• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

Official 2013 NBA Thread vers. flippity floppity

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep that's usually what happens when you're at the end of your career.

Bottom line though if anyone thinks Wade deserves to be in the top 10 active players right now you're out of your mind.

Here is the Top 50 list. All the players in bold I would take over Wade without hesitation.

50. Nikola Pekovic
49. Andrei Kirilenko
48. Jrue Holiday
47. Damian Lillard
46. David Lee
45. Danillo Gallinari
44. Al Jefferson
43. Larry Sanders
42. Ty Lawson
41. Anthony Davis
40. John Wall
39. Mike Conley
38. Paul Millsap
37. Kawhi Leonard
36. Pau Gasol
35. Zach Randolph
34. Josh Smith
33. Andre Iguodala
32. Paul Pierce
31. David West
30. Brook Lopez
29. Serge Ibaka
28. Kevin Garnett
27. Tyson Chandler
26. Rajon Rondo
25. Paul George
24. Deron Williams
23. Roy Hibbert
22. Al Horford
21. Joakim Noah
20. Kyrie Irving
19. Blake Griffin
18. LaMarcus Aldridge
17. Chris Bosh
16. Dirk Nowitzki
15. Stephen Curry
14. Marc Gasol
13. Kevin Love
12. Derrick Rose
11. James Harden
10. Carmelo Anthony
09. Kobe Bryant
08. Dwayne Wade
07. Dwight Howard
06. Tim Duncan
05. Russel Westbrook
04. Tony Parker
03. Chris Paul
02. Kevin Durant
01. Lebron James

lol at putting Damian Lillard at #47. Whoever made this list for SI is obviosuly a Miami Heat fan and doesn't know shit.

How can you rank Chris Bosh higher than Hibbert, Horford, Noah, Pekovic?? That is hilarious

Yep that's usually what happens when you're at the end of your career.

Bottom line though if anyone thinks Wade deserves to be in the top 10 active players right now you're out of your mind.

Here is the Top 50 list. All the players in bold I would take over Wade without hesitation.

50. Nikola Pekovic
49. Andrei Kirilenko
48. Jrue Holiday
47. Damian Lillard
46. David Lee
45. Danillo Gallinari
44. Al Jefferson
43. Larry Sanders
42. Ty Lawson
41. Anthony Davis
40. John Wall
39. Mike Conley
38. Paul Millsap
37. Kawhi Leonard
36. Pau Gasol
35. Zach Randolph
34. Josh Smith
33. Andre Iguodala
32. Paul Pierce
31. David West
30. Brook Lopez
29. Serge Ibaka
28. Kevin Garnett
27. Tyson Chandler
26. Rajon Rondo
25. Paul George
24. Deron Williams
23. Roy Hibbert
22. Al Horford
21. Joakim Noah
20. Kyrie Irving
19. Blake Griffin
18. LaMarcus Aldridge
17. Chris Bosh
16. Dirk Nowitzki
15. Stephen Curry
14. Marc Gasol
13. Kevin Love
12. Derrick Rose
11. James Harden
10. Carmelo Anthony
09. Kobe Bryant
08. Dwayne Wade
07. Dwight Howard
06. Tim Duncan
05. Russel Westbrook
04. Tony Parker
03. Chris Paul
02. Kevin Durant
01. Lebron James

That's a little ridiculous. Even injured, Wade's PER was 7th in the league last year:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics

That's on a team on which he has to share stats with Lebron. Without Lebron, his PER would've been even higher.

Plus, aside from Rondo and Kobe, none of those bolded players have proven they have championship DNA.

The Player Efficiency Rating (PER) is a per-minute rating developed by ESPN.com columnist John Hollinger. In John's words, "The PER sums up all a player's positive accomplishments, subtracts the negative accomplishments, and returns a per-minute rating of a player's performance." It appears from his books that John's database only goes back to the 1988-89 season. I decided to expand on John's work and calculate PER for all players since minutes played were first recorded (1951-52).

All calculations begin with what I am calling unadjusted PER (uPER). The formula is:

uPER = (1 / MP) *
[ 3P
+ (2/3) * AST
+ (2 - factor * (team_AST / team_FG)) * FG
+ (FT *0.5 * (1 + (1 - (team_AST / team_FG)) + (2/3) * (team_AST / team_FG)))
- VOP * TOV
- VOP * DRB% * (FGA - FG)
- VOP * 0.44 * (0.44 + (0.56 * DRB%)) * (FTA - FT)
+ VOP * (1 - DRB%) * (TRB - ORB)
+ VOP * DRB% * ORB
+ VOP * STL
+ VOP * DRB% * BLK
- PF * ((lg_FT / lg_PF) - 0.44 * (lg_FTA / lg_PF) * VOP) ]
Most of the terms in the formula above should be clear, but let me define the less obvious ones:

factor = (2 / 3) - (0.5 * (lg_AST / lg_FG)) / (2 * (lg_FG / lg_FT))
VOP = lg_PTS / (lg_FGA - lg_ORB + lg_TOV + 0.44 * lg_FTA)
DRB% = (lg_TRB - lg_ORB) / lg_TRB

Without Lebron, his PER would've been even higher.

