• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ

Yeah i was referring to single shots and not solutions meant for storage. Is this also dangerous coz bacteriostatic water is exp and plus this has worked for me the few times i have done it. No fever or sickness to speak of.
For single shots you plan to do immediately then yes, you probably will be fine with sterile water.

It's not specifically dangerous no, I used "expired" sterile water for a while, it still worked fine. However that was prepping shot per shot, not a bulk solution (what you're apparently talking about).

Just a quick question about micron filters.

I have a bunch of filters and am having trouble figuring out what size the filters are due to the confusing description on the box.

The box states that they are "Acrosdisc PF Syringe Filter 0.8/0.2 um Supor Membrane".

So what the hell does 0.8/0.2 um mean? Are they 0.8 microns or 0.2 microns....or neither? Anyone know? Thanks-DG

It looks like someone already answered your question.

I'll kind of describe this so everyone can understand.

A micron filter is designed like this: it has a big round part in the middle, and on the faces, one side where the luer lock attaches (where there's the writing on it), and the other side a smaller hole where the solution comes out - where you can put a needle tip on the end.

The luer lock attaches to the top, and then on that side, there is a 0.8 um filter. Then it passes through a 0.2um filter, and then it comes out the other side.

The Whatman PVDF filters I have utilize three different sized filters. This allows for different sized particles to be removed at different areas, so that there's a smaller chance of the micron filter clogging.

If it was only 0.2um, the larger particles would clog up much, much quicker, and you might end up using several micron filters instead of just one.

I hope this answered your question DG!

^ That means that they have 2 membranes. The first one being 0.8um to filter the larger particles to prevent clogging the final 0.2um membrane.

You should still prefilter with cotton first to prevent clogging the 0.8um membrane with the large shit.

Indeed. Compacted cotton can get as small as 50um pores, and removing stuff larger than 50um in size will prevent the 0.8um layer from clogging as well. :)

I wish this was around when i used to shoot coke. I did get a hold of a stopper bottle i used once but 5 bucks? big deal! To be abel to tale all your dpe and put it in water filter it into a sterille bottle THEN only having to put your syring in the bottle for a shot instead of cotton, worring about cotton fever, shaking and bending the needle in the spoon, etc. how cou one even question? I always wanted one of those setup at the hospital where the iv is in your arm and then alluyou have to do is inject the solution into the works allreadyin your arm instaed of poking,repokingbecuse your not in. Ehh im just getting shaky thinking about the horrors i went through just to get a rush.:!

Hey at least you don't shoot coke anymore! Congratulations on quitting man. Not everyone successfully quits.

I know what you mean though, I estimated I spent a full four days of last year preparing IV shots. Micron filters save your health and time (and time is money)!

Last edited:
Due to the high cost of bacteriostatic water i have decided to endeavor to make my own. I get free sterile water at my SEP and the site i get microns from sells a 50ml sterile vial of benzyl alcohol for 5 dollars which is enough to make 185 30ml solutions of 0.9% bacteriostatic water. The same site has sterile glass vials to mix the solution that are also cheap.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

I've been wondering lately if there is some way to analyze the actual contents of a solution made from a pill (like suboxone/subutex), that has been micron filtered.
Well, obviously there are ways to analyze such a solution, but Im wondering what would be the best way to go about it.

I understand that in theory (in a perfect world), a 0.2 micron filter will filter out all insoluble particles, any particles larger then 0.2 microns, and most bacteria.
However it is my guess that in practice, the micron filters do not act perfectly. I imagine there can be small defects for instance, or other circumstances which would allow for particles to pass through and make it into the solution.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I really would love to analyze a solution that has been passed through a micron filter to see what has actually made it through.
Any suggestions?

Also, Id be interested to hear if people agree that its possible/likely that particles actually end up in the solution, or if people think that if you use a 0.2 micron filter properly, there simply will not be any particles larger then this in the resulting solution. Thanks-DG

I've been wondering lately if there is some way to analyze the actual contents of a solution made from a pill (like suboxone/subutex), that has been micron filtered.
Well, obviously there are ways to analyze such a solution, but Im wondering what would be the best way to go about it.

I understand that in theory (in a perfect world), a 0.2 micron filter will filter out all insoluble particles, any particles larger then 0.2 microns, and most bacteria.
However it is my guess that in practice, the micron filters do not act perfectly. I imagine there can be small defects for instance, or other circumstances which would allow for particles to pass through and make it into the solution.

