• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic Euphoria vs. MDMA Euphoria

Mdma euphoria will most likely always be better than most psychdelic euphoria. A, you don't have to push your self to feel nice the drug is releasing massive amounts of chemicals for you. B, you have a constant feeling of euphoria unlike psychedelics. I highly doubt your going to be having a nice and euphoric time the WHOLE time during a trip(there will be many confusing and down parts of the trip as well where your just trying to grasp things). That being said the comedown of mdma shows you exactly what it did.. it drained all the happy chemicals (serotonin, dopamine, NE) and now you feel like complete shit because you need to wait for your brain to recover and replenish.

Before the MDMA experience that I had last night, I would have agreed with the others that said classical psychedelic euphoria was more genuine, useful and and potentially stronger. With most people, psychedelics are more set-and-setting dependent than empathogens, but after extensively experimenting with both (more so psychedelics) I have came to the conclusion that it works in an opposite manner for me.

Pure MDMA gives me an extreme sense of peacefulness, contentment, and love/empathy towards others, but Ive never gotten the "rush" that others speak of (except with dirty rolls laced with speed. but even then I found it unsettling). I rarely had much of a come-down from MDMA, but I have experienced a slight depression for the following 2-4 days. I only use MDMA about 6 times a year (at most), and the most that I have ever done in a night was 200 mgs (never re-dosing). I consume psychedelics about once a month on average, but most of this is during the summer.

I was about to give up on MDMA because I thought that it was shallow, and did not even hold a candle to the psychedelic "ecstasy" of a good soul-cleansing trip. A lot of this also had to do with my observance of people that heavily abuse MDMA, and the stupid way that they act in that state. However, last night I had the chance to attend an electronic music and arts festival/rave in an old warehouse that featured a world wide variety of of DJs/musicians. I have rolled and tripped at outdoor electronic music festivals, but they were more jam-tronica oriented than rave/dance music (for lack of a better term). The tickets were expensive, so I volunteered in order to get in for free. I also really wanted to get involved in making this event possible, and plan to volunteer at events like this in the future.

While setting up for the event, I met a fellow volunteer from Ireland (I'm from the USA), and we became friends. We hung out after our shifts were over, and agreed to meet up later at the venue after showering and getting something to eat. When I returned to the venue, I watched the first artist play, and then overheard that they needed someone to run the interactive video game stations that were hooked up to projectors, and reacted to the live music. Since it was early, and I was there alone, I decided to take the job. Im usually an extremely shy person, and have a hard time making friends, so this was also an opportunity (without drugs) to help me to come out of my shell and get to know random strangers. Some of the games were 2 player, so I would play with the person if they didn't have a friend with them.

After my shift was over, I took about 20 mgs of 4-ho-dipt, and watched the first few artists play. Towards the end of the trip, I dropped about 150 mgs of MDMA and met up with my Irish friend. We eventually met up with another friend of his, and we got along very well. I also unexpectedly met a fellow co-worker there, which was a bit surprising because I did not know that he was into the rave music/culture. I have been having a lot of stress and tension lately from work, and I seeing him there in my state of mind (rolling) I felt a bond with him, and realized that the issues I was having at work were not as bad as I made them out to be. I spent the rest of the night with my new friends, and I danced my ass off for about 8 hours. I didn't have an excess of energy from the MDMA, but if the music motivated me, it felt like I could reach down, deep inside my soul and channel my existing energy into dancing like Iv'e never danced before. There was no come-down, except for a slight headache, which was resolved with a few glasses of water and a banana.

That night was the first time that I had a +3 experience from MDMA. I could feel the group consciousness and love in the air, and I felt a sense of pride and accomplishment for helping make the event possible, even if my contributions were limited. Others in this thread have said that psychedelic euphoria is more rewarding because you have to mentally work things out for yourself, and the euphoria is a reward. Well last night I felt that my reward was from a combination of helping people, making new friends, and the drug itself. The 4-ho-dipt had mostly worn off by the time that I had consumed the MDMA, so I do not consider it a "flip", although I am sure that the profound afterglow also had an influence on my roll. I do not have much more to add about this matter. But may main point is that for some, ideal MDMA experiences require the same amount of mental and emotional dexterity as psychedelics.

Idle, that sounds amazing, you should write a trip report! Honest opinion though, do you think your experience with the MDMA had anything to do with the fact that you took the 4-ho-dipt before hand? I know you said the trip was over and worn off, but still, I'm sure it had some kind of influence.

Awesome experience though, I'm glad you got that much out of it!!

I've done both psychadelics (LSD and shrooms) and MDMA, though I wouldn't describe myself as a very experienced user. But I'm starting to get a handle on what works for me, and it is very much related to the space I am in emotionally as well as the situation and the people I am with.

I agree with the person who said LSD intensifies all emotions. If you're in an environment with people you like, with the beauty of nature around you, and you feel safe, then you are going to have a wonderful time. The visuals are not only interesting, they are AMAAAZING and it is hard not to shake your head in wonder at the beauty of it all and be glad you're alive. It's the euphoria of falling in love for the first time. The world looks new. You are also more suggestible and things that you would normally think were a bit funny or strange suddenly become totally hilarious. You know how sometimes a young baby will get fixated on an object and laugh and laugh? I understand that now.
So a psychadelic euphoria is a sort of intelligent euphoria, it's experiencing the wonder of the universe through senses that have been unlocked.

The downside is that being suggestible, you are also open to seeing scary things when objects start moving around, and if you start to feel unsafe things can turn bad pretty quickly. There's nothing euphoric about that. So psychadelics are to be used with more caution and careful preparation IMO.

MDMA - meh, I've gone off it a bit. Most people say the euphoria is best the first time. After that many people (including me) tend to lose the magic to a greater or lesser extent.

Also, for me, and I know I'm not alone in this, no matter how much fun you had with MDMA the next few days can be pretty unpleasant with low mood and anxiety, and a paranoid fear that this time you're not going to get your old self back. It is true that with MDMA your body can reset your serotonin levels. If you start to up the dose trying to get the magic back you are just asking for trouble.

There doesn't seem to be any of this with psychodelics, not for me anyway. I was tripping hard for more than 12 hours just yesterday, went to bed still quite out of it, slept well for 7 hours and woke up fresh as a daisy and full of energy and plans for the future, and with a renewed appreciation of the universe. The aftermath of all my three trips have been like this, while the MDMA the come down has been worse every time with a sad disappointed feeling that the magic had departed and I'd been duped.

That being said, in a social situation the MDMA euphoria is very nice if you can get it. After nearly a year off the stuff I'm about to try it again, at a party.

psychedellic euphoria feels natural, MDMA somewhat natural as well but usually I am drinking when i take it so i haven't tried to have a "psychedelic" MDMA experience

The euphoria of LSD feels SO similar to the euphoria of MDMA. I find the MDMA euphoria almost feels like a subset of the LSD euphoria.

I don't really get euphoria from psychedelics. I feel happy because the experience is exciting, but it's nothing like what I've felt on kratom, propylhexedrine, cannabis, nitrous, or even alcohol. It's just not a pronounced effect for me. The only entactogen I've taken (if you can even call it that) was 5-Meo-MIPT and I didn't even feel happy on that one. MDMA has so far eluded me. It seems the people doing "Molly" around here are actually doing random ass RCs laced with speed.

I occasionally get an incredibly euphoric feeling from mushrooms, only if I haven't taken them in a couple months and my tolerance is low though. I can remember times on shrooms where I was laying in bed listening to music and when they came on I felt this warm rush come over my body, similar to MDMA but cleaner feeling.

This is something I only occasionally experience, because I tend to take mushrooms and LSD frequently. Typically my trips are amazing! But not as euphoric as MDMA...

I think MDMA's euphoria will consistently surpass that of psychedelics. However, I also feel it has a ceiling. That is, the maximum euphoria attainable on, LSD for example, will surpass a peak euphoric MDMA experience. The psychedelic headspace is so much more malleable and limitless. Of course, with psychedelics there can be the possibility of a 'bad trip' for some. Then again, the MDMA comedown is so ugly to me that the experience is often overall neutral. Psychedelics meanwhile give a lasting afterglow very often.

So in my opinion: for guaranteed mind-blowing euphoria take MDMA. If you would like to roll the dice for a chance at surpassing the MDMA euphoria: take LSD, mushrooms, DMT, etc.

Also, don't discount the potential of dissociative drugs when it comes to achieving orgasmic euphoria. They can very much hold their own with empathogens or the classic psychedelics in this regard.

Mdma's euphoria was the strongest by far, and it's not even close ime. Shrooms are at a pretty good level, but miprocin's is higher and is probably the same as 5 mapb's when I first tried it. aMT's euphoria is high up there too, with DOPr's a little bit above that on a high dose. Cannabis is somewhere around there, along with meth/adderall/amp. 2C-I is a little bit below these. I've never had much euphoria from lsd, though in the beginning I probably did. But it would go up and down and then stay neutral for most trips. 2C-P's is neutral overall too. Methylone's is weak and it feels dirty, while pipes take the dysphoric cake. It's the worst substance I've ever taken by far.

If I were an authority at Guantanamo Bay, I'd make them eat pipes instead of waterboarding them.

Btw, how do some of you define euphoria? I personally define it as feeling like it's a really good day, extreme happiness and serenity, as well as becoming too empathetic in a way. Mdma's euphoria pushed me to talk to strangers in a very polite tone (more so than I already do), and even play nice with some "enemies" from back in the day. Nothing else could get me to be like that.

I guess ymmv and this is PD. =D it's alllll good.

MDMA's euphoria could never be intense as psychedelic euphoria is at the right times, really nothing about rolling compares to tripping for me. Psychedelic euphoria feels so real & natural, I feel fully aware as I'm feeling it too - MDMA euphoria feels very "forced" & fake for me however, plus I don't feel "fully aware" like on psychs, just intoxicated. But rolling's never been of much interest to me anyways, waste of time & serotonin (especially when a lot of psychedelics have the best parts of rolling, AND an actual trip, anyways).

