• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Help! Should my 17 year old daughter trip?

FredF

Bluelighter
Hi folks. Looking for some opinions here.

A little context-
I am a full time single dad, basically raised my daughter alone from the get-go, but have fully raised her alone from about the age of 8-9.

So, her mom not being stable enough for my daughter to even want to be around her and ask to be in my sole custody on her own and not having her mom around, combined with whatever bullshit negative influence I’ve had on her (plenty, believe me) combined with the regular stresses of being a teenager in 2022 has taken its toll.

Over the past 3 years, she’s been hospitalized for self harm, or worse. She don’t want to live alot of the time. School hasn’t happened in about 3 years either.

She’s on Prozac and Quetiapine, and admittedly, things are not as dire today as they were a year ago. But as you know, she’s desensitized to her emotions through the pharmaceuticals, those issues are all still there, plus, aside from not being a danger to herself, and not being so gloomy all day, every day, there isn’t really much improvement in advancing with life itself. School etc. Shes very far behind, she has no self confidence or belief in the incredible gifts she does indeed possess.

I mean, the first time I experienced psychedelics all those years ago, I said - everyone has to feel this, at least once in their lives.

My kid is 17 now, and I look at and use the psychs much differently now than I did when I myself was a kid.

Im contemplating macro dosing her. I know micro dosing is an approach…

Right now, sober, I’m critical of myself and there’s a feeling of what kind of father contemplates dosing his kid. But when I’m tripping, I’m so convinced that if the trip goes right, she could so benefit from a guided trip. I want to wake her up when I’m tripping. Show her without any shame everything that her dad is, and isn’t. Articulate to her how special she is. And I think she’d start buying in. I think about her a lot when I trip. Well, I always do, but you know what I mean.

Any thoughts or if anyone has experience with this would share it with me, it would be greatly appreciated.

Am a bad dad? Just a harmless hippy?

First get her to quit the prozac and quetiapine.

If you don't depending what you give her can lead to serotonin syndrome.
Also set and setting, trips can accentuate what actually is going through her head and lead to a not so good trip.

I'd fix that first with ketamine or any of its analogs for a while.
imo and ymmv

Yes, indeed. We’re a long ways out here. If she were to trip, the pharmaceuticals would be out of her system.

Would also spend plenty of time on prep and education. So she knows exactly what we’re trying to accomplish here. Set and setting, it would be with me, in the comfort of out home. I’d try to have her understand that her feeling ready, with little apprehension is key, and possibly, it may not be her time yet after all.

If you mean without her knowledge then no - don't fucking do that under any circumstances

edit - i see that;s not your intention now, good

the whole idea is laden with pifalls even so
Haha, no. Please refer to post #3 of the thread.

@ageingpartyfiend

I’m interested in certain pitfalls you feel could occur. This is the feedback I’m looking for.

I fully acknowledge she’s on the young side.

The thing is, in this very particular instance, I feel I could get her to understand and buy into the fact that she doesn’t have to carry around the negative garbage her mother or I instilled in her. That’s it’s not natural, but foreign to her own being. That we put that in her, and like Jim Morrison suggested, she could kill it and become her own self. I’m ready for her to fly independently. You know, perhaps not when she’s 17, but I think tripping with her would be one of the most magical experiences I could have. Not sure how she’s feel about it.

On the one hand, at 17, she could very well be taking any substance she so pleases, and I’d be none the wiser.

On the other hand, is any worse than the pharmaceuticals I stuff down her throat?

Edited:

If you two are on the same page and she knows she has a long way to go with it... I think it's not a good idea. Maybe not until she's older or at all.

Quetiapine is for schizophrenia. So, presumably she has some mental health issues that could be seriously exacerbated by a psychedelic. If she was hospitalized for self harm, introducing her to psychedelics probably isn't a solid idea.

If you want to share the beauty of the psychedelic experience, talk to her about it and please let it be her choice. She's a minor. Bring it up in a year or three.

I'm going to lock this thread until it can be reviewed by other mods.

Last edited:
I don't think there is anything wrong with this thread so I am going to re-open it. The OP is not talking about slipping their daughter psychedelics without her knowledge, he is talking about the wisdom (or lack thereof) and ramifications of giving his daughter LSD to try to help with some emotional problems.

However I think it is not a good idea given her age, and that psychedelics have the potential to make things worse if it is not handled the right way. I think this is a possible candidate for professional psychedelic-assisted psychotherapy, but I would be scared, personally, of not knowing how to handle any crises that might come up during the trip.

Additionally, I would not suggest this idea to her at all. If she ever comes to you with the idea, that is one thing, but I think it probably needs to be her idea, or you risk having influenced her to try something that she may not be ready for. As another poster said, there are all sorts of potential pitfalls here. But I'm glad you're reaching out to ask about it, and I can totally understand you wanting to try to help your daughter. We all know that psychedelics can be amazing therapy tools, and the scientific community is beginning to agree again (as they did before demonization happened). But study after study shows that the best results happen when conducted by trained professionals in the right settings. It's one thing when someone is taking them to see what will happen, but when there are serious emotional problems that are the reason for a trip, extra care must be taken to make sure it goes well and doesn't become something traumatic.

I also changed the thread title somewhat because it sounds pretty sketchy when you read it as it used to be, and I think it would probably cause some people to react negatively without really considering your post.

I wouldn't bother for now, especially since the Quetiapine could completely block the effects due to its serotonin antagonism, if I'm not mistaken

There's better options out there

Given the history of mental illness (so severe that she required hospitalization) this sounds like a very bad idea.

Psychedelics cannot cure or even meaningfully reduce symptoms of psychiatric disorders for extended periods of time. In the case of your daughter, there is a much larger chance of it doing harm than any good.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

For clarification, if this ever happened, the meds would be out of her system. I understand the risks, but appreciate the heads up nonetheless.

And yes, a lot of this hinges on whether the trip would go well, and alot of that depends on whether she is, or isn’t ready. I don’t want anyone to think I’m not putting alot of thought and research into this. This the thread. To get experienced opinions.

Someone mentioned better options. I’m all ears, but we’ve been at this for 3 years, and the combo of meds she’s on now isn’t the first.

What I’m saying is, this isn’t the first thing I thought of to deal with her mental health issues. This is an option I’m considering, after many other options have not seen to hit the bill.

I feel there are some things that are difficult for her to grasp, that may come to light under the influence. Namely that all the negative influences that her mother and I piled onto her existence aren’t necessarily natural to her being, and she can kill off those unnatural influences and become her own self.

Again, if this were to happen, we are a long way out from it happening, this is just research, and do appreciate all input.

If it were to be anything I'd go with something like 1.5g of mushrooms. But again not sure it would help much.

I was in a similar situation where I thought some 4-AcO-DMT might somehow help my then-girlfriend. I figured we'd take it when we went camping, in a very peaceful setting. Needless to say she flipped the fuck out 🤷‍♂️

Quetiapine is for schizophrenia.
I respectfully disagree; I agree that it’s not for depression, but psychs have been handing it out like candy to teenagers for decades. They put me on Prozac plus quitiapine as a teen for major depression, which was really just circumstantial depression but misdiagnosed... and I most definitely didn’t have any serious mental health issues at the time, outside the minor depression. They said it was to “help me sleep” which... it didn’t. They sorta use it as a catch all addition to SSRIs these days when the SSRIs predictably don’t work.

It’s not great... psychiatry just keeps going ass backwards. I thought it was bad when I was a teen. I shudder to think what teens today go through.

To the OP: please don’t trip with your daughter. Maybe if she is in a better place mentally, and once she’s in her twenties it might be an okay idea. But I don’t think teenagers should be taking psychedelics at all. My first trip was at 19 and I felt that was on the cusp of being too young.

I respectfully disagree; I agree that it’s not for depression, but psychs have been handing it out like candy to teenagers for decades. They put me on Prozac plus quitiapine as a teen for major depression, which was really just circumstantial depression but misdiagnosed... and I most definitely didn’t have any serious mental health issues at the time, outside the minor depression. They said it was to “help me sleep” which... it didn’t. They sorta use it as a catch all addition to SSRIs these days when the SSRIs predictably don’t work.

It’s not great... psychiatry just keeps going ass backwards. I thought it was bad when I was a teen. I shudder to think what teens today go through.

To the OP: please don’t trip with your daughter. Maybe if she is in a better place mentally, and once she’s in her twenties it might be an okay idea. But I don’t think teenagers should be taking psychedelics at all. My first trip was at 19 and I felt that was on the cusp of being too young.
It is prescribed for that and bipolar. I don't know why his daughter is prescribed it, but that's the on label use for it. We really don't know her mental situation. I was assuming a worst case scenario.

First get her to quit the prozac and quetiapine.

If you don't depending what you give her can lead to serotonin syndrome.
Also set and setting, trips can accentuate what actually is going through her head and lead to a not so good trip.

I'd fix that first with ketamine or any of its analogs for a while.
imo and ymmv
I've never understood people claiming that tripping on an SSRI can cause serotonin syndrome.

I've tripped a whole bunch of times on SSRIs, SNRIs, and even tricyclics and did not notice a difference.

With the information provided self harm and other issues personally i would say a big no.It sounds very risky in my mindset.
Though intentions may be good from the heart to heal....ask yourself 1 question
What if this dosent go good and your daughter is much much worse off...can you live with that knowing you encouraged this avenue of healing ...maybe wait a while till she is older .All the best

It is prescribed for that and bipolar. I don't know why his daughter is prescribed it, but that's the on label use for it. We really don't know her mental situation. I was assuming a worst case scenario.
True, sorry I was just drawing on my memory and experience. When I saw that she was on both the same drugs they threw at me it brought up bad memories of shitty psychs who didn’t try to help me.

I wouldn't bother for now, especially since the Quetiapine could completely block the effects due to its serotonin antagonism, if I'm not mistaken
I can trip fine on it fyi (300mg), obviously not right after the last dose though. But psychedelics are definitely not meant to be taken when on quetiapine, you can feel that.

OT: I'd definitely wait until she's older.
Needless to say she flipped the fuck out 🤷‍♂️
Specifically because of this, so young and with pre-existing mental problems, it's a recipe for disaster.