• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Opiates - the Cure for Depression?

shehasaname

Greenlighter
[Everything written below is fictional and done for the purpose of artistic expression]

First of all, in order for me to get my point across I would like for the reader to temporarily silence the nagging voices which are telling them about the addictive nature and abuse potential and the nightmarish withdrawals of opiates. Yes.
But just think about where we are in terms of scientific and medical progression. We may believe we are nearing the peak, but we have no idea about the cause - let alone the cure - for common neurological disorders such as epilepsy, an illness which affects millions of people around the world.

Our consciousness tells us we are intelligent beings, even that we have souls, but science can’t even tell us yet how the conscious mind originated.

Let me tell you about my experience, and make of it what you will, but do your best to keep an open mind.
I have always been an anxious child, very worried about others around me and about happenings which I didn’t understand or could impact. I will leave out the detailed context, but a lot of changes came about around me as I grew older, and I was increasingly affected over the years by, what I recognise now as depression.

I have just turned 19, and again there is a new wave of new events that I must journey through but my depressive traits are always there. I am lethargic and sad or grumpy and I have trouble motivating myself to do even the easiest of tasks, such as waking up in the morning (both literally and figuratively.)

Because of this negative state of mind (yes, I have tried every possible method of help and service to ease it and I continue and will continue to do so) I am extremely unproductive, in terms of education, self-care, social interactions and many other areas.

This month, I have had 2 experiences (separated by 3 weeks) with 200mg of dihydrocodeine.

After consumption, I feel relaxed and I feel a body high which translates to gentle waves of euphoria and warmth in the body.

The second phase provides me with a relaxed intellectual energy - all the tasks and to-do’s and appointments and paperwork and chores I’ve been putting off for months- I can finish in a day.

I find thinking creatively is made easier while I’m under the influence, and rather than getting agitated by one disappointment along the way, I am motivated even harder just to keep going, because I find it rewarding.

Perhaps the normal dopamine release is multiplied, I don’t know.
I can make boring calls while maintaining a steady and problem-solving head and move on quickly to the next task. I give myself small breaks in which I write and draw and organise things and I find it extremely pleasurable also. After the effects wear off, I am left with an afterglow and a positive mindset.

Would anyone like to comment or speculate?

Many thanks

Last edited:
It's called being high. You're not the first person to think this. If you use the search you'll see dozens of other threads exactly like this.

In fact, just down this page there's a thread from a 13-year-old in your same situation. He's a couple months farther along and is now addicted to Percocet. This is what happens to everyone. Opiates are so effective at anti-depressant and anxiolytic action for the same reason they are so addictive, they are extremely effective at removing pain, emotional or physical.

So yes, opiates are a wonderful anti-depressant, but for a very short time. With any kind of consistent use they will lose their effectiveness and you'll have to use more to fight tolerance. At that point the come-down also becomes worse and your anxiety and depression will get worse than they've ever been before.

All I can say is to enjoy it while it lasts. If you start taking any opioid regularly, these effects will diminish and eventually you may experience the opposite feeling.

If you are one of the lucky few who can keep their use to 2 or 3 times a month, then it will continue to be effective in this regard. I'd recommend staying very strict with yourself and tracking your usage (in a spreadsheet or on paper). If you start to notice a need to increase dose or frequency then re-read stories of addiction and withdrawal because these may be in your future. Otherwise have fun.

Best of luck on fighting depression!

So yes, opiates are a wonderful anti-depressant, but for a very short time. With any kind of consistent use they will lose their effectiveness and you'll have to use more to fight tolerance. At that point the come-down also becomes worse and your anxiety and depression will get worse than they've ever been before.

Exactly this.

At some point you're going to have to stop increasing your dose to deal with tolerance. I eventually became anhedonic (which wasn't a feature of my depression pre-opiates) even while under the direct influence of opiates. So it doesn't take too long until you're depressed again (and likely even worse), except that you are now dealing with a horrible addiction you just can't find your way out of - and if you think your life sucks now, just wait until you have that obese 600lb gorilla on your back.

Trust me, it is not worth throwing away years of decades of your life for mere months of relief (if you're lucky). I deperately wish a way could be found to reliably block the development of tolerance and dependence with opiates because I've tried everything else - was even prescribed Dexedrine WITH an MAOI at one point (which most people familiar with MAOIs would recognize is pretty insane). But the only thing that ever worked for me is opiates - and believe me, it just doesn't last. I'm going to be trying sub-psychedelic doses of LSD soon to see if that consistently helps with my refractory depression (it definitely did the one day I tried it before) because I'm desperate to find a long-term solution and even more desperate to just get off the opiates... I'll let BL/OD know how that works out.

Wow, your replies have definitely impacted and made my perception on this subject a lot more realistic (as well as killing the creative buzz of my high), thank you very much for getting back to me.
I realise now it's all about the long-term efficiency, of course it is.
It has been interesting to read comments from people with more insight and experience than me.

Felonious Monk - oh dear, 13 is very young to be going through either addiction or withdrawals. I'll have a look at that - I hope help is available to him but it's most important that he seeks it.

