• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

^Good to know I'm not the only one of little faith only to have it returned. :)

Saw UP today with two kids I was sitting. I enjoyed it for the most part - the animation was un-fucking-believable, absolutely top notch and even a reason to see the film over anything else. That being said, I didn't love the story-line. I'm being quite picky here, as I liked it for the most part.

To me the characters were gorgeous but they felt a little too perfect. Carl's relationship with Ellie was absolutely awe-inspiring and almost bought a tear to my eye on a few occasions [I fought it back as I'm a hard-arse :p] but it got a little too saccharine sweet after a while.
NSFW:
I also found the fact that Doug the dog automatically turned on his fellow hunting dogs and his Master without missing a beat was a little flat and one dimensional.. and the way 'Kevin' just latched onto Carl and Russell without question left me feeling a bit flat.

That said, it was a fun adventure and definitely something the kids enjoyed. There were a lot more scary moments than I had expected, so beware if you have a real youngun' with you - they will likely cry and get quite scared in parts.

The ending was sweet and closed everything up nicely. All in all,
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
out of
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
. :)

^you hard arse!! I couldn't be bothered nit-picking on the story line - I have pretty good in built suspension of disbelief. I am a sucker for tear-jerking story lines - I can't watch "It's a wonderful life" again after bawling out loud when I saw it a few years ago. Bawling I tells ya!

I really want to see Animal Kingdom but the cinemas aren't showing it up here. Totally ghey. Marc Fennell gave it an absolute cracker of a review. Anyone else seen it?

Saw KickAss a few weeks back and enjoyed it! A little predictable at the end but there were a few twists early on I didnt see coming. Good to see Mr Cage in some form as its been a while!

Might try and catch Animal Kingdom this arvo seeing as work got washed out! :)

I saw Animal Kingdom a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. Solid acting, atmospheric, moving, perhaps a little too long and slow in places. Definitely not a feel-good movie though. 4/5 from me.

I also saw A-Team yesterday. Silly, fast-paced action with little substance. Good chewing gum for the brain and exactly what I'd anticipated :) 2.5/5

Wolfman i give a sarcastic 5 out of 5 and an actual 0 out of i want those moments of my life back.

Let the Right One In is a fantastically gritty vampire film set in Sweden. Very slow-moving but the suspense and constant guessing is quite enjoyable. I'd give it
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
/5

Thirst was another great vampire movie. Ethan Hawke is still rocking on, surprisingly enough. This one was very "Hollywood" but was filmed in Brisbane which made a nice change, and the addition of Claudia Karvan and other Aussie' actors was appreciated. The blood and gore are top notch, and after a soft stage in the middle it really picked up again and finished quite strongly. I give this one
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
/5

Shrek 3 was one of the best animated films I've ever seen. The story-line was beautifully crafted and as usual, they put enough grown-up jokes in to keep us older folk very entertained. The characters were a whole heap of fun and I was grinning the whole way through. I don't think 3D really added much to the film, and I would be happy to see it again on a normal screen. I give it
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
/5

Animal Kingdom was actually amazing. I saw it at an advanced screening as a friend's +1 and had no idea what to expect or even what it was about. I was on the edge of my seat the whole time, and I cried quite a lot. Best Australian movie I've seen since The Castle, I think.

I watched Away We Go last night. Gorgeous, everyone should see it.

Animal Kingdom is Australian? Fuckin nice one! :D Pity I'm not going to be able to see it for a while. Stupid "regional" area. Haven't even been able to find it online. Not that I do illegal things like that.

(I wouldn't steal a car, but I'd download one if I could)

Let the Right One In is a fantastically gritty vampire film set in Sweden. Very slow-moving but the suspense and constant guessing is quite enjoyable. I'd give it
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
/5

Have to agree with you here! I loved it; great to see an adult vampire film in amongst all of the twilight shite flooding the silver screen at the moment! Unfortunately an English adaption is being produced as we speak: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Let_Me_In_(film) .... somehow I doubt it will do the Swedish version justice but would be happy to be proved wrong...

^ I read about the American remake. I don't understand the need for it, personally. It was magnificent on its own! They're apparently setting it in Mexico. Blah, I hate the way they need everything to be set in their own backyard to appreciate it. :p

Is anyone else interested in / heard anything about Scott Pilgrim vs The World ? It looks like fun, and I think it is based on a comic book series. A guy has to battle a girl's 7 evil exes before he can date her or something like that.

