View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelic Euphoria vs. MDMA Euphoria

Seattle_Stranger

Bluelighter
Just a topic for discussion. I'm just wondering if I'm alone feeling this way. I hope not!

If you want the short version, basically I'm asking your opinion on the euphoric state achieved via psychedelics vs the euphoria induced by an amphetamine such as MDMA or MDA, and also your opinion on the overall reward/result of both kinds of drugs.

I've tripped on 2C's before, and absolutely loved them but didn't like the bad side effects like anxiety, body load, jitteryness, etc.. I took shrooms for the first time this weekend with a few friends, and I found it to be everything the 2C's were, but without any of the bad side effects! It started out where 4 friends and I drank ~3g worth of tea each, and for the first hour we all felt nothing but stoned, tired, slight color enhancement, slight pattern movement on the wood floor, but nothing impressive. After a while, I grab a friend and bring him to my room, we turn on some cool lights, put on awesome trip hop music and we loaded a bowl of good cannabis. We smoked, chilled, talked, listened to the music, and it wasn't long until I said "Dude, I honestly feel easily as good as rolling just without the energy push!" He agreed. We've both rolled several times already, granted we aren't super experienced but we have rolled enough to know what's up. We weighed it out like this:

• It's well known that shrooms are FAR less neurotoxic than MDMA, if at all.
  • This euphoria we were feeling was self-induced, it felt like it was coming from the inside. MDMA simply 'forces' you into euphoria.
  • Shrooms are natural, just like the weed we smoked. MDMA is a synthetic, cooked up in some illegitamate lab and cut with unknown other substances
  • MDMA always makes me feel like "It sucks I'll never feel this happy without drugs". The shrooms actually made me feel like I found new ways to be this happy even without drugs...and it worked. Two days later I still feel like the smile hasn't left my face.
  • There's something about visuals that are incredibly euphoric to me. I see something warp around with crawling color patterns on it and I start giggle my head off like a girl. MDMA's visuals obviously don't even come close, and while rolling I actually always find myself wishing it was more visual.
  • MDMA always leaves you wanting/needing more, while on shrooms I felt perfectly high, no need for any more or any less. I asked my friend "If I gave you more tea, would you feel any better or higher?" He said no. I then asked "If you were rolling and I offered you another hit, would you take it?" He said yes. I felt the same. Point being: If I'm on a drug, and I constantly want more of it, that's bad.
  • On MDMA, I feel like my brain is melting and being fried. On shrooms, I felt like my brain was being opened, freed, and rebuilt.
  • Shrooms made me feel so good about myself, so confident, and brought forward positive feelings about myself. It made me look inside and I liked what I saw, I saw a good person and that made me incredibly euphoric and has left a lasting impression of self esteem long after the drugs have worn off. MDMA just makes me love everything for no good reason, makes me feel invincible, while at the same time reminding me "You're not actually this cool, remember, you're rolling."
  • As far as come downs are concerned, MDMA has probably the worst come down ever. Life feels empty, boring, annoying, tiring , and all I can think about is how I wish I was still high, and how I'm destroying myself with these drugs. Shrooms had a very nice, easy float back down to Earth leaving me with a feeling of enlightenment.
  • The day after rolling sucks, I feel completely drained of energy, still wishing I was high, still thinking that I'm ruining my brain, and feeling like sober life just sucks. The day after shrooms I woke up for work just fine, went to work feeling a sort of afterglow, limbs still felt kinda heavy which kept making me giggle, and that feeling of enlightenment still has not gone away.
  • Last but not least, I didn't chew my gums to peices while I was high. The day after I roll my jaw feels like it's going to fall off due to the teeth clenching. There was some slight jaw clench going on with the shrooms, but no more than I normally do it, and no where near as much while rolling.

I hope no one is getting me wrong, I love, love, love, love, love, LOVE me some MDMA. If it comes down to which drug actually FEELS better, MDMA wins hands down obviously. However, when I weigh out all factors, the drug itself, the experience, the side effects, the after effects, neuro-toxicity, the "unknown" factors, and even stigma, I feel like mushrooms take the flag. Here's an analogy I came up with when trying to explain the difference to a friend:

Pretend you are an infant. You cry and cry and cry, so your mom comes, picks you up, holds you close, speaks softly to you, and makes everything perfect. Then after about 4 hours, she literally drops you back into your crib. That's MDMA.

Now take that same scenario, but instead your mother teaches you, in a way you never thought possible, to comfort yourself and reach that same comfort point on your own. It might not be as easy, it might not be as instantaneous or as intense of a comfort as if she had just picked you up, however knowing that you are making yourself happy and comfortable somehow makes you feel even better...and unless you drop yourself, you don't need to worry about your comfort zone being ripped away from you.