Gyrospec - I am pretty high maintenance about monitoring the doses to prevent addiction but I will look out and be super careful.

emjay, please do keep me updated on how the sub psychedelic doses work out for you in both the short and long term. It's strange to think that so many other people have the exact same ideas as me.

Take care,
shehasaname

Wow, your replies have definitely impacted and made my perception on this subject a lot more realistic (as well as killing the creative buzz of my high), thank you very much for getting back to me.
I realise now it's all about the long-term efficiency, of course it is.
It has been interesting to read comments from people with more insight and experience than me.

Gyrospec - I am pretty high maintenance about monitoring the doses to prevent addiction but I will look out and be super careful.

shehasaname

You are pretty high maintenance about monitoring the doses? that's what everyone says, everyone thinks they can control their use but you just said it in your opening post, opiates cure your depression and make you feel awesome... It is only a matter of time before you start doing it more and more often till you get addicted... Same story EVERY time, no one listens till they get addicted and face withdrawals

You are pretty high maintenance about monitoring the doses? that's what everyone says, everyone thinks they can control their use but you just said it in your opening post, opiates cure your depression and make you feel awesome... It is only a matter of time before you start doing it more and more often till you get addicted... Same story EVERY time, no one listens till they get addicted and face withdrawals
Listen to this guy. I don't think it was even a month ago when he was pretty convinced that all it took was a little willpower to control his usage. Now he knows better and realizes that controlling one's usage is little more than a fantasy we tell ourselves to justify continued use, even if you promise yourself it will only be just "one [more] time"!

You are really far better off figuring this out BEFORE you become addicted and waste a significant chunk of your life (if not the entirety of the rest of it.) I realize none of us will ever likely convince you until it's too late though, because literally EVERYBODY thinks they have what it takes to keep their usage under control, when in reality the game is completely rigged against you. And so just about all these people end up becoming the poster child for how addiction just totally sneaks up on you, but unfortunately even though this keeps happening to people and literally thousands of examples of such people exist and are publicly documented on this very forum, people still invariably think that they really are THE exception this time - but, spoiler alert:
they never are.
And thus they only start listening when it's already to the point where they can be held up as an example for the next wave of people who think the same thing. And so that's how it becomes a terrible cycle that gets frustrating for everyone involved because they eventually end up having walked the exact same path to addiction and then are just as unable to convince future addicts as the previous bunch were in convincing them. This endless cycle is just absolutely brutal, and very painful and disheartening to watch. :(

So all I can do is hope my time and effort might not be completely wasted when I urge you to reconsider this before it's too late. It's just not worth getting yourself a crippling addiction for the sake of a few months of relief at most before your depression goes back to square one (and in all likelihood, gets even worse).

Last edited:
Listen to this guy. I don't think it was even a month ago when he was pretty convinced that all it took was a little willpower to control his usage. Now he knows better and realizes that controlling one's usage is little more than a fantasy we tell ourselves to justify continued use, even if you promise yourself it will only be just "one [more] time"!

Hahaha that made me laugh my ass off

Still you know the OP won't listen, no matter how much you warn him..

I've now been clean 12 days and this time have zero intention of using responsibly.. Once every few days I seriously consider using again but stop myself, I know I'll give in one day but won't go back to addiction.... Hahahahah that's funny cause I still think that some day I could control it somehow, even if very sporadic use, we are all fucked, fucking opiates

It's really fucked up because now that I'm 100% done with WD's, barely had any this second time quitting, I start to lie to myself that I can use once a while again... really OP, listen to us.. This game ISN'T fun, even if you are not a serious user like me, you still think about it all the time and it is the only thing you want and your solution to everything, it is fucked

Hahaha that made me laugh my ass off

Still you know the OP won't listen, no matter how much you warn him..

I've now been clean 12 days and this time have zero intention of using responsibly.. Once every few days I seriously consider using again but stop myself, I know I'll give in one day but won't go back to addiction.... Hahahahah that's funny cause I still think that some day I could control it somehow, even if very sporadic use, we are all fucked, fucking opiates

It's really fucked up because now that I'm 100% done with WD's, barely had any this second time quitting, I start to lie to myself that I can use once a while again... really OP, listen to us.. This game ISN'T fun, even if you are not a serious user like me, you still think about it all the time and it is the only thing you want and your solution to everything, it is fucked

I think you should make a bit more effort to make your posts offer constructive advice and not just relentlessly criticize OP and treating him like he's a criminal waiting to happen.

Kratom does the exact same thing for me. A definite mood boost when I'm feeling gloomy. Very subtle but definitely there. And not illegal. But it IS addictive and get get to be a very expensive habit so be very careful.

I think you should make a bit more effort to make your posts offer constructive advice and not just relentlessly criticize OP and treating him like he's a criminal waiting to happen.

