• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics directly lead to an ability to manipulate collectively perceived reality

I suppose it's possible but I don't remember reading that, and I don't care to go back and look through 4 pages right now either.

My ego did get the better of me, and while my experience was real the facts I stated might not be true for someone else. They were only real and true for that experience, that one time. I have no idea if it is repeatable, but there are two things going on in this thread... one the discussion of the paper and two the discussion of what perceived reality is, and that's some really trippy stuff. I prefer to stick with the latter topic of discussion despite the egotistical format of my original post.

I sometimes wonder about the demonization of the ego by some users of psychedelics...

I sometimes wonder about the demonization of the ego by some users of psychedelics...

It's because they use other drugs, too. And don't take psychedelics enough. I would share my experiences but actually won't, it'd be egoic.

First of all, I'd like to say that my posts here may have been misleading, were I forced to take a stance, I should call myself an instrumentalist, not a scientific realist.

Secondly, this thread needs more specificity when objectivity and subjectivity are being mentioned.

BT said:
the reason so many new agers often incorrectly spout out jangled quantum theory when attempting to justify their claims is because magick, or at least ritual magick works by in part by accepting certain "magickal axioms" or suppositions which very closely resemble a number of pretty modern quantum theories.

I thought Quantum Mechanics applied to things at a nanoscopic scale, and that the behavior of physical systems at a macroscopic scale was best served through the lens of Classical Mechanics. There ain't no Grand Unified Theory, last I checked. So, any similarities are deceptive since they take place at very different scales. And as they say, the greatest coincidence of all would be if there weren't any coincidences.

The folks tryin' to use it for the supernatural are no better than Islamic apologists trying to read modern scientific theory into the Qur'an, the difference between'em is that I understand why people raised in an organized religion would have the convictions that they do, so I have sympathy for them.

elucidator said:
Applying this to the inherent individuality of perception implies that everyone may have their own parallel universe inwhich the entanglement of the systems are slightly rearranged.

Is this theory falsifiable and does it have predictive power?

willow said:

See: Carl Junng, re: assimilation of the shadow. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, it seems to me that realizing the flexibility of our identities, especially the fundamental unnecessitity of the some of the socially constructed aspects, becomes an unhealthy loathing of selfness in some people.

Last edited:
Is this theory falsifiable and does it have predictive power?

I dunno dude, I tend to wax lyrical about these subjects when I am high. I don't think there is any testing apparatus for the theories that I think of.
I had a good 2,000 words typed in response to what you guys said. But for some reason it didn't post. ...

Tis a massive bummer when that happens. I have taken to copying every post to copy paste, before I post it, because it is incredibly annoying to try to re type a well thought out post. I have just started reading your essay linked on the first page, looks like incredibly interesting stuff.
Personally, I view reality itself as God. God is infinite. Every single attempt to define God ultimately is a form of blasphemy because when you attempt to label anything what you are actually doing is limiting the ammount of information it holds ( when you say a chair is a chair what you are actually doing is saying that it can only be a chair - not a banana, not a dvd, not anything but a chair). Every attempt to define or label God in any way is incorrect and IMO blasphemous. I believe that reality is a manifestation of infinity (or God) becoming self aware and attempting to understand itself...

I also believe this and consciously try to avoid referring to it as 'God' as that term has been widely misunderstood by many cultures. I also try to avoid conclusively defining it for any definition would only touch on a small part of its true nature and will limit the perception of the concept. I prefer to think of it more of a source of energy.
In the last video, the theory in it is likely correct, that universal "constants" can change; however, physics does not hesitate in stating that universal law is a mere assumption.

I tend to think that things like 'universal laws' are more like 'universal habits' that can be bent or broken.
http://www.ayahuascaassociation.org/the-ayahuasca-advanced-initiation-course/

33 Ayahuasca Ceremonies, in 10 weeks. I just gotta get the cash together, and i'll be back on the internet babbling to you guys about the ancient and mystical ways of animal and plant communication.