Yes I was very stoned when I came up with that. :p But anyway, I'm interested in anyone feels this way too? I know I'd probably get different answers if I posted this exact same thing in ED, but I'm more interested in what the psychedelic crowd has to say. There's much more to learn from people who are happy from within.

Thanks to everyone in advance!! :)

Last edited:
They're two really different drugs. Shrooms aren't really a party drug, x is basically made for partying. I don't know why they need to be compared. They're both amazing in their own ways.

Shrooms aren't really a party drug,

well, ur totally wrong about that

but ill be the first to agree with the OP...shrooms are better than x. not necessarily agreeing with all ur reasoning, but given the choice, ill take boomers anytime

They're two really different drugs. Shrooms aren't really a party drug, x is basically made for partying. I don't know why they need to be compared. They're both amazing in their own ways.

That's an excellent point and I often think that way too. I'm not one to compare two different drugs normally. However, like I kept saying, I have been left with this feeling of enlightenment and part of that enlightenment is a feeling of......hmmm what's a good way to put this......feeling like I found a new path to my favorite place. I feel like I was going the easy route, dealing with the traffic, the potholes that ruin my rims and the crappy ride home, while all along there was a different, more scenic route with no traffic, smooth paved roads and a rather easy drive home.

I'm basically wondering if anyone else feels this way about a psychedelic euphoria compared to an amphetamine euphoria. That's the real comparison here, not so much the drugs themselves.

I agree with most of your points except for "it's natural", since that's an arbitrary standpoint. One could just as validly argue that since humans are natural, so are Large Hadron Colliers and nuclear weapons.

well, ur totally wrong about that

but ill be the first to agree with the OP...shrooms are better than x. not necessarily agreeing with all ur reasoning, but given the choice, ill take boomers anytime

I'm interested in what reasoning you agree and disagree with, and what reasoning you may have yourself.

I'm trying to not make this another dumb "hey guyz leik wut drug is beter" thread comparing apples to refrigerators. I hope it's not coming off that way. I suppose I should have originally refereed to the euphoria reached via different drugs, as opposed to just comparing shrooms to MDMA. :)

I'm basically wondering if anyone else feels this way about a psychedelic euphoria compared to an amphetamine euphoria. That's the real comparison here, not so much the drugs themselves.

i do prefer the euphoria from psychedelics because it feels much more genuine.
It feels like pure, unadultered joy coming from deep within you.<3

Amphetamine euphoria is a forced feeling and much lessrewarding in the end.

Do you mind if i change you thread title to something like "Psychedelic Euphoria Vs. MDMA Euphoria"

i think it may get more replies that way.

Do you mind if i change you thread title to something like "Psychedelic Euphoria Vs. MDMA Euphoria"

Please do, thank you very much. That's far more suiting. =D

You said it just right. It's that genuine feeling of euphoria that feels naturally achievable. It feels like you're making yourself happy, because well, you are! Granted I'm no neuro-scientist, but I'd say it's a good guess to assume psychedelics don't actually induce euphoria, but due to the extremely different ways your mind processes information, they allow you to sort of "figure things out" and by "figuring it out", whatever "it" may be, you experience pure, natural feelings of joy! If psych's induced euphoria, then there would be no such thing as a bad trip.

Having done tons of both I must agree... but that forced MDMA/Methylone euphoria is SO much more intense... at least I FEEL it more in an intensely physical way.

THAT'S IT!

I feel the psychedelic euphoria in my heart and mind, with overflow effects into the body.

I feel the amphetamine euphoria in my body, with overflow effects into my heart and mind.

I would say they are both "real' in their own way. Cant really say which I "prefer." I like them both for different reasons. Sorry!

I smoked dmt then took lsd/mdma and realised that YOU are GOD and I am in YOUR head to TRICK you that YOU are NOT god. If all is one then there is only one awareness and all this is your "joker trick"

I smoked dmt then took lsd/mdma and realised that YOU are GOD and I am in YOUR head to TRICK you that YOU are NOT god. If all is one then there is only one awareness and all this is your "joker trick"

Uh-Oh. :X

We better find this clown and lock him up in an asylum. 8o

He knows too much! <3

(P.S. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!!!)

Holy crap, this was my 333rd post... I wonder what THAT means! Strange Coincidence... half the number of The Beast!

Today, 00:45 #14
DwayneHoover
Bluelighter

This exactly. I've had euphoria on LSD that 500 mgs of MDMA couldn't even hope to touch. Its just a different type of euphoria with IMO much more real backing to it(idk about you but euphoria on psychedelics comes with revelations/connections made etc. and they are the backing of the euphoria). MDMA's just seems random and reasonless too me. Also Dwayne you living in fucking cinci?(cleveland here!)

Both feel really good on my body and it's physical senses along with my mind in the sense of an obviously altered thought stream.

What MDMA does like nothing else seems to be able to for me is provide what I would call physical blasts of euphoria that I can only explain as "I'M ROLLING!!!".

