Let's talk about BREAKS baby!

isnt that a refreshing break opposed to all the intelligent techno pounding through your speakers everyday?

i would die happy if I heard nothing but techno for the rest of my life

Im just starting to get into this stuff, its really hard to find clubs or parties that play this kind of stuff though, it seems like all they play at parties these days is trance, hardstyle or electro/house...Maybe im not looking hard enough but I have never even heard people in Australia talk about breaks. Dubstep is pretty popular here and people like to compare the 2 which I really dont get, dub isnt something I like, I find it boring and weird, breaks is way better.

Go on to youtube and theres this guy who can play breaks on his drumkit, it is fucking amazing, its not hard to find coz theres like 20 vids of him doing his thing, you will know its him coz he's German(i think).

You're about 8 years too late to find any breaks focused type parties. Breaks had the first heyday that crashed once everyone started associating it with Prodigy and Chemical Brothers, then got big again when Meat Katie, Rennie Pilgrem, JDS, Plump DJs ect were putting out good work. It's in a bit of a lull right now while the scenesters froth over electro and the breaks producers try to cash in on it.

You'll still find sporadic regular nights, like Hexadecimals Spectrum series, but breaks has never really been big enough to regularly command it's own parties, unless you're planning on moving to Florida I guess....but that's it's own style of breakbeat.

The cool thing about it is that it can be more versatile than most genres, so you'll often find one or two breaks guys sandwiched in between house and techno at one party, underground hip-hop and idm at a second, or dubstep and jungle at another. There's even industrial variants, and really techy breakbeat subgenres have always fit in well with ebm tracks, so you could potentially hear something along the lines of breaks at a place that regularly does goth/cyberpunk nights.

Last edited:
yeah, the versatility of breaks is one of the best thins about the genre. i've closed for all kinds of totally non-electronica bands playing breaks and most people haven't even batted an eyelash until all of sudden they look around and it's a full on dance party.

no, I wouldn't say that. I wouldn't call that breakcore stuff breaks, nor would I call drum and bass breaks, nor dubstep. like with a lot of electronic music (and almost all music I guess), I don't think there are really rigid defining features that make something breaks. not having a 4-on-the-floor bassdrum is definitely necessary for something to be breaks, but it certainly isn't sufficient.

You just kind of "know" when something is a breaks type track. Usually it will be between 110 - 140 bpm. The drum pattern may be similar to something you'd find in jungle/d&b, but obviously a lower tempo, probably more emphasis on the backbeat (2's and 4's)and the kick will usually be more prominent than you'd find in d&b. You're likely to see more of a funk or hip hop influence in the rhythm, but the melodic themes and the phrasing can be all over the place.

Breakcore is really a separate entity from the breaks we're talking about.

It'd be like comparing 70's funk to grindcore, even though they use the same basic instrumentation. I'm pretty sure you knew that though.

I'm with toa$t on his evaluation of Breakcore. As much as I've heard, it just sounds more like disjointed noodlings of sound than a fully realized genre. It's almost like industrial noise with a bit of bass.

_____

I own some Einstürzende Neubauten albums, but I rarely listen to them--except to revisit them for reference.

You just kind of "know" when something is a breaks type track. Usually it will be between 110 - 140 bpm. The drum pattern may be similar to something you'd find in jungle/d&b, but obviously a lower tempo, probably more emphasis on the backbeat (2's and 4's)and the kick will usually be more prominent than you'd find in d&b. You're likely to see more of a funk or hip hop influence in the rhythm, but the melodic themes and the phrasing can be all over the place.

that pretty much matches my definition.

d and k are ok to see live, but I tire of their stuff quickly. stantons had a few winners, but I find them pretty bland overall.

wow, the new general midi album is terrible. another one bites the dust.