That sounds like an incredible experience, but be careful about babbling about it after it is done, for some of the things that you would learn at a thing like that should only be known by the properly initiated.
The ego is the cement that holds together the reality of that particular perception. If we didn't have the ego for the consciousness there would be simultaneously everything and nothing at all (for that perception). The ego tends to seek acceptance from reality and for that reason some demonize it for being 'something that they cannot control'. The ego is best utilized by being non-attached to the precognitions that it makes... which is far easier said than done, ime.

All this sounds kind of familiar... the result of me tripping about once a week on acid for a year (I've done basically the same with mushrooms in another period and have also been a pothead for years in the past) was that I basically lost my natural skepsis and thought that the more open-minded a person is the better. I know / have known people who have similar tendencies, prone to a lot of magical thought and more willing to believe than willing to yield to reality checks, thought and fact checking, etc.

The ability to doubt is there in people for a reason. It does not impose unnecessary limits and boundaries, it is in fact necessary if you want to distinguish true and real things from unreal things, illusions, myths, etc.

Fortunately at some point I starting realizing mistakes I was making in my unchecked theorizing and I started censoring my ideas, chucking the non-sense and keeping the useful stuff that had a point. It's not always true that we should conform to what people around us think, but when a lot of people around you who are sound of mind either can't follow what you are trying to explain (even when you elaborate) or refute / dismiss it based on their own skeptical arguments... then it is worth taking a look at why it is that you cannot hook up your theories to anything we currently understand and hold true or possible.

Have some friends validate your claims, or start doubting yourself some more.

Last edited:
It's because they use other drugs, too. And don't take psychedelics enough. I would share my experiences but actually won't, it'd be egoic.

I'm not entirely sure, but you may have missed my point somewhat. I don't actually see anything wrong with the ego, as long as its influence upon ones life is kept under control. Quite a few of your posts have referred back to egoic behaviour with a degree of almost shame, an attitude that I think may be unhelpful- the ego, if it actually does exist (which I am not convinced of) is just an innate aspect of humanity, not something to be repressed or ashamed of.

See: Carl Junng, re: assimilation of the shadow. Interesting stuff.

Anyway, it seems to me that realizing the flexibility of our identities, especially the fundamental unnecessitity of the some of the socially constructed aspects, becomes an unhealthy loathing of selfness in some people.

I completely agree with your idea there. :)

Also, I've read a fair bit of Jung over the years, but thanks for that suggestion- I'll look into it.

elucidator said:
I have taken to copying every post to copy paste, before I post it

This is a must, I try to copy it every 10 minutes or so. Sometimes I do a lot of research while making the post, or as I've been doing for my last few in this thread, responding to a million small points, then cutting 90% of it off. Anyway, I'm sure I'm not the only one who will go an hour or two between starting to write a post and hitting submit.

soli said:
but when a lot of people around you who are sound of mind either can't follow what you are trying to explain (even when you elaborate) or refute / dismiss it based on their own skeptical argument

Can you elaborate? As it stands, the leeway you have left in your posts is such that it may support people who are so open-minded that the wind whistles between their ears (to borrow T. McKenna's turn of phrase).

I mean, you haven't said anything I disagree with. OTOH, if we're talking psycho-social or economic issues, the stuff we, the psychedelically inclined, are wont to spout is without utility to the average person, even if they'd be willing to acknowledge it as technically true.

If you would like an example, think some of the natural science (as opposed to social science) types you know, they probably accept the vast majority of that lil' box of ideas our society presents us with as a priori assumptions. They would probably roll their eyes at our typical narratives regarding identity, ethics, and a hundred other things that are not even wrong, because these shifts would be purposeless for them (why would they care about what should or shouldn't be included in identity, beyond the aspects necessary for meritocracy? Why should non-users care about prohibition, or unlearning all the lil' subjective things that enable you to fit in with the *insert country here* average?). And while I have spent a lot of time questioning morality itself (as someone with an innate nihilistic streak), how much time should we expect the average person to put to questioning whether murder is inherently wrong, or theft, or what have you ('cause they're not gonna differentiate between social taboo and ethics most of the time)?

soli said:
Have some friends validate your claims, or start doubting yourself some more.

Ack! How many darned druggie types do you know, psychedelic users in particular (caveat: IME that overlaps with pothead)? Because of the ones I've met in real life, 0% of them would be reliable for this purpose, they prefer folklore to verifiable fact. Consider selection bias and its relationship to one's group of friends.

willow said:
Also, I've read a fair bit of Jung over the years, but thanks for that suggestion- I'll look into it.

I haven't investigated him very thoroughly, hence my rather vague recommendation. IIRC, Jung thought a big part of early adulthood is our confrontation with all the nasty things in our subconcious, everything that we'd rather not acknowledge. This is difficult, he said it could take 7 years or something like that, and in some unlucky cases the shadow would try to subsume the self (which immediately struck me as akin to psychedelics users trying to kill their ego). It is by the acceptance of the entirety of our minds, of our thoughts and actions, as a real part of us, and by consciously integrating these ugly aspects into our conscious selves (while channeling them productively rather than surrendering to their whims) that we grow into maturity. This recollection may be inaccurate, I dunno, somebody who's done more reading'll haveta tell me.

To be honest, the only primary text of his I've read is his "Seven Sermons to the Dead" which is rather gnostic. I'd highly recommend it to PDers, the dude can vibe with us drug-aided practitioners of mysticism, while at the same time he never forgets the importance of social functionality; social functioning in Western society is naively scorned by many of our comrades, especially those unfamiliar with anomie and its hazards. You can easily read 7 sermons in one sitting, and it's available online, the only prerequisite is the ability to interpret spiritual allegory (preferably informed by some knowledge of Jungian psychology).

Last edited:

I also wonder about this. I think in some cases it may be a misunderstanding of what the ego is. The "ego" (as I think of it) is simply the sense of self, the particular set of perceptual constraints and resulting mindset and beliefs that separate an individual from the collective. As such, having an ego is specifically what makes us individuals, what makes us human. I believe some of the confusion comes from the other ways we use the word, ie, "egotistical", which certainly has a negative connotation. My ex used to always tell me to lose my ego (ironically doing just that is something I occasionally strive for, unlike her), sometimes when I would disagree with her, and any time I would get offended and react with anger when she would hurt me. I believe she has a fundamental misunderstanding of what the ego is, and I think a lot of other people do too. The ego is not good or evil, it's simply what makes us an individual. There is nothing wrong with being an individual, one should embrace one's ego while remembering to avoid being egotistical.

Similarly, I think Freud's use of the term has also confused matters (id, ego and super-ego).

Last edited:
^Well put. And for some reason, this comes to mind, "gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā"

Last edited:
i dont mean to discount your experiences OP, but i have heard a lot of acidheads (and non-acidheads) say this kind of stuff. i am yet to really see any proof of telekinesis. once these things can be replicated in a scientific setting with measurable results, you can count me as a believer.

that is not to say i dont think it is possible. i think we have many untapped abilities and potential and humans are just slowly getting accustomed to the things we are doing now. i think these things are far less controllable and quantifiable than the notions we as a society have been writing books, TV shows, movies, etc about. i think its more like getting to understand the patterns in the static, like seeing the roadmap of cosmic synchronicities. i have experienced a kind of telepathy on psychedelics--well, it was a very strange and powerful experience, but it kind of showed me that these things are happening all the time to a certain degree, we just dont notice it. is it measurable? i dont know. if you can fit ten thousand people on acid in a lab with the grateful dead playing, maybe we can check it out.

interestingly enough there was a related experiment on ESP, done at a grateful dead concert in the early seventies.

http://www.forteantimes.com/features/articles/169/the_grateful_deads_acid_test_for_esp.html

we know so very, very little in the scheme of things, so when i find people that seem to have it all figured out, its just natural that i question it.

I also wonder about this. I think in some cases it may be a misunderstanding of what the ego is. The "ego" (as I think of it) is simply the sense of self, the particular set of perceptual constraints and resulting mindset and beliefs that separate an individual from the collective. As such, having an ego is specifically what makes us individuals, what makes us human. I believe some of the confusion comes from the other ways we use the word, ie, "egotistical", which certainly has a negative connotation. My ex used to always tell me to lose my ego (ironically doing just that is something I occasionally strive for, unlike her), sometimes when I would disagree with her, and any time I would get offended and react with anger when she would hurt me. I believe she has a fundamental misunderstanding of what the ego is, and I think a lot of other people do too. The ego is not good or evil, it's simply what makes us an individual. There is nothing wrong with being an individual, one should embrace one's ego while remembering to avoid being egotistical.
Similarly, I think Freud's use of the term has also confused matters (id, ego and super-ego).

From a western occult point of view part of the ego's function is to protect you but in doing so it also works to hold you back from engaging in behaviour that while might be dangerous or potentially destructive such behaviour certain behaviours are necessary for conscious evolution ( which to a large degree is exactly what Magick seeks to do - it's very much a sort of self programming for better or worse). In nearly every system I've studied conquering of the ego is vital step in the process of magickal initiation. I've always been skeptical of the so many "masters " who've claimed to achieve this as it's supposed requirement for adeptship in so many western systems (Golden Dawn, OTO, AA, etc,).

^ Trying to conquer the ego is another expression of the ego, heh.

It's fun pretending to be a separate entity. But taken too far, it creates feelings of isolation, and violent impulses towards that from which one feels separate.

I tend to think that things like 'universal laws' are more like 'universal habits' that can be bent or broken.
Not to anyone's will.

Otherwise sure.

I see 3 possibilities.

1. The speed of light was given an incorrect number of significant figures simply for the sake of calculations.

2. The speed off light actually changes relative to the pull of gravity and uncovering this taboo may help lead to a unifying theory.

3. The guy is a splendid science fiction author who rarely breaks character.

From a western occult point of view part of the ego's function is to protect you but in doing so it also works to hold you back from engaging in behaviour that while might be dangerous or potentially destructive such behaviour certain behaviours are necessary for conscious evolution ( which to a large degree is exactly what Magick seeks to do - it's very much a sort of self programming for better or worse). In nearly every system I've studied conquering of the ego is vital step in the process of magickal initiation. I've always been skeptical of the so many "masters " who've claimed to achieve this as it's supposed requirement for adeptship in so many western systems (Golden Dawn, OTO, AA, etc,).
I'm pretty darn sure you are taking about the super-ego.

Last edited:
BT said:
From a western occult point of view part of the ego's function is to protect you but in doing so it also works to hold you back from engaging in behaviour that while might be dangerous or potentially destructive such behaviour, certain behaviours are necessary for conscious evolution ( which to a large degree is exactly what Magick seeks to do - it's very much a sort of self programming for better or worse).

Can we drop the bolded term in favor of "self-actualization" if that is in fact what you mean?

I realize how annoying my pedantry must be, but I worry that the appropriation of scientific terms by New Age types encourages them to depart from their normal esotericism, and start making pseudoscientific exoteric truth claims.

BT said:
In nearly every system I've studied conquering of the ego is vital step in the process of magickal initiation. I've always been skeptical of the so many "masters " who've claimed to achieve this as it's supposed requirement for adeptship in so many western systems (Golden Dawn, OTO, AA, etc,).

I'm with you there, I've often thought the same thing. The requirement seems inordinately difficult and vague, perhaps attaining meekness and subordinating the carnal desires would be a better goal (or a description of the same goal less likely to throw aspirants into a spiritual tailspin).