Stronger psychedelic agents give me something that I personally like better, which is the connection of a shitload of thoughts into a sort of "eureka!" moment.

Now we all know what happens when you let both of these types shine at once haha, I can't wait until the next time I have an appropriate chance to troll.

This exactly. I've had euphoria on LSD that 500 mgs of MDMA couldn't even hope to touch. Its just a different type of euphoria with IMO much more real backing to it(idk about you but euphoria on psychedelics comes with revelations/connections made etc. and they are the backing of the euphoria). MDMA's just seems random and reasonless too me. Also Dwayne you living in fucking cinci?(cleveland here!)

I agree psychedelic euphoria seems deeper in a way... however, originating from the mind and heart is not necessarily "superior"... both "organs" are well capable of becoming delusional. Whereas the body perhaps at time is more "honest." And the MDMA (and Methylone, and other amphet-like chem) based euphoria that wells up from an origin in the body, it CAN proceed to trigger the "deeper" euphoria to follow from the heart/mind... there are theories that we hold lots of emotional tension from our entire lives in our joints and muscles... perhaps by creating a body-based euphoria, amphet-based euphoria, even though it may be "forced and artificial", can dissolve these knots of emotional tension in the body, and actually have a genuine spiritual/mental/emotional healing effect. Perhaps this is one reason why especially good & strong MDMA will leave people with a deeply profound sense of "LOVING THE ENTIRE WORLD", which they feel is real and teaches them alot... even though it began as an artificial "amphet-based forced euphoria." In other words, the latter CAN ultimately lead to a cascade of downstream effects that are NOT "shallow and fake" but in fact highly true and rewarding in a sense as deep as that from psychedelics.

I wonder if the arguments saying psychedelic euphoria is more "real" are just coming from some psychedelic "bigots" (please dont take offense, just used that word for emphasis, OK?) who simply revere "their" preferred drug over MDMA, etc.

Actually, the original question was which do YOU PREFER AND WHY... not which is somehow "better" or "more real" or "less fake" etc. I think we will learn more from this topic if we avoid such judgementalism, and just say which we like most and why we like it so much.... NOT what we dislike about the other choice... seems to be a bit venal and generative of bad vibes, opposite of the potential of the topic, right?

(Help?!?!: Cool you're in Cleveland (I guess). Yes, I am in Cinci area... don't wanna be too specific, ya know. I have family up in the Youngstown vicinity (which I came to Cinci to escape... horrible area... armpit of the US... bleh)... go up there to visit them now and then, just an hour from Cleveland. PM me if you want to chat more about personal meet-n-greet one of these days.)

I don't think empathogen-derived euphoria is 'fake' or 'forced' in any way; just unsustainable. This is because it's just given to you free of charge, whereas with psychedelics there's more of a learning process involved and the euphoria is something you have to earn, generally speaking.

I think the actual content of the euphoria is very similar between psychedelics & empathogens. I don't see how anybody could describe MDMA euphoria as fake, or any less real than psychedelic euphoria. I definitely think psychedelics are more valuable, though.

Having done tons of both I must agree... but that forced MDMA/Methylone euphoria is SO much more intense... at least I FEEL it more in an intensely physical way.

i disagree. Teh psychedelic euphoria is much more intense.
LSD and DMT have brought me to tears from the amount of joy i was feeling, MDMA couldnt touch that.

Here's an analogy I came up with earlier. I love analogies. :p I know drugs and their effects usually can't be compared, but I like trying sometimes anyway.

Amphetamine euphoria is like getting a massage.

Psychedelic euphoria is like finally learning a song on the guitar that you've been trying for years to learn.

A massage is easy. An external source is making you feel euphoric, a kind of "Oh I feel so good right now" kind of feeling and you don't have to do anything to get it. The feeling is instantaneous, and happens constantly and intensely for a while....however it ends just as quickly and abruptly as it started. When it's over, you may have a short-lasting feeling of satisfaction, but that will soon go away simply leaving you wanting another massage. You can keep going back and getting more massages, but they get less and less satisfying every time, and eventually they will either lose their value completely, or worse, you won't be able to get through the day without a massage. In the end, going for massage after massage gains you nothing but a hole in your wallet.

However, if you learn a song after trying for so long, you get a euphoria that comes from the inside, a kind of "I'm so happy right now" feeling, and you feel like you earned it. The initial heightened state of euphoria will wear off after knowing the song for a while, but it will never completely leave you. You can't unlearn the song, and simply knowing that you know how to play that song will induce its own euphoria any time you think about it. You will also feel encouraged to learn more and use this new knowledge and experience to achieve new goals and reach new levels, like playing with a band, cutting your first album, playing your first show, etc.. There will be a new euphoria with each new experience, each time better than the last and each experience will contribute to the next.