• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Art Post some ART that you're feeling today - and why?

1982_hesse_13_retrospective-drawings_untitled_b.jpg

Eva Hesse. one of her many graph paper drawings in reference to her sculptural works. pairing down to our raw emotions through line and texture. she was ahead of her time and left us way to early.

this reminds me a lot of the imagery in my head reading huxley's island

Frans Post, scene in Dutch Brazil; painted in 1662, some years after the colony was lost.
Frans_Post_-_Gezicht_op_Olinda%2C_Brazili%C3%AB.jpg

i like the clean lines and contrasts and the sense of lightness in this painting

Pieter Jansz Saenredam, Assendelft Church, 1649, with the gravestone of his father in the foreground.
Assetimage.jpg

the capturing of personality and character in this picture is what appeals to me

The Haarlem Painter's Guild in 1675, by Jan de Bray, whose self-portrait is the second from the left
Jan_de_Bray_002.jpg

that's awesome, Kenickie! there's a nonprofit wrapping up a similar project downtown in a city that's not quite hip like atlanta. wandering around on lunch, i always wanna get a photo of them and the scaffolding and all that. i wouldn't do anything more than tweet it and it's one nonprofit to another, so i don't care about getting anything signed. but it's a bunch college kid looking painters. i'm afraid that they either won't know if it's alright for me to promote the photo and i'll just be interrupting. or they will say yes and then the next day i'll get a call from one of their directors asking me whatthefuck i think i'm doing. anyway, it's a big-budget nonprofit and the pieces are huge, but the art is not nearly as cool as in your video. much more conservative. doves and stuff like that--we have to concentrate really hard on not shooting each other. the pieces in the above video have a much more raw, open feel. again, awesome.

now i'm trying to creative google to find out if they stole our line up like every mural festival does these days. the results of this are disappointing. what is the deal with that city's shitty art? and shitty websites. no wonder you're shooting each other. not to boast or anything but ours is boss.

what's your obsession with hiding? i'll find you one day, hydros. my hope is that you're revealed to actually be princess beatrice or that other princess from denmark or whatever.

we're getting ready to go to Art Basel, and figuring out next year's line up. I would really like Aryz to attend.

tumblr_mregk2im801qda0elo1_500.jpg

he did a collab with the twins - but it's not that good, because the twins part is stupid.

tumblr_mrgf511tR71r8sxz6o1_500.jpg

tumblr_mnp7teq0gq1rkieexo1_500.jpg

"Xiaowan employs multiple layers of tinted glass and colorful pencils to transform 2D paintings into 3D images which he calls “spatial paintings”.

annapopartbysdreyfus.jpg

i'm not really sure who this is by. the internet. tracking it down dead ends at the account handle sdreyfus on a site called 8tracks.com. i don't know if that person made the image or was just the first to post it on a well SEO'd website.

i'm feeling it because it is absurdly pop. might as well attribute it to tumblr. not in any direct collaboration, it is the product of multiple artists. raoul coutard, anna, godard, the rest of a film crew, the team who restored and transferred the film to digital, whoever created a specific screencap with defined resolution and saturation, whoever designed the font type, and finally whoever put all these elements together. while this new piece uses the older as a base, that base has also been skewed. through a combination of intention and unintended/unavoidable compression & distortion. the latter resulting from degradation as the file was reformatted and passed through channels. the mix of chronology, medium, generation, and nation is reflected in the copy, which is likely an adaptation of a line where anna's character complains about the disparity between books and life. and that adaptation is likely inspired by a translation of the original french dialogue.

also i relate to the sentiment, enjoy the image of anna, and recently attended a seminar on typography.