• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

November Getting/Staying Clean/Sober Thread v. It's Fall! Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm preparing for Thanksgiving coming up soon. I'm so thankful to be off buprenorphine/needles for so long now!

Exercise is phenomenal in early recovery - truly works wonders! Be careful with alcohol @Slum Survivor - it's so easy to develop and addiction to booze or lose your inhibitions and relapse on your original DOC.

Just completed my second week without cigarettes :) I broke down and saw my doctor yesterday to get a referral to my old psychiatrist as I've been dealing with soul crushing depression and anxiety...since it's been two weeks and it's still getting worse I figured I would I'll get intervention now before it gets worse.
Its good you recognized the depression before it went any further. That's something I am going to have to really work on when I get my head right again.

Tomorrows going to be a rough day. Last tiny dose of Xanax in the morning then I got to decide whether I am going to buy more or not. I kinda feel like I should drop it att his point but then on the other hand I am terrified. What a life.

How do you guys deal with the enormity of the task before you? Like I have done nothing but drugs for the last 13 plus years. My life has revolved around this game. Its fucking with my head how hard its going to be to completely start over.

Lots and lots of therapy LOL, sorry, but that has helped a lot for me. Well, that and safer drugs 8)

1. Lots of therapy here as well.
2. Safer drugs - as in nothing that isn't prescribed and when it is, only as directed.
3. An understanding I can't do this by myself and need a support network.
4. Remembering that life got better for me in a very short period of time after I got sober. In under a year, I am once again a homeowner. I have a girlfriend and people who care about me (and that includes my ex-wife who hated me for my drug use). I have started enjoying hobbies I abandoned during my career as an alcoholic and drug addict. If I start drinking as using again, I can lose all that just as quickly as I gained it. It's safe to say that I now think a bad day sober is still better than the best day using. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it's true. I never would have believed it though in March when I went into detox for what I hope is the final time.

Its good you recognized the depression before it went any further. That's something I am going to have to really work on when I get my head right again.

Tomorrows going to be a rough day. Last tiny dose of Xanax in the morning then I got to decide whether I am going to buy more or not. I kinda feel like I should drop it att his point but then on the other hand I am terrified. What a life.

How do you guys deal with the enormity of the task before you? Like I have done nothing but drugs for the last 13 plus years. My life has revolved around this game. Its fucking with my head how hard its going to be to completely start over.

I took my time and invested it in personally rewarding activities. Writing and creating music are two huge outlets for me.

Many people also get back into working at a job, or attending classes at a university or a college. :)

I just reached 4 months sober this past week. It didn't really seem like a lot of time until I remembered that it's the longest I've been sober over the past decade. Feels good man. =D

1. Lots of therapy here as well.
2. Safer drugs - as in nothing that isn't prescribed and when it is, only as directed.
3. An understanding I can't do this by myself and need a support network.
4. Remembering that life got better for me in a very short period of time after I got sober. In under a year, I am once again a homeowner. I have a girlfriend and people who care about me (and that includes my ex-wife who hated me for my drug use). I have started enjoying hobbies I abandoned during my career as an alcoholic and drug addict. If I start drinking as using again, I can lose all that just as quickly as I gained it. It's safe to say that I now think a bad day sober is still better than the best day using. I know it sounds like a cliche, but it's true. I never would have believed it though in March when I went into detox for what I hope is the final time.

Well said, though I do enjoy me some entheogens once and a while ;)

Simco! 30 days is phenomenal!!! Are you planning on doing anything to reward yourself any time soon? You deserve it!

- VE

Thanks, folks! I'm really happy to have made it this long. I know 30 days is arbitrary, but still...

I'm feeling strong, in terms of recovery. Not sure what changed. I've spent 2 years quitting and quitting over and over, never feeling like I was making any progress. Never made it to 30 days before; not even close, if I'm honest. So this does feel good. (Also makes me realize that all those other quits for 2 years maybe weren't the wastes of time I thought they were.)

But I am starting to feel a little tired from keeping myself in check. Last week or so, I've noticed cravings and drug-related anxiety at the edges of my thinking. I feel, though, like I'll get the hang of this phase of recovery soon.

Again, thanks for the nice words... the support I get from you all on SL is huge for me!
Sim

It's not arbitrary my friend. That is a huge accomplishment, don't downplay it. It's good to keep track of your progress, and set goals for yourself. Of course cravings are still going to come, but they will also pass.

I hear time and time again people say that they've tried x number of times in the past, failed, and they're not sure what's different this particular time but it does indeed feel different. Sometimes it takes several tries before sobriety "clicks." It's normal to start noticing cravings or anxiety once your head has had a few weeks to clear. Just be mindful about it and play the tape all the way through.

And shroomy is right a month isn't arbitrary. And it certainly isn't a small feat. To someone maybe only a few days clean who could be browsing this thread for encouragement, 30 days can seem like a lifetime away. Seeing someone who's doing it successfully can give them real hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.