MEGA - Studying, Exams, Stress, and coping with them

Get a commission job or a job with prospects. At the moment you're just working on reverse commission, do as little work as possible without getting the sack so you still get the pay.

Never thought of it that way. I've always had jobs, and it seems almost all jobs work this way, that are paid via reverse commission. You're there to meet minimum expectations, not to perform well.

I really like my job so staying motivated there isn't hard.. its something I look forward to doing every day. Other jobs have been hard but I simply did it for the pay and sacked up.

TwisteTexan, please try and refrain from suggesting (or alluding to) the use of drugs to improve one's ability to do work. According to the E&C Forum Guidelines, we discourage talk about performance-enchancing drugs in this forum, as the HR dicussion behind such is better suited in other forums. Otherwise, welcome to E&C!

Let's try and keep it to conversation about legal ways to stay motivated. -Redleader

Dude, it's called life.

You have a job, you need the income obviously, and in the bad state the economoy is in, would you seriously complain about getting $10 per hour when others do MORE work for LESS money and ten times more hours?!

That is retail. You lay something out nicely, set all the stock up, even relay it, and another worker fucks it up. If you get pissed off and stressed that badly over it, complain to your manager that your co workers are not working to the standard it should be kept at, or resign.

If it is your department, then you need to make sure whoever is looking after it when you aren't there, does their job properly or keep complaining to your boss until something gets done. Or, ask for more hours at work so you are there overseeing it all the time.

Agree 100%.

PT, I can't believe you're seriously complaining about making $10 an hour! Geez. My friend has been working as barista for 3.5 years and she BUSTS her ass everyday and makes $9. I've worked retail and no offense but you've got it pretty easy right now...

what eDDe9 says makes sense to me.

i make $4 an hour bartending. seeing patrons come in as dollar signs helps.

it's heartbreaking when they sit for 4 hours and leave an 8% tip.
then i get angry, hope they drive into a ditch, and bust out the patron shots.

this kind of work is not meant to be rewarding. we do menial work or hard labor. we pay our bills. that' s about it.

i cannot wait until graduation!

I've never understood this miserable attitude people take with their jobs. If I get fed up with a job, I quit and do something else. This economy is all about working for, and marketing yourself. The older and more experienced you become, the bigger your skill set becomes and the easier it is to branch out into new things.

Right now I can log on to my University's website and take 1 of 100 jobs that will pay me $10hr part-time, and involves everything from helping in a lab, assembling a giant telescope, or playing characters in Second Life. I can go be a guinea pig for a dozen psychology/sociology grad studies which all pay $10 a session. I can ref a volleyball tournament this weekend, then help my buddy move content for his web business. That's just off the top of my head. All those things I can either take or leave. My point is, even if you have a severe case of job ADD, there are options if you align yourself with what's going on around you.

You obviously work part-time and it's the summer. I'm assuming you have time to put out feelers for other jobs. I suggest you do so. If nothing else, you get to know more about what's available in your community, and get one step closer to figuring out what you like/dislike. This will open doors, and being happy is all about having options.

Another option, if you're sick of working is to go to school. You can also take a training course, or volunteer in a role that interests you.

TL;DR version: If something that's just paying for gas and pizza is making you this miserable, stop doing it.

Last edited:
Just started a new job, its pure commission, no flat rate whatsoever.

11am to 10pm mon-fri. Made £260 on first two days. Although 2x£50 was newbie bonuses. I'm prepared to go weeks with only £120 take home because I know some weeks I'll take £800.

I live for this, not everyone does. Do what makes you happy.

I've been working at the same branch on and off for 4 years or so and I pretty much run my department. My boss (department manager) left last year. They didn't replace him, but they didn't move me up OR offer me any additional help.

I have the day manager who is on a power trip right now, breathing down my neck and I hope he knows I'd love to get my hands on him. WTF does he care? It has NOTHING to do with him in any way if I do or do not finish things or whatever.

My motivation has always been caffeine, lately I've bumped up to MASSIVE amount or Tramadol (I get pretty spun on the stuff) and I'm STILL not getting everything done, even staying an hour late.
*Beats head against wall*

sorry bout that... No drugs, just motivation... Hmm... masturbation every few hours in the restroom seems to keep me happy at work :)

If you can't stay motivated you probably don't like what you're doing.

Oh yeah, and for all the people who keep saying she should be greatful to have a job making $10/hr, you obviously don't know how step into someone else's shoes and see things from their perspective. Cut her some slack, after all I bet you complain about things in your life that the next person wouldn't complain about.

I hate when people get all high and mighty

Well I started the job before the economy went in the toliet years ago, left and they let me stay at the wage.
The boss always stays I don't get what I need to done. AKA I don't move fast enough, I've tried sober, well slept, I'm tried any drug I can think of. I still can't move fast enough.
And at this rate, yeah I don't like it. Never found a job that I always did, after awhile its "fuck this." But I'll take anything I can get. I can't spend another 6 months with no job and the state saying I didn't work their long enough to get unemployment.

Thanks for what you said chucky. Like I have always said, there is always someone who has it worse than you, this is just an instance of that.

Are you seriously whining about working for 10 dollars per hour for four hours a day? You make forty dollars a day, to do BARELY SHIT? You said it yourself, that all you have to do is organize that department, and there aint nothing to do and its boring, etc, and then you say, I cant handle "ALL" that i have to do?

I use to make 9 dollars per hour SCRUBBING TOILETS AND FLOORS, LITERALLY busting my ass, injured my back so i still have constant pain over a year later that affects how i can work. And now I got a new job as a waitress, and i make...>TWO DOLLARS PER HOUR!!! And I aint got any tips yet! So i make two fucking dollars per hour to run all around bringin out food and standin on my feet all day.

Are you seriously complaininn about this? its immature, thats all there is to it. If there was something in your life that you needed, you would be happy to have this job. obviously your needs are met and the things you want are provided for you becuz if it wasnt, you would be hungry for it, you would be out there workin as hard as you could tryin to stack up dough. when you sit around and be complacent, and feel that a 10 dollar per hour jobb aint 'worth it' you got your priorities straight fucked up. Sorry if thats harsh but its reality. You should show some appreciation for how lucky you are instead of takin it for granted and bitchin about it. How to stay motivated? I dont know. like i said, for people who NEED the money, motivation aint a problem.

Its ok, I think a manager is trying to get me fired. I think me not being able to "move fast enough" to make them happy and just getting sick a lot (mental and physical issues) I'm not going to have the job much longer. Then my life WILL be flushed down the shitter.

Lacey K- I did those jobs too. Well cleaning offices, several different ones. I also would work graveyard cleaning the floors at grocery stores...

like i said obviously you dont really need it, if you did you would be concerned about losing it and do somethin about it, you feel me :\

Yeah right, If I lose my job, I can't drive to school, drive to see my bf, who can't drive to see me, can't pay my tuition, can't find another job likely and can't pay my bills, no I'm not fucking worried about it. I'll take care of it the best way I can but there is only so much you can do.

I'm going to do ALL I can do keep it. Its all I have to keep me going! I lose everything. Fucking bastards. Don't move fast enough, take ONE day off and the manger is going to try to fuck me over I KNOW it. Well, a Dr's note will shut his ass up. I get SO sick of this fucking DRAMA. Thats why most of the time I manage my department alone. But now everyone wants to be in my buiness. I was fine without you and I'm fine now, fuck off.
Ya know.

Last edited: