Mental Health Meth To Treat ADHD?

harbivores

Bluelighter
Has anyone here tried taking methamphetamine to treat adhd? There is a prescription called DESOXYN it’s methamphetamine hcl. I suffer from very low motivation to do things that I don’t find to be fun.

I’m thinking of asking my psychiatrist for a rx for desoxyn next visit. I tried various amphetamine based medication in the past and they all had horrible rebound side effects such as anxiety

I was wondering if any of you having any experiences with meth to treat adhd? If so how did it go?

This can be a very dangerous path to go down. If you decide to do it, you must use clean, unadulterated methamphetamine and only consume it orally. Start with very low doses (5-10mg is what Desoxyn prescriptions usually start at) and try to keep the dosage low.

Have you tried Adderall and Dexedrine first?
Which dosages were giving you rebound anxiety?
Methamphetamine will not necessarily lack this issue and can often cause a worse comedown than regular amphetamines for most people.

]
This can be a very dangerous path to go down. If you decide to do it, you must use clean, unadulterated methamphetamine and only consume it orally. Start with very low doses (5-10mg is what Desoxyn prescriptions usually start at) and try to keep the dosage low.

Methamphetamine will not necessarily lack this issue and can often cause a worse comedown than regular amphetamines for most people.
Yes I tried adderall and I would get melt downs everyday. Whenever it would wear off I would feel a ‘comedown’. Dosages ranges from 20mg up to 40mg.

As for Dexedrine dosage was 10mg and unfortunately the doctor only gave me 1 month supply and refused to refill because it had too much addiction potential. I have a new doctor now. I remember the Dexedrine spansules having less side effects than Adderall or Vyvanse. It’s too bad that I didn’t get to try it longer.

My plan would be to take low dose 5-10mg of methamphetamine orally every now and then. I would not use it daily in order to prevent tolerance. Of course that’s assuming I’m able to acquire a prescription. The mistake I made In the past is that I took my adhd meds everyday instead of only using them on occasion to get stuff done.

This disucussion comes up periodocially on Bluelight and the threads invariably go the same way:

1. A bunch of people who believe they have ADHD but cannot get a diagnosis for it and therefore cannot get a script for stimulants claim they small doses of street meth have been very effective for them. A good proportion of theser posters came back a few years later batshit crazy through meth addiction.

2. A bunch of people whoe like stimulants for energy or motivation ot to help with motivation and have faked their way into a prescription for something like Adderall or Dex turn up and discuss the best way to "upgrade" to meth because of growing tolerance to their Adderall or Dex prescription. These people don't actuallty have ADHD.

3. A bunch of people who havie been professionally diagnosed with ADHD years ago and still take their prescribed stimulant dose read the posts about tolerance and get confused: becasue everyone knows people genuine ADHD do not suffer from growing tolerance (or withdrawal) from prescribed doses of stimulants.

4. Someone sensible reminds everybody that while Desoxyn is indicated for treatment-resistant ADHD it is only prescribed as a last resort after all stimulant and non-stimulant medication has been trialled. In clinnical practice this is usually running the patient through several stims which depending on location will be Ritalin, Lisdexamfetamine, Adderal, Dexamfetamine and waiting to which one has most benefits and least side effects. Then a last ditch effort wll be made with a non-stimulant medication like Strattera with or without Clonidine and with or without one of several aother classes of antidepressant. Then, when nothing at has worked the doctor might try Desoxyn (usually in consultation with a colleague provdiing a second opinion

It's so rare in clinical practice (about 16,000 scripts written per year in US) that it is almost unexmined in the literature. It was approved in 1975 (?) for use in ADHD for children WITHOUT ever undergoing trials for short-term efficacy and safety let alone any long-term studies looking at long term risks. This actually the case with several amphetamines approved for use in ADHD. It just kind of happened on the basis of no evidence or study and became best practice. Where there is actually any evidence that meth is an option in ADHD it is ONLY in case studies of the treatment of children with co-morbid conditions (e.g. autism or OCDC etc) and in conjunction with an SSRI (usually fluoxitine) or other substance.

Bottom line, there is a no evidence for the safety or effectieness of Desoxyn eityher in the short-term or long-term. There is especially no evidence addressing the question of tolerance and addiction.