Last edited:
Can you elaborate? As it stands, the leeway you have left in your posts is such that it may support people who are so open-minded that the wind whistles between their ears (to borrow T. McKenna's turn of phrase).

I mean, you haven't said anything I disagree with. OTOH, if we're talking psycho-social or economic issues, the stuff we, the psychedelically inclined, are wont to spout is without utility to the average person, even if they'd be willing to acknowledge it as technically true.

Well for example, a friend of mine (whom I've grown tired of due to reasons relevant to this thread - basically chronic miscommunication / mismatch between us rather than just me being merely judgemental about him (or am I? ;) ) has a habit of magical thinking. He is (also) on a steady diet of logical fallacies / all sorts of cognitive biases.
When something happens that has meaningful symbolism to him, he readily dreams up associations and pseudo-profound explanations - not accounting for all the times when such things do not happen. I forget the name for that fallacy but it is a classic.
He is also very quick to believe in the possibility of chemicals having a memory of the intentions of people or the source (lab synthed vs extracted DMT). He is not concerned with utter absence of empirical proof for such theories or the huge amounts of evidence we have that psychological reasons work very well to explain phenomena like say subjectively experienced differences between DMT samples.
He seems persistent that such beliefs carry just as much value / right to be believed in as polished scientifical theories or even laws, apparently just because he likes to believe those things are true.
Also, I think that he possibly believes that adopting skepticism implies becoming chronically desillusioned and "losing the magic" of life. Is it black and white like that and is it even true? Well I think it is still possible to be frivolous, even if that frivolity is not being confused with truth and reality. And it seems like his limited capacity (he has not enjoyed much education) to understand intricate workings behind things causes him to conveniently reject what he cannot easily have anyway. Sorry if that sounds inconsiderate of his feelings, I just believe it to be true and I have empathy issues as well - so what should I concede?
I do not necessarily wish to deny him his beliefs, but chronic failure or even unwillingness to understand elegant and logical ideas combined with a tendency to pretend that something frivolous he just came up with (which is admittedly creative or fantastical at times) can actually participate in a scientific / skeptical debate... over time that instilled desperate feelings in me. I'm just not into being a stoner and sharing stoner ideas anymore, I admit that. If he is, then much between is just ends up being a waste.

When I think about what I was like when I tripped just about every week, I was also much too absorbed by how appealing ideas, theories, associations / links were rather than how valid. I was interested to see shit like "what the bleep do we know" and didn't mind how a lot of it is vague, incorrect or taking things like quantum mechanics too far out of context.
Later I just had to admit that I do know have the proper understanding and know-how of fields like quantum mechanics, psychology, metaphysics to attempt to hook them all up like I did. Sure, I am not unfamiliar with such studies, but what I had was vague dreams about the fundamental workings of reality and of our minds, and I was not subjecting them to skepticism properly.

It is just important to keep track of what we actually know and understand at a given point, otherwise it is just easy to delude yourself. Regarding some things, I was a little late to admit it, but I took some steps back.

My point in my previous post was mostly that I recommend others take a few steps back as well when it is the right time to do so, lest they get lost.

Definitely not everyone should be hyperrational and logic-loving like I may be, it is probably most worthwhile to have a healthily balanced marriage between serial thought patterns of logic and parrallel thought patterns of creative dreams, induction and deduction, rational and irrational, etc.
But if he have the best interests of other people at heart, shouldn't we remind each other to maintain that balance when someone is showing signs of deficiency? IMHO Ideally a person is then not corrected by others, but just supported to make such realisations himself, so that balance is restored naturally.

