• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

I actually just won a Juno prizepack from vice apparently, so anyone who wants to go and would like not paying should PM me and I will send you the double pass that's in it. If I like you.

Last edited:
Thanks for your addresses everyone, I'll forward them to my superior officer.

There's no need for that Vanth, usually I would take a look for you, but I'm rather busy at the moment, so perhaps you can just choose a contestant yourself?

kthx.

Ha ha. Seeing as no one wanted it I ended up giving it to my sister.

I approve of you giving the tickets to your sister.

kthnx.

icon_razz.gif

Really looking forward to seeing The Mist as it is one of the best things King has written. Maybe this weekend.

CGI could really make or break this one.

Ah, sorry katmeow. Its the quick and the dead around here :)

I have seen the posters for The Mist around my place and I must admit while I know nothing about it it seemed a lame concept to me. What's next, "The Semi-Solid"? "The Scary Fluid"?

lostpunk5545 said:
Really looking forward to seeing The Mist as it is one of the best things King has written. Maybe this weekend.

CGI could really make or break this one.

Agreed. I saw the ad on TV at work and was literally jumping up and down clapping my hands. I really hope they pull it off well!

vanth said:
Ah, sorry katmeow. Its the quick and the dead around here :)

I have seen the posters for The Mist around my place and I must admit while I know nothing about it it seemed a lame concept to me. What's next, "The Semi-Solid"? "The Scary Fluid"?

If you'd read the novella you would be much more excited.

After a violent storm attacks a town in Maine, an approaching cloud of mist appears the next morning. As the mist quickly envelops the area, a group of people get trapped in a local grocery store -among them, artist David Drayton and his five-year-old son. The people soon discover that within the mist lives numerous species of horrific, unworldly creatures that entered through an inter-dimensional rift, which may or may not have been caused by a nearby military base. As the world around them manifests into a literal hell-on-earth, the horrified citizens try desperately to survive this apocalyptic disaster.

Besides just being a creature flick it's got the typical Stephen King odd assortment of characters thrown into a fucked up situation and allying and forming enemies as per their personal beliefs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRo_hUbjeBE

I went to the movies today to try and see the Mist. But it goes for fucking ages and I had to get my ticket refunded after seeing how long it ran for. I would've been late for work!! Oh well will try and see it next week, got Monday off so probably then.

^ i just saw it

as you said, it goes for fucking ages and it could have been easily condensed

but the ending? it will fuck you up

No Country for Old Men wasn't as good as I was hoping. A friend and I had been scouring IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes and a few other sites we regular for reviews on the film, and I guess we inadvertantly built it up to unattainable heights in our own minds. :(
Apparently it was listed as one of the TOP 36 FILMS OF ALL TIME on IMDB.. but then again, Godfather is up there in their top 10. :|

Josh Brolin was incredible in the main role, Javier Bardem was OMGWTFBBQ freaking awesome as the bad guy and Tommy Lee was amazing as per usual. I invested emotion in the characters, and a real sense of suspense was created through the lack of music and the use of 'natural' sound.
NSFW:
I adored the fact that Anton Chigurgh used a stunbolt gun - I honestly CREAMED MY PANTS in the scenes he was in and I recall saying to a girl who was watching in the scene in the hotel when Chigurgh takes off his socks, 'Never before has a pair of socks been so damn creepy!'. =D

The Coen Brothers apparently wanted someone "who could have come from Mars" to play Chingurgh. The characters look was taken from a 1979 photo from a book supplied by Tommy Lee Jones which had photos of brothel patrons on the Texas-Mexico border.
When asked about the "extraordinary mop top haircut," he said, "You don't have to act the haircut. The haircut acts by itself."

The aesthetics were perfect - the lighting, set-design, camera-work and cut-aways gave it a realistic and gritty feel and made me believe it was the early 1980's in Texas. Also the scenery was breath-taking, but they used it subtly to their advantage - there were no sweeping views that made you think they were shooting a visual post-card of the area.
I think it was just the meandering plot that really let it down in the end. We had three breaks through our screening - - THREE. I usually get testy if there's one break, but I really wasn't overly fussed while watching this, and that speaks volumes in itself.

My friend and I also got excited about I Am Legend after seeing reviews for it on IMDB and were bitterly disappointed, both giving it 4/10. What a pathetic waste of time that film was. :p

I don't think I'll bother with IMDB again. It's done it's dash.

PS.
We had Kmart Decadent Chocolate Chip cookies during the film last night. Man, I'd forgotten how good those things are!!! We had two DCCC virgins in the stalls, and they were instantly converted. I need to get some. I think a KMart mission is in order. =D

I'm dying to see The Mist!!! I LOVE King. Yay!

So preacha, is it worth it? Is it one of the few Stephen King stories that haven't been completely fucked by the movie conversion?

I knew within 2 seconds of the movie preview coming up on the big screen that it would be The Mist.....then I squealed! Hehehe. Oh and is the CG good? Cos it's really only now that our technology has caught up with the amount of detail required for the numerous beasties often featured in King stories. =D

^ my gf had read the book before seeing the movie, and she didn't like it as much as she thought she would have. she said the movie ending is much better than the book version.

CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
No Country for Old Men wasn't as good as I was hoping. A friend and I had been scouring IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes and a few other sites we regular for reviews on the film, and I guess we inadvertantly built it up to unattainable heights in our own minds. :(

you really have to stop doing that

do you find that you research the hell out of a movie and build up big expectationa only to be humbled by the reality of the film?

or is this a rare occurence and more often than not your expectations are exceeded

preacha said:
^ my gf had read the book before seeing the movie, and she didn't like it as much as she thought she would have. she said the movie ending is much better than the book version.

from all accounts I need to see the ending of this film

Watched about 45 mins of Donnie Darko last night before passing out.

Was a rather lame attempt at a movie which tries to be spooky/mysterious/twisted. I disliked it immensely, although i will watch the rest of it so my opinion may drastically change.

I rented two movies this week. Equilibrium and V for Vendetta.

The best way I can describe Equilibrium is Fahrenheit 451 with kung fu and guns. And kung fu with guns. Never mind its likening to the Matrix, the similarities stop with the trenchcoats and dual pistols. The action is very well choreographed and the violence quite satisfying. Unfortunately that also means the script isn't well written. The dialogue seems extremely dumbed down so that the trashy action film crowd can understand what everyone is saying. The story is suitably predictable, yet quite jumpy. I think it would have been better produced as a TV series so it could be fleshed out more.

Don't expect to use your brain to understand the ideas presented here. Just enjoy the killscenes. 7/10

V for Vendetta is a movie I'd been meaning to see for a while. In fact after watching it, it's become one of those movies I wish I'd seen in the cinema. It is one of the better comic book adaptations of recent years. Not as good as Batman Begins or Sin City, but certainly on par with Spiderman. I daresay it's better than the Matrix.

I haven't read the comic so I'm not sure what to make of the changes, but I think they made the right choice to rewrite it for the 21st century. The enemies have changed but the issues are very much the same as they were in the Cold War. The fact that it's been updated would make it more subversive I think.

Hugo Weaving plays V very well. A lot of actors in Hollywood would have great difficulty picking the right expression so maybe the mask helps. He doesn't have to deal with it and can focus on the dialogue, which for V is well written. He had me at the opening spiel. They could have picked someone better than Natalie Portman (someone with a real English accent) but she does ok. Not that I noticed because I was too busy staring at her waistline.

So good I had to see it again. 9/10

^ the comic of V For Vendetta is better than the movie, and I absolutely loved the movie. worth reading/downloading and reading

preacha said:

Really? Because I just home from seeing most of this, and as soon as I realised they were going to alter the ending I walked out. I was actually impressed with the rest of the film. Aside from a few plot changes, they did a pretty good job of interpreting the book. However, the ending (or at least what I saw of it) was so horrid that I said "Fuck this!" to myself and walked out.

The novella ends so much better...unlike the film ending which leaves little to the imagination. Maybe I'm wrong and it ended really well, but I walked out because the movie had hit all the right spots for me and I really didn't want to ruin it!

I will probably hire it on DVD just to see what I missed, although I doubt it will be much.