• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Pregabalin withdrawal

Mizotlangval

Bluelighter
I've been doing pregabalin 1500mg everyfay for the past 3/4 weeks ,if i stop cold turkey will i have withdrawal?
Do i need to go see a doctor ? I could if i have to..

... if i stop cold turkey will i have withdrawal?
My best guess from personal experience? Yes.
If one can, go see the doctor as this should be tapered down for sure. More than likely it will be a quick taper but everyone is different as it would only feel like another walk in the park for this addict as it is always a WD in some fasion but these days it is mild and short lived.
Does on have any pregab left to execute ones own taper?
Best,
Ptah

Have you been addicted to pregabalin before? Or phenibut or gabapentin?

If you haven't it wont be that that bad. Or rather it could range from not that bad to pretty bad. Probably not medically dangerous though possibly so if predisposed. You'll certainly feel something.

But id either recommend going to a physician and explain the situation and ask for a 4 week gabapentin taper (900mg/day for week, followed by 600mg/day/week, 300mg/day/week, 150mg/day/week), or do the same with phenibut at 3g/2g/1g/500mg day/week schedule.

You might not need it but you might. Depends how sensitive you are and if youve been addicted. The insomnia and anxiety can be rough. I find the insomnia is worse than the anxiety with stuff like gabapentin/phenibut/pregabalin.

You will be fine. Glad you were able to see this doctor please do not let the clonazepam take over as that would be a more serious withdrawal, IMO. So... quick taper and only use the clon as needed.
Best,
Ptah

I have to agree with my colleagues here. Withdrawal from Gabapentinoids can be just as hellish as Alcohol/Benzos. Can the withdrawal be fatal, I am unsure.

Like a lot of drugs, we really don't have a great understanding of how these drugs exert their effects. I have a long history of Gabapentinoid usage. They helped me get off other shit.

While they can be abused and are addictive blah blah blah, they can be problematic. I'm biased of course, but I subscribed to this logic:

If a Gabapentinoid allows an Alcoholic stop drinking, who gives a fuck? This is Harm Reduction; textbook even. Being dependent upon Pregabalin is typically a radically positive improvement over Alcohol or ither drugs.

Most prescribers will not even consider this. I've seen people in actual Delirium Tremens. It is hard to understand how such an expensive, extensive education can produce physicians with such utterly retarded values.

If a Gabapentinoid allows an Alcoholic stop drinking, who gives a fuck? This is Harm Reduction; textbook even. Being dependent upon Pregabalin is typically a radically positive improvement over Alcohol or ither drugs.

I feel the same with all potentially addictive drugs. The media, and sadly too often even actual doctors, like to paint it like being on any type of habit forming substance is always bad.

But they reject the nuances.

Someone taking oxy or H every day just to get high would be better off if they quit, yes. And they may well need subs to do that. That's an improvement in quality of life regardless of the fact they're technically still on an opioid.

Someone who has severe anxiety may well be better off with a prescription for benzodiazepines. Is it possible they will become dependent? Very much so. But if this person is using them as prescribed and their quality of life is greatly increased, who cares?

Someone with chronic pain may well have a better outcome in life if they're on daily opioids due to being more functional and more able to get a job, even if they are, as a result, opioid dependent. Note that opioid dependent and opioid addict are different things entirely. Most pain patients are not junkies.

It is so strange to me that we have this arbitrary distinction where we don't care about drugs causing severe dependence just as long as they're not considered recreational. They will hand out SSRIs and even antipsychotics to basically anyone. The withdrawal (sorry, discontinuation syndrome) from these can easily rival benzos. But the docs don't actually care about this, they know you won't catch a buzz so here get physically hooked on it all you want.

I remember when pregabalin was still patented and uncontrolled here. Every doctor couldn't wait to get me on it and told me it was very safe, non-addictive, and had no side effects or withdrawals. I can only imagine the only source of information they had on the substance was Pfizer's marketing materials. Only after Pfizer's patent expired did they suddenly decide to schedule pregabalin, declare it addictive, and have doctors reduce the number of prescriptions. Funny that.

