• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

☮ Social ☮ PD Social Distancing Talk Thread: Swirly Congregation That's 100% Pandemic-Proof

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very interesting stuff man, I've been growing on and off for a few years now, just starting to get back into it and considering my second attempt at a bulk grow. Last time wasn't bulk but I don't think I allowed enough time for 100% consolidation because i got barely any fruits/pins despite everything looking good on the outside. Talking like 1-2g dry weight total. Major bummer. Sucks that I'm in a different climate now, seriously slows down growth way more than I anticipated. When I was on the West coast these things exploded. I'd consider incubation but if I get enough batches going at once it shouldn't make a difference, right? Or is yield proportionally related to how quickly colonization takes place?

Would be very interested to hear more about this fog/mycoponics and any other mush growing techiniques/thoughts you might have. What does the packaging stuff turn out like? I think we could generate some great discussion around here, hopefully nobody minds!

Hey mox!

Yeah it's weird how some of these hobbies can just go away and pick up again... but for me plenty of interests see some rich days due to me not having major problems anymore and still time to spare (though I help out at two very cool places now)..

I assume you are talking about Cubensis, they do have a consolidation period prescribed which is not all that long. But actually if you look at gourmet mushrooms there are bunches that have ripening periods of often a month long or sometimes even several, so yeah that is after the colonization. Hard to say really why you had such a poor grow, I'd need quite some descriptions of what's going on at different points during the process.
At this rate I am getting more experienced with gourmet species perhaps, also because it kind of feels like most are a step up from Cubensis... so I am not an authority on Cubes anyway.

If by incubation you mean consolidation then sure a few days up to a week should be good, typically I'd say incubation means letting a culture run on agar or just letting spawn or bulk substrate colonize which is not really optional. Getting enough batches going making no difference, do you mean if you do a lot of tries at the same time there should be some successes among them? Well while redundancy is used to keep things under control, I don't think it is a way to offset bad grows where you are not really sure what the problem is - you'd better find out what the problem is instead so that you don't waste a lot of time and resources.

I don't remember much about having to trigger pinning on Cubensis esp in difficult ways, but I am finding out more and more about the intricacies with gourmet mushrooms and how they do require it, usually by cooling.

Yield is not related to colonization rate afaik except maybe there is a correlation between the two when it is due to general vigor... but say with gourmet mushrooms on wood you can get quicker fruits pumped out when using fine sawdust whereas the bigger coarser wood chips you use the longer it will keep growing and fruiting and the potential yield may go up but it can take a lot of time and seems pretty inefficient to try and capitalize on that - the best seems to be a moderate mix with most of it still being on the finer side.

The mycoponics just involve using humid CO2 rich air exhausted from growing mushrooms to grow plants, for me especially plants which love unusually humid climates. Though still the air probably needs to be dehumidified / only partially let in etc because otherwise it would be too humid for plants (like Novo's and kratom). It is not an original idea apparently but that doesn't matter. For me at home it would be awesome and where I work it can still serve as a pretty sweet installation although for a demo I have a much different design in mind, more integrated.

You can check out the packaging from Ecovative: https://shop.ecovativedesign.com/collections/packaging

I'd be totally down for some more discussion, on what we'd have to narrow that down? Here is the shroom cultivation thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/showthread.php?t=378996 but of course it is not meant for gourmet growing talk, there are subthreads like for magic truffles which I am also working on, but apparently not yet for woodlovers which is a bigger challenge and bigger focus for me. Anyway if you post there I'll join you. People who wanna IM about growing mushrooms can PM me.

Cool that you are getting into it too Xorkoth! I am growing shiitake right now for first time I think, among various other species, actually got a nice fruit now but the others are waiting possibly because I didn't induce pinning right.
Interesting that chicken of the woods is so good to you! I was doing research earlier this week and found out it causes brown rot rather than white rot which refers to a different set of enzymes and a different preference for the 3 major components of wood (cellulose, hemicellulose and lignin). To me this is interesting because this way by selecting the right species you can more selectively break down one or two of those components. Great if you are trying to grow on waste materials which are made of mostly one of those materials... which is what I am working on.

