MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

Are you asking about at home or during class?

I had this discussion with one of my professors earlier today, actually, in relation to my study habits, how I perform on tests, etc., and I seriously cannot read when someone is anywhere near me and when I'm alone, I can't read anything unless I have some sort of background noise, usually a TV. As far as at school, forget it.

Ok so my finals coming up, I find it better to study at school cuz i've got a lot of brothers n sisters that like to make a ruckuss. What do u recommend?

Last edited:
Ok so my midterms coming up, I find it better to study at school cuz i've got a lot of brothers n sisters that like to make a ruckuss. What do u recommend?

That depends on what works for you. What works for me doesn't work for most people I know, so...

Find what environment and settings work the best for you, and make sure to give yourself plenty of time to study.

When I was in undergrad, I found it nearly impossible to study in academic buildings or the school library. There were just too many distractions/temptations. And I couldn't work in my dorm room, even though I often had a single room, because the dorms were loud and again, there was temptation. I often opted to study at local coffeeshops or public libraries. I would try and purposefully go to places where I couldn't get an internet connection unless using the web was imperative for what I was doing. Luckily, I only lived about 75 minutes from my family's place, so I often would spend weekends at home with my family when I really needed to buckle down on a take-home exam or a big project, as nothing beat a quiet room and a never-ending supply of mother's tea :)

Other times I would just go nocturnal, getting my best work done between 3 and 8 in the morning, when the only other people in the academic buildings at those times were people sharing my strategy. This can suck depending on your daily schedule, but missing a class or two was justified by 5 hours of uniterrupted work the nights before.

In grad school it was sweet, since I shared an office with someone who was never there :)

In all honesty, if you REALLY feel like you cannot concentrate, and it's worse than the typical college-induced "socialized ADD," then you could talk with your/a doctor about this and see if you have clinical ADD/ADHD. There are plenty of people who can and do benefit from ADD/ADHD medication and/or theropy and are helped by doing so in a *responsible* fashion.

As for actual motivations to find the optimal way to get your work done, well for me I was always extra-motivated knowing that I was bankrolling my own education, and if I didn't pass, I'd be screwing myself financially very badly. Also, during the times that I was in relationships, my partner and I would always want to do well in order to impress each other and such. Maybe find a girl you like, and convince yourself that she'd be attracted to a smart and sucessful version of you? On a more light-hearted note, make an agreement with a buddy that if you don't get above a certain grade on a test or project, then you receive some form of punishment ;)

Ipod, pack of ciggerettes, a few redbulls and complete solitude for atleast two hours.

I work at a grocery store in the health and beauty department. Its my job to put all the products on the shelf (stock) when they come on the truck, organize all the left over products (backstock, keep everything clean and in order as well as take care of any problems with the codes and stuff.

But I just can't keep motivated. I only work from 10am to 2pm and it just drags.
I will mess around with stupid stuff, socialize rather than putting stuff away and organize.
I'm just overwhelmed with all the things I have to do.
Do you guys have any tips for staying motivated at work?

If you socialize, it is that part of yourself that needs agnowledgement, and the structural part of yourself is the one that makes you feel bored-the organizational.
It is understandable that you feel bored.
Why not ask your boss if you can work in the cash registers for a while, where you can talk to the customers, but since you know your limitations, to reduce your talkativeness to the minimum.
In time, you might be able to get back into organization again.

Well I'm not doing that job anymore and I'm only getting 3 hours a week. Certainly not enough to live on so I'm looking for another job.

Also, during the times that I was in relationships, my partner and I would always want to do well in order to impress each other and such. Maybe find a girl you like, and convince yourself that she'd be attracted to a smart and sucessful version of you? On a more light-hearted note, make an agreement with a buddy that if you don't get above a certain grade on a test or project, then you receive some form of punishment ;)

I've never tried that. even tho i'm still a freshmen here in college.
You said ur family lives 75miles from ur place, that's cool cuz my folks live about 30 miles, out in east bootah fuck Alabama. It really is quite there. The only problem is my Aunt that staie's their and talks the entire time i'm there about how she saw aliens the other night. So I walk and get lost intentionality in the pasture with a quilt, and some bug spray(along with my books).

I've only done this once because i'm scared of my aunt, and she tells me that i'm a failure, so i'm hesitant in going there.

I know what you mean going somewhere quiet.
As for my ADD, I'm in the Army ROTC lol adderal is a nonooo!!!
Coffee is my life line now.

Did you manage to get throu college without ADD medicine?

I've never tried that. even tho i'm still a freshmen here in college.
You said ur family lives 75miles from ur place, that's cool cuz my folks live about 30 miles, out in east bootah fuck Alabama. It really is quite there. The only problem is my Aunt that staie's their and talks the entire time i'm there about how she saw aliens the other night. So I walk and get lost intentionality in the pasture with a quilt, and some bug spray(along with my books).