I see. Certainly if you don't like it much or if it's not your flavor, then it probably won't give out much euphoria. Idk why, I never felt that mdma was as forced as it was bringing out what I didn't know I had. But that makes sense. The same was true for me when I took acid every weekend for a long time; I took it even though I didn't like it much, but damn, my friends love it and they still do. I never had that wow euphoria that everyone else seems to get, but I can empathize and see where they're coming from. At least I got it good with shrooms like others around me, thankfully.

I guess there's the psych corner, stims/mdma, dissociatives, etc.

Overall, I like psychs a lot too. They're just different beasts altogether.

The euphoria is a different type. The euphoria from MDMA really shines and is authentic when connecting and empathizing with others. It's a drug of empathy and connection and relationships. Psychedelics on the other hand give euphoria from pure existence, the realization of truth and what is. It's outward vs. inward. Interpersonal vs. intrapersonal.

The euphoria is a different type. The euphoria from MDMA really shines and is authentic when connecting and empathizing with others. It's a drug of empathy and connection and relationships. Psychedelics on the other hand give euphoria from pure existence, the realization of truth and what is. It's outward vs. inward. Interpersonal vs. intrapersonal.

Yaa, a much better explanation.

Mdma is much more suited for socialization for sure. People look bright and cute instead of them melting and morphing, which ime makes a difference. But yeah, the above is better than what I was about to say. :)

for me, nothing comes close to the euphoria of MDMA. I do feel euphoric on higher doses of psychedelics but it's not as intense as MDMA or good cocaine. The psych that gives me the best "mdma like" euphoria is def 2C-I. It's stimulating, I clench my jaw, it's really in pushy and in your face like MDMA and there's not much of a mindfuck or confusion. I didn't think 5-meo-mipt was anything like MDMA, I got no real euphoria but I've only done it once so I need to experiment further with that one. 4-aco-dmt has decent euphoria, as does n,n-dmt.

I'm gonna echo a lot of other posters and say this is like comparing apples and oranges. The main difference is that many people don't take psychs only to feel euphoria (most people are looking for answers for something in their life or just want some deeper introspection), whereas most people that take MDMA do it because they want to feel that euphoria. There have been times where I took psychedelic drugs just because I wanted to feel some euphoria and it backfires every time. Psychs are not hedonistic drugs (and neither is MDMA really, but...) and the euphoria you get from them is dependent on your mindset and what you take from the trip.

psychedelic euphoria beats MDMA euphoria hands down... The reason for this is in the nature of the drugs: with MDMA you feel emotionally connected but you also know that its not real; its the result of serotonin release... With psychedelics the real magic comes from the fact that they allow you to see the world in completely different ways than you could normally. Psychedelics allow you to experience awe and amazement at the world itself and the resulting euphoria is genuine and real.

Generally psychedelics tend to lean in the euphoric direction because human emotion naturally tends to lean toward happiness *unless* there is reason to be unhappy. People with Down's syndrome often are happy most of the time because they lack the capacity to worry a whole lot. I think there are numerous ways to prove it but yeah we are wired to be happy, and evolutionary it makes sense since it is fundamental to us wanting to keep on living.

On a related note, that is why we have set & setting rules telling us not to trip if you have reasons to worry a whole lot. It impairs that tendency to feel alright and makes how you feel unreliable.

Psychedelics amplify how you feel, they can amplify unhappiness / dysphoria just as well...

MDMA euphoria can seem more overwhelming at times, since it can seem more unexpected. Which is no wonder since it is produced a lot more artificially by the release and reuptake inhibition of monoamines.

When my own euphoria is unreliable and in social situations, going out on a festival etc, I might prefer MDMA cause it tends to enable me to be unburdened and extraverted... But if it is more like a peaceful quiet setting and I feel fine or better than that, I prefer psychedelics to make me (more) euphoric. Mescaline is exceptional in how genuine and 'native' I feel, like my most pure self. I treasure every second on mesc!

People with Down syndrome have the same range of emotions as anyone else. That's a silly stereotype with no basis in reality.

I never said that, you are missing the point. Of course they have a full range of emotions. I was talking about the phenomenon 'thinking yourself depressed (or sad)', something logically expected to be less prevalent in people who reflect less, or stop less to think about something that is not directly relevant. Picking an example of people with this syndrome is obviously strongly distracting from that point which I could just have mentioned as is. Not to mention that they may even have their own problems instead like getting upset related to fixations, or something like that.
The issue (my point) was discussion with my by a gifted professional caregiver of people with disabilities, I like to think that she was not led by silly stereotypes.

Last edited:
I like MDMA when at a festival and my tolerance to psychedelics has gone up from the first two days of tripping. The euphoria from psychedelics is more divine, but if you want to stay in that headspace, MDMA can put you there again.