• SPORTS
    AND
    GAMING
  • Sports & Gaming Moderators: ghostfreak

NCAA Football ver 2009-2010

But Pac-10....the 'bias' claim... Based on what?

Check some BCS history...USC being no.1 in both human polls but not making the championship game, giving LSU a cheap claim at the championship. Oregon being jobbed out of the championship game by Nebraska, who got pounded by Colorado in the Big 12 championship and then by Miami in the NC. Cal being bullshitted out of a Rose Bowl because Mack Brown's a lobbying piece of shit. UDub not getting a sniff of consideration for the National Championship over FSU and Miami when Miami was all pissed they didn't get it because they beat FSU. Who beat Miami that year? UDub. There also could've been some complaints about Oregon not getting a BCS berth in 2005 despite being 11-1. This stems from not getting a high ranking early in the season, which would've been maintained and likely would've gotten them a BCS berth instead of having a couple of other teams ahead of them that had 2 losses like OSU and ND.

Combine that with the general disregard by east coast fans (Big 10, SEC) that somehow the Pac-10 isn't up to snuff with their conferences and you have your bias...along with the general preseason top 25 garbage the Pac-10 usually deals with.

I think that Texas is National Championship bound, don't you?! I have them playing Florida (and hopefully winning).

I'm not settling for a BCS appearance. at Ohio State, you pretty much have to make a BCS game every year or it is a failure of a year.

field position is nice (albeit boring), and I was surprised as to how easy it was to make USC play Tressel-ball. that scheme works when Tressel has the superior athletes.

needless to say, I am still jacked about the season. it just sucks to not get into a National Championship game - but this year is most certainly a rebuilding year. while the SEC is the top dog this year - I think that in a post Tebow, Stafford, and Alabama defense world - the mighty SEC might need to take a couple years to rebuild. which was sad as I will be, because SEC football is by far the most fun to watch, it will be interesting to see who picks up the guard. an older, more experienced OSU is more than likely the front runner (with Bradford and McCoy gone).

anyways, I give respect to OSU for schedueling such a grueling game so early in the season. they did it for two years against Texas and they did it for two years against Southern Cal.

Very exciting game, UGA v SCar. I'm sure it took a few years off my life just watching the entire game. Most improved player has to be Richard Samuel, who seems to no longer go down just at the thought of contact. I even saw some spin moves reminiscent of Knowshon Moreno. Reminds me of Musa Smith. Curran saves the game on that tipped ball. What a save! I think everyone expected a 12 to 9 game...hahahaha. Branden Smith needs to get a grip on the ball. But that boy has some sppeeeeeddd. Both he and Orson Charles are so fast, reminding me of Harvin/Demps/Louis of Florida. Glad to see we added pure speed to our offense. AJ Green is the best receiver in the SEC, period. He's better than Julio Jones. Cox has been given every excuse in the book, was the flu, now chronic shoulder condition. I'd like to see Mettenberger or Murray (esp. Murray) to get some reps. Even Logan Gray should have a chance. Too bad we don't have any (besides Tennessee Tech) patsies so we can give these two freshmen some game speed experience. I hate having close games with the likes of South Carolina, but I am happy to see some improvement from the last game and see some real jewels in our class of freshmen. I'm gonna have problems saying goodbye to Rennie at the end of the season. Classy guy all round. GO DAWGS! Focus Arkansas!

I was rooting for a daisy cutter at the 50 yard line at GT v Clemson.

It would have been beautiful

What I watched:

ND/Michigan

God, the race from the bottom. I was definitely pulling for michigan, and I'm pretty pleased to see their QB actually executing. Anything to shut Lou Holtz up, you know. ;) Jimmy Clausen isn't anything special, and the squad looked no better than the legends squad that played the japanese team earlier this year (at least that's when I watched it).

UGA/SC

Not the dull game I was expecting. Definitely my game of the week, for thrills and great plays-- whether we won or lost. The UGA secondary (actually the whole defense) is really lackluster. I think we sacked Garcia once, which is just unacceptable down here, and we were completely unable to play against short passes since our zone was so loose. its a good thing the game only lasts 60 minutes, because you could see how Gassed UGA was on SC's last drive. I thik we're looking at a 4 loss season, minimum, but I'll be happy with whatever.

I don't have the skepticism regarding Cox, though. I'd say he's done a pretty good job all things considered. I'm more concerned about his replacement in the coming season.

USC/OSU

gah, what a boring game. Kudos to the buckeyes for keeping it close, though. Honestly, the action was so slow, i didnt watch much, but the storied rivalry angle is getting old.

looks like Michigan is trying real hard not to be a NCAA cellar dwellar, again this year.

watch out. my guess is that since they have finally found a QB that runs the type of offense Coach Dick Rod likes to run, they could very well give teams like Ohio State a run for their money.

so nobody wants to mention the SMACKDOWN Auburn put on Mississippi State last night?? i got tired of texting my brother updates cuz every time i got done texting it was another AU TD. 589yds with 2 players over 100yds in back-to-back games (school record)...not bad.

I think that Texas is National Championship bound, don't you?! I have them playing Florida (and hopefully winning).

I was surprised as to how easy it was to make USC play Tressel-ball. that scheme works when Tressel has the superior athletes.

"superior athletes" eh? Those "superior athletes" couldn't keep themselves from losing at home to a true freshman who started just his 2nd game of his career. I'm surprised you were surprised USC was a run-oriented offense considering that fact. It was going to be a tough passing day for the Trojans and if OSU could contain the run, which they did for a good portion of the game, then they would have a shot to win.

Just swallow the bitter pill Axl...don't let it sit on your tongue. ;)

As for Texas...they didn't exactly look like the real deal against Wyoming...so we'll see what happens when they play tougher competition. I think the Big 12 schedule will give them some trouble.

Last edited:
"superior athletes" eh? Those "superior athletes" couldn't keep themselves from losing at home to a true freshman who started just his 2nd game of his career. .

i think what axl meant that tressel ball did not work because we do not have superior athletes...

wondering why so many monday morning qb's are getting upset w/ tressel for being too conservative. imo 2 of his risky decisions came back to bite the buckeyes big time (end of 2nd half and of course the end of the 4th)

that was a tough loss but i think osu played well overall. defense and special teams were outstanding... pryor had flashes of the greatness that he's capable of but in the end his immaturity and poor decision making shines through

i think what axl meant that tressel ball did not work because we do not have superior athletes...

wondering why so many monday morning qb's are getting upset w/ tressel for being too conservative. imo 2 of his risky decisions came back to bite the buckeyes big time (end of 2nd half and of course the end of the 4th)

that was a tough loss but i think osu played well overall. defense and special teams were outstanding... pryor had flashes of the greatness that he's capable of but in the end his immaturity and poor decision making shines through

I may be wrong in my interpretation of Axl's comment, but I'm also going off of what he's said previously about the Trojans and how he's not impressed with them. Judging by my own opinions of the game, it's not hard for me to fathom OSU fans thinking their players were somehow superior athletes despite not winning the game. Actually, it reminded me of Leinart's crying after losing to Texas saying they were the "better team" heh.

this is the first time that I can say that I would take the athletes from the Ohio State University and not the Southern California Trojans. save for McKnight, not that explosive of a group this year. USC won because of better coaching and that they found a way to win late in the ballgame. I give them props, they played as a great unit for the last five minutes of the game.

but again, I can't see why you fail to fathom the fact that this years roster is nowhere near the extremely talented and gifted roster that USC usually fields? they are still good, but not the usual great.

^when did I say this team is as good as previous USC teams? I've never mentioned anything of the sort. Truth be told I think they're in for a challenging year because the QB position is currently at its most questionable point in the Pete Carroll era. The fact of the matter is, however, despite having a lot of new defensive starters and a true freshman QB, they went into the Horseshoe and won. That's impressive.

My guess is if Mark Sanchez had stuck around, this game wouldn't have even been that close...and you would've seen the more typical flashy style of USC prevail than the one we saw with Barkley running things. I'm also guessing that if that happened, you wouldn't be claiming OSU has the "superior athletes." ;)

Mark Sanchez would have changed the whole equation, he was good - and he is doing good in the NFL. I hope well for him, I liked his playing style in the NCAA and I am loving it in the NFL (plus people say I look like him, so you have to say he is rather good looking).

I don't want to keep on beating a dead horse, but yeah - Barkley is mediocre, but he did go into Columbus and win. say what you want about the Buckeyes, I can count the home losses on one hand in Tressel's entire era. he has to be feeling pretty good about himself. Tressel, on the other hand, most likely isn't so high. Buckeye fans can't be content with beating Michigan and winning the Big Ten - because the Big Ten hasn't proved much (although I predict a changing of the guard in a year or two). I really don't want to talk about USC anymore.

^fair enough!

UCLA QB Kevin Prince is out 3-4 weeks with a broken jaw and 4 players have been suspended for the K-State game for violating team rules...bah.

I'm not so bummed about Prince being out since Brehaut is behind him and he's the golden child of Norm and Rick, so I'd like to see him in action, but the four guys being suspended, 3 of them freshmen, is a bummer. Courtney Viney played a pretty good game against Tennessee so he may be missed...that is unless K-State can't throw the ball.

the real story in college football is the Miami Hurricanes. the last two Thursdays, they have absolutely demolished top 20 teams. is this a coming back to glory party for the Canes? with sophomore Jacory Harris under center, I am a firm believer in the athletic ability of the U. although I enjoyed their fall from grace, it would be nice to see them back on top (of at least the ACC).

considering everyone thought they would crash after tuberville got canned, i'm impressed. :)

I am reserving judgement for divisional play.

the real story in college football is the Miami Hurricanes.

Its hardly the real story-- its just the easy story to write because people want to believe that its time for them to get their acts together. IDK, I think a more compelling story would be that the WAC looks like a better conference, top to bottom, than either the ACC or the big east this year, and its going to make bowl season fucking contentious again.