Shrek 3 was one of the best animated films I've ever seen. The story-line was beautifully crafted and as usual, they put enough grown-up jokes in to keep us older folk very entertained. The characters were a whole heap of fun and I was grinning the whole way through. I don't think 3D really added much to the film, and I would be happy to see it again on a normal screen. I give it
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
16.gif
/5

I'm glad to hear you say that (read you wrote that?) I want to see if but my bf was convincing me it would be boring and Rotten Tomatoes said it "oo often feels like a rote rehashing of the franchise's earlier entries. "

So I watched A Serbian Film last night which I would recommend to no-one. My brain feels like I've been skull fucked, which incidentally perfectly describes one of the scenes in this movie. If I was to say that was the worst scene that would be a lie of astronomical proportions.

I would recommend it to only the most steeled horror movie veterans who are searching for that one film that that'll show you you're not completely desensitised. Think that seedy, sickly, depressed feeling you got after watching Irreversible and you're on the right track. Though worse...

Last edited:
^ Was that apart of the Sydney underground film festival that was on last week?

There was some gold and some trash in that selection

e.g. South of the Border and Trash humpers for example

The animation selection was awesome

Nah torrent. It was a festival screening version so it had a logo in the top corner and some words came up on the screen two or three times through the movie though dvd quality other than that. It still hasn't got a dvd release anywhere as far as I know and I think it will be edited when it does.

If they didn't screen or allow the release of Ken Park in this country this sure as hell won't. Although Ken Park did feature real sex between adolescents and Serbian Film is simulated it's so far beyond fucked up I doubt it will ever show here.

Think I'm going to have to watch Serbian Film lostpunk. I have been looking for that type of movie, after The Human Centipede was a disappointment.

Also, I agree with what was said on the previous page, Inglorious Basterds, Up, Scott Pilgrim vs The World, all great :D

Well, be warned :)

There's a good review here which sums it up without ruining the plot:

http://www.fangoria.com/index.php?i...ion=com_content&catid=50:movies-tv&Itemid=181

Also this:

http://www.bloody-disgusting.com/review/4501

To describe the horrors in this film to a niche movie-going public that will either embrace the film's extremity (or run screaming to the nearest cliff and hurl their bodies off it in protest) is futile. If what I have written here is enough to turn your feelings of wonder into a burning desire to watch this monstrosity, then perhaps I haven't been clear enough. You don't want to see Serbian Film. You just think you do. You've been far too desensitized. You've laughed at people that fainted in theaters, snickered at legends of grown men and women who walked out of movie premieres and puked on lobby floors. You think you've seen it all and after this, you'll wish you had.

If it still sounds like your cup of tea, have fun. Well, endure, not enjoy anyway. I don't regret watching it.

---------------------------------

Yeah, Human Centipede was kinda funny, far from what it was made out to be. But it was gross.

Last edited:
Human Centipede grossed me out a lot more upon later reflection because it really seemed to be a thinly veiled scat fetish movie, what with the two attractive chicks being the tail end of the ass-to-mouth machine, and all three of them completely supplicant. I guess it's a staple of these kind of movies that the victims are so stupid they don't take the obvious path to getting the fuck out of there, but it really seemed in this film like that was part of the fetishisation of the whole thing; they didn't have to be as submissive as they were if they didn't really want to be...

Since then, I have heard that there's a bit more thought behind it; apparently the Japanese guy and the German guy are meant to be some kind of statement about those countries' relationship during WWII and the shrill American girls are the ones who eat shit because it's a statement about American culture....but I'm still suss on it. There just seemed to be too many lovingly lingering shots of girls being forced to eat shit. So even though it wasn't really graphic at all, that aspect just skeeved me out a lot.

A Serbian Film sounds like it would be a really interesting experience; I like when film-makers really explore the medium beyond the realms of it being comfortable or pleasant as long as there is some decent motivation behind it (which judging from that first review you linked to, sounds like there is).

Martyrs is a movie which sounds like it might be in a similar vein; it's not really that graphic compared to lots of other stuff, but psychologically it's really confronting. I didn't enjoy it, but I'm really glad I watched it because it was an experience worth having.

Martyrs at IMDB

Well I'm downloading it now, if I don't post back with a comment later I've either forgotten or gouged my eyes out.

:)