But it just shows how the system is. When they thought this drug couldn't be abused they were happy to chuck it at everyone, side effects and withdrawals be damned (apparently they didn't exist, and when was the last time a doctor warned you an SSRI can cause withdrawals?). Suddenly they realise people can in fact get high on this shit? Nope, lock that shit down.

I do think the way pregabalin was just needlessly handed out to anyone who wanted it was reminiscent of the OxyContin situation in the US. But I also think doctors blocking patients from getting what very well could be the right medication for them to live a functional life because they fucked up by buying into marketing and overprescribing it is just as much of a mistake. Why punish patients for it?

Also, c'mon, medical cannabis, where is it already? Safer than anything in the pharmacy.

They will hand out SSRIs and even antipsychotics to basically anyone. The withdrawal (sorry, discontinuation syndrome) from these can easily rival benzos.
Oh my god/ess.
Would absolutely hate to see a psychotic in discontinuation syndrome from his/her meds as the benzo WD is certainly a psychotic episode for me when cessation is abrupt... could not imagine the double-timed mind-fuck that would ensue.
Great reading, guys, and though provoking.
One

and he wrote me a taper
How is this going today, bud?

Oh my god/ess.
Would absolutely hate to see a psychotic in discontinuation syndrome from his/her meds as the benzo WD is certainly a psychotic episode for me when cessation is abrupt... could not imagine the double-timed mind-fuck that would ensue.

I went through severe benzo withdrawal while heavily abusing stimulants, it was pure madness. Thought I'd never be the same, and in some regards, im probably not. That degree of madness is something you cant forget. I was convinced my body was infested with parasites. I went to take a shit and a swarm of biting flies flew out and attacked me. I wore multiple layers of gloves constantly and even gloves on my feet. Pure terror.

Thought I'd never be the same, and in some regards, im probably not.
I know I ain't the same. Shiiiiiit, as much as I do love my benzos I would bet on it that I wouldn't ever get stuck like that again. I never say never as soon as I do all hell breaks loose. And I don't bet... lose every time or I would rather spend the money before I lose it. lol

I've been doing pregabalin 1500mg everyfay for the past 3/4 weeks ,if i stop cold turkey will i have withdrawal?
Do i need to go see a doctor ? I could if i have to..
I got addicted to pregab, I first started it recreationally at around 300mgs and went upto 600mgs. Took them for about 2yrs, took them only 5 days a week and had a break on a weekend, thinking this will be ok as they only have a short half life.
As I was upto 600mg though, they must have stayed in my system longer, the higher the dose the longer it stays in your system, I stopped cold turkey. I ended up nearly 5h1tt1ng the bed, I had a w3t f4rt in bed, sorry for too much information.
Luckily pregabalin is water soluble and knowing withdrawal from tapers is horrible on this drug, I dissolved my pregab in a jar of the same amount of water each day and took an amount out each day with a syringe, I dosed 4 times a day. As the dose got smaller the cuts got smaller and although I was addicted to Benzos I got off pregab painlessly.
Benzos don't help pregab withdraws.
I don't know if I would risk cold turkey at such a high dose, but you could use the method above, syringes can be got hold of easily, as can glass jars. I kept mine in the fridge I think,I cant remember, but It was a painless if long taper.

Benzos lessen pregabalin significantly...

I was on 900mg/day of pregabalin a day. Tapered to 300mg then switched to gabapentin. Finally got off of that. I felt absolutely fine during the day. The only problem was that i couldn't sleep...this went on for months...an hour or two a night. I caved in and got some phenibut. That was four years ago and im still on phenibut. I wish i had gotten some seroquel at said till the GABAergic ability to sleep returned...

Yea Wilson, this is an interaction that Ive been studying into the very late hours of the early afternoon.

Ive taken Benzodiazepines for what I feel was Gabapentinoid withdrawal and they are not majorly cross-tolerant. My belief is that the effects of Benzodiazepines help medicate our symptoms, like they might in any situation, but I think the effect is secondary. Id really like to know.