• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates - the Cure for Depression?

IF you could find an opiate that you could take once and have the effects last forever... then yes you likely would have the most perfect antidepressant ever. However, that is not the case. Because Soon you start needing more, and then your tolerance increases. Then weak opiates don't work for you anymore so you take stronger stuff, with different ROA. This all begins to cost a lot of money so you wipe out your savings. Begin stealing from family and friends to maintain it. You get sick when you don't take it, and then when you do take it the magical effect is gone, now you just feel the way you felt before you ever started taking them in the first place but if you want to at least continue to feel that good you better continue to take it which now costs more money than ever before. Now you have destroyed your life hurt the people you love and ruined your credibility. SO it just is not a long term solution. But you likely fall into the same boat as most of us. I was born D1 dopamine deficient. So the second I tried opiates it was game over for me. It filled the gap that I had been missing for so long. For people who are born dopamine deficient it is kind of unfair because we will never be as happy as people born with it. But there are other RX options to fix this, unfortunately I was young the first time I tried opiates and didn't know the danger. It literally cost me everything except for my life. And sometimes I wish it had taken that too.

^^^You can't say " IF you find an opiate and take one to last forever." That is an impossible hypothetical. Your opiate receptors would upregulate and you would be "sober" again in about 1.5-2 days. Your body is excellent at adapting to natural environmental influences. Especially opiates.

But God do i love em. I'm addicted

Na its called chipping and i have seen a few ppl do it successfully. So not EVERYONE ends up addicted thats kinda drug war properganda. Still not good to try.
In my experience, a "successful" chipper generally just means that they haven't screwed up ...yet. You can get away with doing it without become immediately addicted, of course. But for anybody who takes it even just somewhat regularly (even just a couple times a month), it's really just a matter of time.

And it's the people who convince themselves that they're just treating a problem of theirs (whether it's real or imagined, doesn't matter at all) that inevitably fare the worst. Not only is treating depression only a couple times a month pretty much pointless (and certainly doesn't warrant such a huge risk of both debilitating addiction and worsening the depression), but sticking to such a strict schedule will prove impossible when you experience such intense relief from said problems - who wants to keep experiencing crippling depression for most of the month when the cure is right in front of you, and, as the OP put it himself, you "find it extremely pleasurable also." Opiates are an amazing seductress and a very cruel temptress like that, and paired with the way these drugs hijack and rewire the reward pathways in your brain, you start rationalizing increasing their use just a *little* bit more often even when the rational part of your brain is not only fully prepared for this to happen but you know damn well that the "*little* bit more often" has added up to way to often. Not only when you might not know better, but even despite the fact you actually damn well do know better - that's how great these drugs are at short-circuiting the parts of your brain that normally allow you to act responsibly and with your own best interests in mind... and this is all not simply idle speculation but rather has been demonstrated convincingly in the scientific and medical literature. This is why self-control is little more than a crazy illusion when it comes to long-, intermediate-, and even shorter-term exceeding one-time (of even intermittent) opiate usage, as many users can doubtlessly personally attest.

^^^You can't say " IF you find an opiate and take one to last forever." That is an impossible hypothetical. Your opiate receptors would upregulate and you would be "sober" again in about 1.5-2 days. Your body is excellent at adapting to natural environmental influences. Especially opiates.

You can hardly call an opiate a "natural" environmental influence. I mean yeah, opiates dude lmao, but it's not like we evolved to deal with exogenous chemicals mimicking our natural endorphins.

Too bad when you run out you will be more miserable then you ever where before. The anti-depressant effect from opiates does not last very long at all. I have been on opiates for pain for maybe a decade now and although they still help my pain that's all they do really unless i stay off for a few days and let my tolerance go down abit or take a huge dose to get high which is not a good idea at all.

You did not quote me correctly, what I was saying was the same thing as the thread I made a while back. If there was a magical pill that existed that made you feel opiate high forever and you only had to take it once, indeed it would be effective, but everything that goes along with opiate addiction is what makes it impossible for this to work with current medical technology.

I found I was lookin for this effect, though I knew what he result would be. Well, now that I'm a junkie and on a methadone program, I do get anti-depressant effects from it and the tolerance doesn't sky rocket like natural opiates due to NMDA receptor antagonism. Give it a try if you're already strung out.

You did not quote me correctly, what I was saying was the same thing as the thread I made a while back. If there was a magical pill that existed that made you feel opiate high forever and you only had to take it once, indeed it would be effective, but everything that goes along with opiate addiction is what makes it impossible for this to work with current medical technology.

He clicked quote and got an exact replication of your post, how is that not "quoting your correctly"? If your ideas do not stand the test of analysis without being surrounded by your contextual excuses and other linguistic tricks then they fail on their own merit and by extension so do you. I mean just because we're talking about opiates dude lmao doesn't mean we can just say whatever we feel like and expect everyone to not examine our statements.

"IF you could find an opiate that you could take once and have the effects last forever"

" IF you find an opiate and take one to last forever."

you sure about that rio?

"IF you could find an opiate that you could take once and have the effects last forever"

" IF you find an opiate and take one to last forever."

you sure about that rio?

so what dude? He omitted the words "the effects" but didn't change the meaning of the statement at all. you just cant face the fact that his criticism was valid dude and you think you know everything there is to know about opiates dude lmao

lol, what are you talking about? I don't think I ever implied I know everything about opiates. The criticism was not valid because you can not criticize something that does not exist. And even if you did and you want to get into creative writing analysis I was the one that invented the made up magical imaginary pill so I can make up everything else in the false universe it exists in.

I was simply saying opiates can not be used in this function because no such pill exists.

And the quote holds a different meaning when all of the text is deleted, mine implied that if a pill existed that you could take once and you would always feel the effects. (again hypothetical) then it would make a great AD.

so what dude? He omitted the words "the effects" but didn't change the meaning of the statement at all. you just cant face the fact that his criticism was valid dude and you think you know everything there is to know about opiates dude lmao
I think he's referring to the difference between saying "if you find" and saying "if you could find", and with that in mind it's actually easy to see what he's talking about, so the trash-talking and belittling are kind of unnecessary...

lol, what are you talking about? I don't think I ever implied I know everything about opiates. The criticism was not valid because you can not criticize something that does not exist. And even if you did and you want to get into creative writing analysis I was the one that invented the made up magical imaginary pill so I can make up everything else in the false universe it exists in.

I was simply saying opiates can not be used in this function because no such pill exists.

And the quote holds a different meaning when all of the text is deleted, mine implied that if a pill existed that you could take once and you would always feel the effects. (again hypothetical) then it would make a great AD.

Why do you keep insisting that you're the final authority on opiates dude lmao? An everlasting opiate would be a terrible idea! You'd die of constipation, for a start. Everlasting dreamy bliss isn't exactly conducive to a functioning society, either. And yet here you are pretending you know what's best! "Lets all stop cancer research and just look for opiates so I can get high for longer"! Do you know how selfish you sound dude? No offence, I'm sure you're a respectful & religious guy in real life, but these statements are just getting more outlandish and ridiculous.

I think he's referring to the difference between saying "if you find" and saying "if you could find", and with that in mind it's actually easy to see what he's talking about, so the trash-talking and belittling are kind of unnecessary...

You have a point there. Yet again, it takes a Canadian to point out that I'm missing the forest from the trees. However, as an opiate addict yourself, it's not as if you're the guru of responsible use either, are you?

Thank you, and ya I was not trying to make a post that would get anybody upset...

Why do you keep insisting that you're the final authority on opiates dude lmao? An everlasting opiate would be a terrible idea! You'd die of constipation, for a start. Everlasting dreamy bliss isn't exactly conducive to a functioning society, either. And yet here you are pretending you know what's best! "Lets all stop cancer research and just look for opiates so I can get high for longer"! Do you know how selfish you sound dude? No offence, I'm sure you're a respectful & religious guy in real life, but these statements are just getting more outlandish and ridiculous.

I am sorry if I offended you somehow with my posts... I don't know how I ever implied any of those claims you are making against me at all. If anyone else thinks that I am claiming to know everything about opiates, that we should stop cancer research, or that this hypothetical pill I made up to make a point makes me selfish. Please tell me and I will re-think how I post. But I really did not think that such a simple albeit silly post that I made would cause such an uproar with you Rio. This thread has been de-railed enough I guess. I don't want to detract from the OP.

You have a point there. Yet again, it takes a Canadian to point out that I'm missing the forest from the trees. However, as an opiate addict yourself, it's not as if you're the guru of responsible use either, are you?
What the fuck are you even on about now? When did I ever claim to be a shining example of responsible use? Just the opposite, in fact... which is a big part of why I keep insisting that simply intending to "use responsibly" is likely only setting oneself up for failure.

What the fuck are you even on about now? When did I ever claim to be a shining example of responsible use? Just the opposite, in fact... which is a big part of why I keep insisting that simply intending to "use responsibly" is likely only setting oneself up for failure.

I'm just saying that you're not the Messiah of opiate use, as is belied by your addiction, and that you'd perhaps be the last person someone should turn to for advice on how to use responsibly in an anti-depressant capacity. Now is not the time for profanity and insults, and I'd appreciate it if you treat me with the respect I treat you. Getting defensive about your addiction only makes you seem in denial. Are you aware of the first step of the twelve steps of Narcotics Anonymous? Also funny how it was another poster with a good memory who had to point out that less than four weeks ago you were claiming you had self-control over opiates, and yet here you are, an addict and still preaching that you know best.

I am sorry if I offended you somehow with my posts... I don't know how I ever implied any of those claims you are making against me at all. If anyone else thinks that I am claiming to know everything about opiates, that we should stop cancer research, or that this hypothetical pill I made up to make a point makes me selfish. Please tell me and I will re-think how I post. But I really did not think that such a simple albeit silly post that I made would cause such an uproar with you Rio. This thread has been de-railed enough I guess. I don't want to detract from the OP.

Well at least you know what you've done wrong and I accept your apology. Now, tell me, did you suffer from depression predating your drug use?