that I still had to fix at least three times a day, and it just wasn't rewarding enough when you can get the same euphoria through a ROA that doesn't involve sticking yourself with pins.

Buprenorphine maintenance is a good method to get off opioids(full agonists), but buprenorphine has a higher radioactivity than most all agonists and partial agonists, with exception to oxymorphozone(permanently binds to receptors). It may feel like Buprenorphine could be damaging your dopamine sites, but picture an Emergency exit. The exit has the best barricade you could possibly put up infront of it. You have to get out of the building, but the exit is blocked. It will take a long time to get the barricade down, before you can exit. Now take that analogy, and turn it into neuro terms. The exit is your sensory, the barrier preventing access is buprenorphine, and "you" are a potential opioid OR a typical bodily produced endorphine.

It does suck being on it for a long time. Doctors do more good getting patients hooked on the drug, which at first seems better than the agonists you were doing before, but I have been on buprenorphine alone for nearly 4years, inconsistent with keeping a real doctor.

I feel like a piece of myself has been blocked out over the years.

And PS...benzos will not help with aiding you getting off of drugs, yet instead, you'll be getting 'off' on dope.

I hopehave this helped.

Last edited:
if you take the dose they prescribed to you 8-16mg a day or whatever, than ya it its ganna make your tolerance sky-rocket which is your recptors being damaged.
totally disagree with you. having a high tolerance does not equate to damaging your opiate receptors...it's just not the same thing.

Thanks Zneg. Im definantly gonna have to try to taper. The thought of doing it is terrifying but it sounds like its worth it. I personally am under the impression that the bupe is just not saturating the recpetors fully. I think i read somewhere (not sure which site) that there isnt enough norbuprenorphine produced to do much in terms of euphoria. But the thought of being able to feel something off my subs again is very uplifting. and so is the thought of being able to feel dope again. Well im gonna start trying to taper tomorrow i guess. Ill post back after the taper and have tried dope again, hopefully i will be able to feel it, or at least the subs.

Thanks Zneg. Im definantly gonna have to try to taper. The thought of doing it is terrifying but it sounds like its worth it. I personally am under the impression that the bupe is just not saturating the recpetors fully. I think i read somewhere (not sure which site) that there isnt enough norbuprenorphine produced to do much in terms of euphoria. But the thought of being able to feel something off my subs again is very uplifting. and so is the thought of being able to feel dope again. Well im gonna start trying to taper tomorrow i guess. Ill post back after the taper and have tried dope again, hopefully i will be able to feel it, or at least the subs.

if you taper down to like 2mg sublingual a day then I can almost guarantee you that you will feel the dope. However I would bet that your tolerance is permanently fucked.

how long can people keep getting high off bupe from ? Do you find if you try to keep your doses as low as poss, say less then 2 mg then you can keep delivering a nice mood and energy lift for quite some time ?