• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Random questions thread - shit you wonder about

Status
Not open for further replies.
atlas said:
the ear candle!!! Go buy one at your local drug store, or smoothie king(huh?)!

holy shit i forgot about those. my moms used to be all about that shit when i was younger but i woudlnt let her get near me with a burning thing to put in my ear til one day when i was 13 and finally let her. it REALLY WORKS.

iunnow bout ear blockage not related to a build up, but damn, you think your shits clean til you burn one of those candle things in it.

stop cleaning deep into your ears with cotton earbuds (q-tips) they actually impact the wax into your ear. just let warm water run in and out of your ear when you're in the shower.

i've read that you can actually cause damage to your ear with ear candling.

Here's one for the forum masses:

- Sentences begin with a capital letter.
- Proper nouns are (normally) first-letter capitalized, regardless of their place in a sentence.
- Proper nouns/names retain their form (capitalization), regardless of placement within a sentence.
- Forum IDs (screen names) are often non-capitalized.
- Forum IDs (screen names) are proper nouns.

It is easy then to use a forum screen name in the middle of a sentence in its original, non-capitalized form. What happens when you use it at the beginning of a sentence? Do you capitalize it? Why, or why not?

edited to make a bit more sense (maybe)

Last edited:
dreamgirlie if it doesn't go away in a couple of days, go see your doctor. they have a water gun type thingie that will squirt warm water into your ear and clean out whatever's in there. it's like chrissie suggested, except more effective as it's right in your ear.

SillyAlien said:
Here's one for the forum masses:

- Sentences begin with a capital letter.
- Proper nouns are (normally) first-letter capitalized, regardless of their place in a sentence.
- Proper nouns/names retain their form (capitalization), regardless of placement within a sentence.
- Forum IDs (screen names) are often non-capitalized.
- Forum IDs (screen names) are proper nouns.

It is easy then to use a forum screen name in the middle of a sentence in its original, non-capitalized form. What happens when you use it at the beginning of a sentence? Do you capitalize it? Why, or why not?

no you don't capitalise it. you've answered your own question with the normally, there's exceptions to every rule.

spelling and grammar rules were created long ago, if we were to apply them stringently to internet/email/forum life we wouldn't have teh and the like, and how would we complain that something is teh suck then? ;)

basically i'd say if someone has chosen to start their screen name without capitalising it, you're pretty much renaming them without their permission.

wondering is cool cuz thats what this shits about...but to take it too serious, and actualyl worry about the proper form of writing someones SN, IMO.....well.....if you give that much of a shit you gotta spend some time not on the internet!

I don't want to upset you, but there's a large percentage of the population that is interested, to some degree, in proper grammar, syntax, and usage, be it on the internet, the printed page, or spoken. I, for one, would just as soon walk around with a big piece of spinach between my teeth all day, than poop on english with the affected, cavalier, gusto you wallow in. =D

whats with jewish people and breaking glass? I know they do it at weddings, but I just watched a movie where a woman kept doing it. Is it good luck or something?

in regards to the question about differing variations of "street":

in all honesty, i think that it is dependent upon the country that you live in. for example, when i was living in Copenhagen, the Danish use a standardized system of naming: a boulevard is a road with more than 2 lanes of traffic in either direction where the buildings are 5 stories or higher. a "gade" or "gate" in English, is a section of road that crosses water (usually containing a bridge). a "torv" or in english "square" is for a quadrangle of buildings 4 or more stories in height whereas a "nytorv" or "new square" is for a quadrangle of buildings 6 or more stories in height. a "vej" or "way" is a road with smaller buildings, of less than 4 stories in height, with 2 or less lanes of traffic in each direction. You see what i'm getting at.

in America, i fail to see a major pattern other than in cities such as New York; where avenue is a road that goes North-South and street is a road that goes East-West.

i googled it, but no one seemed to have a definitive answer to the question:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a990423.html
http://ask.yahoo.com/ask/20050224.html

^^
smaller towns adhere to the avenue/street convention, too. At least, towns that were planned and on grids do. Boulevards are, IIRC, wider than streets, many were built to accomodate streetcars as well as two lanes to traffic.

atlas said:
I don't want to upset you, but there's a large percentage of the population that is interested, to some degree, in proper grammar, syntax, and usage, be it on the internet, the printed page, or spoken. I, for one, would just as soon walk around with a big piece of spinach between my teeth all day, than poop on english with the affected, cavalier, gusto you wallow in. =D

Yea and I would rather be myself "pooping on the english language" than have the condescending, snide, snotty, arrogant attitude towards other people that you have, but anyways, just to clear up what i was sayin:

I think that worrying about capitalizing a SCREEN NAME is a little much. i never said shit about the rest of the language. it was after reading the "By capitalizing a screen name that was lowercase you are in effect renaming someone without their permission" comment that i was a little suprised that people could view something as non formal and non serious as a screen name, as a valid important grammar question.

to each their own but i still think if youre worried about offending someone cuz you did/didnt use a uppercase letter for their screen name you are a little too into the internet.

I think you always capitalize the beginning of a sentence, no matter what word or name it starts with.

And I'm not offended if people call me Fairnymph, even in the middle of a sentence. :p

goatofthenever said:
whats with jewish people and breaking glass? I know they do it at weddings, but I just watched a movie where a woman kept doing it. Is it good luck or something?

I know they're not suppose to have mirrors around while they're in mourning, but I'm not sure if they break them.

Yes, breaking glass is supposed to be good luck. I'm Jewish, but my husband isn't and we didn't have a religious wedding (we got married in Vegas :)) Anyway, during dinner afterward TWO people at the table accidentally knocked their wine glasses over and broke them, so hopefully that means we'll have lots of good luck! :D :D Either that or everyone was drinking a little too much that night ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.