• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football ver 2009-2010

it's just easy to write because it's on Thursday night :| I was laughing when it was listed for a long time as NOT being broadcast - the game between FSU and Miami - reflection of how irrelevant they'd both become. Without considering the level of competition (pass rush), I will say that I like Miami (of Florida ;) ) 's QB Harris. He is pretty calm and collected and appears to be handling the role very well....but maybe I'm just feeding on the noise from the talking heads as they blowjob him every game :\ In the meantime, anyone want to take the bet on FSU only being down a touchdown playing at BYU this weekend? ;)

Jefe - I still want to come back and argue about the east coast bias thing a bit more, mostly for the sake of argument, but I really don't have any facts for a rebuttal at this time. As such, I'll be back after I refill my cup of stfu...it was getting cold.

I will have a chuckle at the "better atheletes" argument out of Axl, since I don't quite see it his way ;) Effort, yes. Ability, mostly yes. But if you really want to compare tOSU to USC...I think you'll find USC 2-3 deep as equal or better in most positions. The big downfall in that game, and others for tOSU will be the coaching...and eventually that will start eroding the talent, IMO. Great read here, btw, regarding how coaching is killing tOSU. I'm wonder if Axl is laying early groundwork in case Miami (of FL) ends up against them in a bowl game ... with "better atheletes" losing again ;)

I think a more compelling story would be that the WAC looks like a better conference, top to bottom, than either the ACC or the big east this year, and its going to make bowl season fucking contentious again

Agreed. I'd take the WAC and an autobid over ACC, and most cartainly over the Big Easy, at this point. Part of me also wants to see the MWC standup again, after having caused some trouble for the PAC10 in recent times. Though, if we are doing title-bouts, we may end up giving the MAC the auto-bid from the Big10+1 before the end of the season ;) (And no, the SEC isn't handing thiers over to the Sun Belt...yet).

Gah, lots more to say....but no time to say it. I'll be back, hopefully to not gloat too much if (when?) UF stomps UT tomorrow. Gawd I hate Kiffen.

Georgia Tech gave me an early gift Thursday night by their self destruction against the Hurricanes, but I have some concerns about the Dawgs travelling to Fayettenam to play Arkansas tonight. It's a trap game. We went on the road to OK St. and got beat, won a tough one at home against Carolina and now we have to travel back to the heartland to face a pretty tough QB and set of recievers. Unproven for sure, but this is their chance to prove that Ark. can be contenders in the SEC West. I hope these young bulldogs keep their composure and continue to show flashes of greatness (Boykin, Smith and Samuel). Joe Cox just needs to be smart and go to AJ Green. Arky seems to have a swiss cheese D and I'd love to see big ol' Richard Samuel hammer his way to a couple of touchdowns. Go Dawgs! Game Prediction: 31 UGA-28 BBQ. I agree with LoveBandit about Jacory Harris' demeanor. He seems to be a level headed kid and looks to be the future for the U. I hate Miami, but they look good and I'd rather have them win the ACC than Georgia Tech and their little high school offense.

BTW: Cal looks like real contenders in the PAC 10. Jahvid Best has 3 TD's on the day and their QB looks poised. Cal's defense looks hella good.

I pray that cal goes to the rosebowl (national title game!). I've got tickets! Well, they COULD go to the other rosebowl game this year, I've got tickets to that too.

I will have a chuckle at the "better atheletes" argument out of Axl, since I don't quite see it his way ;) Effort, yes. Ability, mostly yes. But if you really want to compare tOSU to USC...I think you'll find USC 2-3 deep as equal or better in most positions. The big downfall in that game, and others for tOSU will be the coaching...

I'm wonder if Axl is laying early groundwork in case Miami (of FL) ends up against them in a bowl game ... with "better atheletes" losing again ;)

meh, I still believe that this year OSU has more talent than USC (which is never usually the case). but since nobody else on other sides of the country can follow this, the point is moot. you are right, OSU is getting out-couched. the talent at OSU wasn't there the last two or three years - but this year the talent is there (albeit young).

and for what it's worth I think that Ohio State will play either Oklahoma or Cal in the Rose Bowl this year, not Miami by a long shot. however, the Buckeyes are playing "the U" for two years in a row, starting next year. after that it is Oklahoma. gotta give them props for scheduling the teams, hopefully they will pull out a win.

speaking of Cal, they are looking pretty damn good. they might have the best RB in the nation right now. you can count USC to lose to one hilariously bad Pac-10 team a year, and they just did. much to the chagrin of all of you, I would think that UW should give some props to the Buckeyes - the only hit the Scarlet and Grey defense had on the freshman QB put him out for this weekend. which I am sure deflated some of their offensive rhythm.

off topic, Jim Tressel's coaching style is really grating me. interesting to note OSU graduate and former coach Urban Meyer has some sort of stipulation in his contract allowing him to opt out to coach at Notre Dame or OSU. since ND has been trying desperately to get him to join their program, and he has not yet, I doubt he will go to a dismal South Bend. as much as I think Coach Meyer is a cock face - you gotta love the way he stays on top of the modern game of football.

re: Pander Bear (via IM). yeah, the ACC is whack. I was in no way trying to glorify that conference. however, Jacory Harris is a straight baller!

and I almost forgot, it would have been great for the Michigan State Spartans to best the Notre Dame Fighting Irish today. lets not forget that Sparty (MSU) is a very incomplete football team this year, but they haven't been beaten by ND since 2004 (if my memory serves me correct). MSU was intercepted at the 10 yard line, right after their QB missed a wide open reciever in the end zone.

if ND lost at home to an abysmal MSU, I'm sure Charlie Weiss would be fired in the next couple weeks.

I was a bit piqued by UW in their loss to LSU. Having them beat USC is just splendiferous. I will now call myself a bandwagon fan of the Huskies for this season. Besides, I like purple. ;)

UF-UT was a win that felt kinda like a loss to a lot of the Gator fans. I suppose that's the effect of chewing on hate for months on end, and not having a real good feel for what UT is capable of....or, perhaps more accurately, having a game where things didn't go as well as desired. The defense gave too much credit to Crompton, and should have sold out on the run like UCLA did last week - force the QB to beat you, because he can't. Had we done that, we'd have had an extra body in the box and they wouldn't have been able to get half the offense they mustered. On the other side of the ball, Tebow with an INT and a (stripped) fumble, may have cost himself the Heisman. In that race (IMO), Bradford got knocked out and won't catch up; McCoy will remain a front runner so long as he doesn't fuck up primarily as he falls to the sympathy vote (hey, TT and SB got theres... 8) which pisses me off - freaking earn it THIS year...and that goes for TT as well, hence my saying he lost some ground with today's game). I'm waiting for MICH to put that freshman QB on the list, but it won't get traction. What will get traction? J Best for Cal....real deal, and I fully expect him to earn his way into the conversation. Keep it up like he's doing so far...give him a ticket to NY.

Right now...I'm watching TT-Tex, to see if Tex can win and impress well enough to jump UF in the rankings. Yeah we won, and a lot of people won't switch their vote unless the reigning champ loses (bullshit in my mind), but UF did not look like the#1 team in the country to me today. If Tex can win decent, I put them ahead of UF in the polls...but I don't get a vote.

Other fun stuff so far - Gophers playing tough as much as they did with Cal (fucking Gophers! :D ). Last night's Fresno State game taking Boise State to the ropes a few times before getting steamrolled. Oregon's fugly uniforms. Ooopss....gotta run, UGA-ARKy is looking like another fun one ;)

Wooooo Pig! I'm glad that one's over. More like a Big 12 shootout. Dawgs win another in the SEC and I no longer hold doubt about Joe Cox and our offense, putting up "half a hundred" as Darth Visor once said. Most nerve-racking game since....last week against Carolina. I don't know if I'm gonna live through this season if our D doesn't lock down and we don't get any discipline. I finally took my 2 Klonopin in the fourth quarter. What a game. Our defense sucks though.

ya, it really reflects poorly on the conference that you're seeing scores like the ones uga has put up the past two weeks. Good watchin' though. I like being on the edge of my seat.

As for how uga played--

does the defense need to tighten up? Absolutely! But if you took away the gratuitous turnovers, the scores would be much more to our liking-- and unlike massive systemic defense problems, turnovers is something you can train and condition out-- so i'm optimistic. Regardless, we're going to run up against programs that absolutely outclass us this year, and idk how its going to go. :\

We made Mallet look like a Heisman Trophy winner last night with serious lax defense. I don't know what's wrong with our zone schemes but it seemed like everyone was out of position and Razorback receivers just needed to catch the ball and run. I think it's part youth and part coaching by Willie Martinez. I was never on the "Fire Willie" bandwagon, but I think there needs to be a change after the past two games. Joe Cox showed great leadership and I'm glad we could overcome costly penalties and turnovers. Hopefully our team is just tired. We'll see what happens when we play the tougher teams on our schedule. Florida didn't exactly look invincible yesterday, either. SEC win is an SEC win tho. Go Dawgs.

that was a great Dawgs win. even when you are in rebuilding mode, you gotta win most of your conference games. UGA benefits from great fundamental coaching and discipline from Mark Richt, which is why their lack of defensive tightness is surprising.

we;;, we all remember seeing the defense melt down mid way through last season, letting kentucky hang like 30+ points on us. I'm officially on the fire willie martinez bandwagon.

you guys all want to play a game with me? sometimes I get so lonely in the middle of week, when all I want to hear is grown men grunting on the football field and a cold beer in my hand (or whiskey in the flask, if I am at the Horseshoe ;)).

the game is pick the Top 2 of the major college football conferences. who do you think will finish number one and number two? I am just going to do the major conferences, but you more learned gentlemen can include some of the BCS busting conferences.

Big Ten:

1. Penn State - they are quick to tout their undefeated record (along with Michigan, Wisconsin, yadda yadda) but whom have they beaten? at least they have won big under their improved QB. facing off against OSU at Happy Valley gives them points.
2. Ohio State - as much as all of you know I would love to put them on top, I was expecting QB sensation Terrelle Pryor to have developed more of a passing threat. nobody can catch him when he does decide to run, however. the defense is without many top stars, but is still playing inspired. can Michigan sneak in?

Big 12:

1. Texas - this team should make it to the National Championship, and them playing agianst Florida should be a great game.
2. Oklahoma - Bradford will be back, and so should the Sooners

Pac-10:

1. Cal - Jahvid Best is the best player in the NCAA not named Tebow or McCoy.
2. Southern Cal - despite them losing to Washington, they should compete for the Pac-10 title and a trip to the Rose Bowl.

SEC

1. Florida - still the top dogs of the South.
2. Ole Miss/Alabama - both are great football teams, but they haven't really played the best competition for me to be a good judge. some help SEC fans? either one of these teams could beat Florida and end up in the National Championship, however I think Alabama is more perfectly poised to make itself a candidate.

ACC

1. Maimi - I am going to take them over Virginia Tech, because it's obvious how much of a bandwagon fan I've become of Jacory Harris and the upstart Hurricanes.
2. Virginia Tech - the Hokies/Canes game is looming, and so is Virginia Tech's staunch defense.

Big East

1. Cincinnati - they look just as good as ever, despite not playing anybody yet. the question is, who is the second best team in the Big East? I have no idea...

I just decided to do top 2, but if you all are inclined, maybe top three would be better?

wow, I wish I would have waited after that Ole Miss game where Sneed self-destructed, to make that post.

Miami will beat Virginia Tech easy today. 35-10. This Miami team with Jacory Harris, the receivers, Coop and James out of the backfield and an underrated defense has a decent shot at the NC.

Florida is not the same on offense without Harvin and will not make it out of the SEC, not with Alabama waiting for them in the conference championship. As a Miami fan, the only two teams that scare me are Alabama and Texas. OU would be a much more challenging team if not for Bradford's injury, which he should be back for by the time we play him, but he will also be rusty. I cannot wait for that game.

Also can't wait to revenge OSU next year for that robbery back in 2003.