No. Just no.

I can't believe you just pulled out the PER stat. Wow the most useless stat ever.

This isn't fantasy basketball.

I don't think you understand how much Lebron James makes not just Wade, but the whole Miami Heat team better on paper(stats)

Do you realize that if Lebron was on ANY other team in the NBA, every single player on that teams stats would go waaay up and he can turn an average player into an all star.

It's very similar to Tom Brady and Peyton Manning making no name guys Pro Bowl wide recievers. Do you realize how shitty of a team the Heat are without Lebron?

Lebron could take the Utah Jazz to the Western Conference Finals right now. I'm not even kidding. That is how good Lebron is

Next time you're watching the Miami Heat play and you see someone taking a wide open 3 point shot and you wonder how in the world did they get so open with nobody around them

The reason they are wide open is because Lebron is getting 3-4 defenders committing to him almost every single time he attacks the lane

Almost everyone in the NBA can shoot when they are wide open, just not every team has a Lebron James

No. Just no.

Wade's PER before Lebron:

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/year/2010

#2 in 2010

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/year/2009

#2 in 2009

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/statistics/_/year/2007

#1 in 2007

Why? Because PPG is a major component of PER. Wade would have more points if he didn't have to share the court with Lebron.

You just picked a bunch of younger guys that you'd rather have for the rest of their career. That's fine. And Wade might be practically done. We shall see.

look at the centers ahead of him. He just got done destroying both Horford and Bosh i dont know why they'd be in front of him.

how'd he play in the playoffs where it counts? i mean that's like the #1 thing people say about the falcons so im gonna use it this time.

best defender in the NBA by far

I'm gonna add my two cents in these disputed topics:

1) Roy Hibbert is BEAST MODE. I have been a fan of his ever since his Georgetown Hoyas beat my Ohio State Buckeyes in the NCAA Tourney some years ago. Hibbert's not perfect, but his most admirable trait is his work ethic. every year since college he betters himself. nowadays a "true Center" in the NBA is about as rare as JR Smith NOT posting something completely dumb-assed on Twitter - therefore Hibbert shines even more bright. Hibbert has some goofy, clunky moves in the paint - but they work - he's a GREAT scorer. and everyone saw how he defended the rim against the rim-targeting Miami Heat in the ECF... but I dare say that for being a 7 footer Hibbert is a shit rebounder. however, I believe through his insane work ethic he can improve upon this. add into the equation Hibbert's youth and he is my fave center in the NBA today

2) D-Wade is a Champ, and most importantly he proved this before LBJ took over the Miami Heat. you can't really knock that fella. do ya'll forget that before his last ring, the Heat belonged to Wade, and not LBJ? now this year there is no arguing that the Heat are led by LBJ, but that is a recent development. one thing I will say about Wade is that I always forget that he was drafted in the same class as LBJ! those damn injuries really make Wade appear and play like he is 2-5 years older than LBJ...

Lebron could take the Utah Jazz to the Western Conference Finals right now. I'm not even kidding. That is how good Lebron is

as a Cleveland Cavaliers fan this fact stings true to my heart, still to this very day...

but while we're on the topic of LBJ, despite my disgust for him, he really does a great job giving back to the community (and most of his charity goes to my home State of Ohio, and even more specifically Akron, and even more specifically Akron Saint Vincent Saint Mary[ASVSM], the high school King James attended)

WELL here's a pretty kewl video of LBJ showing off the new ASVSM football jerseys that he donated. now LBJ could not have simply just Fed Ex'd a truck full of said new football jerseys... nah... he had to throw a spectacular spectacle of an event. there's everything you would expect in this video: a stage, fog machines, girls parading around, rabid fans flocking to King James, and LBJ himself finally strutting out on the cat-walk in full ASVSM's football uniform

watch: [video]http://bcove.me/ei3go4if[/video]

[video]http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid829875052001?bckey=AQ~~,AAAAAEBVkPU~,71bz9Fa_ E4M_roP9MK0aIB1H9ytVCoyC&bctid=2603041353001[/video]

source = http://www.stack.com/video/2603041353001/LeBron-Shows-Up-in-Full-Football-Equipment-Fans-Go-Berserk/

full on rebuild mode, it's about time they realized you have to suck to win in the NBA eventually. Feels good to support the team through what might possibly be one of the worst seasons in memory. If I had a gun to my head and could only follow one sport for the rest of my life I'd still pick the NFL, but id probably need counseling over my NBA-less existence

This season is now being judged off the number of Sportscenter Top 10 appearances, make it happen

#never4get

or something twitty like that

NSFW:
Nerlens.gif

NSFW:
tumblr_mp2tch1T581rvn2ylo2_400.gif

Man, the C's are going to be pretty unwatchable this year. This season may make or break Rondo's FA value.

Looking forward to watching the reloaded Pistons tonight vs. the Heat. Hopefully Beasley plays.

Can't wait to see the pistons make the playoffs this year.

Oh and can we please send the Utah Jazz to St. Louis?
or possibly Kentucky? That would be fucking awesome

Status
Not open for further replies.