Criminal??? Wth.... Said no such thing

All I'm saying is what everyone is, it is a lost battle, addiction wins... I know I am addicted, even if not physically dependent now, the thought is always in my head and the plan to use responsibly is crap, it doesn't work, eventually you lose... I know that very well but I still lie to myself that some day maybe I can do it, that's why it's so fucked

Na its called chipping and i have seen a few ppl do it successfully. So not EVERYONE ends up addicted thats kinda drug war properganda. Still not good to try.

Na its called chipping and i have seen a few ppl do it successfully. So not EVERYONE ends up addicted thats kinda drug war properganda. Still not good to try.

Sure, not everyone is going to get addicted to the point they risk everything to get high and destroy their lives.. but they will use more than they should till they experience WD's, at which point you are an addict.. That's my case

I've never met anyone who chipped successfully. Usually, when someone says that's all they're doing, it's because they are relapsing and in denial about it. I agree with JohnLope, it's an unwinnable battle dealing with opes. I got clean once. Had it beat for almost 2 years. Then I couldn't sleep one night from dry coughing...you know where this is going. Went to Dr. Feelgood and got some hydrocodone syrup and felt like I was using responsibly, especially since I got it from a doctor and pharmacy, etc. So, within three days, the syrup was gone, I got a refill (looking like a total addict in the process) that lasted two days and by the end of the week I was buying percocet off the street. If you can use opiates tri-monthly, not in a row, and not get the feeling that this shit is the answer to all your problems, then I've never met you and I'd love to know your secret.

Last edited:
I've never met anyone who chipped successfully. Usually, when someone says that's all they're doing, it's because they are relapsing and in denial about it. I agree with JohnLope, it's an unwinnable battle dealing with opes. I got clean once. Had it beat for almost 2 years. Then I couldn't sleep one night from dry coughing...you know where this is going. Went to Dr. Feelgood and got some hydrocodone syrup and felt like I was using responsibly, especially since I got it from a doctor and pharmacy, etc. So, within three days, the syrup was gone, I got a refill (looking like a total addict in the process) that lasted two days and by the end of the week I was buying percocet off the street. If you can use opiates tri-monthly, not in a row, and not get the feeling that this shit is the answer to all your problems, then I've never met you and I'd love to know your secret.

I "chipped" successfully for about 3 years, and the only reason I was able to is because I could only get a few pills, hydro, every few months, so didn't have a choice but I was hooked from the first day I tried it. I got the idea to try it from House. And successfully is a very relative term, because I had very much addictive behavior, I mean, I stole every pill I could find in my house and even refilled my relatives prescriptions and stole them.. So while I was technically "chipping", I was still a fucking addict with no access to pills... Year and a half ago I met someone who could get me pills and got addicted for 2 months till his supply ran dry and had no choice but to detox, I started at 20mg a day and was doing 70mg at times, dosing twice a day... Even knowing how bad all that was for me, if I see a pill anywhere I'll take it.. Haven't had hydro in 6 months now, and I really miss it... OP, you won't win, especially if you got access to them

Opiates are an extremely powerful anti-depressant, yes. That is also why the government is scared of them. Some degree of anxiety and even fear make workers more productive, students more studious and achieving higher grades, etc. The idea of everybody essentially lounging around and feeling good ALL the time takes away goals and natural drives; it is in a sense, completely against nature. If it were in our best interests (ie. help us survive) to have massive amounts of opiates flooding our brains at all times, that would be selected for extremely quickly. Our reward circuitry in our brains is very complex, the product of millions upon millions of years of natural selection, and plays a critical role determining who we are and why we do the things we do.

As you know, small amounts of natural opiates are constantly being released into the brain. They are what make you feel good after intense exercise, because exercise aids the body by keeping you healthy and free of disease in general. This healthy state strongly outcompetes any organism that does NOT maintain their physical body, and so the former will always be selected for. Fattening and sugary foods are extremely rich in calories - foods that have only become available to us easily in the last couple hundred years. For the rest of our 7 million year evolutionary journey from our ape ancestors, food had to be hunted, fruits gathered, all among mortal peril and a necessity to do so for survival. Fat tastes good because it benefits whoever eats it by large caloric (energy) increases. Those who manage to eat these foods will then be far more likely to survive during the next famine.

Sex - pretty self explanatory. Obviously, sex feels good for a reason. It is the single most important biological drive we have (from the viewpoint of our DNA anyway) as it is the only mechanism to keep our species alive. The process of maturing our sex cells and finding a mate is so incredibly important, it dwarfs all other worldy pleasures such as eating, urinating and sleeping. Nature needs us to procreate as much as we possibly can. Once again, most of our evolutionary history consisted of humans afflicted with dreadful and fatal diseases: cholera. Typhus. Polio. Smallpox. Fever. Bacterisl infections and their toxins. I could go on forever. Did you know that viruses are by FAR the most abundant "living" organisms in the ocean, and also on land? My point is that there has always been enormous selection pressure to have as many children as possible. Very recently, most births were either stillborn or else babies had a much lower chance of surviving. To compensate, we needed to make as many humans as possible; for that, we needed a very strong reward. Enter - sex. There's no need to describe the mechanics that we all know and love in great detail. Suffice to dsay that any sexual encounter (including solo) positively floods our brains with endorphins, dopamine and many other feel-good chemicals - all so we do it more. What I have always found fascinating is that mother nature has also built in a generally fail-safe mechanism to avoid us humans do nothing BUT have sex all the time. Prolactin is the cause of refractory periods in BOTH sexes. It and other neurotransmitters are extremely complex in their normal functions, and they are what produce the feeling we interpret to be satiety.

