• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
My clinic starts you at 35, and then requires you to see the doctor each week for dose increases. I think it is good they do it like this, it took me a month or month and a half to get up to 75 mg and I am stable. If I would have been allowed to go up every day, who knows where I would be. The gradual increase I really believe helps your body get adjusted to the 'done and help the levels build up, so you can be more comfortable on a semi low dose. The average dose at my clinic is around 80mg the Dr. told me. He is a firm believer of staying at the lowest optimal dose, but he has no problem going up a bit if you are getting a little w/d or something. I think his approach is the best, as opposed to some other clinics I have seen that just raise your dose every day and people go up to 200mg or some shit... There may be certain people with different metabolisms, or that REALLY DO have a huge enough tolerance to need 200mg, but in my opinion it is fucking overkill.

Methadone and surgury

Let me see if I got this right, done will mess with other pain meds? make them not work?
My brain just farted I forgot the name of the 200x stronger then morphine.

I was getting 2mg shots after hernia surgery and they didn’t seem to help at all.
I got 30 2 mg tabs to take home and took a bunch and got no relief.
Is it possible that the methadone is interfering with the other pain medicine?

^ ^^methadone and suboxone block other opiates by building your tolerance to extremely high levels, so yeah... for me even being on only 30 mg of methadone, 6 mg of hydrmorphone [what you probably got for your surgery] did almost nothing.

Let me see if I got this right, done will mess with other pain meds? make them not work?
My brain just farted I forgot the name of the 200x stronger then morphine.

I was getting 2mg shots after hernia surgery and they didn’t seem to help at all.
I got 30 2 mg tabs to take home and took a bunch and got no relief.
Is it possible that the methadone is interfering with the other pain medicine?
copy and print the following letter and give toy your surgeon or pain dr. I had kidney stones and this was the only thing that worked with my dr

Dear Doctor:

This is a general letter in reference to our mutual patient(s) maintained on methadone in our Opioid agonist Treatment Program (OTP).

Methadone maintenance has been used in the treatment of opioid dependence since the 1960's. The methadone maintained patient develops complete tolerance to the analgesic, sedative, and euphoric effects of methadone. The stabilized patient also avoids the opioid abstinence (withdrawal) syndrome and opioid-drug craving. Sedation in the stabilized methadone maintained patient is usually attributable to the interaction of other drugs or medical conditions.

The best policy is to coordinate your medical treatment of the patient with his/her OTP. Confidentiality regulations that apply to substance abuse treatment are unique and restrictive; a signed release of information is required before our staff can acknowledge a person is a patient, much less discuss specific issues about his/her treatment. However, even without a release of information, our medical personnel can direct you to appropriate resources or answer questions regarding major drug-drug interactions, cardiac considerations, safety of breastfeeding, pregnancy issue, or other issues related to methadone-maintained patients.

Pain management in the methadone maintained patient is frequently misunderstood. Patients are fully tolerant to their maintenance dose of methadone and no significant analgesia is realized. Relief of pain depends upon prescription of additional medication that is appropriate for the nature of the pain, including long and short acting opioids. Methadone can be an excellent analgesic; however, to be effective for this purpose, it must be administered in divided doses, 2 to 4 times a day, and in a total dose that exceeds the patient’s maintenance dose. A single methadone dose exerts analgesic effects lasting 4 to 8 hours.

For the medical provider treating a methadone maintained patient for pain, coordinating and documenting treatment with the OTP is best from both medical and legal perspectives. Getting written recommendations from the OTP, making written notes of verbal recommendations, using a standard pain-treatment contract with the patient, and documenting the source of pain and treatment history will avoid problems and misunderstandings.

When considering analgesia, some methadone-maintained patients can be managed the same as those without an addiction history; however, others must be monitored closely regarding medications associated with neurobiological reward mechanisms, such as opioids, stimulants, or benzodiazepines. If opioid medication is required, the required dose will be at least 10% to 50% greater than usual. This is due both to high opioid tolerance and reduced pain thresholds of methadone maintained patients. Also, administration of opioid analgesics may need to be more frequent than usual (q 3-4 Hr versus q 4-6 Hr for non opioid tolerant individuals).