Perhaps I am being paranoid, but I really would love to analyze a solution that has been passed through a micron filter to see what has actually made it through.
Any suggestions?

Also, Id be interested to hear if people agree that its possible/likely that particles actually end up in the solution, or if people think that if you use a 0.2 micron filter properly, there simply will not be any particles larger then this in the resulting solution. Thanks-DG

Well, it all depends on the quality control of the manufacturer i would assume. If i have a chicken-wire fence and i try to throw 1000 basketballs through it, 0% will go through but that's because i'm sure the manufacturer has an allowable tolerance for the hole size that is negligible to the size of the hole. You could research at whatman or call them and see what their tolerances are for their filters.

Well, it all depends on the quality control of the manufacturer i would assume. If i have a chicken-wire fence and i try to throw 1000 basketballs through it, 0% will go through but that's because i'm sure the manufacturer has an allowable tolerance for the hole size that is negligible to the size of the hole. You could research at whatman or call them and see what their tolerances are for their filters.

Well Im glad you brought up the whole "chicken-wire" analogy, because it relates to this question I am bringing up.

So lets say you have your chicken-wire and it has 2 inch openings. Now obviously these openings should be small enough that a big block of cheddar cheese cannot pass through. However, imagine that you push this block of cheese with some force, through the chicken-wire. The cheese will "squish through", if you know what I mean.

So do you see what Im getting at?
Even though the micron filters have very small openings, when you push down on the plunger and force the solution through the micron filter, is it possible that particles are getting "squished through" the filter?

I guess that is the real essence of my question. Depending on the elasticity/stability of particles or bacteria, isn't it possible that some are actually being forced through the filter in the same way that a block of cheese or other soft/pliable material could be forced through chicken-wire?-DG

Oh man, I would so donate like 0.5 CC of my latest solution if there was a way to get it analyzed in a safe, efficient way.

I just made 30ml of a 2mg/ml solution.

Any suggestions?
I think it comes down to how large the corn starch particles are in Suboxone, the only way to find out is to have an inside scoop with R&B (good luck!), or analyze some of my solution (or someone else's). I am highly interested in this now that you bring it up!

Other than the coloring agent, and possibly the flavoring agent, the only other thing in it would be corn starch.

That's my 2 cents, obviously having it analyzed would be the only real way to find out what's in it, but damn! You certainly have me interested all right! :)

Great inquiries DG!

Due to the high cost of bacteriostatic water i have decided to endeavor to make my own. I get free sterile water at my SEP and the site i get microns from sells a 50ml sterile vial of benzyl alcohol for 5 dollars which is enough to make 185 30ml solutions of 0.9% bacteriostatic water. The same site has sterile glass vials to mix the solution that are also cheap.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Good luck!

I know another BL'er does this, but I'm too lazy. I like getting my 30ml bottles. It's fun to do so. :)

I'd love to hear about how the endeavor turns out for you.

where can you get micron filters? like at cvs?
and do you need a special syringe to use themM

Will these be good for any kind of morphine?

not so much the ones the completely gel up completely - they're useless. glad to hear you're deciding to take this step

where can you get micron filters? like at cvs?
and do you need a special syringe to use themM

dude, have a read through this thread. there's been plenty of sites posted just above. theres also an IV product review thread we have, which you can find through the Directory link in my signature.

i never have a problem with my mscontins gelling up - but i understand some people experience this. and yes, believe it or not people will/do shoot up those gelled solutions - read quite a few people claiming it on here. i wouldn't recommend it.

^well some people claim they do while others don't, i guess it depends on the manufacturer. while the pills i do have do start to coagulate if left in the spoon and stirring too long it doesn't turn into anything that people describe their solutions on here.

if the solution does gel up, it's easy enough to plug it. anyway, this is getting off topic.

So, i recently won an ebay auction for 93 Whatman GD/X 25mm 0.22um micron filters for an incredible deal. If anyone here needs micron filters i will gladly send them for a very reasonable price as i have way more than i will ever need. PM me if you are interested.

Tips for those of us who are micron filtering

A useful tip for trying to figure out how many pills you can get through one filter...

The current solution I am using, I used 7.5 pills in 30ml. This makes a 2mg/ml solution.

Even with pre-cotton filtering (the cotton took up 2-3 CC's of a 25CC syringe - when compacted), I needed to use two micron filters. I probably could have put more than 7.5 pills through by the time I was using the second filter, because though only half of the solution got through the first filter, I think that is due to the insoluble inactives going through the filter first.

You can do the last step upside-down if you are careful, it's kind of tricky. You don't want to pull the micron filtered solution back through the micron filter into the syringe, so you have to be careful not to do that.

Once it gets hard to push upside-down, you have to flip it right side-up if the needle tip's bevel is not above the level of the solution in the vial, so as to prevent pulling your solution backwards through the micron filter.

When it gets hard to push anymore, you can pull the plunger backwards to pull in whatever's clogging the filter, so you can try pushing more in. This may or may not be a simple solution to only using one filter for you, depending on how much you're putting through the filter.

Without pre-filtering, and using enough pills, micron filtering may need more than one or two; hence why I strongly suggest to pre-filter with enough compacted cotton, and to possibly do the last step upside-down if you are trying to prevent the micron filter from getting clogged.

For example, when I micron filter a specific smaller pill, just eight of them is enough to clog the filter as I performed it in the pictures. However, if I do the last step upside-down with the same 8 pills, the inactives drop to the bottom of the syringe, and the above water is fairly clear. This way, the micron filter doesn't have to get clogged until the end of the solution is being filtered. Additionally, it's a lot easier and takes much less time and energy. :)

does anyone know if these micron filters are available at needle exchanges in New York City? I live at home with my parents and don't want to risk them opening up a package of these things... sounds kind of lame, but I do need a place to sleep.

does anyone know if these micron filters are available at needle exchanges in New York City? I live at home with my parents and don't want to risk them opening up a package of these things... sounds kind of lame, but I do need a place to sleep.

I think if you lived in the UK you might find exchanges that hand them out, but not in the US, I don't believe so. It would be easiest to buy a PO box for yourself. :)

they cost 1 dollar in melbourne... the other day i bought 10 .22 grade wheel filters ant the exchange.

last 2 days i've dosed 80mg oxycontin each time, but my problem is that i have to use 4 pills on the one desert spoon lol. i always use a micron filter, or wheel filter as we aussies call them, and 3 cc barrels. using 4 pills at once is a concern as i'm almost filling the whole barrel... 2.5ml. 1.5ml and the another ml for the second wash

i've read so many different opinions on different sites about how to prep... to heat or not to heat etc..., then i rest the spoon in an ice bath to cool it down, chuck in a cotton filter and suck it up, and then repeat with the second wash.

so i end up with roughly an almost full 3cc barrel which i then sit it in the ice bath hoping that any wax solidifys(reading that post on wheel filters suggests that for optimal use the solution should be warm, so i'm a little confused). so my cold 80mg oxy solution gets run through the .22 filter and straight into the back of another ready barrel with the sharp attached.

even though a lot of people say don't use heat.... if i cool down the shot before wheel filtering it, wouldn't that be harm reducing, and making it a safe shot?

also, is keeping a wheel filter in some clean water going to make it safe and effective to use again?

they cost 1 dollar in melbourne... the other day i bought 10 .22 grade wheel filters ant the exchange.
Wow, that's super affordable. 1 Aus dollar? That would be USD$0.847 per filter.

last 2 days i've dosed 80mg oxycontin each time, but my problem is that i have to use 4 pills on the one desert spoon lol. i always use a micron filter, or wheel filter as we aussies call them, and 3 cc barrels. using 4 pills at once is a concern as i'm almost filling the whole barrel... 2.5ml. 1.5ml and the another ml for the second wash

i've read so many different opinions on different sites about how to prep... to heat or not to heat etc..., then i rest the spoon in an ice bath to cool it down, chuck in a cotton filter and suck it up, and then repeat with the second wash.

so i end up with roughly an almost full 3cc barrel which i then sit it in the ice bath hoping that any wax solidifys(reading that post on wheel filters suggests that for optimal use the solution should be warm, so i'm a little confused). so my cold 80mg oxy solution gets run through the .22 filter and straight into the back of another ready barrel with the sharp attached.

even though a lot of people say don't use heat.... if i cool down the shot before wheel filtering it, wouldn't that be harm reducing, and making it a safe shot?

also, is keeping a wheel filter in some clean water going to make it safe and effective to use again?

I wouldn't re-use filters. It's not a good idea.

It's OK if the water is cold the whole time. Oxycodone is absorbed into cold water. I keep my solutions in the fridge, no problems here. There's really no need to heat the solution at all. The heat doesn't help you out at all.