In that light, I think it would be missing the point if we were to compare examples and have people here point out their own opinion about for example the natural vs. synthetic debate. It is about the structural dynamics of the thinking underneath - mainly a disregard of one perspective.
When I meet that friend, I continue to listen to his arguments for his perspective but what happens is that his point fails to arrive. When a theory remains vague and cannot be explained, that seems like a sign to me. Sure it can happen once or twice, but when it continues happening until it is basically the only thing happening - then clearly something is the matter. When a belief cannot be communicated or verified, does it not deserve to be categorized as a phantasy, OR - and this is important to acknowledge mysticism and parts of religious world views like moral values... we can see if it has some value regardless of whether there is empirical truth behind it.
And indeed, sometimes such ideas that cannot be consolidated are still beautiful and even important or meaningful to the point of being profound.

If you would like an example, think some of the natural science (as opposed to social science) types you know, they probably accept the vast majority of that lil' box of ideas our society presents us with as a priori assumptions. They would probably roll their eyes at our typical narratives regarding identity, ethics, and a hundred other things that are not even wrong, because these shifts would be purposeless for them (why would they care about what should or shouldn't be included in identity, beyond the aspects necessary for meritocracy? Why should non-users care about prohibition, or unlearning all the lil' subjective things that enable you to fit in with the *insert country here* average?). And while I have spent a lot of time questioning morality itself (as someone with an innate nihilistic streak), how much time should we expect the average person to put to questioning whether murder is inherently wrong, or theft, or what have you ('cause they're not gonna differentiate between social taboo and ethics most of the time)?

Ack! How many darned druggie types do you know, psychedelic users in particular (caveat: IME that overlaps with pothead)? Because of the ones I've met in real life, 0% of them would be reliable for this purpose, they prefer folklore to verifiable fact. Consider selection bias and its relationship to one's group of friends.

Sure, there are moments when my philosophical mentality and ideas about / criticisms of the world fall on deaf ears of friends and family... but honestly a lot of the time I have people around me who are willing to indulge me, even if they are not all willing to go as far or deep into conversations.

I don't know dozens of druggies but I do have some very good friends who share enough interests to have nice talks and whom I can exchange appreciation and fascination with. But I actually don't really have serious tripper friends IRL. Instead there are some people who either used to be well into that, or have always limited themselves to the theoretical side / or like say the chemistry side of things.

If I am missing some of your points, please, lend me a hand with that.

Before I forget: in conclusion the problem I have with the premise of this thread is not that I deny the TS his beliefs off the bat (from what little I know of magick I imagine there can be some real basis in it, just like rituals sometimes have practical usefulness on top of being tradition / superstition). The problem I have is that it is claimed to have an empirical basis, that it can in fact be checked.
That is what prompts me to say: well have someone check it then! Get someone who can be considered independent, to avoid folie a deux or folie en familie type situations - phenomena which indeed do happen for example with multiple people ingesting BZ or other deliriants.
I just dare you to convince me the explanation does not lie with those delirium-related ones. Which is undoubtedly basically the reason why Roger said stop taking acid and start taking risperdal.

Last edited:
Haha, 2.5 mg dexamph many hours ago. =D But a pinch of oxy also always brings me into my own a bit, at least it feels that way. Does it read like rant or only look like the likes?

No but really, I love/hate the topic, bit of a gear grinding pet peeve but I am also interested to hear the other side of it. And as a possible long-term side-effect of excessive tripping it seems like it could be important to dig at this... no?

This is a fascinating thread and I am happy with my experiment.

After having practiced reality-altering techniques for a very long time i decided to remotely influence Daniel's mind (DoctorSativa) and i used several advanced fractals to communicate with his psyche without him knowing and enlighten him. From over 80 thousand kilometres away i helped him make that tree grow and improve his abilities. This proves how much of a success this is and yes it is actually possible. Psychedelics aren't the only way to achieve this in fact I would not recommend them because there are much better ways.

Now I am very much aware some people will not believe me but like it is, but I believe it to be real and what is reality but what we perceive it to be; if you begin reading this post thinking it's full of shit, then in your reality, it will be