If it is necessary to prescribe opioids for self-administration, long-acting drugs are preferred for chronic pain treatment, including methadone. When short-acting opioids are indicated, a week's supply or less of medication with a small number of prescription refills, if any, serve the needs of most methadone maintained patients. Talwin, Stadol, Nubain, and buprenorphine can precipitate severe opioid withdrawal (abstinence syndrome). Many patients experience discomfort with tramadol. Darvon (propoxyphene) and Demerol (meperidine) provide negligible analgesia and, in higher doses, accumulation of metabolites can cause seizures in methadone maintained patients. Naltrexone and naloxone precipitate severe withdrawal.

Some anticonvulsants, tricyclic antidepressants, SSRIs, etc., can be used adjunctively for the treatment of pain. However, NSAIDs, (ibuprofen, rofecoxib, etc.) might promote cirrhosis in patients with Hepatitis C, and should be used only when HCV is known to be absent. Dilantin, phenobarbital, and Tegretol should be avoided because they strongly induce CYP 3A4 metabolism of methadone. If necessary, use of these drugs without causing undue suffering can be accomplished if the methadone dose is increased, even doubled, to balance the rapidly increased metabolism. Caution must then be used when such agents are discontinued to avoid overdose or intoxication when such metabolism rapidly diminishes. Valproic acid, divalproex, and gabapentin are useful alternatives (as of 2/2004).

Methadone maintenance treatment is NOT a contraindication for the appropriated use of psychotropic medication in the 60% of patients, or more, with addictive disorders having Axis I psychiatric comorbidity. While most psychotropic medications have interactions with methadone, which can be consequential, and some have the potential for abuse, most can be used with proper monitoring and awareness. Making individual determinations in each patient regarding the use of benzodiazepines or stimulants is preferable to precluding their use entirely in methadone-maintained patients. Our OTP clinical staff can help you assess risks of diversion, drug abuse, or medication interactions. For problematic patients our clinic might assist with monitoring or administering medications, if appropriate.

Regarding the dually-diagnosed patient, discontinuation of methadone maintenance treatment is contraindicated when stabilization of psychiatric symptoms or pain can be attributed to methadone. Substantial evidence exists that methadone itself may engender potent psychotropic benefits as an antidepressant, antipsychotic, and stabilizer of labile affective states. Finally, there are no contraindications for stabilized OTP patients regarding treatment of hepatic disease, HIV- related illness, or organ transplantation.

Useful information about methadone’s significant interactions with other medications and its metabolic differences from other opiates (such as its metabolism by CYP450 enzymes, propensity for accumulation, etc.) is readily available on the Internet or upon request from our clinic. Please see the following resources from the www.atforum.com web site concerning methadone-drug interactions, cardiac considerations, and dosing and safety issues:

http://www.atforum.com/methadonedruginteractions.shtml

http://www.atforum.com/cardiacmmt.shtml

http://www.atforum.com/dosingandsafety.shtml

Additional information on methadone metabolism and dose ranges required for effective treatment appear on the “Articles” or “Links” pages at www.capqualitycare.com. If discussions of clinical issues or a transfer of records regarding our mutual patient is required, please have the appropriate release of information requests signed and contact us.

Sincerely,
==================

http://www.indro-online.de/letter.htm

Thanks for the letter, it seems that my pain doc doesnt know about the interaction between methadone and other pain killers.
I'm going to chang docs but not before I chew her out.
She had the stones to threaten to throw me out.
If she REALLY knew her stuff she would have seen that I took more to simply get some pain relief.

Thanks again for the letter I'll give her a copy.

Dave

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12426517

how come on this site it says it says iv lasts 24 hours, nasal 10 hours and oral 8 hours, did they just make a mistake and reverse the order? cause it is listed as iv, nasal, oral, then it says 24, 10 and 8 hours respectively which would indicate what I first typed, and they list the onset of max levels the same way as 15 min , 30 min , 2 hours, so did they just make a mistake or does iv really last longer

ta s, I can pick up weekly done script am i lucky

:)?
Don't tell me to UTFSE
I have and most of the posts are people who are on methadone, or are talking about equivilincy with other drugs

I am on 'done myself so I have no idea what a good dose would be if a non-opiate user wanted to get smashed

Please any help would be apppreciated,
sooner the better, as it may stop someone i know doing too much

The Habit Opco clinic I went to you had to be on the clinic for 90 days to be eligible for one take home, and then you got an additional one per month. Couldn't smoke weed though, so it was never an option for me.

suboxone if you want off , methadone if ur a lifer.

simple and true. I would go farther and suggest starting on suboxone even if you think you are a lifer, it is crazy how our opinions change over time. i've been on methadone a year and a half now and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to come off it my dose is simply to high and I believe this shit can permanently change your brain chemistry (not to mention the cognitive defects is causes)

simple and true. I would go farther and suggest starting on suboxone even if you think you are a lifer, it is crazy how our opinions change over time. i've been on methadone a year and a half now and I'm not sure I'll ever be able to come off it my dose is simply to high and I believe this shit can permanently change your brain chemistry (not to mention the cognitive defects is causes)

You are wrong on pretty much every level.

Methadone is the most researched drug there is and there is not one shred of evidence that supports your wild theory and many studies that state that it does not cause any such damage. No cognitive defects or impairment what so ever unless you are abusing it.

It is hard to get off of methadone but it is not all impossible no matter how high your dose is. I know many people that have done so successfully including more than one that were taking well over 200mg/day. Your brain chemistry will come back to normal over time after you stop. This is a fact.

Please do not spread false rumors on here. Just because you have a pessimistic view of your own problem. You can quit if you work hard enough at it.

Methadone is the most researched drug there is and there is not one shred of evidence that supports your wild theory and many studies that state that it does not cause any such damage. No cognitive defects or impairment what so ever unless you are abusing it.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1046/j.1360-0443.2000.9556874.x/abstract
http://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...34a0e3fc84872874b3aefea9d3ace860&searchtype=a
http://content.karger.com/ProdukteD...oduktNr=224233&Ausgabe=225635&ArtikelNr=19004

Those are just 3 studies, cognitive issues are well documented with methadone maintenance. and what do you mean in only people who abuse it? most of the people on ultrahigh doses do it perfectly legit through clinics. show me a single study saying methadone DOESNT cause cognitive defects -- you are lying or simply misinformed.

Your brain chemistry will come back to normal over time after you stop. This is a fact.

Please stop making up facts.

I can't find the study right now but there are studies that suggest a permanent change from methadone and absolutely none saying it is impossible. i can't find the link right now and I'm at work so I don't really have time to search but I have posted it in this forum before and I will be back to link to it again once I get home.

Please do not spread false rumors on here. Just because you have a pessimistic view of your own problem. You can quit if you work hard enough at it.

My view is backed by science.. yours is simply wishful thinking.

It is VERY tough, but if you have the willpower and proper support around you, as well as having your life, as well as emotions/mentality under control, then it is most definitely possible. A lot of people who have gotten off of methadone i am sure do not participate in forums dedicated to drug use.

Of course it is possible.. but most people with large amounts of will power aren't opiate addicts in the first place.

http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/full/19/3/242

Young drug abusers are up to three times more likely to suffer brain damage than those who don't use drugs, according to research published online by Neuropathology and Applied Neurobiology.

Scientists at the University of Edinburgh studied the brains of 34 deceased intravaneous drug abusers of heroin and methadone and compared them to the brains of 16 young people who were not drug users. Their examination revealed brain damage in the drug abusers normally seen in much older people.

The damaged nerve cells were in the areas of the brain involved in learning, memory and emotional well being, and were similar to damage found in the early stages of Alzheimer's disease.

"Our study shows evidence of an increased risk of brain damage associated with heroin and methadone use, which may be highest in the young, when individuals are most likely to acquire the habit" said co-author Jeanne Bell Professor of Neuropathology. "We found that the brains of these young drug abusers showed significantly higher levels of two key proteins associated with brain damage."

"In a previous study we found out that drug abuse causes low grade inflammation in the brain. Taken together, the two studies suggest that intravenous opiate abuse may be linked to premature ageing of the brain," Bell said.

Heroin and Methadone Cause Damage
The average age in these two groups in the study was only 26 years and included some drug abusers as young as 17.

"Tau protein, which in its soluble form is essential for communication and transport within brain cells, had become insoluble in some cells, causing nerve cell damage and death in selected areas of the brain," the authors reported. "Other nerve cells showed an accumulation of the amyloid precursor protein, which suggests that protein transport had been disrupted and the nerve cell functions affected."

Severe Nerve Cell Damage
"This study shows that drug abuse can lead to a build up of proteins which cause severe nerve cell damage and death in essential parts of the brain. This is very worrying as there are strong indications that drug use in the UK, in particular opiates like heroin and methadone, has continued to rise in recent years" says Professor Bell.

"The drug abusers we looked at in the study sadly died at a young age, but there are many others who don't realise the long-term effects that these drugs may be causing."

^that is an interesting article nervousone, but it doesn't establish whether or not the supposed 'brain damage' was from heroin or methadone. It doesn't say anything about people who take methadone orally, and Iving methadone is stupid in its own right. Also it doesn't say whether or not these individuals abused other drugs, such as cocaine and amphetamines and whatnot, which are much more likely to be neurotoxic.

It is possible I guess, but I don't think that one study is definitive proof that methadone can cause brain damage.

I heard that if you take mdone one day it builds up and if you take it the next day you can od. Is this true? Because I took about 15 mg to get high today

I heard that if you take mdone one day it builds up and if you take it the next day you can od. Is this true? Because I took about 15 mg to get high today

The half life of methadone is quite long, around 30 hours or more depending on the individual. So yes, if you dose on consecutive days some of the drug is still in you when you take the next dose. This causes them to build up over a couple of days and if you are not tolerant and take a little too much, it is possible to be pushed over the edge into dangerous territory.

I never claimed the study as definitive proof (and it most certainly isn't!)... but one can't ignore it either..

I only disagree with someone claiming it is *fact* that methadone can not cause permanent changes in the brain when it is a possibility.

I think everyone should look at the science and make their own personal informed decision on the matter.

I contend that being on methadone is preferable to being an active addict on street drugs but it irritates me when people claim it is harmless.

I never claimed the study as definitive proof (and it most certainly isn't!)... but one can't ignore it either..

I only disagree with someone claiming it is *fact* that methadone can not cause permanent changes in the brain when it is a possibility.

I think everyone should look at the science and make their own personal informed decision on the matter.

I contend that being on methadone is preferable to being an active addict on street drugs but it irritates me when people claim it is harmless.

Yes definitely a valid point. I don't think it is harmless either. And it is definitely the best thing to look at the science and make an informed, educated opinion rather than just spewing out un-founded opinions. I wasn't saying you claimed it was fact, either. Just stating that in my opinion it wasn't definitive proof either way. Interesting study none the less, though. I read the whole article from your source, interesting indeed.

Thanks

I agree nervousone I don't believe there are any completely safe pharmaceuticals if you are going to use you need to take risk and reward into account

One other thing worth mentioning is that people who were on methadone scored lower on cognition tests then controls even after the cessation of methadone treatment. This doesn't mean that the changes are permanent per say, but it does show that the effects can take a long time to reverse.

Again I want to stress I'm not anti methadone (I'm on the program myself), but it is not something you should jump into without studying first -- but I personally believe it is always worth giving bupe a try first because for many people it works just as well as methadone

There are certainly people whose lives have been saved with opiate replacement therapy and I am glad it is available.

Status
Not open for further replies.