This disucussion comes up periodocially on Bluelight and the threads invariably go the same way:

1. A bunch of people who believe they have ADHD but cannot get a diagnosis for it and therefore cannot get a script for stimulants claim they small doses of street meth have been very effective for them. A good proportion of theser posters came back a few years later batshit crazy through meth addiction.

2. A bunch of people whoe like stimulants for energy or motivation ot to help with motivation and have faked their way into a prescription for something like Adderall or Dex turn up and discuss the best way to "upgrade" to meth because of growing tolerance to their Adderall or Dex prescription. These people don't actuallty have ADHD.

3. A bunch of people who havie been professionally diagnosed with ADHD years ago and still take their prescribed stimulant dose read the posts about tolerance and get confused: becasue everyone knows people genuine ADHD do not suffer from growing tolerance (or withdrawal) from prescribed doses of stimulants.

4. Someone sensible reminds everybody that while Desoxyn is indicated for treatment-resistant ADHD it is only prescribed as a last resort after all stimulant and non-stimulant medication has been trialled. In clinnical practice this is usually running the patient through several stims which depending on location will be Ritalin, Lisdexamfetamine, Adderal, Dexamfetamine and waiting to which one has most benefits and least side effects. Then a last ditch effort wll be made with a non-stimulant medication like Strattera with or without Clonidine and with or without one of several aother classes of antidepressant. Then, when nothing at has worked the doctor might try Desoxyn (usually in consultation with a colleague provdiing a second opinion

It's so rare in clinical practice (about 16,000 scripts written per year in US) that it is almost unexmined in the literature. It was approved in 1975 (?) for use in ADHD for children WITHOUT ever undergoing trials for short-term efficacy and safety let alone any long-term studies looking at long term risks. This actually the case with several amphetamines approved for use in ADHD. It just kind of happened on the basis of no evidence or study and became best practice. Where there is actually any evidence that meth is an option in ADHD it is ONLY in case studies of the treatment of children with co-morbid conditions (e.g. autism or OCDC etc) and in conjunction with an SSRI (usually fluoxitine) or other substance.

Bottom line, there is a no evidence for the safety or effectieness of Desoxyn eityher in the short-term or long-term. There is especially no evidence addressing the question of tolerance and addiction.

Thanks for the answer. I feel Desoxyn is the type of medication that you have to ask your doctor for as they don’t normally prescribe it to patients. Even if there is little research on it It can’t be worse than the nightmare that is Adderall or Vyvanse? Those two medication turned me into a soul-less robot that would snap at everyone. The comedowns are horrible and the stimulation lasts way too long. Ritalin was like a worse version of Adderall.

My plan is to possibly ask my new doctor for methamphetamine. I would prefer the meth though since I’ve already tried dex ( which I found it to be kinda jittery tbh but not as bad as other adhd stims)
If he offers me anything else, I will refuse it and tell him that I don’t want to treat my ADHD.

Last edited:
My plan is to possibly ask my new doctor for methamphetamine. I would prefer the meth though since I’ve already tried dex ( which I found it to be kinda jittery tbh but not as bad as other adhd stims)
If he offers me anything else, I will refuse it and tell him that I don’t want to treat my ADHD.
Please read that out loud and explain to me how a doctor will see that as anything other than drug-seeking.
The correct way to do this would be to explain that your Dexedrine, Adderall, and Vyvanse prescriptions did not work and made you feel like shit.
Say that you want to try something else and that you heard online about something called 'Desoxyn' and ask if your doctor has heard of it.
There's a good chance that it won't work, and I again do not recommend going down this road, but it's better than the way you are planning on asking.

Last edited:
I had a desoxyn script at 40mg/day. Low dose meth is too dopaminergic and not adrenergic enough, I found it sleepy.

Overall, methamphetamine should work fine at low doses but using street crystal meth to "treat ADHD", almost withour exception, turns south rather fast.

The correct way to do this would be to explain that your Dexedrine, Adderal, and Vyvanse prescriptions did not work and made you feel like shit.
Say that you want to try something else and that you heard online about something called 'Desoxyn' and ask if your doctor has heard of it.
Yeah, that’s what I meant by asking my doctor for meth. I was just too lazy to write up all the details. I’m not going to outright ask him for meth. “Can you give me Desoxyn” Thanks for looking out though.
I had a desoxyn script at 40mg/day. Low dose meth is too dopaminergic and not adrenergic enough, I found it sleepy.