Endorphins then are critical to all of us and our well-being. They are what make us enjoy life - and indeed, our desire to live at all. Without them...well, any opiate addict can tell you exactly how they feel while in withdrawal and their endorphins are lower than usual (that's right; never outright gone, just reduced. So imagine what it must be like to have absolutely ZERO intrinsic opioid activity. There is no reason to live.)

Depression is a much more complex phenomenon than most people realize. Pharmaceutical companies and the media have done a very good job in convincing the general public that depression is caused by a simple lack of serotonin, and that it is a disorder requiring immediate treatment with a pill that increases serotonin. While partly true, this is soooo far from reality that it is actually laughable. There are likely many hundreds if not thousands of different neurotransmitters in our systems, many which carry out extremely specific tasks. The vast machinery and biological network of our neurons can never be summed up so cleanly as to be able to declare that any one disease is caused by any one factor - and by extension, that any one drug can eliminate or reduce this said affliction. The reality is, nearly all antidepressants on the market show weak efficacy compared to placebo - at best. Yes, there certainly are individuals who do have severe depression that has primarily been caused by serotonin dysregulation. In this case, an SSRI can be a lifesaver. However, most people can never alter their internal biochemistry to such a degree simply by changing the dynamics of one single chemical.

However, this is where opiates come in to play. There are opiate receptors all throughout the brain and spinal cord in the central nervous system. There are also a great deal of them in the digestive tract (which do not contribute to the high or depression in any way, but simply alter longitudinal muscle contractions of the gut to slow movement). But in the brain, there is a very small but very powerful locus located deep into the brain and quite close to the brainstem. This is the master of the limbic system, or the pleasure pathway if you will. Although just about the size of a small nut, activation of this tiny locus creates intense pleasure. Normally it is stimulated indirectly by endogenous neurotransmitters. This may be in response to a very pleasant surprise, your favorite song coming up on the radio, naturally sexual situations, and so on. It was discovered accidentally several decades ago when scientists hooked up electrodes to a rat's brain in different areas. A mild electric current would be administered when the rat pressed a tiny lever, and this would artificially activate the part of the brain to which the electrodes were connected. To their surprise, they found that when connected to the tiny locus described above, the rat displayed unmistakeable signs of extreme pleasure. Another lever in the same cage would provide the rat with food if it pressed that lever. Yet not only did the rat NOT press the lever providing food (and thus ensuring its survival), it chose every time to activate its brain via the electrode lever - several thousand times in a span of an hour or less. With this connection available, rats will always choose to push this lever over obtaining food until they eventually starve to death.

Years later after much research had been conducted, this phenomenon was finally explained; the scientists had indeed activated the most important and "acute" pleasure center of the brain, which among other functions, is responsible for regulating reward and desire. It is CRITICAL for the process of reinforcement and learning to take place. It is now known as the XXX and perhaps not surprisingly, it contains mu-opioid receptors in vast concentrations found nowhere else in the body. There is also what amounts to an extension of the brain ( ie the spinal cord) which of course is made up of neurons and myelin like the brain (but in the opposite layers). One small part of this area formed by many millions of neurons is called the substantia gelatinosa - so named because it lacks connective tissue and myelin, and so resembles and feels like soft, fragile gelatin. This is where opioid receptors are found to be in the greatest numbers,and agaun unsurprisignly, this pathwat regulates pain, pleasure, bonding and love among others and in association with other brain structures such as the amygdala.

Evolution has primed not only us humans, but most other animals as far as we can tell, to utilize endorphins for many purposes. It is thought that it was only relatively recently (in evolutionary terms) that it had begun to be used to facilitate bonding between parents and children, siblings, lovers and other kin. However, as a natural painkiller and integral component of the pleasure center of the brain for many eons, endorphins, other natural opiods produced in the body, and as a result, the great number of chemicals found naturally or made synthetically which are similar enough to these natural neurotransmitters to result in very similar to identical effects, have been consumed by humans since the dawn of their creation. Many scientists now believe that humans and poppies actual evolved in tandem in a form of co-evolution. Morphine and other alkaloids from P somniferum (the opium poppy) were very likely first produced by the poppy plant as a chemical way to deter predators from eating it. It is thought that the morphine, codeine and other natural alkaloids being so similar to our endorphins and thereby causing pleasure - is no accident. It may be a mutualistic relationship. Latex is harvested from freshly-grown pods and converted into most of the narcotic drugs we know of today. Morphine and Codeine are found naturally in opium. Oxycodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, dihydrocodeine, heroin and many others are termed semi-synthetic opioids; that is, they are not found naturally in opium (or else in exceedingly tiny amounts) but can be synthesized by using molecules that ARE produced - particularly thebaine.