The life cycle of most of these sorts of fungi is similar for the biggest part but there can be differences in how spores are released which is sort of a detail though it helps to identify mushrooms. Very simply put you need at least two spores to germinate and form a network of strands called a mycelium (by feeding on substrate or medium), when these meet they can mate, a bit like a sperm and egg but more equal (gender equality ftw). The resulting mycelium is genetically 'unified' then and is now able to reproduce sexually itself. Resources are gathered in knots which then turn into pins (primordiae) which are "pre-mushrooms". These are then mostly inflated with water and the development is finished so that they can release spores. So the mycelium is the body of the fungus usually invisible in the ground and mushrooms are merely the sex organs spreading progeny.

Propagation of fungi can happen in different ways, two major ones being:
- you can put a big amount of spores on a medium (meaning agar petri dish here), or substrate. With agar you can clean this up, by transfering small pieces of mycelium a few times you can isolate a winning set of genetics out of the ones that germinated from the spores... they can combine if they are compatible in a process called anastomosis... so they have a big brawl and the winning cultures can be picked. If you clean this up you create a monoculture - one set of genetics means more reliable grows, however it is impossible to predict what you are really getting at this stage so you'll have to test.
- you can take a mushroom and under sterile conditions take out a piece of it from the inside where nothing could have infected it, then if you put this on agar it will grow into a mycelium and you will have cloned it. This is a common way to work with wild mushrooms but you can also make a spore print and use the spores as described.

So if you trade or buy, cultures are just pieces of mycelium. Liquid culture is mycelium drifting in a liquid.

Not sure if you can buy chicken of the woods spawn, if so you don't need to know the life cycle and you don't need to propagate, just grow. :) Propagating yourself involves the agar etc. Spawn plugs in logs is pretty easy. But there are also intermediate levels like using spawn to colonize more spawn you sterilized or pasteurized yourself in a pressure cooker.

I think I have that John Lilly book lol

I just finished painting my office a dusty purple color. It looks awesome. :) I have a lot of home improvements planned for this year, I painted my living room a couple of weeks ago. Next up I'm gonna rip up this shitty flooring I have in here and put in some nice tile. Or maybe hardwood to match the rest of my house.

Oh man I did a bit of a combo of 3-MeO-PCP and 3-HO-PCP and phenibut and man have I been feeling good all evening and night. I got into some art I made that I hadn't looked at for years but used to be a huge part of my life, and I spent hours and hours painting and decorating my office with art with my girlfriend. We had lots of fun but I am feeling really flowy and inspired and she eventually got tired and I'm still wide awake. I'm really happy about this room though, the color looks really nice and I'm hanging up arrangements of art and I think I'm gonna get some track lighting so I can point 2 or 3 lights at the walls.

Good luck dude. Take care of yourself.

Damn I stayed up til like 5:30am... feeling drained today. After careful consideration I took a bit more of the combo (minus phenibut which I have an afterglow from already anyway) and I'm feeling quite lovely again... gonna do a bit of work and then decorate my office with art. :) Maybe go out and buy a paint color for my shelves and do that too.

im good.
im def seeing the upbeats this weekend too.
i shouldnt have any probs getting a few tabs either there or before neither.
i guarantee ill see this one kid from DC there i got tabs off before
upbeats on acid is gonna be lit. thats all i do when i go out, no K no MD.
shit i might cop some weed today tho real shit

Hey mox!

You can check out the packaging from Ecovative: https://shop.ecovativedesign.com/collections/packaging

I'd be totally down for some more discussion, on what we'd have to narrow that down? Here is the shroom cultivation thread: http://www.bluelight.org/vb/showthread.php?t=378996 but of course it is not meant for gourmet growing talk, there are subthreads like for magic truffles which I am also working on, but apparently not yet for woodlovers which is a bigger challenge and bigger focus for me. Anyway if you post there I'll join you. People who wanna IM about growing mushrooms can PM me.
Damn that is some really cool packaging. Here's hoping I start seeing that in place of styrofoam, maybe in the time between it and that nanowood stuff I'm hearing about now haha.

Anyway I posted in the mush subthread, hope to see you there!

I just checked out that packaging website, and wow, that's so cool! It's awesome to see that people are working on sustainable solutions to real-world problems where unsustainable practices are happening. If the price could ever be made to not only be competitive but outperform styrofoam/plastics, it could really start to have an impact. Unfortunately at the moment I think wide adoption would be unlikely simply because from a profit standpoint, there's no incentive to change.

Soooo.... Anyone going to see Shulgin on bycicle day?

Yeah I'm planning on crossing into the spirit world on bicycle day for sure, and part of my intention is definitely to drop by Shulgin's afterlife abode and say hello.

Last edited:
Unfortunately most styrofoam/plastics are really pretty sustainable... people are just crap at recycling

From what I understand, although styrofoam IS recyclable, the vast majority of places don't recycle it so it ends up in the landfill even if you put it in your recycling. A variety of items don't get recycled in most areas (in the US anyway, I don't know about other countries) that you would think do get recycled, such as plastic grocery bags... and styrofoam.

Xor so you're going to one of the three shows? You going bycicle day or one of the days after?

Feeling fucking horrible since my surgery. I swear it's complications from the surgery, but my doctor claims it's the flu. Sure doesn't feel like the flu, tho I understand why it would outwardly look like it. Vomiting, nausea, chills, no fever. Can't hold food down.

Was told today that it's not my oncologist's problem, tho, and to see my primary care doctor.

So fucking tired of feeling awful all the time.

I know you guys appreciate updates, wish I had better news.

Idgaf broskis i'm gonna be wrecked when i'm in DC
i smoked weed last night kickin it with my man and his baby mom, i was fucked up cause i dont smoke
DC weed is legal but theres no stores but i'll be in southeast so i guarantee you itll take all of 5 minutes to get me some
the upbeats is gonna be live bro i'll smoke before i go in and if budget permits i'll have L.
i need this refund shit is half spent tho before i get it cause i'm gonna hit the penguin game and stay in the burgh a few days

Man you guys... it's getting hard to deal with my girl's depression sometimes lately. This past weekend was pretty good, we had fun times, but I went to her house last night and god, I feel so depressed today. She was having a bad night for sure, she basically just wanted to sit and stare at the wall and endlessly loop through negative thoughts about herself. It makes me feel really intensely bad regularly seeing her like that and it rubs off on me and I fucking hate that. This is my second serious adult relationship and both of them have been really depressed. And both of them did not seem that way when we met and have gotten increasingly so over time. What the fuck man? The last one took it out on me and it made it, eventually after much horribleness, really easy to end it with her, because I despised her by then and I felt relieved to be free. This time is totally different, if I break up with her it's gonna be really painful and I'll miss her terribly and still worry about her anyway, and being with her is painful right now too. I really hope she can get past it, she doesn't believe she can though so what the fuck am I supposed to do? I'm gonna start to get exhausted soon... :|

Feeling fucking horrible since my surgery. I swear it's complications from the surgery, but my doctor claims it's the flu. Sure doesn't feel like the flu, tho I understand why it would outwardly look like it. Vomiting, nausea, chills, no fever. Can't hold food down.

Was told today that it's not my oncologist's problem, tho, and to see my primary care doctor.

So fucking tired of feeling awful all the time.

I know you guys appreciate updates, wish I had better news.

Man that sucks. :( Hopefully it's just the flu.

I feel you man. Depression and the self-blame that comes with it is truly exhausting. And if you're having any hard time while providing support, you can't even express that without it taking a serious toll on them, even if there's no blame there they create it and dwell on it. It's just brutal

Status
Not open for further replies.