Let's talk about BREAKS baby!

I am from Perth smokin' joe .
Parklife came over here for the first time this year.
Deekline played at subculture festival, 26th Nov.

Stanton Warriors coming up! looking forward to this indeed.

Been getting into:
Future Funk Squad
Dylan Rhymes
Force Mass Motion
UNKLE.

Would highly recommend the The Future Funk Squad Mix CD : BPM Vol. 2

Krafty is playing in Melb on 20 Jan.

I saw Street Punx (Syd) on Fri, and I'd have to say that it was the best breaks set I have ever heard anywhere..

sonicnature - what event is he playing at ?? I saw him on wednesday night,, Accompanied by MC Dynamite,,, the mc was avg but KK was great (as usual).

Am seeing Pendulum and General Midi tomorrow night. Seen General Midi a few months ago,, top breaks dj I really enjoyed his set so im looking forward to tomorrow night,, but Pendulum are who I really want to see :D

Yeah we had Pendulum here a couple weeks ago! El Horny is the master cuttah!!!!

I have previously loved General Midi.... (some of his recent releases leave a bit to be desired to be honest)

But I saw him do a really average DJ set like 14 months ago here in melbourne (didn't help that no-one was there). But I'm sure it wasn't indicative of his actual abilities

Kamikaze - Knowledge Upgrade - Breaks Mix

Here's a fresh breaks mix for everyone. A bit older (Oct.) but still slammin. Any feedback is welcome.

http://digitillmusic.com/files/Kamikaze_-_Knowledge_Upgrade.zip

01. Heuristic Audio - Poetry of Sound
02. TDR - Skater's Anthem
03. Factor E & Agent K - Start the Panic
8 Ball & MJG - Pimp Hard
04. Soma Rosa & Digital Underground - Say What You Say
05. Son of the Electric Ghost - Starve-4-This
Trick Daddy - Sugar
06. Eclipse - Lose Control
Booty Bouncers - Fame and Money
07. Fort Knox Five w/ Afrika Bambaataa and King Kamonzi - Radio Free D.C. (A. Skillz & Krafty Kuts remix)
08. Kamikaze - 808 Coldcock
09. Solar Chrome - I'm A Machine (E.V.A.C. remix)
Coolio - Gangsta's Paradise (vocal rework)
10. Kostek - Convictions
11. Icey - Collins Avenue
Too Short - Bounce That Thing
12. J-Break - Event Horizon
2Pac - Thug For Life
13. Velcro Fastner - Gone Mad
14. Viro - Lose Control
Warren G - Regulate
15. Stir Fry - Flying
Tag Team - Whoomp There It Is
16. Deekline & Ed Solo feat. Darrison - Touch Your Toes (Deekline & Wizard Remix)
17. Kamikaze - Bar King

Acen
old prodigy
Manix
Nebula II
4 hero

Love me some breakbeat

latest tasty treats to grace my decks......

eskmo - only a few (downbeat)
Phil K & Habersham - Cloudbrake (ausio therapy)
Nick Muir - Frankenstein (KG mix) (apache)
Mr Velcro Fastener - electric appliances (plump DJs remix)
Dopamine - Hold You (TCR)
Proper Filthy Naughty - Make a Move (10 kilo)
Backdraft - 24K (passenger)
Andy Jarrod - The Fourth K (koma & Bones Remix) (forged)

dopest!!!!!

Some of my favorites are:

Jackal & Hyde
Eros
Eric Baretta
Dynamix II
Trevor Rockwell
Dj Fixx
Deekline & Wizard
Factor E
Agent K
Stanton Warriors
Sharaz

My my where did all the breaks heads go?

After a dearth of breaks in the early party of 08, I'm starting to find more smash your face off killer breaks over the last few months. Few artists with wicked releases recently:

The Phat Riderz (Sierra Leone remix is insane)
Karl Sav (Tech You remix in particular)
4KUBA (Long time since i've seen anything from them)
Stereo:Type (This is what Control Z & Screwface are doing these days)
Future Funk Squad
NAPT
Eshericks

Anyone else got some other ideas as to where the pumping breaks are these days (please don't recite your generic nu skool artists at me here)

I love Prog Breaks, just made a CD last week after getting round to buying a few tracks and realised how fucking good mixing breaks is!

Anyone here in to that sort of stuff or got any to recommend? Or are there any more melodic breaks DJs out there?

