• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Numerology Megathread

Great. Now, after reading this thread i now knopw that bluelight was a complete waste of my life. I pitty all the people who posted useless comments. Love and peace to all. I will close my acount now. Thanks for you trolls that posted crap on a thread that did not address you.

Great. Now, after reading this thread i now knopw that bluelight was a complete waste of my life. I pitty all the people who posted useless comments. Love and peace to all. I will close my acount now. Thanks for you trolls that posted crap on a thread that did not address you.
I'm going to join you. Mass exodus.........

Our minds are pattern recognition machines. Their purpose is entirely to identify and compare patterns. Our brains do this so well that we often find patterns even when they aren't there. In fact randomness often looks like a pattern to people (if you need proof of this go look at a sky full of clouds). I feel always look at the clock at 11:47. I have felt this way since at least I was four, but probably even before that. I could say that 11:47 must have some significance in my life, but why? Even the idea that I look at the clock when it's 11:47 would cause me to remember the times I looked at the clock when it was 11:47 far more than any other number.

For anyone who has strong beliefs rooted in memory, I highly recommend looking into an experimental psychologist named Elizabeth Loftus. Her research has showed that memory falls flat of being reliable and even is malleable by suggestibility. Due to her research I'm not even sure every time I think I remember seeing 11:47, it was 11:47. Just believing that I do look at clocks at 11:47 could create memories of looking at a clock at 11:47.

Now, even if faulty memories in support of observer bias wasn't enough, there is more observer bias; just in case you don't know, observer bias is selecting out only evidence that supports your positions. Everyone does this. I've seen very smart people's observer bias and even great scientists and Philosopher like R A Fischer or Aristotle fall into the trap of observer bias. In numerology, if you are looking for a particular, rather simple pattern, you will find it just due to the vast amount of patterns your brain is able to identify. I see no reason to put extra emphasis on any number because someone notices it often.

I'm curious what numerologists think numbers are?

numbers themselves can't mean shit. Perhaps acutal quanitities of certain objects in given situations can be meaningful, but just numbers themselves can't mean shit...there's just no basis for it...but why do humans have an affinity for certain numbers of things more so than the things themselves? Numbers do affect the brain in strange ways, but there's really no way they could mean shit.

Belief in numerology, astrology, etc. is a mental disorder as far as I'm concerned.

I gave my account on why it was false, but to call it a mental disorder is just straight wrong. You could have someone with OCD or some form of schizophrenia who uses numerology to the point of it contributing to their disorder, but belief that numbers hold special powers is not a mental disorder. If all it takes to have a mental disorder is to be irrational than more than 90% of the population of Earth could be said to have a mental disorder, which would mean that they don't have mental disorders, but rather the 10% of people with few to no irrational beliefs are actually the ones who are abnormal and the ones who should be treated. Now if anyone here thinks believing things because of evidence should be treated, I would have nothing to say to that person as rational discourse should have no effect on the person in question, but I probably would talk to them for the fun of it, But that being said, the majority of everyone believes many things for irrational reasons, so things like numerology and astrology are not mental disorders.

I find numerology to be much more related to language than astrology.
Astrology as the notion that astronomical phenomena/events affecting/related to humanity directly through Earth is completely sound. Some shit happened on the sun recently, imagine what things would be like if a close star exploded and we got annihilated by the gamma rays. That'd be cool as shit.
Fact is, it is objectively related.
Symbols and sounds don't have the same affect as planets and stars.
Astrology as birth signs and personality traits is far more arbitrary than words and numbers.

Astrology as the notion that astronomical phenomena/events affecting/related to humanity directly through Earth is completely sound.

wat?

The only force that distant celestial bodies exert upon the people of earth is gravity, and a cat sitting on the other side of the room would have more of a gravitational influence on you than a distant star or planet.

imagine what things would be like if a close star exploded and we got annihilated by the gamma rays

This is totally unrelated to astrology to the point that I'm not even sure what exactly you're trying to say. What you're describing is a supernova explosion and they happen all the time, and the only way that we could be "annihilated by the gamma rays" of a supernova is if it was our own sun (which does not possess enough energy to go supernova, it will just get dimmer and dimmer and end its life as a dwarf star).

But even if there was another star close enough to annihilate us by exploding, this influence is physical and mediated by well-understood physical forces. It is not astrological.

I gave my account on why it was false, but to call it a mental disorder is just straight wrong.

Yes perhaps I'm guilty of hyperbole in that instance, but I actually might go so far as to say that holding beliefs that alienate oneself from discourse with intelligent people is detrimental to a person in the same way as having a mental disorder.

Last edited:
Indeed Roger, what DDK is referring to is under the heading astronomy and astrophysics. Which are of course legit sciences.

Astrology is distinguished by not being scientific.

I explicitly said whatever word represents such a notion is sound.
If Astrology is just about 'star signs' and the month you were born in then please disregard my comment and focus on the topic of Numerology, maybe?

^^ i once had a salvia trip that told me i was going to be the antichrist =p i don't believe it tho

that said, the number 144 follows me around...

and 4322 on my debit card, does anyone know the significance of this?

Hard to say. You're gonna need to provide us with some more numbers from your debit card before we can say for sure that it's a numerological phenomenon. ;)

I just thought I'd bump this thread and tell whoever's interested that my numbers came up this weekend to the tune of 48k... Perhaps I'll get my pension after all.

Bumpin bumpin bumpin, I love numerology and I do think spiritual forces hide behind numbers.

I use it often and have good results with it.

From the infinitely small to the infinitely large, everything is counted in base 10. I use 10 in my incantations, and have always been positively awarded by it.

So buy 10 today! Shockingly cheap! Give me five and I'll give you 10. Buyin' is adop'ten (jk).

May the Fourth be with you.

Last edited: