• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Methadone Mega Thread and FAQ v 2.0

Hey guys. I'm on MMT, and I think I'm in my 4th year or so. I was on 100mg for several years, then went down to 95mg, then recently went down to 90mg, then to 85mg. As of right now, I decided to taper nice and SLOW....going down only 5mg every month, since I'm not really in a hurry (I can always taper faster or slower as needed). I'm a full time father raising a 5 year old by myself, AND working full time, so I really can't taper as fast as I'd like.

Anyway, my question is this: For those of you on MMT, especially those of you who have been in MMT for a long time (1+ years), do you notice that you aren't able to feel, emotionally, as you did before using methadone or perhaps opiates in general?

My biggest problem with methadone right now is that I feel like my emotions have become clogged, or deadened. In fact, the only 2 times I ever really feel emotions are when I'm in the beginning stages of WD (if I havent taken my dose in 36+ hours), or in my dreams. The dream thing is REALLY weird, because in my dreams I experience and feel ALL KINDS of emotions, and therefore I honestly feel far more alive when I'm dreaming then when I'm awake.

I'm hoping that as I continue to taper, I will slowly but surely regain my emotions. The worst part is I feel like I've been a zombie these past few years on MMT, and whats even worse than that, is most of the time I don't even REALIZE it.

When I used oxy or H, at least I had a buzz, but with methadone, I just feel flat, zombie-like, emotionless, almost like I'm watching each day pass over and over without even being involved.

Anyway, this is a hard concept for me to articulate, so I hope at least one person can relate a little bit, and give me their perspective.

Thanks guys

WEll, I cannot (wholly) relate to that. BUt I still say few things.

Taper if you feel so, but I think you could also do something to that emotionlessness thing. Start doing something active. Go out and walk, hike, bicycle or whatever. Get up and go out, don't sit indoors all the time... I believe you can find some (active) emotions from out there

In my honest opinion, that would be a miracle, if you could not feel emotions when you are active. Smell the air around you and watch things, while you move. Well, don't mind if I'll ask... cause I will, haha. But could you really say you don't feel emotions or anything if you listen music for example?

The problem of our times is that we always seem to seek something working on us. Be it drugs, big emotions or something which does something to us, while we stay in inactive role. And we tend to seek problems in us or from that something, if that something doesn't move ourselves just the way we wish. We seek emotions, buzz, or something larger than a life. That not the way it works...Instead, start living your life as an active agent, don't be a spectator. Some people need medicine, some don't; but that's not a big deal. Don't make a problem out of it. Namely, you could always find problem if you want.

There are innumerable things you could regret and see as a problem all the time. When you are off of drugs, you could think they ruined you; you could think you lost you life or so and so many days. Instead of that, think your life as a learning process, as a lesson or an continuous experience, process of learning to cope. You could learn from this and that, and of each and every barrier you go over. And, of course, it doesn't have to be a barrier which could teach you. Positive things are better teachers

I'm not overly positive person myself, must admit. But my life is no worse than anyone else's. I probably need methadone all my life, but what the HELL: I don't care! I do what it requires and then I keep walking on... .

BTW. Of course opiates make you less vulnerable to any sort of outer itch (be it pain or, overflowing emotions). I think it's sort of cool to not be a teenager anymore. I mean, I don't necessarily need to feel those emotion of youth anymore.

Cheers!

Ps. whatever you choose to do, I hope you'll success

I was on methadone for two years and had to take a bus hour to the clinic then walk 30 mins and back in Hawaii . I enjoyed the trip cuz I would be drinking on the bus etc the. Get to the clinic drunk and dose then got my take homes when I found work

Methadone did make me emotionally numb and maybe a lil agro but I was drinking on it too alot . I got arrested and did 2 months in jail and cold turkeyrd both done and booze . The booze wd was worse I was on 80mg of done I tapered to 40 . After two months I was not getting any recreational effects from it .

Went back to dope after jail

39 days sober now in rehab

I'm just scared I might get back on methadone maybe I need it

I just wanted to comment that I have dropped from 95 mg to 55 mg (current dose) over the last 10 months or so. I'm not really following a schedule, I have just been randomly telling them to take me down 5mg.

I have noticed absolutely no difference, other than maybe feeling slightly less lethargic during the day. I don't feel the drops, I don't feel differently after them.

I just wanted to post that for the people who are so scared of tapering methadone due to all the negative posts. There is another side to the story.

When done properly and slowly, methadone detox is not the evil villain it's made out to be. (Cold turkey, or 7 day detoxes on the other hand are evil..)

Anyway--a ray of hope for others out there :)

If Sir is on 75mgs m-done daily will a stash of 50mg H-codone, 20mg Oxycodone, and 4mg dilly do anything? It has been roughly 20 hrs since last m-done dose.

OGghostie420.. You said you did a 21 day detox. At the clinic? Could you explain to me how they did it and did you feel withdrawals?

Oh yeah and in regards to not using Dones for a quick taper, that's actually the ONLY time I've been able you successfully detox without rehab or anything on my own was with methadones help. (like 20mg day 1. Day 2 15mg, day 3 10mg)And long as you stick to the min you can handle, and DON'T let yourself get carried away..like make sure your ass stops after a week, max!! (it's scary) That way your body has time for heroin to clear out, without getting too hooked on the methadone!! Kinda smart really huh?
Bc as you folks know, the reason they don't tell you that you can do that at the clinics is they gotta make their money somehow right? The longer were coming back.. These more$ we spend andblah blah anyway thanks for the help guys:)

Hey you said you did a quick taper. please message me or respond im stuck in a rut and need to find someone to talk to about tapering and drtoxing. Thank you

If Sir is on 75mgs m-done daily will a stash of 50mg H-codone, 20mg Oxycodone, and 4mg dilly do anything? It has been roughly 20 hrs since last m-done dose.

Most likely not. Keep in mind that Methadone has an extremely long half life. Sorry if I disappointed you :(

Hey BL members.....first off thank you all the contributions....I can only imagine how many you have helped.....been on a bit of Tina binge....daily use for a couple months....vicious cycle but i grabbed a methadone wafer fot tomorrow.....I have pretty much done all there is to do but done....my boy said its a great bridge....i work in an engineering office so I can't show signs in on any

Hey Lalavix yes I was on a 21day detox I actually did it twice in 2013 and 2014 this is how this facility worked it was located in reseda California the first day they start you off on 38 mg of methadone the second day 40 mg and fro that day they start dropping 2mg a day for 21 days till you're at 0 for me I only had very mild withrawal symptoms for 3 days after my last dose but it wasn't something I couldn't deal with no matter how much you last tapering you're always going to feel some discomfort but not as bad as cold turkey... It helped me cause I was going to NA as well and I just wanted to quit using so that was a big help... You have to be in the mind set to quit it won't work if you're just in it to feel a buzz... Now I am currently on methadone maintenance since November 9, 2015 I have not smoked heroin since this actually saved my life I'm on 80mg a day and I feel normal I hope I could help keep in touch if you have anymore questions :)

Hello. I need to just put this out there. I have been on methadone for almost 10 years. It was a life saver for me.. but it also damn near took my life as well. I had been doing exactly what everyone on here says they do an "Double" a dose or do it often. I got very use to it no problem.. UNTIL.. it became a HUGE PROBLEM. People need to understand methadone overdose does NOT happen immediately. For me it took almost 6 months. Of taking high daily doses, until my body just shut down.. no warning signs, no clue it was going to happen nothing. I went to sleep and didn't wake up.. LUCKILY I was visiting family and they found me and called 911.. SOMEHOW I got to hospital and revived. But I now have a pacemaker and defibrillator in my chest FOR LIFE. I need to mention I was 27 years old and in better than average shape. Athlete my whole life never done any drug other than oxys ( prescribed legally from several surgeries) I NEVER mixed methadone with any benzos or anything. I didn't even smoke weed. Sorry post so long but I need to get out there that although methadone is great and is incredibly helpful to millions of people.. it CAN AND IS DANGEROUS if abused. But not like shooting up u od immediately.. takes time. Any questions please ask I'll clarify. I'm not in the LEAST BIT JUDGING ANYONE AT ALL. To each their own, I'm just adding my personal experience and maybe help another person along the way.. Thx

After reading most of this thread it's clear to see everyone is all over the board in feelings about methadone. The "Stigma" I guess will never go away.. But as a long time user of methadone (9yrs, I get monthly take homes only go to clinic once a month, never a dirty ua) I can say it saved my life. No one would ever be able to tell I'm on it unless I told you. The ppl I do tell hardly believe me. I work own a business and function just as any "normal" person does. So I believe methadone is a personal choice and I wld never judge anyone for doing it or staying on it. My only suggestion is do reasearch and know what your doing. If your going to try to get high with it be careful, it builds and can kill even heavy opiate users..

Hey Lalavix yes I was on a 21day detox I actually did it twice in 2013 and 2014 this is how this facility worked it was located in reseda California the first day they start you off on 38 mg of methadone the second day 40 mg and fro that day they start dropping 2mg a day for 21 days till you're at 0 for me I only had very mild withrawal symptoms for 3 days after my last dose but it wasn't something I couldn't deal with no matter how much you last tapering you're always going to feel some discomfort but not as bad as cold turkey... It helped me cause I was going to NA as well and I just wanted to quit using so that was a big help... You have to be in the mind set to quit it won't work if you're just in it to feel a buzz... Now I am currently on methadone maintenance since November 9, 2015 I have not smoked heroin since this actually saved my life I'm on 80mg a day and I feel normal I hope I could help keep in touch if you have anymore questions :)

Your response made me very optimistic :).. Another question thouhh, you said after the 21 day taper, you only felt wd for 3 days mildly.. How long did you stay clean after that?

You would never know I'm on it either. I have a total normal life. I work and take care of three kids. In my opinion if you are still trying to get high you aren't ready for mmt yet. Its the people who arent ready and abuse it or other drugs on top of it give it a bad name. They end up in jail or kicked out for not following the program and methadone becomes evil bc they dont taper properly. They blame the medication and not their actions. If taken right you should not od bc You are monitored and supposed to be honest about how you are feeling not trying to get high.

I need to taper as quickly as possible. I was told I need surgery on my ankle sooner than later. I've been on MMT only two months, but I am at 75mg. I told my counsellor and he said he'd reduce me 5mg/week. My surgeon wants me to schedule beginning of march. I DON't want to tell my surgeon I'm on MMT. My councellor pretty much said I'd prob get to 20 mg then they would just let me go..... any advice?

You need to tell ur surgeon ur on methadone!! Not knowing that and putting u under anesthesia CAN KILL YOU.. Idk how quickly ur gonna taper and jump.. but if ur still on it or have just quite right at time of ur surgery u need to tell them.. that's very dangerous. I've had surgeries on mmt with no problem. Even gave me pain killers after. But I was HONEST with them.. please just be careful hiding info from your doctor!!!

Definitely tell him. Why would you have to be off to have surgery? Are you even ready to come off? i think i would relapse in fact i know i would if i came off. Its only been a few months for me too. Last time I rushed off subs i relapsed before I even jumped! Good luck and really think about the consequences

Not to hijack the 'done thread, but I'm having a nerve conduction test in the morn. Which will hopefully figure out if I need neck or wrist surgery (numb right hand for almost a mth).

Does anyone (other than an anaesthetist) know what happens when a pre or post OP patient is on max subs?

Rtp

I honestly wish I never went on in the first place. I feel like I am a prisoner to this stuff. I have had ankle pain ever since I shattered it 10 years ago. The reason I went to the clinic is because I never got appropriate pain management due to lack of insurance. I was getting pain pills off the street and at $30/pill I couldn't afford them. A friend of mine convinced me to go saying the methadone would help with my pain. Well 2 months after starting at the clinic, they have found bone cysts that will require surgery to have them removed and a bone graft to hopefully prevent my ankle from collapsing.

I stayed clean for 6 months the longest I have ever been clean and that means no methadone no pain killers no heroin no alcohol no marijuana no subutex etc. I was clean it was great but I stumbled like any other human being does but at least I am alive and I am able to try again :) you will always have a chance as long as you're alive and not in jail :) hope this helps!

This message is for Lalavix btw!