• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

[MEGA] The Wax/Honey Oil/Dabbing Mega thread vs. Dab city bitch, dab dab city bitch

Forget the shatter technique. Just throw the butane can in the freezer (that way it comes out straight as liquid) then put the tube INTO the water and blast. Make sure the bottom of the tube is INSIDE the water, just do it in a bowl. It's so simple. Scoop out shit and your good.

I just tried the water an it works grate but I fill mason jar full of weed then fill the jar full of liquid butane an t let it sit for a Lil then u take 2 peice lid off an replace the middle with 1 or 2 coffee filters then pour the liquid in warm water then after that I put it in a dehumidifier ( same kind u use for mushrooms/food) until its dry .

I just tried the water an it works grate but I fill mason jar full of weed then fill the jar full of liquid butane an t let it sit for a Lil then u take 2 peice lid off an replace the middle with 1 or 2 coffee filters then pour the liquid in warm water then after that I put it in a dehumidifier ( same kind u use for mushrooms/food) until its dry .

Hmm, you need to make sure the liquid is coming out in the water (or maybe you did and I misunderstood) .. How did the results look? Does is smell like straight thc and zero butane (like a 8ball should stank like a ounce of dank chronic I'd say) ? It should be very easy to handle with your hands also . Let me know.

Nice pics, Livinginthealps.

If you don't purge, then a lot of the butane and whatever's in the can is left over. This will collapse your lung and is worse than just smoking... BHO is ONLY healthy if it has been heated and vacuum purged AT THE SAME TIME

Sorry but this is false, and there's no need for any sort of purging technique if you are using pure butane.

I also have no idea why anyone would store butane cans in the freezer since depressurization from a can kept at room temperature will also force the temperature of the butane below 0* C where it turns into liquid regardless.

Colibri is the brand to look for in canned butane, although impurities are easy to look for with the ol' mirror test, which can be performed by spraying some canned butane onto a clean bit of mirror and seeing if there's anything left after the butane evaporates. If there is then that will definitely wind up in your product, if there isn't then for all intents and purposes it's clean enough to make BHO without purging needed.

Nice pics, Livinginthealps.

Sorry but this is false, and there's no need for any sort of purging technique if you are using pure butane.

I also have no idea why anyone would store butane cans in the freezer since depressurization from a can kept at room temperature will also force the temperature of the butane below 0* C where it turns into liquid regardless.

Colibri is the brand to look for in canned butane, although impurities are easy to look for with the ol' mirror test, which can be performed by spraying some canned butane onto a clean bit of mirror and seeing if there's anything left after the butane evaporates. If there is then that will definitely wind up in your product, if there isn't then for all intents and purposes it's clean enough to make BHO without purging needed.

Even if your using pure butane you need to purge. Why would you not need to purge the tane out of your concentrate? I don't often use canned butane (and I recycle it) but, when I do I prefer vector over colibri, newport, power etc. That is after experimentation and comparing the MSDS of all brands I do consider newport to be the runner up. But, the are all "clean" as they will be from a can. But, in reality "ronson" which most tend to believe is a shit brand. Is 99% butane and NO propane. So in reality, their companies MSDS looks the cleanest of canned butanes available.

Even if your using pure butane you need to purge. Why would you not need to purge the tane out of your concentrate?

You're making the assumption that butane remains as residue in the THC. With a low boiling point, phase separation occurs quickly so the butane will orient itself on top, where it evaporates off. If any remains, the product is still a solution and that should be obvious by how it's still cold and liquid. Ultimately, you're going to burn or at least vapourize the product anyway, so there's no sense splitting hairs over something that turns into CO2 and H2O. Hell, I'm sure the city air is a lot more toxic than the inhalation of a stray butane molecule.

Even if your using pure butane you need to purge. Why would you not need to purge the tane out of your concentrate?

This is true. Anyone who has had BHO fresh from the extractor AND then tried heated vacuum purged amber FROM THE SAME STRAIN, SAME PLANT EVEN will tell you there's a difference. By the smell, taste and effects you can easily tell there is some butane or other chemical from the can still in the fresh shit. Sorry The Dr but your wrong.

You're making the assumption that butane remains as residue in the THC. With a low boiling point, phase separation occurs quickly so the butane will orient itself on top, where it evaporates off. If any remains, the product is still a solution and that should be obvious by how it's still cold and liquid. Ultimately, you're going to burn or at least vapourize the product anyway, so there's no sense splitting hairs over something that turns into CO2 and H2O. Hell, I'm sure the city air is a lot more toxic than the inhalation of a stray butane molecule.

Like I said, I mostly* use lab grade solvents. I still purge it every time. There is a HUGE difference in quality of product. Ever tried to dab oil that has not been purged? It sparks on the nail intensely. Purged oil does not do that... But, you are right tane' has such a low boiling point. I think it gets trapped in the oil though.

I can see where the confusion comes from. A straight butane extraction will also wash plant terpenes and chlorophyll into the finished product. By purging away that gunk you're further purifying the THC, but the extra plant gunk is not harmful to toke. To reiterate: impurities in a straight butane extraction are from the plant, not from butane residue.

Maybe give me an example of your extraction process. I don't have any plant matter in my finished product. But, I have made oil in many different ways and have run oil hundreds of times and NEVER have I not purged it. I'm not following you here.
:?

