Votes: 23 8.7%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/2stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 22 8.3%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/3stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 43 16.2%
  • [img]http://i.bluelight.ru/g//543/4stars.gif[/img]

Votes: 177 66.8%

• Total voters
I like the first 3/4ths of the movie. But the ending is a little heavy handed for my taste

Watched this movie for the first time tonight, after much resistance. I'm a stiffler for accuracy, and this movie pissed me off. Almost everything it portrayed, from the drug use itself, to medical procedures and due process, was wrong. I get that the drugs were just a plot device to illustrate delusional thinking and failure to fulfill the "American dream", but still. From an HR perspective this movie is unethical, and seems like anti-drug non-sense. Seems like hollywood is still totally incapable of an accurate portrayal.

There is nothing in the movie that speaks of agency, of ways out, of different ways people could find help. It illustrates total abuse yet we don't get to see much back story to find out why the characters are such fatal abusers. It just makes the world seem like this frigid, barren place where everyone and everything is going to fuck you over if you fall for drugs.

The whole thing goes south when they can't score. But you're telling me there was no heroin in NYC because a couple of gangs had a shootout? It doesn't make sense.

How does the mother go from being admitted to the psych ward to "unfortunately our treatments aren't working, you need ECT!" in like 24 hours?

Can someone verify that you can be arrested in the U.S. for having an arm with an infected injection site? And that the hospital would not treat you for obvious sepsis before sending you to jail?

I don't know why people like this movie so much. It's just the usual hollywood exaggeration bullshit. The only thing good about the movie was the cinematography, and parts of the soundtrack, except for the whiny violin song at the end. I like Clint Mansell but if you watch the end on mute you won't be shaken by the music, and you can see how ridiculous it all is.

This movie is overrated.

I respect your opinion but I think you are being hyperactively critical here. Visually, it's a stunning movie. I do think the plotline with the drugs goes overboard...but who would like Romeo and Juliet if it wasn't a tragedy?

Visually, it's a stunning movie.

This. Darren Aronofsky is a genius. Jared Leto's & Jennifer Connelly's performances are superb too.

Also, one of the best soundtracks EVER.

Prolly wasn't the best movie to watch during my first opiate kick
Cried my eyes out, and swore to myself I'd never do dope again

I did anyway though :[
And then I read the book

Even though I'm clean now or whatever I don't think I could watch it again
Certain things (especially a movie about addiction struggle) stick in your mind when you have to bare wd sometimes and if you happen to remember or look back on those things I would instantly relate it with being sick, even if it doesn't have anything to do with drugs what so ever

Gave the film 3 out of 4 stars, I love this movie but the shock of some of it really was a little hard to watch. I heard about this film about 2 years ago from some girl I was tweaking with, she showed me the trailer to the film and for the longest time I REALLY wanted to watch this. It took me forever to find a copy of the film but thankfully, about 3-4 months ago I found it! The movie was amazing, maybe not the best film in history but the cinematic style used was very creative, for example the way they portray drug use, the flash of the dope in a spoon, the syringe hitting the vein, blood bursting into the syringe, the plunger going down then it cuts to Harry and his friends all faded, it's a very original cinematic style the director used. I loved the way they split the film into seasons too, maybe it's just me but when fall hits, I can almost feel the world dying, getting bleak and miserable and getting worse once winter comes but summer is a time of joy, just as they depict in the film. All in all, "Requiem For a Dream" was a great film, the end though, that was a tough scene to watch, the disparity they're all going through feels very real and the scene where his arm gets amputated, I'm not usually easily shaken but I almost had to turn away, it definitely raised my blood pressure to witness it lol. Every time I see the ending, I thank god that I own micron filters and I've learned about IV HR and I take the proper steps to correctly make up each shot I do because damn, the ending is like the very worst case scenario imaginable for all 4 of the main characters!

Last edited:
Watched this movie for the first time tonight, after much resistance. I'm a stiffler for accuracy, and this movie pissed me off. Almost everything it portrayed, from the drug use itself, to medical procedures and due process, was wrong. I get that the drugs were just a plot device to illustrate delusional thinking and failure to fulfill the "American dream", but still. From an HR perspective this movie is unethical, and seems like anti-drug non-sense. Seems like hollywood is still totally incapable of an accurate portrayal.