Such a close and personal history of these plants, our own history of evolution and the necessities we must bear, and many other factors have resulted in both natural and artificial chemicals that bind to the pleasure centers of our brains being an EXTREMELY potent antidepressant for humans. Rather than being synthesized or discovered by accident, they cause many profoundly significant and pleasant effects in the human brain that they themselves - along with certain downstream regulators and chemical cascades - are very potent at relieving depression. With tthe right dosage and treated as medicine, they can do wonders helping people escape such horrible lifestyles and make them feel good again. Often, people who have lost their purpose (or never had one) or have not experienced enough of the pleasures of the natural world, get their fix when under the influence of these amazing substances. They may suddenly - or over time - feel things they have never felt before; tragically not realizing that this lack of well-being is in fact NOT the norm for humans. This can open up a new world with new opportunities and a fresh outlook on life. Because of all these factors, opioids in general often ARE the most effective anti-depressants on the planet.

NOTE: I felt that this post is aimed toward understanding and explaining parts of the disease of depression and why opiates do what they do and are often so effective while many other synthetic drugs such as SSRI's are not. Needless to say, it is the very pleasant and efficacious nature of these natural miracles that can suddenly turn on you with a vengeance - leading a previously healthy person into the abyss of addiction; a living hell which may result in the utter destruction of happiness, friendship, family and even life itself. I didn't want to focus on that here, of course. However as a harm reduction website first and foremost, I did NOT want to come across as though I am praising opiates in a way that convinced others to begin using them. They are unquestionably double-edged swords, and addiction is all too likely. Not all people are able to use these drugs only once in awhile - prescribed or not. I wanted to thoroughly explain why they make good antidepressants as that was the point of this topic, but it must also be emphasized that there is a yang for every yin.

This is a yang that you don't want to ever become.

opiates are an extremely powerful anti-depressant, yes. That is also why the government is scared of them. Some degree of anxiety and even fear make workers more productive, students more studious and achieving higher grades, etc. The idea of everybody essentially lounging around and feeling good all the time takes away goals and natural drives; it is in a sense, completely against nature. If it were in our best interests (ie. Help us survive) to have massive amounts of opiates flooding our brains at all times, that would be selected for extremely quickly. Our reward circuitry in our brains is very complex, the product of millions upon millions of years of natural selection, and plays a critical role determining who we are and why we do the things we do.

As you know, small amounts of natural opiates are constantly being released into the brain. They are what make you feel good after intense exercise, because exercise aids the body by keeping you healthy and free of disease in general. This healthy state strongly outcompetes any organism that does not maintain their physical body, and so the former will always be selected for. Fattening and sugary foods are extremely rich in calories - foods that have only become available to us easily in the last couple hundred years. For the rest of our 7 million year evolutionary journey from our ape ancestors, food had to be hunted, fruits gathered, all among mortal peril and a necessity to do so for survival. Fat tastes good because it benefits whoever eats it by large caloric (energy) increases. Those who manage to eat these foods will then be far more likely to survive during the next famine.

Sex - pretty self explanatory. Obviously, sex feels good for a reason. It is the single most important biological drive we have (from the viewpoint of our dna anyway) as it is the only mechanism to keep our species alive. The process of maturing our sex cells and finding a mate is so incredibly important, it dwarfs all other worldy pleasures such as eating, urinating and sleeping. Nature needs us to procreate as much as we possibly can. Once again, most of our evolutionary history consisted of humans afflicted with dreadful and fatal diseases: Cholera. Typhus. Polio. Smallpox. Fever. Bacterisl infections and their toxins. I could go on forever. Did you know that viruses are by far the most abundant "living" organisms in the ocean, and also on land? My point is that there has always been enormous selection pressure to have as many children as possible. Very recently, most births were either stillborn or else babies had a much lower chance of surviving. To compensate, we needed to make as many humans as possible; for that, we needed a very strong reward. Enter - sex. There's no need to describe the mechanics that we all know and love in great detail. Suffice to dsay that any sexual encounter (including solo) positively floods our brains with endorphins, dopamine and many other feel-good chemicals - all so we do it more. What i have always found fascinating is that mother nature has also built in a generally fail-safe mechanism to avoid us humans do nothing but have sex all the time. Prolactin is the cause of refractory periods in both sexes. It and other neurotransmitters are extremely complex in their normal functions, and they are what produce the feeling we interpret to be satiety.

Endorphins then are critical to all of us and our well-being. They are what make us enjoy life - and indeed, our desire to live at all. Without them...well, any opiate addict can tell you exactly how they feel while in withdrawal and their endorphins are lower than usual (that's right; never outright gone, just reduced. So imagine what it must be like to have absolutely zero intrinsic opioid activity. There is no reason to live.)

depression is a much more complex phenomenon than most people realize. Pharmaceutical companies and the media have done a very good job in convincing the general public that depression is caused by a simple lack of serotonin, and that it is a disorder requiring immediate treatment with a pill that increases serotonin. While partly true, this is soooo far from reality that it is actually laughable. There are likely many hundreds if not thousands of different neurotransmitters in our systems, many which carry out extremely specific tasks. The vast machinery and biological network of our neurons can never be summed up so cleanly as to be able to declare that any one disease is caused by any one factor - and by extension, that any one drug can eliminate or reduce this said affliction. The reality is, nearly all antidepressants on the market show weak efficacy compared to placebo - at best. Yes, there certainly are individuals who do have severe depression that has primarily been caused by serotonin dysregulation. In this case, an ssri can be a lifesaver. However, most people can never alter their internal biochemistry to such a degree simply by changing the dynamics of one single chemical.

However, this is where opiates come in to play. There are opiate receptors all throughout the brain and spinal cord in the central nervous system. There are also a great deal of them in the digestive tract (which do not contribute to the high or depression in any way, but simply alter longitudinal muscle contractions of the gut to slow movement). But in the brain, there is a very small but very powerful locus located deep into the brain and quite close to the brainstem. This is the master of the limbic system, or the pleasure pathway if you will. Although just about the size of a small nut, activation of this tiny locus creates intense pleasure. Normally it is stimulated indirectly by endogenous neurotransmitters. This may be in response to a very pleasant surprise, your favorite song coming up on the radio, naturally sexual situations, and so on. It was discovered accidentally several decades ago when scientists hooked up electrodes to a rat's brain in different areas. A mild electric current would be administered when the rat pressed a tiny lever, and this would artificially activate the part of the brain to which the electrodes were connected. To their surprise, they found that when connected to the tiny locus described above, the rat displayed unmistakeable signs of extreme pleasure. Another lever in the same cage would provide the rat with food if it pressed that lever. Yet not only did the rat not press the lever providing food (and thus ensuring its survival), it chose every time to activate its brain via the electrode lever - several thousand times in a span of an hour or less. With this connection available, rats will always choose to push this lever over obtaining food until they eventually starve to death.

Years later after much research had been conducted, this phenomenon was finally explained; the scientists had indeed activated the most important and "acute" pleasure center of the brain, which among other functions, is responsible for regulating reward and desire. It is critical for the process of reinforcement and learning to take place. It is now known as the xxx and perhaps not surprisingly, it contains mu-opioid receptors in vast concentrations found nowhere else in the body. There is also what amounts to an extension of the brain ( ie the spinal cord) which of course is made up of neurons and myelin like the brain (but in the opposite layers). One small part of this area formed by many millions of neurons is called the substantia gelatinosa - so named because it lacks connective tissue and myelin, and so resembles and feels like soft, fragile gelatin. This is where opioid receptors are found to be in the greatest numbers,and agaun unsurprisignly, this pathwat regulates pain, pleasure, bonding and love among others and in association with other brain structures such as the amygdala.

Evolution has primed not only us humans, but most other animals as far as we can tell, to utilize endorphins for many purposes. It is thought that it was only relatively recently (in evolutionary terms) that it had begun to be used to facilitate bonding between parents and children, siblings, lovers and other kin. However, as a natural painkiller and integral component of the pleasure center of the brain for many eons, endorphins, other natural opiods produced in the body, and as a result, the great number of chemicals found naturally or made synthetically which are similar enough to these natural neurotransmitters to result in very similar to identical effects, have been consumed by humans since the dawn of their creation. Many scientists now believe that humans and poppies actual evolved in tandem in a form of co-evolution. Morphine and other alkaloids from p somniferum (the opium poppy) were very likely first produced by the poppy plant as a chemical way to deter predators from eating it. It is thought that the morphine, codeine and other natural alkaloids being so similar to our endorphins and thereby causing pleasure - is no accident. It may be a mutualistic relationship. Latex is harvested from freshly-grown pods and converted into most of the narcotic drugs we know of today. Morphine and codeine are found naturally in opium. Oxycodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, dihydrocodeine, heroin and many others are termed semi-synthetic opioids; that is, they are not found naturally in opium (or else in exceedingly tiny amounts) but can be synthesized by using molecules that are produced - particularly thebaine.

Such a close and personal history of these plants, our own history of evolution and the necessities we must bear, and many other factors have resulted in both natural and artificial chemicals that bind to the pleasure centers of our brains being an extremely potent antidepressant for humans. Rather than being synthesized or discovered by accident, they cause many profoundly significant and pleasant effects in the human brain that they themselves - along with certain downstream regulators and chemical cascades - are very potent at relieving depression. With tthe right dosage and treated as medicine, they can do wonders helping people escape such horrible lifestyles and make them feel good again. Often, people who have lost their purpose (or never had one) or have not experienced enough of the pleasures of the natural world, get their fix when under the influence of these amazing substances. They may suddenly - or over time - feel things they have never felt before; tragically not realizing that this lack of well-being is in fact not the norm for humans. This can open up a new world with new opportunities and a fresh outlook on life. Because of all these factors, opioids in general often are the most effective anti-depressants on the planet.

Note: I felt that this post is aimed toward understanding and explaining parts of the disease of depression and why opiates do what they do and are often so effective while many other synthetic drugs such as ssri's are not. Needless to say, it is the very pleasant and efficacious nature of these natural miracles that can suddenly turn on you with a vengeance - leading a previously healthy person into the abyss of addiction; a living hell which may result in the utter destruction of happiness, friendship, family and even life itself. I didn't want to focus on that here, of course. However as a harm reduction website first and foremost, i did not want to come across as though i am praising opiates in a way that convinced others to begin using them. They are unquestionably double-edged swords, and addiction is all too likely. Not all people are able to use these drugs only once in awhile - prescribed or not. I wanted to thoroughly explain why they make good antidepressants as that was the point of this topic, but it must also be emphasized that there is a yang for every yin.

fuck yea write it longer!!!!

answer to the title: sure, until your opiate receptors become unregulated. They release what gets released while working out, and we all know that exercise works great for depression.

That being said: cold-turkey is HELLLL and any use is a hard fall no matter how many other drugs you take

Opiates are an extremely powerful anti-depressant, yes. That is also why the government is scared of them. Some degree of anxiety and even fear make workers more productive, students more studious and achieving higher grades, etc. The idea of everybody essentially lounging around and feeling good ALL the time takes away goals and natural drives; it is in a sense, completely against nature. If it were in our best interests (ie. help us survive) to have massive amounts of opiates flooding our brains at all times, that would be selected for extremely quickly. Our reward circuitry in our brains is very complex, the product of millions upon millions of years of natural selection, and plays a critical role determining who we are and why we do the things we do.

As you know, small amounts of natural opiates are constantly being released into the brain. They are what make you feel good after intense exercise, because exercise aids the body by keeping you healthy and free of disease in general. This healthy state strongly outcompetes any organism that does NOT maintain their physical body, and so the former will always be selected for. Fattening and sugary foods are extremely rich in calories - foods that have only become available to us easily in the last couple hundred years. For the rest of our 7 million year evolutionary journey from our ape ancestors, food had to be hunted, fruits gathered, all among mortal peril and a necessity to do so for survival. Fat tastes good because it benefits whoever eats it by large caloric (energy) increases. Those who manage to eat these foods will then be far more likely to survive during the next famine.

Sex - pretty self explanatory. Obviously, sex feels good for a reason. It is the single most important biological drive we have (from the viewpoint of our DNA anyway) as it is the only mechanism to keep our species alive. The process of maturing our sex cells and finding a mate is so incredibly important, it dwarfs all other worldy pleasures such as eating, urinating and sleeping. Nature needs us to procreate as much as we possibly can. Once again, most of our evolutionary history consisted of humans afflicted with dreadful and fatal diseases: cholera. Typhus. Polio. Smallpox. Fever. Bacterisl infections and their toxins. I could go on forever. Did you know that viruses are by FAR the most abundant "living" organisms in the ocean, and also on land? My point is that there has always been enormous selection pressure to have as many children as possible. Very recently, most births were either stillborn or else babies had a much lower chance of surviving. To compensate, we needed to make as many humans as possible; for that, we needed a very strong reward. Enter - sex. There's no need to describe the mechanics that we all know and love in great detail. Suffice to dsay that any sexual encounter (including solo) positively floods our brains with endorphins, dopamine and many other feel-good chemicals - all so we do it more. What I have always found fascinating is that mother nature has also built in a generally fail-safe mechanism to avoid us humans do nothing BUT have sex all the time. Prolactin is the cause of refractory periods in BOTH sexes. It and other neurotransmitters are extremely complex in their normal functions, and they are what produce the feeling we interpret to be satiety.

Endorphins then are critical to all of us and our well-being. They are what make us enjoy life - and indeed, our desire to live at all. Without them...well, any opiate addict can tell you exactly how they feel while in withdrawal and their endorphins are lower than usual (that's right; never outright gone, just reduced. So imagine what it must be like to have absolutely ZERO intrinsic opioid activity. There is no reason to live.)

Depression is a much more complex phenomenon than most people realize. Pharmaceutical companies and the media have done a very good job in convincing the general public that depression is caused by a simple lack of serotonin, and that it is a disorder requiring immediate treatment with a pill that increases serotonin. While partly true, this is soooo far from reality that it is actually laughable. There are likely many hundreds if not thousands of different neurotransmitters in our systems, many which carry out extremely specific tasks. The vast machinery and biological network of our neurons can never be summed up so cleanly as to be able to declare that any one disease is caused by any one factor - and by extension, that any one drug can eliminate or reduce this said affliction. The reality is, nearly all antidepressants on the market show weak efficacy compared to placebo - at best. Yes, there certainly are individuals who do have severe depression that has primarily been caused by serotonin dysregulation. In this case, an SSRI can be a lifesaver. However, most people can never alter their internal biochemistry to such a degree simply by changing the dynamics of one single chemical.

However, this is where opiates come in to play. There are opiate receptors all throughout the brain and spinal cord in the central nervous system. There are also a great deal of them in the digestive tract (which do not contribute to the high or depression in any way, but simply alter longitudinal muscle contractions of the gut to slow movement). But in the brain, there is a very small but very powerful locus located deep into the brain and quite close to the brainstem. This is the master of the limbic system, or the pleasure pathway if you will. Although just about the size of a small nut, activation of this tiny locus creates intense pleasure. Normally it is stimulated indirectly by endogenous neurotransmitters. This may be in response to a very pleasant surprise, your favorite song coming up on the radio, naturally sexual situations, and so on. It was discovered accidentally several decades ago when scientists hooked up electrodes to a rat's brain in different areas. A mild electric current would be administered when the rat pressed a tiny lever, and this would artificially activate the part of the brain to which the electrodes were connected. To their surprise, they found that when connected to the tiny locus described above, the rat displayed unmistakeable signs of extreme pleasure. Another lever in the same cage would provide the rat with food if it pressed that lever. Yet not only did the rat NOT press the lever providing food (and thus ensuring its survival), it chose every time to activate its brain via the electrode lever - several thousand times in a span of an hour or less. With this connection available, rats will always choose to push this lever over obtaining food until they eventually starve to death.

Years later after much research had been conducted, this phenomenon was finally explained; the scientists had indeed activated the most important and "acute" pleasure center of the brain, which among other functions, is responsible for regulating reward and desire. It is CRITICAL for the process of reinforcement and learning to take place. It is now known as the XXX and perhaps not surprisingly, it contains mu-opioid receptors in vast concentrations found nowhere else in the body. There is also what amounts to an extension of the brain ( ie the spinal cord) which of course is made up of neurons and myelin like the brain (but in the opposite layers). One small part of this area formed by many millions of neurons is called the substantia gelatinosa - so named because it lacks connective tissue and myelin, and so resembles and feels like soft, fragile gelatin. This is where opioid receptors are found to be in the greatest numbers,and agaun unsurprisignly, this pathwat regulates pain, pleasure, bonding and love among others and in association with other brain structures such as the amygdala.

Evolution has primed not only us humans, but most other animals as far as we can tell, to utilize endorphins for many purposes. It is thought that it was only relatively recently (in evolutionary terms) that it had begun to be used to facilitate bonding between parents and children, siblings, lovers and other kin. However, as a natural painkiller and integral component of the pleasure center of the brain for many eons, endorphins, other natural opiods produced in the body, and as a result, the great number of chemicals found naturally or made synthetically which are similar enough to these natural neurotransmitters to result in very similar to identical effects, have been consumed by humans since the dawn of their creation. Many scientists now believe that humans and poppies actual evolved in tandem in a form of co-evolution. Morphine and other alkaloids from P somniferum (the opium poppy) were very likely first produced by the poppy plant as a chemical way to deter predators from eating it. It is thought that the morphine, codeine and other natural alkaloids being so similar to our endorphins and thereby causing pleasure - is no accident. It may be a mutualistic relationship. Latex is harvested from freshly-grown pods and converted into most of the narcotic drugs we know of today. Morphine and Codeine are found naturally in opium. Oxycodone, hydromorphone, oxymorphone, dihydrocodeine, heroin and many others are termed semi-synthetic opioids; that is, they are not found naturally in opium (or else in exceedingly tiny amounts) but can be synthesized by using molecules that ARE produced - particularly thebaine.

Such a close and personal history of these plants, our own history of evolution and the necessities we must bear, and many other factors have resulted in both natural and artificial chemicals that bind to the pleasure centers of our brains being an EXTREMELY potent antidepressant for humans. Rather than being synthesized or discovered by accident, they cause many profoundly significant and pleasant effects in the human brain that they themselves - along with certain downstream regulators and chemical cascades - are very potent at relieving depression. With tthe right dosage and treated as medicine, they can do wonders helping people escape such horrible lifestyles and make them feel good again. Often, people who have lost their purpose (or never had one) or have not experienced enough of the pleasures of the natural world, get their fix when under the influence of these amazing substances. They may suddenly - or over time - feel things they have never felt before; tragically not realizing that this lack of well-being is in fact NOT the norm for humans. This can open up a new world with new opportunities and a fresh outlook on life. Because of all these factors, opioids in general often ARE the most effective anti-depressants on the planet.

NOTE: I felt that this post is aimed toward understanding and explaining parts of the disease of depression and why opiates do what they do and are often so effective while many other synthetic drugs such as SSRI's are not. Needless to say, it is the very pleasant and efficacious nature of these natural miracles that can suddenly turn on you with a vengeance - leading a previously healthy person into the abyss of addiction; a living hell which may result in the utter destruction of happiness, friendship, family and even life itself. I didn't want to focus on that here, of course. However as a harm reduction website first and foremost, I did NOT want to come across as though I am praising opiates in a way that convinced others to begin using them. They are unquestionably double-edged swords, and addiction is all too likely. Not all people are able to use these drugs only once in awhile - prescribed or not. I wanted to thoroughly explain why they make good antidepressants as that was the point of this topic, but it must also be emphasized that there is a yang for every yin.

tl;dr for those without time to read an essay - opiates feel great but are bad because of evolution.