Just a straight butane wash, strained through a coffee filter before it hits the evap dish. Similar to this. I'm not going to continue discussion on this, I can't just link you sources because I've refined my knowledge of this over years from more informed forums (Overgrow, specifically) and personal relations. If you choose to believe otherwise that's your business, you can always ask a chemist.

I follow you now. When you only say a "straight butane extraction" that doesn't really describe what you were doing.
You most definitely have much more plant matter in that type of extraction using a coffee filter.Any reason you dont use a much smaller micron screen?
I have done many types of extractions as mentioned before. Pretty much any feasible way to make errll. I have done washes they way you describe with many other solvents besides butane. Even then I need to evaporate and residual solvent.

Basically, your saying the boiling point is so low that it evaporates before you need to "purge" it. Especially, because when you smoke it the heat should take care of any residual tane'. It's possible but, I don't think I would ever ingest such an extraction. That is similar to if I ran a tube and let it "air purge" which in reality would not take out every last bit of tane'... at least that's my experience and opinion from make many many many pounds of high quality oil that gets tested. There is a big difference in my oil that is freshly extracted with no purge vs after purge. Certainly not going to get oil like my second picture (which is my preference)

But, with that all said I don't doubt you can make good oil. But, from my extensive experience with oil and all types of medical concentrates there would be some residual tane' trapped in the oil. Can you post a picture of your oil?

Maybe give me an example of your extraction process. I don't have any plant matter in my finished product. But, I have made oil in many different ways and have run oil hundreds of times and NEVER have I not purged it. I'm not following you here.
:?

I'm not following him either

I follow you now. When you only say a "straight butane extraction" that doesn't really describe what you were doing.
You most definitely have much more plant matter in that type of extraction using a coffee filter.Any reason you dont use a much smaller micron screen?
I have done many types of extractions as mentioned before. Pretty much any feasible way to make errll. I have done washes they way you describe with many other solvents besides butane. Even then I need to evaporate and residual solvent.

Basically, your saying the boiling point is so low that it evaporates before you need to "purge" it. Especially, because when you smoke it the heat should take care of any residual tane'. It's possible but, I don't think I would ever ingest such an extraction. That is similar to if I ran a tube and let it "air purge" which in reality would not take out every last bit of tane'... at least that's my experience and opinion from make many many many pounds of high quality oil that gets tested. There is a big difference in my oil that is freshly extracted with no purge vs after purge. Certainly not going to get oil like my second picture (which is my preference)

But, with that all said I don't doubt you can make good oil. But, from my extensive experience with oil and all types of medical concentrates there would be some residual tane' trapped in the oil. Can you post a picture of your oil?

No, sorry, I haven't made any in a while. Now that I think about it, the last time I posted a pic of my oil was here on BL but that was years ago so the link is probably dead. The terpenes and THC tend to separate in the dish after the butane's evapped, sometimes I've been more selective with what I scrape and the resulting oil was more transparent in appearance but not much difference otherwise. Doing a wash with less butane would result in less of the chlorophyll washing out and the resulting colour being lighter. There's a lot of variance depending on the amounts of materials used, how the herb is packed and even the diameter of the extractor. I started using the coffee filter because it was the most accessible and just kept doing it that way to keep cost down. Absolute purity was not a consideration for me as I started doing BHO just to get clean smoke from moulded herb.

Happy 710 everyone dablife :) :)

I can't wait to go to the First ever 710 cup this weekend.~~~~~~ I love OIL

Just got my first rig.. ordering an adjustable 18mm nail and torch tonight...

think I got everything picked out..

Rig+Titanium Nail+Really nice torch w/ 5 year warranty and extra butane.. 225 dollars.. not bad at fucking all.

butane torches are simple and compact, but expensive to operate. i find using a propane torch is cheap as fuck, tanks last a long time, and are hot (quick to heat the ti).

swing arms are sweet.

What is the best way to get honey oil out of a little bottle? I've heated up a needle and put that into it, but it's painstaking. I'm not sure if heating the bottle itself is a good idea because it might not be glass.

What is the best way to get honey oil out of a little bottle? I've heated up a needle and put that into it, but it's painstaking. I'm not sure if heating the bottle itself is a good idea because it might not be glass.

you can try freezing it, trying to get chunks out frozen. i keep the oil I make frozen, because its easy to handle that way.

if its not glass, then I would scrape what I can out, then use iso to get the rest out (then evap the iso)

if glass heat it and pour it out.

Hmm.... if it is a hard to work liquid oil then I would assume the container would be glass. Especially since that's by far the most logical way to remove the sticky oil from the vial. I would use a dabber of some kind that is bigger than a needle and heat it up. If you heat it and it is large enough you should be able to heat the oil enough to drip it out.
I would maybe double boil it. Make sure to monitor the temp so it doesn't get hot to the touch. If it is just warmed slightly you should be able to pour it into a new open container.

Just as a minor aside, if I have a container with such a small amount of oil contained in it that it becomes troublesome to remove, I will crumple a rizzla up inside out, heat the oil container as much as possible, and smear the rizzla against the inside of the container. I've found this to be the most effective method of completely cleaning a vial or container of its residual oil.
If you want a last dab and want to put the time and effort into it, freezing works to make the oil brittle and easy to break from the sides of the container. Beforehand you should use warm/hot water on the exterior of the container to accumulate or puddle the oil together, then freeze. I've found that makes it easier to collect, but definitely consumes more time.