There is nothing in the movie that speaks of agency, of ways out, of different ways people could find help. It illustrates total abuse yet we don't get to see much back story to find out why the characters are such fatal abusers. It just makes the world seem like this frigid, barren place where everyone and everything is going to fuck you over if you fall for drugs.

The whole thing goes south when they can't score. But you're telling me there was no heroin in NYC because a couple of gangs had a shootout? It doesn't make sense.

How does the mother go from being admitted to the psych ward to "unfortunately our treatments aren't working, you need ECT!" in like 24 hours?

Can someone verify that you can be arrested in the U.S. for having an arm with an infected injection site? And that the hospital would not treat you for obvious sepsis before sending you to jail?

I don't know why people like this movie so much. It's just the usual hollywood exaggeration bullshit. The only thing good about the movie was the cinematography, and parts of the soundtrack, except for the whiny violin song at the end. I like Clint Mansell but if you watch the end on mute you won't be shaken by the music, and you can see how ridiculous it all is.

This movie is overrated.

I think that you raise decent points.

Perhaps there was no deal nearly as lucrative in NYC.

She was completely out of it; perhaps they reasoned there is a small time-frame in which it is possible to pull people out of such an extreme psychosis (maybe). But I don't know why they would choose ECT as a treatment.

Not quite sure when the film takes place, but I think you're right.

It's good if you can see past the inaccuracies. TO be fair, it was made about fifteen years ago. Even in the past five years there has been a lot more truth open to the public about drug use.

It's great as a film, Darren Aronofsky always manages to pull off the grittiness off literally any subject. Personally I don't like it purely because it's just so disturbing, like I can't actually find any joy or thrill from watching this. For a powerful message, it's great.

It's good if you can see past the inaccuracies.

This is absurd. The entire "inaccuracy" argument is absurd.

Hubert Selby Jr is a novelist. His work is NOT subtle.

His narratives are insane and over-the-top.

He is not aiming for realism.

Requiem is a fairy tale.

So is Last Exit to Brooklyn.

I don't question the accuracy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.

Nor do I question the accuracy of Naked Lunch.

The suspension of disbelief is required to appreciate these heavily fictionalized nightmarish depictions of drug-use.

Creative license shouldn't be discouraged in fiction. The unwritten ethics surrounding documentary-making do not apply.

One of the most critically acclaimed TV shows over the past decade is "Breaking Bad", which I loved despite the fact that the drama revolved around an inaccuracy: it is not difficult to produce a high-quality product with laboratory-grade equipment and chemicals if you know what you're doing. Heisenberg, as this mysterious celebrity meth cook, is insane. It doesn't make any sense, whatsoever. But I forgive all that, because the result is fucking entertaining... If they have to twist a couple of facts around to create an engaging context for drama, then that's okay with me.

I've watched movies with people who always say "that wouldn't happen" when something occurs outside of their comfortable level of realism. It fucking annoys the shit out of me. Fictional films are fictional. Whether or not they stick to reality is less important than how effective they are as pieces of art, and if you let the former interfere with the latter: I think you should reconsider your approach.

who would like Romeo and Juliet if it wasn't a tragedy?

+1

Last edited:
Come to think of it, Aronofsky predominantly makes "inaccurate" films (or: films that require the suspension of disbelief).

You might as well question the accuracy of Pi, Black Swan & The Fountain while you're at it.

Or, because they aren't about drugs, do they not fall into the same restricted category?

Heisenberg, as this mysterious celebrity meth cook, is insane. It doesn't make any sense, whatsoever. But I forgive all that, because the result is fucking entertaining... If they have to twist a couple of facts around to create an engaging context for drama, then that's okay with me.

Nevermind that with the ingredients he stole earlier in the show, he would have been making d/l-meth during his rise to fame, instead of pure d-meth, which is a far superior product. Just something that always bugged me about BB :p

Requiem For A Dream

This movie is very good, my friend recommended it to me and we watched it together. Anyone who is into speed or heroin should watch this. I personally loved Sarah, who is an old woman who gets addicted to amphetamines and goes insane.

onkrqcv0.gif