• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Harm Reduction Micron Filtering Mega Thread and FAQ

wow, really good to know since I shoot those Dilaudids also.

One thing I would emphasize as to the whole price debate - re-using a micron filter is a hell of a lot safer than using even a new cotton for every shot. If you have a sterile fluid path, from barrell to filter to needle into vial, you are fine.
Thereafter, I just leave the micron screwed onto the barrell with a needle, capped, or a plastic plug, and aint no bacteria going to grow in that shit, especially if you are good about swabbing with alcohol. If you use bacteriostatic water, you can probably leave it, if you use sterile water, put it in the fridge.

I just found this out, but you can purchase points, bacteriostatic water, tourniquets, alcohol pads, etc.. all from amazon. They have the same water as C.H. links to but in back of 3 instead of 30.

wow, really good to know since I shoot those Dilaudids also.

One thing I would emphasize as to the whole price debate - re-using a micron filter is a hell of a lot safer than using even a new cotton for every shot. If you have a sterile fluid path, from barrell to filter to needle into vial, you are fine.
Thereafter, I just leave the micron screwed onto the barrell with a needle, capped, or a plastic plug, and aint no bacteria going to grow in that shit, especially if you are good about swabbing with alcohol. If you use bacteriostatic water, you can probably leave it, if you use sterile water, put it in the fridge.

To add to this I would say that when I have run out of sterile micron filters and turned to used ones in desperation I have flushed them with bacteriostatic water (put 3ml or so through) and have had no problems. If you can't get your hands on bacteriostatic water you could flush with sterile water, strong alcohol or anti bacterial solution(make sure to flush these out afterwards with sterile water). I would rather reuse a micron filter in this way then use a q-tip or the like.

I have noticed some slight inconsistence in micron filters. Some filters you must push down on the plunger with significant pressure and the water will slowly drip out of the filter. Other filters require less force and water passes through with more easy. These are all the same Whatman .02um Wheel filters. It worries me sometimes when i pick up a new filter that requires less pressure than a previous filter... makes me think that it is not doing as good a job as filters that slowly drip and require a lot of pressure. The end result is the same with both however... a perfectly clear solution. Anybody else experience this?

I have noticed some slight inconsistence in micron filters. Some filters you must push down on the plunger with significant pressure and the water will slowly drip out of the filter. Other filters require less force and water passes through with more easy. These are all the same Whatman .02um Wheel filters. It worries me sometimes when i pick up a new filter that requires less pressure than a previous filter... makes me think that it is not doing as good a job as filters that slowly drip and require a lot of pressure. The end result is the same with both however... a perfectly clear solution. Anybody else experience this?

Yes I have, I don't use Whatman anymore, instead I use Minisart by sartorius stedim and they have been great (and easier, cheaper for me to get and look more professional).

Are the filters you use sterile and individually wrapped? Maybe they have a bit of dust from the environment or more likely just manufacturing process has left the filtering disks slightly overlapped. Either way I'm sure that they would be rigorously tested and if > .2um particles got through they would be fixed.

I don't have any way to test Whatman brand filters quality, but they have been fairly consistent in my experience.

I am anxious to try out a new brand, and will likely try out the Pall brand soon enough.

Thank you both from me and my health, your guides were very informative and clear. After avoiding IV for over a decade I'm sort of forced into it now. The lesser of two evils. I don't trust the folk wisdom too much when HR is an issue, I trust facts and experienced people's advice. I want to do it without fucking myself over any more than needed. I'm in your debt. =)

A few days later: After spending several hours over 2 evening searching I just can't find any way to get these in northern EU. Only one company delivers worldwide and is refusing payment. Here people use tap water and cigarette filters and I don't wanna join them. But I'll find a way, that's not the problem. Had to post because this is making me soooo angry at medical companies and states for their attitude towards drug users. Profits and maintaining the illusion of a perfect society for the majority have killed many people. Thinking of getting lots of these filters and selling them on the Finnish ebay if it is legal, not for profit but out of spite for these attitudes. If I find a place that charges less than $70 for delivery, I'll post it in case other EU folks run into this problem.

Last edited:
IV solution gone wrong help!

So I was attempting to make a bupe/clonidine solution to put in a vial so I don't have to use a new filter everyday. I decided to filter directly into the vial so there'd be no chance of contamination.
The problem is that when I finished the solution was cloudy and orangeish. so i got out another filter and a clean 10cc syringe and filtered again into that.
Can i store it like that in the fridge? its 5 days worth of bupe if I cant I'm screwed.
I used bacteriostatic water and .2 micron filters and it was totally clear the second time. also is there anyway to clean and sterilize the vial?

What exactly are you wondering about?

Cleaning out a vial = noot worth it, as using a new one is a lot easier. If that was your only question, I would just get out a new vial, as a 25ct. tray of vials is not expensive.

As for buying a new vial that isn't an option, I spent the last of my money on that one. would filling it with pure alcohol then sucking that out and washing it with sterile water sterilize it?

So I was attempting to make a bupe/clonidine solution to put in a vial so I don't have to use a new filter everyday. I decided to filter directly into the vial so there'd be no chance of contamination.
The problem is that when I finished the solution was cloudy and orangeish. so i got out another filter and a clean 10cc syringe and filtered again into that.
Can i store it like that in the fridge? its 5 days worth of bupe if I cant I'm screwed.
I used bacteriostatic water and .2 micron filters and it was totally clear the second time. also is there anyway to clean and sterilize the vial?

Yes you can store this easily for two weeks if you were sterile with the whole affair and I would still use it up to a month if it was stored well (though this probably isn't optimal).

As for cleaning out the vial. I would say your method would be relatively safe but if doing this I would use the new solution you put in there within a week, just in case you missed something. Also make sure you rinse very well with sterile water after the alcohol.

Wow! This is great info and wonderfully done! I am looking to start micron filtering my opana er.
I read that you can micron filter these for intranasal use. I want to remove the sillica (micro-crystaline cellulose...) and have a powder to insufflate. Is this possible with this filter? If so
PLEASE PLEASE let me know how!! I dunno if i can pm since im still a greenlighter. I really wanna start doing this to possibly save my life! snorting is the only way opana helps with my pain and i dont wanna die from silicosis. ANY help will be VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!!!
PLEASE HELP!!

thank you all. I knew making an new bluelight was a good decision. I'll try to sterilize that when I make my next batch. I'm planning to rinse it with water that has been boiled caues i cant afford to buy anything else after spending about $80 on supplies. :(

If you can acquire sterile water, it would be exceedingly cost-effective to make your own bacteriostatic water by buying a vial of benzyl alcohol from a website like research supply, so you could add in the 0.9% benzyl alcohol yourself.