Here is what I bought

Quivver - Boz Boz (Shiloh's just for Annie Mix) ( - one of my all time favourite tracks, sounds cool as fuck, has a good melody, quality vocal sample, perfect)
Fretwell & Retroid - Verticle Horizon
johan doh & myagi - still (beta remix)
flack.su - t-break (beta remix)
j hazen - 700ft (beta mix)

The Phat Riderz (Sierra Leone remix is insane)
Karl Sav (Tech You remix in particular)
4KUBA (Long time since i've seen anything from them)
Stereo:Type (This is what Control Z & Screwface are doing these days)
Future Funk Squad
NAPT
Eshericks

yes guy. we are totally on the same page with this. that new 4Kuba release is fucking aces (the 'cheap' one).

check out Plaza de Funk. trust me.

you're going to like groovediggerz too, if you don't already. they're been a bit disappointing lately though. their last really great track was their remix of soul of man - the drum.

I find breaks is such a fickle mistress. one day you'll find like 10 great tracks, and then nothing again for like 6 months. I also find breaks artists are really inconsistent. like, rogue element was ON FIRE for like a year there. I would literally buy his records without even listening to them first. but I haven't even come close to liking anything he has done for the last couple of years or so.

haha, and there are a couiple of good tunes on smokin' joe's list at the top of the page there. that was a good time for breaks.

I'm into a lot of 97-2004 era breaks...before it really got stale, and later infused with bad nu-electro. There are some beautiful new tracks that pop out every once in a while though

Mr No Hands
Afghan Headspin remixes
T.R.O.
Beep
MKM
Mr Psik
Eskmo (yes...he does breaks)
Matt Harder

I find breaks is such a fickle mistress. one day you'll find like 10 great tracks, and then nothing again for like 6 months. I also find breaks artists are really inconsistent. like, rogue element was ON FIRE for like a year there. I would literally buy his records without even listening to them first. but I haven't even come close to liking anything he has done for the last couple of years or so.

Haha I know exactly what you mean. 6 months ago I would have argued with the 'breaks is dead' camp. I've had my faith restored lately though. I have a couple of Plaza De Funk tracks lurking about, will have to dig them up. Unfortunately I'm gonna miss him playing this weekend due to no money at all. :(

iBreaks label has been pumping some quality stuff lately too.

I love Prog Breaks, just made a CD last week after getting round to buying a few tracks and realised how fucking good mixing breaks is!

Anyone here in to that sort of stuff or got any to recommend? Or are there any more melodic breaks DJs out there?

Here is what I bought

Quivver - Boz Boz (Shiloh's just for Annie Mix) ( - one of my all time favourite tracks, sounds cool as fuck, has a good melody, quality vocal sample, perfect)
Fretwell & Retroid - Verticle Horizon
johan doh & myagi - still (beta remix)
flack.su - t-break (beta remix)
j hazen - 700ft (beta mix)

Good to see that you are already on to BETA. Check out Jinx - Twilight 2000 (BETA remix).

I am reliably informed by mr. Karl Sav that BETA have a massive amount of releases & remixes in the pipeline for this year (few collabs with the 'sav apparently too).

Other artists that I would consider prog breaks:

-Hybrid (Absolutely awesome, check out the 'I Choose Noise' album and some of their newer releases on beatport)
-Future Funk Squad (releasing some good stuff lately and more to come)
-Baobinga & I.D. (Some amazing prog breaks in here, some not so)

Specific tracks you must check out:

Mesmer - Vibrations
AC Slater - Vertigo (Baobinga & I.D. Remix)
The Falls - Never (Karl Sav Remix)

As an aside to all breaks heads, for mixes, check out pecoe's blog:

http://www.breakzlinkz.com/

Usually 3 or 4 mixes a week, the back catalogue is amazing too.

I find breaks is such a fickle mistress. one day you'll find like 10 great tracks, and then nothing again for like 6 months.

this is so true. it's a continuous cycle for me: i'll be shopping, innocently peek at a few breaks tracks if my current flavors aren't working for me, and sometimes instantly unearth a pile of the dopest shit ever. this will get me excited about breaks again and i'll play some, convinced they have made a triumphant return. then as quickly as the influx of awesome began it drops off completely. everything starts to sounds the same. the level of suck actually pisses me off to the point that the tracks give me a headache. i then swear off breaks and regard the fans as trendy burner robot trash.

rinse and repeat.

Tranced, have you posted that prog breaks mix? we have similar tastes, although when i saw j hazen live i was totally bored. maybe i should give his production work more of a chance.