I've only done this once because i'm scared of my aunt, and she tells me that i'm a failure, so i'm hesitant in going there.

Is she reasonable enough to respond well to something like "If you think I am a failure, can I prove to you through getting good grades that I am not? Or at least work my way back toward gaining your approval? But it would help me a great bit if I could have some privacy while I stay here, because I want to be able to focus as best as possible?"

If she cannot work with that, then I sympathize (my mother too is a talker) and maybe going home to seek privacy isn't the best bet.

I know what you mean going somewhere quiet.
As for my ADD, I'm in the Army ROTC lol adderal is a nonooo!!!
Coffee is my life line now.

Is it still not allowed if you're given a genuine script for it by a doctor? I don't know the army's official stance on prescription medicines. rangrz, any help?

Is she reasonable enough to respond well to something like "If you think I am a failure, can I prove to you through getting good grades that I am not? Or at least work my way back toward gaining your approval? But it would help me a great bit if I could have some privacy while I stay here, because I want to be able to focus as best as possible?"

If she cannot work with that, then I sympathize (my mother too is a talker) and maybe going home to seek privacy isn't the best bet.

Is it still not allowed if you're given a genuine script for it by a doctor? I don't know the army's official stance on prescription medicines. rangrz, any help?

Awesome dude, that ment a lot. im going over there now. Thanks man <3<3

I have to be in an area with no distractions in order to study, so the library is my favorite place to sit down and crank out some hw. There is absolutely nothing to do in a library. No computer, tv or anything. I never take notes from reading that's assigned and have never touched a highlighter. The best way (but definitely the most stressful way) for me to get shit done is to procrastinate til close to the deadline, because I want to succeed so I get my shit done no matter what, and if I procrastinate til the very end I'm forced to sit down and do it. Adderall is a wonderful study tool.

All through highschool I never studied. Never really had too. So I don't have any study habitats. Normally I'd sit in class and read the work/textbook and that was enough to pass test with A's and B's. :)

I do plan to continue my education though. This "studying" thing..*sigh* I know I will have to do it to get further with my education. :(

Omg I just lost my 5 page essay!! Agh wtf!
Tips for anyone always stay organized and never be lazy.
(specially you stoners :p)

Im in F maths class but acing everything else specially science, I love biology. This year is the only year I have worked hard in but I'm in the downer maths cause all I spent year nine on was jijjing school and drinking and shit. Big mistake. I want to go to uni and study veterinary science...

I try to study like I should be now but come on posting on bluelight seems like a better idea atm :p

Mine are very poor.
I wonder if this will be problematic...soon.

ebola

I find that studying with a partner is the only way homework will ever be interesting enough to actually do. uh esp english homework...

Or you could try handcuffing yourself to a desk and have a friend take the key and tell them to come back later.

I like to get out of my apartment to study. I've heard it's really good to designate a place in your home to study and only use it for that. Unfortunately, I don't have a huge space to devote to this. Thus, I always study in this coffee shop around the corner or in the school's library. I do best at the library with my study partner but anything is better than my couch, lol.

Have you ever pulled "all nighters" in exam time?

Ok so Yay I have my finals this week!! I don't sleep good at all, and if I do sleep it doesn't feel worth it. So I'm thinking about pulling at least an all nigher tonight, study till like 4AM, and taking a niceeeeee hot bath. So my question has anyone done this before, and is it safe?
Like my teacher tells me it's a bad idea because I'll forget everything if I stay up all night...(it's not like i'm reading 14 chapters of biology.)

Is it safe to stay up and study???

Also what do you suggest "night studying"? Do you study better reading, making note-cards, re-writing notes, making your own test's, or making questions in your Alphabits cereal. What works for you best.

I also found out that Bluelight is a distraction so after 10ish when my libary closes i'm going straight to my room with no internet and breaking up my book bag.

What do you suggest to begin with?

Help me! Thanks :) <3 <3

All nighters are part of the game in college. If you're real self motivated, you get your shit done during the day and don't have to resort to all nighters. Easier said than done.

I never really cared for school but I was lucky to have other ways of getting by. Just make notecards, re write them, memorize, and you will be just fine.

Tomer

ha, for SURE! sometimes with the help of some Adderol ;). Definitely the best tool while studying during exam time, or anytime you have a shitload of work or a 10page paper due like the next day. Im pretty sure its safe, as long as your not stayin up days in a row or doing it a couple days a week or something. i think you'll be straight man.
good luck

for me note cards and re-writing information works, but everyone's got their own way of studying. depends if you are a visual learner, hands on learner, etc....