• [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 177 66.8%

• Total voters
Roger&Me said:
You're missing the point of the story--the specific drug isn't what it's about. In fact, Aronofsky purposefully was very vague and nebulous about that fact because, well, it just plain doesn't matter.

it doesnt matter to whom? clearly they're shooting herion but aronofsky intentionally show's the users' pupils dialating, the exact opposite from what would happen in reality. this was a concious choice by the filmmaker. how could you say that it doesnt matter? i've heard that aronofsky is staunchly anti drug and personally inexperienced when it comes to them. maybe this was a way for him to subtly declare this fact.

you can tell when a movie about drugs is created by a drug users; requiem is very clearly made by an "outsider".

^^^I dunno....obviously, Requiem is a drug movie, but I never got the impression that it's about drugs being evil so much as it is about people being flawed...

I would never have questioned whether Aronofsky is a drug user or not, because the effect the drugs have in the film is so divorced from reality that I don't think we're meant to draw any conclusions about the drugs..

Question about Requiem For A Dream

First, I know theres tons of posts about this movie. I searched, and none of them answered my question.

I couldnt find RFAD at Best Buy when I went to buy it on DVD today. I went to Blockbuster and they didn't have the DVD but they had a "Edited Version" for VHS. I got it anyway...

Its a great movie, and still pretty shocking even though its edited. Anyone know what the differences in the edited version compared to the regular version are? It still showed quite a bit of graphic shit such as the saw starting to cut into the one guys arm as it shot a little bit of blood, the girls tits as they were going "ass to ass"... and plenty of curses.

I want to see the unedited version to see how much more shocking it is..

the only major difference between your RFAD edited tape and a full edition tape is the gore. for example, when the guy was getting his arm sawed off there would be about three more seconds total focusing on the blood and what not.

cocnercning the plot, nothing has changed.

AxL BLaZe said:
the only major difference between your RFAD edited tape and a full edition tape is the gore. for example, when the guy was getting his arm sawed off there would be about three more seconds total focusing on the blood and what not.

cocnercning the plot, nothing has changed.
Ok.. Im not worried that I missed much then.

The end when the guys laying in bed and his arms gone is so shocking. I knew it was coming because I was told his arm was amputated, but just seeing it was fucking crazy. 8o

I thought the ass to ass scene might be partially or completely excised.

On a different note, do you have the internet? Why would you settle for some shitty VHS edited version when you could buy the movie you actually want in the format you want cheaper?

posner said:
I thought the ass to ass scene might be partially or completely excised.

On a different note, do you have the internet? Why would you settle for some shitty VHS edited version when you could buy the movie you actually want in the format you want cheaper?
I thought about buying it but I wanted to see if I actually liked it.

Needless to say Im going to buy it.. lol

i just watched it and i didnt really like it.. i was just bored of watchin an addicted old lady half the time

If I could give this movie a negative star-rating I would. I really disliked it. Eight thumbs down.

The first time I saw it.. I liked it alot. I was totally shocked at the end.

I watched it again I didnt really like it.
I got tired of seeing the old lady and the damn fridge that was moving.. The commercial she kept watching was annoying as fuck.

If it was just about the 3 kids it would have rocked.

i thought the point of the movie was to show 2 sides of the amphetamine story...

correct me if im wrong...

lmao. people are stilll talking about this movie? ;)
I loved it when I first saw it and it definitely had an impact on me. Also did the second time I watched it (have the DVD). I cant bring myself to watch it again tho....everytime I hear the strains of that goddamn violin crescendo thats peppered all over the movie I cringe.

paul oakenfold remixed that song and i love it!

paul oakenfold - zoo york

^ haha cc, no matter how cliche RFAD seems to get, this thread will. not. die. ;)

I voted, 3 stars. When I started this thread (3+ years ago) I would have given it 4.. I love seeing myself change. :)

Brainrape said:
Originally posted by Furnace:
^
read the book, then re-read your statement.

Um, I think you're a bit confused...
Why the fuck should I read the book? We aren't talking about the book, we are discussing the film. The book and the film are two entirely different things...
While one may be inspired by the other, the medium in which they are presented clearly makes for drastic differences between the two. After all, you can't fit a whole books worth of information in 2 hours...
When you are discussing a film, alluding to the book version is absolutley useless as the filmmaker takes artistic license with the work and thus creates his own vision...
Perhaps you need an example, so a good one would be The Shining. A wonderful movie by Stanley Kubrick that is drastically different than the shitty novel by Steven King that inspired it...

ack, no. Darren Aronofsky and Hubert Selby Jr [author of the book] wrote the screenplay together, to put everything in the book, the meaning, and just.. everything, onto the screen. What you get from the book should be the same from the movie, but there are some things that even darren aronofsky just can't put out visually.
so.. really, read the book.

Over all this is my favorite movie.
I watch it a few times each week,
and I can bawl my head off each time I watch it.
Not just at the rise and fall of each character, but mainly cause I was there, not to that extreme [whoring myself, in a mental institution, et cetera],
but if I continued my speed addiction,
I'd be there.
Plus it was visually astonishing!!
I love the way he films.
It was a timeless film. :]
the acting was FUCKING AMAZING!
the makeup, and the effects were grand! :D
nothing has ever been filmed like this
and it's hard to compete with.
I <3 this.

Dont your eyes constirct with H, Not expand like they do in the movie??? I think that was just for effect

The movie wasn't about their addiction to H.
He didn't want the movie to be about drugs anyways.
it was about overall addiciton.
The 3 characters were addicted to H, yes.
though,
he didn't want the film to be about H.

and i though Injecting speed constricts your eyes, not h? o_O

I'm not a fan of this movie. Its an all too bleak an final look at the human condition. There isn't an ounce of hope or redemption for any of the characters in the movie - the film universalises basic human weaknesses graphically shows us the downward spiral of all the characters, whether they be black/white, male/female, young/old. This is absolutely fine it demonstrates that anyone can be ravaged by addiction, however it fails to show that people have the mettle to battle their demons - in addition the direction is sorely lacking in innovation he uses the same techniques he employed in pi to demonstrate circular thinking and it does wear a little thin when the same type of editing and camerawork is used to illustrate different addictions.
The works as an expose of addictions capacity to destroy, however its sorely lacking in every other department(save for some good performances and an excellent soundtrack) - I really think it would've worked much better as a short movie--As a side note, its visceral effect can be compared to those graphically violent drink/driving ads that are on T.V. in the U.K. - both have very little to say/explore but blatantly make their point and pack a punch. Neither are memorable as classics of their media though...

EDIT: have just reread this - I am absolutely shattered so I won't fix the abysmal syntax in this post. Hopefully you'll get my drift...apologies once again

Last edited: