• 🇳🇿 🇲🇲 🇯🇵 🇨🇳 🇦🇺 🇦🇶 🇮🇳
    Australian & Asian
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Movie Reviews Part 3 - The good, the bad and the ... rentals

I never, ever want to see Juno. A close friend of mine told me I was the Australian version of her. I almost vomited [besides not having seen the film].

As I said to another friend today, it looks way too much like a coming of age, girl-dealing-with-societies-constraints in a slightly quirky but loveable way, and making her way through a turmultuous time by being honest and vulnerable but trapped beneath the cynical, biting wit of today's youth.
Makes me want to hurl just thinking about it. Done. To. Death.

The main reason I want to see it is because it was written by a writer I like (Diablo Cody) whose blog I used to read when she was a stripper and when she worked in a peep-show. I don't think she has any ulterior motive, though she does have an extremely quirky way of writing. I am really interested to see whatshername in a new role after Hard Candy, she was really good in that, but this seems like a very different role.

Just got back from seeing Sweeney Todd.

Fucking A grade stuff. Both Johnny Depp and Tim Burton at their finest.

Just saw Adaption, starring Nicholas Cage.

Nicholas Cage is fucking awesome, I don't know why I had this perception that he had gotten shit. Especially after Matchstick Men and Leaving Las Vegas. I guess I was being selective and only remembering shit like National Treasure + sequel and that movie with the flaming motorcycle.

He plays identical twins in the movie, who have opposite personalities.

The movie is from the creators of Being John Malkovich, and there was definitely similarities. The idea of using real world characters. The general whacked outness.

The way that the main character slips into neurotic self defeating thought patterns and manic creative bursts of inspiration is quite cool.

The anxieties of the main character hit a little close to home sometimes.

Sweeney Todd is officially my favorite movie ever.

Loved it sick.

A truly passionate musical production which just blew my mind. It's about love driving people to insanity - it's full of obsession and of murder. It's not horrifying, and it's only marginally saddening; despite having an existential and deep, dark feel to it -- it truly is a beautiful movie with lots of humorous moments.

10/10. A highly recommended work of genius.

Another 10/10 for Sweeney Todd. I saw it on the weekend and its definitely in my list of favourites. Not a single fault - everything is perfect - the music, cinematography, costumes, gore, themes, singing even, acting, casting. Ace!

Tim Burton just doesn't do it for me, never has. Edward Scissorhands? Nightmare before Christmas? *yawn* I haven't even bothered with any of his recent stuff.

From what I hear Sweeney Todd is a slight departure and Burton has been picking up a few fans that he has lost over the years.

Pee Wee's Big Adventure FTW!

I just saw Pulp Fiction. I can't believe I hadn't seen it until today, I fucking loved every minute of that movie.

I loved the discussions that the characters get into about various things (usually occurring as exchanges between two characters), like when Vincent and Jules talk about how Quarter Pounders aren't called Quarter Pounders in Europe, because of the metric system. And the discussion they have about how meaningful foot massages are in sexual terms. A common theme I noticed, was that Jules seemed to have well thought out theories and ideas on things which he would explain to Vincent (I think Jules did more talking), and Vincent would seem to come up with a good point to disprove some aspect of what Jules was saying (like, for example, in the discussion about foot massages, Vincent counters Jules point by saying "how many foot massages do you give to guys?"). So they both seemed to be thinkers, however they were different kinds of thinkers.

Another theme I noticed was the characters blase attitude towards death.

I loved the obscure situations that the characters got into (eg. Butch goes back to his apartment to get his grandfathers watch, fully expecting to find someone wanting to kill him there. However when he arrives, he is relieved to find no one in the apartment. So he begins making some pop tarts, when he notices a gun sitting on the kitchen bench. He then hears a sound in the bathroom and Vincent walks out. Basically Vincent got fucked over because he went to the bathroom at the wrong time.)

Which brings me to another point. A common theme I noticed, was that toilets played a very important role in the movie. Characters going to or being in the toilet basically set off very important things.

eg 1. Mia overdoes because she snorts some of Vincents dope while he is in the toilet.

eg 2. Vincent and Jules manage to get the upperhand on the couple who are robbing the diner they are in, because Vincent was in the toilet when they began the hold up, and when he came out, he was able to point his gun at the red haired woman.

eg 3. The young guy who was hiding in the toilet while Vincent and Jules were shooting the guy and taking the briefcase, jumps out and fires a few shots at close range at Vincent and Jules. Every shot missed, and Vincent and Jules kill him. It is at this point that Jules questions his life, and believes that a miracle has happened, which sets him on a path to leave his life of crime.

Sweeney Todd - As a self confessed musical fan, I was a little disappointed in this aspect of the movie. I thought the dialogue was much more powerful than the musical numbers which were largely repetitive and in general, not that inspiring.

Apart from that, it was a pretty sweet movie. Nice cinematography and characterisations. It was amusing having a couple of ladies in their 80s sitting behind us - I think they really appreciated the gore ;)

Doppelganger said:
Sweeney Todd is officially my favorite movie ever.

Loved it sick.

A truly passionate musical production which just blew my mind. It's about love driving people to insanity - it's full of obsession and of murder. It's not horrifying, and it's only marginally saddening; despite having an existential and deep, dark feel to it -- it truly is a beautiful movie with lots of humorous moments.

10/10. A highly recommended work of genius.
^A-greed miss. :)

Excellent cinematography, scripting, costume and makeup [of course] - the setting was impeccable, the characters likeable and incredible in their own rights, and the plot was more than satisfying.
The part I enjoyed the most [and what is usually present in all of Burton's works] was the whimsical nature of the whole movie even though it was so dark and gothic in the approach.

The self-indulgent, aesthetically brilliant gore scenes really added to the whole feel. Unflinchingly absolutely fabulously brilliant. 124767 stars. =D

Last edited:
CHiLD-0F-THE-BEAT said:
^I'm the only person I know who hated Eternal Sunshine. :|
Hi, my names maddog and i dont like eternal sunshine.
I actually feel guilt when i tell people because they're all: "omfg are you fucking kidding me!?? its the best fucking thing ive ever experienced in my entire fucking existence *w00t* *show breasts* *get tattoo*" ... er, ok

Saw the latest Cohn Bros flik No country for old men last night. Loved the characters, the situational dialog, was boggled by the emotional subtlety and disappointed by the plot which...
NSFW:
kinda finished 3/4 the way through the movie. It did completely make the emotional arc but im not deep enough to appreciate it

I rated it: 12.3 tomatoes / watermelon

^I want to see this.
And ohmygosh I want to hug you right now for being the only person I've ever met who's also hated ES. /Mists up

i thought people who disliked Eternal Sunshine were mythical creatures

^ soulless... the word you are looking for is soulless creatures

God damn it. Ever since I heard kittymeow say how good Eternal Sunshine is, I've been wanting to hire it. But each time I go to the video shop it's hired out (they only have one copy and I can't be bothered going to a bigger store.)

I'm going there this afternoon to try again.

Rated E said:
Which brings me to another point. A common theme I noticed, was that toilets played a very important role in the movie. Characters going to or being in the toilet basically set off very important things.

eg 1. Mia overdoes because she snorts some of Vincents dope while he is in the toilet.

eg 2. Vincent and Jules manage to get the upperhand on the couple who are robbing the diner they are in, because Vincent was in the toilet when they began the hold up, and when he came out, he was able to point his gun at the red haired woman.

eg 3. The young guy who was hiding in the toilet while Vincent and Jules were shooting the guy and taking the briefcase, jumps out and fires a few shots at close range at Vincent and Jules. Every shot missed, and Vincent and Jules kill him. It is at this point that Jules questions his life, and believes that a miracle has happened, which sets him on a path to leave his life of crime.

Its a Tarantino thing, there are a few more subtle references to toilets in the film such as honey bunny wanting to "go pee" during the stand off, Mia "powdering her nose" at Jack Rabbit Slims. Butch speaks to Fabiene whilst seated on the toilet and the scene in the following morning Fabiene is brushing her teeth in the bathroom.

Toilets pop up as either a direct references or as a reference to defecating/pissing in Reservoir Dogs, True Romance and Kill Bill.

I cant recall anyone ever confirming this as something he intentionaly does or if its all just coincidence