Overall, methamphetamine should work fine at low doses but using street crystal meth to "treat ADHD", almost withour exception, turns south rather fast.

That’s kinda good news to me because I hate the adregenic feeling.

What I liked about stimulant meds was the euphoria you get when you first start taking them. That’s what gives me the motivation to do things. I’m just looking for the “yay I’m happy” feeling so I can go do things that are a pain in the ass.

However habitual use of stimulant meds was hell. You quickly learn there is no euphoria if you take them everyday as prescribed. I was miserable.

I haven’t taken stimulants for years and I am happier without them. I don’t get anything done and I have to half ass my way through most things. There is a part of me that doesn’t want to be prescribed anything because then I might be tempted to take it everyday.

What I liked about stimulant meds was the euphoria you get when you first start taking them. That’s what gives me the motivation to do things.
They're great for that, however based on what you just wrote--^ I can almost guarantee you that your well intentioned meth self administration will very quickly spiral out of control. You'll not be able to stop yourself from chasing that euphoria and your 20mg doses will very quickly turn into 100mg, 200mg, etc...

It's too easy to chase that euphoria.

Try to get some adderall instead, honestly bro. You don't need rocket fuel in your car, regular car fuel will work just fine.

They're great for that, however based on what you just wrote--^ I can almost guarantee you that your well intentioned meth self administration will very quickly spiral out of control. You'll not be able to stop yourself from chasing that euphoria and your 20mg doses will very quickly turn into 100mg, 200mg, etc...

It's too easy to chase that euphoria.

Try to get some adderall instead, honestly bro. You don't need rocket fuel in your car, regular car fuel will work just fine.
Adderall is not a good medicine. Too much peripheral stimulation which feels dirty.
Reading your posts is quite confusing. To be completely honest it just seems like you want to get some prescribed meth, and are not really that interested in genuinely improving your ADHD symptoms 🤷‍♀️

You’re right. I’m just looking for free and pure prescribed meth to replace my caffeine consumption. I would make a drink mixed with water, Gatorade powder and crushed 5mg meth to drink throughout the day. I don’t even think I’m going to ask my doctor for anything because I’m too lazy to convince him. Besides I highly doubt that he will give it to me. I’m willing to negotiate with him and downgrade to a Rx of D-amp.

I really don’t judge anyone their drug habits or how they obtain their drugs but I think one thing that puts the general public against drug users is their taking up the time of doctors with their drug-seeking scammy bullshit.

It’s created a situation where legitimate patients with serious pain problems or serious psychiatric problems are treated with suspicion from the get go and find it very difficult to be believed and get useful meds.

I feel sorry for adults newly diagnosed with things like ADHD or chronic pain.

I’m not saying I’ve never over-exageratted my insomnia or anxiety to get a repeat of diazepam or zoilpidem but at least I have genuine underlying condition on the one hand and diligently follow all the non-pharmaceutical based recommendations for improving symptoms rather than devoting my life to scamming dosage increases for my dex or getting an “upgrade” to desoxyn.

Adderall is not a good medicine. Too much peripheral stimulation which feels dirty.

You’re right. I’m just looking for free and pure prescribed meth to replace my caffeine consumption. I would make a drink mixed with water, Gatorade powder and crushed 5mg meth to drink throughout the day. I don’t even think I’m going to ask my doctor for anything because I’m too lazy to convince him. Besides I highly doubt that he will give it to me. I’m willing to negotiate with him and downgrade to a Rx of D-amp.

Maybe try some n-methylcyclazodone, it is meth like (with reduced abuse potential).

I really don’t judge anyone their drug habits or how they obtain their drugs but I think one thing that puts the general public against drug users is their taking up the time of doctors with their drug-seeking scammy bullshit.

It’s created a situation where legitimate patients with serious pain problems or serious psychiatric problems are treated with suspicion from the get go and find it very difficult to be believed and get useful meds.

I feel sorry for adults newly diagnosed with things like ADHD or chronic pain.

I’m not saying I’ve never over-exageratted my insomnia or anxiety to get a repeat of diazepam or zoilpidem but at least I have genuine underlying condition on the one hand and diligently follow all the non-pharmaceutical based recommendations for improving symptoms rather than devoting my life to scamming dosage increases for my dex or getting an “upgrade” to desoxyn.
So how different are you from anyone else up on here?
You credit this behavior then take it-discredit- away, by discrediting the samr G damn behavior that people do to get a legitimate rx. I think anyone is conscious enough to know exactly what it is that they are doing when going every month to get and maintain a monthly supply.

So how different are you from anyone else up on here?
You credit this behavior then take it-discredit- away, by discrediting the samr G damn behavior that people do to get a legitimate rx. I think anyone is conscious enough to know exactly what it is that they are doing when going every month to get and maintain a monthly supply.
I’m not 100 % sure I understand what you asking me to answer.

As to the difference between me and anyone else around here it’s primarily that I’m usually worse at most things that really matter in life. And possibly also that I have less shame, more aberrant sexual tastes, and mostly no problem with the state of liberal democro-capitalism in most of countries I’d ever spend time in as well as generally hating people who complain without offering practical solutions and pitching in to fix things.

So it’s quite rare for me to write a post like the one you have picked up on cause it went further than just being a general observation of the facts and turned into what is clearly a personally felt complaint now that I’ve re-read it after you brought it back to my attention.

I think I might double down though. And my comments are restricted to Australia though people with more local knowledge in other places might say the issues exist there.

I’ve been a drug fiend and occasional uncontrollable addict for 35 years. But mostly I’ve been a pretty solid citizen who pays a fuckload of taxes most of which is used to support our welfare system and our universal heath care system. I totally believe ideologically in both systems and am happy and proud to live in a country that has them. I even donate more than my taxes every year to certain parents of both systems that I think are exemplary.

But what I fucking hate and have hated my whole life (and I’m generally a full of love for my fellow man kind of person) are malingerers and free-riders. People who have the physical, mental, and most importantly moral capacity to give a bit more to society and takes a bit less. The way our welfare system and health care systems are designed creates great incentives for malingerers and free riders of all kinds.

That is the necessary background to understanding my previous cranky post about drug fiends scamming scripts and soaking up health and welfare resources in all kinds of scammy ways. I’ve been through both public and private rehabs and psych hospitals and met so many people who are professional parasites on these systems. I’ve also have had many drug world associates who live in public/welfare housing. Just the other day I visited one who had enough meth in his government provided apartment to buy a waterfront mansion in Sydney’s best suburbs and maybe get a yacht to park in front of it. But every week he’s down the dole office making sure he gets that $200.

I think I’ve gone off topic in a kind of stream of consciousness ranty essay here. I’m not sure why. I didn’t sleep well last night and my dog has just shat through the house so I’m not in a good mental state.

But basically, with plenty of evidence on BL to validate my point, stim fiends who go to elaborate lengths to fake ADHD to secure a regular and legitimate supply of government subsidised amphetamine from their government subsidised doctor are quite common and fall into my category of free-riders. They also very often fall into my category of free-riders when they use their bullshit ADHD diagnosis to obtain special considerations at school and university and in other contexts that are not available to regular hard working honest people. Like a few extra weeks for their assignments, a few extra hours to complete their exams. Stuff like that.

I think I’m done now. Especially since I didn’t even understand the post I’ve just responded to.

I’m not 100 % sure I understand what you asking me to answer.

As to the difference between me and anyone else around here it’s primarily that I’m usually worse at most things that really matter in life. And possibly also that I have less shame, more aberrant sexual tastes, and mostly no problem with the state of liberal democro-capitalism in most of countries I’d ever spend time in as well as generally hating people who complain without offering practical solutions and pitching in to fix things.

So it’s quite rare for me to write a post like the one you have picked up on cause it went further than just being a general observation of the facts and turned into what is clearly a personally felt complaint now that I’ve re-read it after you brought it back to my attention.

I think I might double down though. And my comments are restricted to Australia though people with more local knowledge in other places might say the issues exist there.

I’ve been a drug fiend and occasional uncontrollable addict for 35 years. But mostly I’ve been a pretty solid citizen who pays a fuckload of taxes most of which is used to support our welfare system and our universal heath care system. I totally believe ideologically in both systems and am happy and proud to live in a country that has them. I even donate more than my taxes every year to certain parents of both systems that I think are exemplary.

But what I fucking hate and have hated my whole life (and I’m generally a full of love for my fellow man kind of person) are malingerers and free-riders. People who have the physical, mental, and most importantly moral capacity to give a bit more to society and takes a bit less. The way our welfare system and health care systems are designed creates great incentives for malingerers and free riders of all kinds.

That is the necessary background to understanding my previous cranky post about drug fiends scamming scripts and soaking up health and welfare resources in all kinds of scammy ways. I’ve been through both public and private rehabs and psych hospitals and met so many people who are professional parasites on these systems. I’ve also have had many drug world associates who live in public/welfare housing. Just the other day I visited one who had enough meth in his government provided apartment to buy a waterfront mansion in Sydney’s best suburbs and maybe get a yacht to park in front of it. But every week he’s down the dole office making sure he gets that $200.

I think I’ve gone off topic in a kind of stream of consciousness ranty essay here. I’m not sure why. I didn’t sleep well last night and my dog has just shat through the house so I’m not in a good mental state.

But basically, with plenty of evidence on BL to validate my point, stim fiends who go to elaborate lengths to fake ADHD to secure a regular and legitimate supply of government subsidised amphetamine from their government subsidised doctor are quite common and fall into my category of free-riders. They also very often fall into my category of free-riders when they use their bullshit ADHD diagnosis to obtain special considerations at school and university and in other contexts that are not available to regular hard working honest people. Like a few extra weeks for their assignments, a few extra hours to complete their exams. Stuff like that.

I think I’m done now. Especially since I didn’t even understand the post I’ve just responded to.
Well,
I did not mean to have complicated things. I understood something differently based on what you stated.
I misinterpreted and wasn't clear about expressing the point I intended.
Now, I to agree, that obtaining a mansion while medicine is being funded by any government is not right because I feel it is not right particularly, when the person is faking it in order to access and misuse any substance for re recreational purposes.
Again, I'm sorry.

What? I don’t even get a shout-out? A name-drop? A thread-link! What! What!?

OP, If you have a second or two (more like an hour or two) stroll on over and check out my thread on the subject. It’s entitled “Self-Medicating ADHD with Meth” it's a great read: https://www.bluelight.org/xf/threads/self-medicating-adhd-with-meth.889218/

(Low-Dose) Orally-Applied Methamphetamine is hands-down, without-a-doubt, the best goddamn ADHD Medication on the face of this planet. It's clean. It's crisp. It doesn't have any nasty jittery side effects like adderall/ritalin. It last forever. It's also highly Neuroprotective and promotes Neurogenesis (In Low-Doses). I mean the list goes on-and-on. The stuff is brilliant:

rURYz1D.jpg

lhvDFoI.jpg

2BDUfz0.jpg

6KAJbod.jpg

3G31KGn.jpg

The downside is it has a tendency to drive you absolutely batshit insane if you over-do it. So be careful!

Let me repeat:

The downside is it has a tendency to drive you absolutely batshit insane if you over-do it. So be careful!

That was not my experience.

When taken orally in Low-Doses Meth doesn't produce the intense euphoria that is so commonly experienced by users who freebase. It's smoother. It's almost like an entirely different drug. You take it orally once per day in the morning, that's it. Maybe, MAYBE, a tiny maintainer-dose around Noon. Maybe. Absolutely, positively no more after 12:00PM. That is the golden rule. Absolutely, positively, do not re-dose after 12:00PM (It lasts so long you really don't need to, anyways). Exercise at night, eat good foods, make sure you have several hobbies that you're actively engaged in. Just lead a normal life.

Now, eventually I did wind up taking a little too much and going a bit batty on it, but I'm Bi-Polar and it was during the pandemic etc. And yes, it still has been causing me a few problems as of late, even in low doses. But I attribute that more to my underlying Bi-Polar diagnosis and the unknown quality/purity of street Meth more than anything, That said, I still never, ever used more than 200MG a day, even during the worst of it. I just don't like that level of stimulation? It's over-kill. It's too much. It's not fun.

Meth is a Medication. Take it orally as prescribed. Never, ever freebase it. Freebasing is the devil. Freebasing is what causes problems. Bigtime problems.

Last edited: